PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez "Sent Home"

reds44
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100921&content_id=14914490&vkey=news_stl&c_id=stl

The Cardinals have sent infielder Felipe Lopez home.

Manager Tony La Russa said on Tuesday that Lopez would not play for the club during the remainder of the season. The team is preparing to open a three-game series in Pittsburgh

"There's not an opportunity to get him in there," La Russa said.

Still waiting for you and the Cardinals to hit that stride, FeLo!

Brutus
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100921&content_id=14914490&vkey=news_stl&c_id=stl

Still waiting for you and the Cardinals to hit that stride, FeLo!

That's priceless: "there's not an opportunity to get him in there."

I understand not wanting to publicly berate the player, but that's rich right there.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
There's more to this story than meets the eye.

Captain Hook
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM

I sure hope so!;)

ochre
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
They signed Tim Hummel?

Roy Tucker
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Dang.

FeLo must have torched some bridges.

RedsManRick
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM

Lopez: I want to play!
LaRussa: Sorry Felipe, you've been bad. You're going to need to stay in the dugout.
Lopez: But I got to play a lot last year.
LaRussa: You were good last year.
Lopez: I'd be good again if you'd let me play. I got hurt but I'm all better now.
LaRussa: Sorry Felipe, you'll have to wait until next year. We invited Pedro over because you couldn't play and it's his turn now.
Lopez: But I don't want to wait. That's not fair. Pedro sucks.
LaRussa: Shhhh. Please be quiet. You're upsetting your teammates.
Lopez: Waaaah! Waaaah!
LaRussa: Go sit in the corner.
Lopez: No... you can't make me.
LaRussa: Actually..... I'm calling your mother. You're going home.

RedsManRick
09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
nm

Reds1
09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
crap, now my fantasy team is really in trouble.

MikeS21
09-21-2010, 06:08 PM
And to think FeLo at one time was the heir apparent to Barry Larkin ...

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Sounds like another attitude problem. That clubhouse must really be something. If Felo was a good guy I think they'd manage to keep him around another week and a half. He must really be a cancer

BCubb2003
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I guess he's not in their postseason plans.

CarolinaRedleg
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
How will Chris Carpenter explain that to his son?

redsmetz
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Did we have a thread discussing how the division would turn out this season? If so, we need to unlock whoever wrote that the Cardinals would flat out implode this season and we'd win the division. I hope someone didn't throw out the key.

For this Cardinals team, it just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. I've never loathed the Cardinals before, but this year? It's well deserved.

Wheelhouse
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Bad player. I wish the Cards had held onto him.

Oxilon
09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Perhaps it was the money?

The number of at-bats Lopez gets is a big factor in his $1.2 million worth of incentives. His 350th plate appearance triggers a $200,000 bonus, and every 50 plate appearances after that results in another $200,000 bonus. To max out, Lopez would need 600 plate appearances. Only Albert Pujols had more than 590 plate appearances on the 2009 Cardinals.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_8ce33035-0811-5be8-ae4f-90a1e8a88c00.html

Wheelhouse
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
It's actually Brandon Phillips' fault. FeLo lost his sense of time after the brawl.

reds44
09-21-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm watching the Cardinals game and apparently Lopez was late to one of their games in Chicago and he was also late to the game yesterday, so they cut him.

Atta boy FeLo!

membengal
09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Not just sent home, but given his unconditional release (I am listening to the Cards TV broadcast). He was late to a game in Chicago apparently, among other recent irritations to the club.

membengal
09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm watching the Cardinals game and apparently Lopez was late to one of their games in Chicago and he was also late to the game yesterday, so they cut him.

Atta boy FeLo!

Lol...you and me, reds44.

reds44
09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Lol...you and me, reds44.
I put on MLB.tv and they had the Pirates broadcast on but I switched it to the Cardinals broadcast to enjoy their misery.

:evil:

membengal
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I put on MLB.tv and they had the Pirates broadcast on but I switched it to the Cardinals broadcast to enjoy their misery.

:evil:

I know. It's delightful. That's one beaten down TV crew. And the Lopez thing appears to be a final gut punch to their TV morale. Apparently the Cards were worried about Lopez setting bad examples for their younger players...

Rojo
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm guessing the Cards are going to be looking for a culture overhaul next year.

Ghosts of 1990
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Icing on the cake

MattyHo4Life
09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Not just sent home, but given his unconditional release (I am listening to the Cards TV broadcast). He was late to a game in Chicago apparently, among other recent irritations to the club.

IIRC, that was the same game that Colby Rasmus was late for.

