PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds Career Done?

reds44
09-22-2010, 03:09 AM
johnfayman Edmonds felt something pop as he ran the bases. Not good when you're dealing w/ Achilles problem. Wasn't sure where he'd be examined. #reds

Edmonds: "I've been expecting it." He was leaning toward retirement after this year. So the homer could have been it. #reds

If that is it, what a way to go out. Your last appearance ever and you hit a HR. I hope it's not as serious as he thinks and he can play again this season, but if this is it I hope he sticks around for the last couple weeks and the strech run. He didn't do much on the field in his time here, but it seems like some of the young guys on the team really gravitate towards him.

nemesis
09-22-2010, 03:31 AM
I actually thought of that as he limped home. He might just take it as a sign and end his career on a HR even if rehabbing could get him back by the NLCS or WS...

Will M
09-22-2010, 04:01 AM
if its true then its sad for Jim & also bad for the Reds. they could REALLY use his bat in the postseason.

BearcatShane
09-22-2010, 04:07 AM
If he's done, what a career. He didn't do a ton on the field for the Reds but ever since the Reds acquired him Bruce and Stubbs looked like different hitters. The full effect of that trade may never be truly appreciated. What a career.

The Operator
09-22-2010, 04:25 AM
He's gonna make an awesome hitting coach if he ever so chooses.

HokieRed
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm hoping he rehabs and comes back next year in LF.

cumberlandreds
09-22-2010, 08:35 AM
If he popped that achilles I would say he will retire. He missed all of last season with injuries and he may just not want to do all the rehab required.
That was certainly a great way to go out though. I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum. I liked the way he always hustled and gave everything he had. MLB could use more like him,IMO.

MattyHo4Life
09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum.

That's an understatement. "Hollywood" Edmonds was hated on this forum as much as Carpenter is now. I hope his career isn't over. Even if it is, he did have a great career. Edmonds was the best Center Fielder that I've ever seen. He wasn't the fastest, but he made up for it with hustle, and always seemed to make the plays that most other players wouldn't be able to get to. Edmonds is a good guy, I hope he goes out on his terms.

lollipopcurve
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Great all-around ballplayer. You don't find many CFs who hit and defend like Edmonds could.

If he's able to get himself healthy, I'd like to see him back in some role as a Red next year. But lower leg issues are dicey for older guys, especially outfielders.

If he retires, that was a tremendous, fitting last AB.

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't think there's any question that this is his last year because he can no longer stay healthy. It'd be nice if he could help us in the post season but when you're so old that you get hurt rounding the bases after a HR, it's time to hang it up.

Heath
09-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I hope he's on the bench anyway during the post season. He doesn't seem like a rah-rah guy, but that's the "Veteran Presence" we all know and love.

(Volleys in 5...4...3.......)

Chip R
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I hope he's on the bench anyway during the post season. He doesn't seem like a rah-rah guy, but that's the "Veteran Presence" we all know and love.

(Volleys in 5...4...3.......)

I'm not sure if he can be in uniform if he's not on the active roster.

Ghosts of 1990
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I was really looking forward to him being part of the postseason lineup card. His experience could have been used on this young roster in those battles and he's been very good when he's played. I'm glad he came here, he truly made us better just beyond the box score. If this is it; I have outside hopes that Jocketty and Dusty let him coach in his retirement if he wants. He can help this team down the line.

Heath
09-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Ok, what about these guys on the DL who hang around the dugout. IIRC, Jonny Gomes was leading the cheers for the Rays back during the ALCS against Boston and he was left off the post-season roster.

cumberlandreds
09-22-2010, 10:48 AM
I thought this was an interesting comment by Ryan Braun.

Braun, his close friend on the other side, had another thought.
“I think he was just waiting for an opportunity to hit a home run and call it a career,” Braun said. “He’ll be back for the postseason, I think.”

I liked this one by Braun to referring to the domination of the Reds over the Brewers this season.

