PDA

View Full Version : Question about Playoff Logistics

Benihana
09-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Assuming the Braves get the Wildcard, it seems that we will either be playing the Phillies (if we finish with a worse record than the West champion) or the Braves (if we finish with a better record than the West champion) because two teams in the same division cannot play each other in the opening round.

If we play the Braves, we will have homefield, and I'm assuming Game 2 will be a home game Friday night, October 8.

If we play the Phillies, we will not have homefield and thus the first home game will be Game 3 on Sunday, October 10. Interesting note is that the Bengals are scheduled to play at home that day. Does anyone know if Divisional Playoff games on Sunday are usually day games or night games?

Can anyone confirm if all of this is correct? If not, which parts? Thanks.

Brutus
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Assuming the Braves get the Wildcard, it seems that we will either be playing the Phillies (if we finish with a worse record than the West champion) or the Braves (if we finish with a better record than the West champion) because two teams in the same division cannot play each other in the opening round.

If we play the Braves, we will have homefield, and I'm assuming Game 2 will be a home game Friday night, October 8.

If we play the Phillies, we will not have homefield and thus the first home game will be Game 3 on Sunday, October 10. Interesting note is that the Bengals are scheduled to play at home that day. Does anyone know if Divisional Playoff games on Sunday are usually day games or night games?

Pretty much all correct. If the Reds get the No. 2 seed, they'll be playing the Braves or the winner of the West division. If they wind up playing the Phillies, the game 3 on Sunday will probably be an evening game as the networks enjoy putting them on in primetime.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Does anyone know if Divisional Playoff games on Sunday are usually day games or night games?

It varies. They'll usually put one prime time game on Sunday but since there are more than one, others may be earlier. Obviously where possible they want to avoid conflicts with the NFL

BuckeyeRedleg
09-22-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll take the Braves with homefield. Got a good feeling about that matchup.

So we just need the Reds and Braves to continue to win and the West to beat each other up over the next two weeks.

OesterPoster
09-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I'll take the Braves with homefield. Got a good feeling about that matchup.

So we just need the Reds and Braves to continue to win and the West to beat each other up over the next two weeks.

Braves schedule:
1 @Philly
3 @Washington
3 Florida
3 Philly

It's likely that the Phillies have clinched prior to that 3 game stand in Atlanta to finish the season, so could be interesting if they rest some guys against the Braves.