I don't get this decision at all. If you don't want to play him, then sit him on the bench. I hope Lopez does well wherever he is next year.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Perhaps it was the money?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_8ce33035-0811-5be8-ae4f-90a1e8a88c00.html

Interesting. He has 425 PAs so far this yr. His attitude probably cost him at least $200,000. His OPS dropped 200 pts this year. I can see why they're down on him

bucksfan2
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Interesting. He has 425 PAs so far this yr. His attitude probably cost him at least $200,000. His OPS dropped 200 pts this year. I can see why they're down on him

Or maybe his attitude is a result of the Cards not allowing him to reach his bonus.

If I were a baseball player and my team was holding me out of games so I didn't reach my bonus I would be a little pissed off too. There is always two sides to every story.

Unassisted
09-22-2010, 08:55 AM
"He was part of Plan B, frankly," Mozeliak said.That's from Oxilon's February article. Doesn't sound like he was ever considered an important part of the club's future plans... more like a stopgap. If he was an underperforming clubhouse cancer in addition to "Plan B," the bus ride from Stopgap to Expendable is very fast indeed.

OesterPoster
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm feeding off their misery. It's delectable.

"We're losing. What do you expect me to be? Happy?" catcher Yadier Molina said, not unpleasantly.

Chip R
09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Sounds like another attitude problem.

Yeah. He probably didn't whine and complain enough to suit the Cards.

traderumor
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Or maybe his attitude is a result of the Cards not allowing him to reach his bonus.

If I were a baseball player and my team was holding me out of games so I didn't reach my bonus I would be a little pissed off too. There is always two sides to every story.

I think it is justifiable that his performance was keeping him out of games. Not quite the fun of conspiracy theory, but more probable than the Cards worrying about some guy's $200K bonus.

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM

If he feels that way then he has a bad attitude. His OPS has fallen 200 pts this year. To continue to play him would be considered welfare.

I'm sure you looked at his stats and saw my post earlier, knowing that, I don't see your point. He is at the Mendoza line. How can you even bring up the possibility that the reason the Cards are not playing him is to keep him from reaching his bonus and not due to lack of production on his part?

There are not always two sides to a story and this is one of them. Make me a case where he deserved to continue to play based on his performance and I'll see your side

cumberlandreds
09-22-2010, 09:51 AM
The Nats released Lopez because of similar issues,IIRC. The Cards thought they could turn him into another project turned good like they have some others in the past. This one failed.

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
The Nats released Lopez because of similar issues,IIRC. The Cards thought they could turn him into another project turned good like they have some others in the past. This one failed.

Actually he was doing pretty well under Hal McKrae. It only fell apart recently

HokieRed
09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Hate to see the Cards do this. One of the first signs they're starting to make good decisions again. Doesn't it suggest something about the change in fortunes of the organizations that we're hoping Jim Edmonds can come back for the playoffs while they're worrying about the problems of Felipe Lopez?

Cedric
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Showing up to games late is a major issue. The guy isn't anywhere near good enough to justify that kind of behavior. I can't see how the Cardinals did anything wrong here.

Even if it was about the bonus isn't that a good decision? Why would someone earn a bonus by stinking on the field and not showing up on time?

REDREAD
09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Sounds like another attitude problem. That clubhouse must really be something. If Felo was a good guy I think they'd manage to keep him around another week and a half. He must really be a cancer

I think it's all part of their hardliner attitude.. Felipe was late, they weren't going to bring him back next year, so they just dumped him to make an example of him.

Felipe may have had an attitude, but this was a chance for LaRussa/Mo to show their power. Apparently they like to do that.

I'm so glad we have the "old school" GM that they dumped instead of a clueless stat prodigy. Not that all stat GMs are bad (there are some good ones), but right now, this Mo guy seems clueless.. That Westbrook trade really seemed to backfire. I admit I also underestimated the impact removing Ludwick would have.

Some of the comments after that article are amusing :)

smith288
09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah. He probably didn't whine and complain enough to suit the Cards.
+1

VR
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
In reality, they don't need him, they have Pedro Feliz to hold down 3rd for the next 5 years. :pray:

westofyou
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM

My little birdies told me that Lopez was moved by the Reds (and also strangely benched on his bobblehead night (I have on!!) ) for a myriad of the same reasons, I remember receiving some flak for that POV, but it really does happen all the time in the game (and other ones too)

RedsManRick
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
My little birdies told me that Lopez was moved by the Reds (and also strangely benched on his bobblehead night (I have on!!) ) for a myriad of the same reasons, I remember receiving some flak for that POV, but it really does happen all the time in the game (and other ones too)

And apparently, teams are willing to put up with that crap when you're playing well. It's when you struggle that that sort of stuff really comes in to play.

bucksfan2
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
And apparently, teams are willing to put up with that crap when you're playing well. It's when you struggle that that sort of stuff really comes in to play.