“It’s been miserable,” Braun said. “They dominated us.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=300921108

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

I don't think there's any rule about that. You'll see a lot more than 25 guys in the Reds dugout in the post season. I seem to recall Bill Doran hanging around for the post season in 1990

Chip R
09-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Ok, what about these guys on the DL who hang around the dugout. IIRC, Jonny Gomes was leading the cheers for the Rays back during the ALCS against Boston and he was left off the post-season roster.

That's why I said I didn't know. I know they tightened up access to clubhouses for non-uniformed personnel a couple of years ago but I don't know if that pertains to injured players. I don't think they would put him on the DL anyway since there's no point to it.

Heath
09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
That's why I said I didn't know. I know they tightened up access to clubhouses for non-uniformed personnel a couple of years ago but I don't know if that pertains to injured players. I don't think they would put him on the DL anyway since there's no point to it.

I think you are still pissed that they denied you access when you tried to sneak in the clubhouse after your vintage game.

;)

VR
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I hope he goes out on his terms.

If we were Cards fans, we'd be expecting our manager to light up the Brewers for allowing Bush to groove a pitch, thus resulting in an injury on Edmonds HR trot.

:)

(good to see you back matty)

Chip R
09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I think you are still pissed that they denied you access when you tried to sneak in the clubhouse after your vintage game.

;)

I'm waiting for them to bring Javy back.

Roy Tucker
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Edmunds will make a good TV guy.

remdog
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
That's an understatement. "Hollywood" Edmonds was hated on this forum as much as Carpenter is now. I hope his career isn't over. Even if it is, he did have a great career. Edmonds was the best Center Fielder that I've ever seen. He wasn't the fastest, but he made up for it with hustle, and always seemed to make the plays that most other players wouldn't be able to get to. Edmonds is a good guy, I hope he goes out on his terms.

Frankly, Edmonds was not the most popular player when he was with the Angels and that was from Angels fans. The reaction from this board matches that, nothing more, so please stop dumping on Reds fans for realizing what he truley is/was.

I thought the deal by Walt to get Edmonds to Cincinnati was a good move and I publicly said so---but I thought it was a good move in the context of giving Edmonds a short time (remainder of the season and then he's done). The other part I liked was that it took Dickerson out of the equation in CF and clearly made Stubbs the CF of the future.

Having met Edmonds several times in public settings away from baseball I can tell you that I still think he's a jerk.

Rem

Chip R
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I wonder if 15Fan was sticking pins in his Edmonds voodoo doll when he hit that HR? ;)

RedsManRick
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I wonder if he can retire immediately at the end of the season and then be added to the coaching staff for the playoffs so he can stay in the dugout?

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Edmonds had been crushing the ball lately, so this injury came at an unfortunate time. I was hoping he would get the remaining starts in LF vs RHP. I wouldn't mind seeing him return next season in a bench role but I doubt it happens as he seems to have his mind set on retiring.

15fan
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I wonder if 15Fan was sticking pins in his Edmonds voodoo doll when he hit that HR? ;)

Wait. You mean something bad happened to a guy wearing #15 for the Reds? :evil:

I'd rather pass a kidney stone every day for the rest of my life than root for Jim Edmonds for even a nanosecond.

vic715
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I wonder if he can retire immediately at the end of the season and then be added to the coaching staff for the playoffs so he can stay in the dugout?

I believe anyone on the 40 man roster can be in the dugout.Not sure but almost.

The Voice of IH
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
“It’s been miserable,” Braun said. “They dominated us.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=300921108

Reds are 9-1 agianst the Brewers....he ain't lyin

Big Klu
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
If he popped that achilles I would say he will retire. He missed all of last season with injuries and he may just not want to do all the rehab required.
That was certainly a great way to go out though. I always liked Edmonds even though he was pretty much despised on this forum. I liked the way he always hustled and gave everything he had. MLB could use more like him,IMO.

If he popped the Achilles tendon and finished his home run trot, then he may be the toughest man alive. I have seen football players drop like they've been shot when they have ruptured an Achilles.

LoganBuck
09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
If he popped the Achilles tendon and finished his home run trot, then he may be the toughest man alive. I have seen football players drop like they've been shot when they have ruptured an Achilles.