You can say that about pretty much every team. Winning makes character issues go away. When you lose all of a sudden those character issues are why you are losing.

Cedric
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Saw this on a Cardinal board and loved it.

"In honor of Felipe every Cardinal is going to get a neck tat."

Maybe it will work as well as the shaven head trick?

RFS62
09-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Saw this on a Cardinal board and loved it.

"In honor of Felipe every Cardinal is going to get a neck tat."

Maybe it will work as well as the shaven head trick?

They should do a commercial for Hair Club for Men.

MattyHo4Life
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM

I agree with that 100%. Lopez hasn't been playing very well either though.

MattyHo4Life
09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm so glad we have the "old school" GM that they dumped instead of a clueless stat prodigy. Not that all stat GMs are bad (there are some good ones), but right now, this Mo guy seems clueless.. That Westbrook trade really seemed to backfire. I admit I also underestimated the impact removing Ludwick would have.

I couldn't disagree with this comment more. I'm not saying that Mo is the best GM, and I have had my issues with some of his moves. However, the Westbrook/Ludwick trade isn't the reason that the Cards have been losing. Westbrook has been one of our best pitchers in September. He might actually have been our best pitcher in September. Westbrook has done a lot more than I expected of him. I would love to see Westbrook come back to St. Louis in 2011, but I don't see him taking the type of pay cut that would be necessary for him to return. I'm not too upset about that though, because I'm hoping that Kyle McClellan is in the rotation next year. Anyways, Jon Jay filled in for Ludwick fine in August. Luddy is having a much better Sept than Jay has, but that is really the least of the Cards September problems. The pitching has been bad except for Wainwright and Westbrook. Wainwright hasn't even been as good in September as he usually is. Westbrook has been our most reliable pitcher in September.... that is the real problem.

Hap
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
how many of you have one of these?

http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/1b/94/c1e1_12.JPG

pedro

I do.

OnBaseMachine
I do.

Me too.

camisadelgolf
09-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I had three, but I gave one to my girlfriend since he was her favorite player. She was also a huge Kearns fan in 2006.

REDREAD
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I couldn't disagree with this comment more. I'm not saying that Mo is the best GM, and I have had my issues with some of his moves. However, the Westbrook/Ludwick trade isn't the reason that the Cards have been losing.

Sure, Westbrook has pitched fine. But because the offense has struggled, he's only 2-4. Note, that is not his fault.

This is only one isolated incident, but it reminds me of Wayne Krivisky. A good GM knows how to build a club. Wayne K had no clue on how to build a club. Despite making some good trades, the big picture was lost and the team's W-L record declined every year under his watch. The overal talent level of the team decreased, despite a few great moves..

At the time, I thought the Ludwick trade was good. I'm obviously not a Cardinal expert.. Naturally, you can't solely tie cause and effect together, but with the benefit of hindsight, it seems that Westbrook was not the missing piece to bring the team back into contention. It seems like getting a bat would've been a better move.

Only time will tell if Mo can do the job, but he was put into a good position and failed this season. Maybe he can right the ship over the offseason.

WMR
09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I had three, but I gave one to my girlfriend since he was her favorite player. She was also a huge Kearns fan in 2006.

Damn let's hope she's not a Bruce or Votto fan now.

Kiss of death alert. :D

MattyHo4Life
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
At the time, I thought the Ludwick trade was good. I'm obviously not a Cardinal expert.. Naturally, you can't solely tie cause and effect together, but with the benefit of hindsight, it seems that Westbrook was not the missing piece to bring the team back into contention. It seems like getting a bat would've been a better move.

Right, but Ludwick hasn't played well since the trade either. The Cards needed Westbrook and another bat. Without Westbrook, Hawksworth would be in the rotation. I agree that adding Westbrook alone just wasn't enough. At the time they thought Freese would be back. There was no way to know that he would go down with another injury right after the trade deadline passed. I really think the Ludwick trade was a non factor, because the Cards needed that move and another move to make it work. We needed pitcher and a hitter, not just one. Like I said before, I'm not sold on Mo as a GM. I like what Luhnow has done with the drafts more than what Mo has done. Luhnow is the stats guy.... not really sure if Mo is. Oh... on a side note, Mo is the one that suggested that the Cards sign Ludwick in the first place.

REDREAD
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Right, but Ludwick hasn't played well since the trade either. The Cards needed Westbrook and another bat. Without Westbrook, Hawksworth would be in the rotation. I agree that adding Westbrook alone just wasn't enough. At the time they thought Freese would be back. There was no way to know that he would go down with another injury right after the trade deadline passed. I really think the Ludwick trade was a non factor, because the Cards needed that move and another move to make it work. We needed pitcher and a hitter, not just one. Like I said before, I'm not sold on Mo as a GM. I like what Luhnow has done with the drafts more than what Mo has done. Luhnow is the stats guy.... not really sure if Mo is. Oh... on a side note, Mo is the one that suggested that the Cards sign Ludwick in the first place.

Well, I agree that the Ludwick deal didn't exactly kill their chances either. It wasn't a major catastrophe. I guess in all fairness, we have to see how Mo does his job next year.

Chip R
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Me too.

camisadelgolf
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Damn let's hope she's not a Bruce or Votto fan now.

Kiss of death alert. :D
Her favorite player since 2006 has been Aaron Harang ("He looks like Shrek."). Her other current favorites are Paul Janish and Drew Stubbs.

The Operator
09-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Her favorite player since 2006 has been Aaron Harang ("He looks like Shrek."). Her other current favorites are Paul Janish and Drew Stubbs.Tell her to drop Janish and Stubbs and pick up CoCo as her unquestioned, unparalleled favorite. :thumbup:

camisadelgolf
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Tell her to drop Janish and Stubbs and pick up CoCo as her unquestioned, unparalleled favorite. :thumbup:
Not a chance. She hates CoCo.

traderumor
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Right, but Ludwick hasn't played well since the trade either. The Cards needed Westbrook and another bat. Without Westbrook, Hawksworth would be in the rotation. I agree that adding Westbrook alone just wasn't enough. At the time they thought Freese would be back. There was no way to know that he would go down with another injury right after the trade deadline passed. I really think the Ludwick trade was a non factor, because the Cards needed that move and another move to make it work. We needed pitcher and a hitter, not just one. Like I said before, I'm not sold on Mo as a GM. I like what Luhnow has done with the drafts more than what Mo has done. Luhnow is the stats guy.... not really sure if Mo is. Oh... on a side note, Mo is the one that suggested that the Cards sign Ludwick in the first place.I'm not following the logic here. The Cards needed a bat and a pitcher, so they traded a bat for a pitcher. Ludwick has a sustained track record of providing positively on offense, and Westbrook is pedestrian. He just is not a difference maker, and while he has kept the Cards in the game generally when he's pitched, he's done after 5-6 innings, regardless of how well he has pitched. If they needed to add a bat before trading Ludwick, they did themselves no favors by trading him.

And in the final analysis, one can try to justify this as a baseball trade, but it was really a matter of a guy getting shipped out because of a tiff with the manager.

KittyDuran
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM

I have 2... :p:

cumberlandreds
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm listening to the Cubs/Cards game and the Cubs announcers are saying the Padres have put in a claim for Lopez.

MattyHo4Life
09-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not following the logic here. The Cards needed a bat and a pitcher, so they traded a bat for a pitcher. Ludwick has a sustained track record of providing positively on offense, and Westbrook is pedestrian. He just is not a difference maker, and while he has kept the Cards in the game generally when he's pitched, he's done after 5-6 innings, regardless of how well he has pitched. If they needed to add a bat before trading Ludwick, they did themselves no favors by trading him.

They didn't just need a bat, but they needed a 3B bat. To my knowledge, Luddy an't play 3rd, and he wasn't in the Cardinals future plans anyways. They tried to trade him last offseason, and he probably would have been traded this offseason if he was still with the team. hey were looking at trading for Tejada before the deadline, because he plays 3B. There were hesitant to make a move because they believed Freese would return soon.

blumj
09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm listening to the Cubs/Cards game and the Cubs announcers are saying the Padres have put in a claim for Lopez.

Earlier today, it sounded like the Padres were going to have Felipe Lopez for the stretch drive. Not anymore.

According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, Lopez has "vetoed" the Padres waiver claim and signed on to play a meaningless week of baseball with the Red Sox, instead.

It's certainly an odd match, especially with the Padres in the middle of a pennant race, but one industry source tells Miller that the Red Sox signed him with the idea of a compensatory draft pick in mind.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/report-red-sox-sign-felipe-lopez.php

Sea Ray
09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised he has a choice. I thought if someone claims you on waivers and picks up your contract, you gotta go unless there's a no trade clause

Big Klu
09-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm surprised he has a choice. I thought if someone claims you on waivers and picks up your contract, you gotta go unless there's a no trade clause

If he was given his unconditional release, then he is a free agent, and therefore can sign with whoever he wants (or whoever is willing to take him).

Sea Ray
09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
If he was given his unconditional release, then he is a free agent, and therefore can sign with whoever he wants (or whoever is willing to take him).
Doesn't he have to clear waivers before he can be given his unconditional release?

Big Klu
09-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Doesn't he have to clear waivers before he can be given his unconditional release?

I don't know. But I read somewhere that Lopez was given his unconditional release.

blumj
09-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Unconditional release waivers, players can refuse a claim and become a free agent.