Talked with my dad about this. He had Achilles problems 25 years ago. He thinks the same thing. If he blew it, he has impeccable balance. Because you lose the ability to control your ankle, your leg becomes a peg for lack of a better word. The Reds said lower leg strain. Who knows maybe he did something else.

Story from the old days: Apparently my late grandfather, when he was 15 was working in a field of corn with a corn knife(think machete). His brother in law was helping and swung a little too hard, and chopped him in the Achilles severing it. They loaded my grandfather up took him to the doctor, remember this was around 1934, and they stitched it together in the office without anesthetic. He recovered but always had a knot on his Achilles. He served in WWII and was a farmer all his life, I never knew this story until this morning.

blumj
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I believe anyone on the 40 man roster can be in the dugout.Not sure but almost.

Yes. During the 2007 World Series, Royce Clayton, who was not on the active roster, was miked up in the Red Sox dugout so he could explain to Jacoby Ellsbury(and the taco buying public) that if he stole a base, everyone in America could get a free taco. Pretty cheesy little act.

Tom Servo
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Yes. During the 2007 World Series, Royce Clayton, who was not on the active roster, was miked up in the Red Sox dugout so he could explain to Jacoby Ellsbury(and the taco buying public) that if he stole a base, everyone in America could get a free taco. Pretty cheesy little act.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/tacoby.jpg

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
He obviously didn't tear it. John Fay said during the 2nd inning that he hopes to be back for the playoffs and that he was relieved that there was no tear

Chip R
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
He obviously didn't tear it. John Fay said during the 2nd inning that he hopes to be back for the playoffs and that he was relieved that there was no tear

Do you put him on the playoff roster though? If he's so fragile that he can pull something during a home run trot, if he does that in a playoff game, the Reds are down a man until the next series.

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Do you put him on the playoff roster though? If he's so fragile that he can pull something during a home run trot, if he does that in a playoff game, the Reds are down a man until the next series.

Depends on the situation with Nix. Who's a better bet to contribute?

Brutus
09-22-2010, 11:43 PM

If that happens, you can replace him within the series anyhow. Worst-case scenario is that he just can't be used during the next (possibly even last) series. But if that injury occurs at that point, it's likely he'd miss the rest of the playoffs anyways.

Chip R
09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
If that happens, you can replace him within the series anyhow. Worst-case scenario is that he just can't be used during the next (possibly even last) series. But if that injury occurs at that point, it's likely he'd miss the rest of the playoffs anyways.

I thought you had to wait until the end of the current series to replace an injured player. Otherwise guys who suck would get replaced all the time. I think I'd take my chances with a healthy Nix than someone who makes Austin Kearns look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I thought you had to wait until the end of the current series to replace an injured player. Otherwise guys who suck would get replaced all the time. I think I'd take my chances with a healthy Nix than someone who makes Austin Kearns look like Cal Ripkin, Jr.

Someone posted a link the other day (which I could verify within the ML rules if I weren't too lazy right now to look it up) that you can actually replace them within the series, but if you do, they cannot be re-added to the roster for the next series.

So if Edmonds were replaced in the middle of the NLDS, he would have to sit out the NLCS.

WVRedsFan
09-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Depends on the situation with Nix. Who's a better bet to contribute?Edmonds. No contest

WVRedsFan
09-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Let me tell you about Jim Edmonds. As a Cardinal, i hated him. HATED him. He always got the important hit--the one that hurt and made the catch that killed a rally. Through all of this, I knew the difference between Edmonds and other players. He was a guy who knew what to do, when to do it, and contributed. There a few of those guys in the majors, but not many. When he came to the Reds my attitude was different.

The trade that sent Scott Rolen to the Reds was a godsend. Rolen has added so much to the club with his clubhouse quiet leadership as well as his temendous fielding and bat. Folks here dissed the trade as they lamented over Edwin Encarnacion. It happend again with Edmonds in the trade for Chris Flipping Dickerson (to be kind). Players like Edmonds and Rolen make a differene, even in old age. They are winners. Players who know how to win, have been there, and make few mistakes that cost you games. Dickerson can't stay healthy and Ecarnacion can't field and people continued to gripe agbout giving up a prospect or two to get Rolen.

The debate here so far has been on who is more valuable--Laynce Nix or Jim Edmonds and I am beside myself. What has Nix ever done to even compare with a 40+ year old Edmonds. Nothing. Not one thing. Epic fail on that argument. I hope and pray that Jim Edmonds is coming back for the playoffs. Not for his hitting and fielding, but for his leadership and what he's done for the young players. Laynce Nix. I'd not renew his contract after this season. He is not in Jim Edmond's league even at advanced age.

And yet the debate continues. I really don't understand, but even with three advanced college degrees, I guess I am dumb. Edwin should be at third, Dickerson should be in center and Nix should be in left. I shake my head.

Captain Hook
09-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't know what to think about Edmonds.On one hand I think that he's an over 40, washed up, hated, former Cardinal that I could care less about and then on the other hand I think that of all the guys to only play a handful of regular season games for the Reds, he could end up being the most famous and loved one of that bunch ever.

marcshoe
09-23-2010, 04:19 AM

http://www.analogartsensemble.net/uploaded_images/Kirk-Gibson-1988-World-Series-Home-Run-Photograph-C10103671-788431.jpeg

Okay, so it's not an exact parallel; it's still a nice thought. :cool:

Homer Bailey
09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Let me tell you about Jim Edmonds. As a Cardinal, i hated him. HATED him. He always got the important hit--the one that hurt and made the catch that killed a rally. Through all of this, I knew the difference between Edmonds and other players. He was a guy who knew what to do, when to do it, and contributed. There a few of those guys in the majors, but not many. When he came to the Reds my attitude was different.

The trade that sent Scott Rolen to the Reds was a godsend. Rolen has added so much to the club with his clubhouse quiet leadership as well as his temendous fielding and bat. Folks here dissed the trade as they lamented over Edwin Encarnacion. It happend again with Edmonds in the trade for Chris Flipping Dickerson (to be kind). Players like Edmonds and Rolen make a differene, even in old age. They are winners. Players who know how to win, have been there, and make few mistakes that cost you games. Dickerson can't stay healthy and Ecarnacion can't field and people continued to gripe agbout giving up a prospect or two to get Rolen.

The debate here so far has been on who is more valuable--Laynce Nix or Jim Edmonds and I am beside myself. What has Nix ever done to even compare with a 40+ year old Edmonds. Nothing. Not one ^%$# thing. Epic fail on that argument. I hope and pray that Jim Edmonds is coming back for the playoffs. Not for his hitting and fielding, but for his leadership and what he's done for the young players. Laynce Nix. I'd not renew his contract after this season. He is not in Jim Edmond's league even at advanced age.

And yet the debate continues. I really don't understand, but even with three advanced college degrees, I guess I am dumb. Edwin should be at third, Dickerson should be in center and Nix should be in left. I shake my head.

No one ever debated who was better between Nix and Edmonds. The question at hand is who can be counted on to perform come playoff time, and that discussion INCLUDES discussing the injury situation. Based on what we know, I'd think that Nix is a better bet to be a healthy bat come playoff time.

WVRedsFan
09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
No one ever debated who was better between Nix and Edmonds. The question at hand is who can be counted on to perform come playoff time, and that discussion INCLUDES discussing the injury situation. Based on what we know, I'd think that Nix is a better bet to be a healthy bat come playoff time.Oh sure. If he's healthy, though, I go with Edmonds. If not, I don't know what I'd do. Nix is a marginal player, but most bench guys are. It will depend on Edmonds' health, but if he is healthy (and I doubt he will be), I'd go with him over Nix or Heisey. Sad to say, but true.

Homer Bailey
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh sure. If he's healthy, though, I go with Edmonds. If not, I don't know what I'd do. Nix is a marginal player, but most bench guys are. It will depend on Edmonds' health, but if he is healthy (and I doubt he will be), I'd go with him over Nix or Heisey. Sad to say, but true.

And I think most, if not everyone would agree with this.

However, the big variable here is "if healthy", and we can play this game on a message board and assume health, but in real life, it is clearly going to be factored in come playoff time.

bucksfan2
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM

However, the big variable here is "if healthy", and we can play this game on a message board and assume health, but in real life, it is clearly going to be factored in come playoff time.

I don't think Nix is healthy either. I think it was Fay that made mention of Nix gingerly running down the line on a double play ball late in last nights game.

Jpup
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't think Nix is healthy either. I think it was Fay that made mention of Nix gingerly running down the line on a double play ball late in last nights game.

Never seen a worse sprained ankle. You would think that someone shot him. How long has he been hurting with that?

WVRedsFan
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM

And he's only got a few days "to get healthy." I'd like to see him on the bench tutoring Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey (and any number of others), though. And to see him coaching here in the future.

Homer Bailey
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm not a doctor, but my bet is that there is a stronger chance that Nix is healthier for the playoffs than Edmonds.

And he's only got a few days "to get healthy." I'd like to see him on the bench tutoring Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey (and any number of others), though. And to see him coaching here in the future.

Agreed.

Never seen a worse sprained ankle. You would think that someone shot him. How long has he been hurting with that?

This made me laugh.

Cedric
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
A high ankle sprain is a horrible injury. It usually takes months to heal and hurts like no other.

bucksfan2
09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
A high ankle sprain is a horrible injury. It usually takes months to heal and hurts like no other.

I have never had a high ankle sprain. I hear they are awful and know that in football you can miss upwards of 6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

A few years ago I sprained my ankle playing basketball. Landed on a defenders foot after a shot. It wasn't too bad, missed the rest of that game, was limping for a couple of days, and played in our game the next week. The thing was that for the better half of a year I would tweak my ankle playing basketball or softball. It wouldn't take me out of a game, but I would feel a dull pain when I went to cut or swing. I could only imagine the amount of torque and force Nix would put on an ankle on his swing, when he would twist to run out of the box, anytime he needed to round the bases, etc. You can run on a sprained ankle, but when you need to stop, change directions, or cut it hurts.

westofyou
09-23-2010, 05:43 PM

I broke my ankle a day after a buddy of mine had severely sprained his ankle, I was moving around before him.

Puffy
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM

So, you're saying he's going to be naked?

You are such a pervert, Chip.

Captain Hook
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
So from what I understand, if Edmonds is placed on the roster for the first round, then has to be replaced at some point , he is done for the rest of the playoffs(or is it just the next round?).Would it maybe be a good idea to rest him up for the World Series?;)

Brutus
09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
So from what I understand, if Edmonds is placed on the roster for the first round, then has to be replaced at some point , he is done for the rest of the playoffs(or is it just the next round?).Would it maybe be a good idea to rest him up for the World Series?;)

From the Major League Rules, MLR 40:

(4) Replacements for Injured Players During a Series. A Club may request permission from the Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee to replace on the Club’s active roster for the remainder of a post-season series a player who is unable to render service in such post-season series because of a specific injury or ailment that occurred after the Club's roster for such series had been submitted, provided that the Club submits written proof of the disability to the Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee. The Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee may approve or disapprove a request for a roster substitution and may make whatever investigation the Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee deems appropriate in exercising such discretion. The Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee's exercise of discretion may include disapproval of the request for a roster substitution if the Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee determines that the request was not made in a reasonable amount of time in advance of a game to allow for investigation of the facts and circumstances. If the Commissioner or the Commissioner's designee gives express approval for the substitution,

(A) the player added to the roster must also be an eligible player pursuant to Rule 40(a)(1) or Rules 40(a)(3)(E) through (G);

(B) a pitcher may be replaced only by a pitcher and a player other than a pitcher may be replaced only by a player other than a pitcher; and

(C) the injured player being replaced shall be ineligible to play for the remainder of such series, as well as the next subsequent post-season series that year.

Degenerate39
09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Edmonds is pretty close to some big career milestone numbers. I for one would like to see him come back one more year with the Reds and get his 2000th hit, 400th homer, 1200th RBI, etc

remdog
09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I broke my ankle a day after a buddy of mine had severely sprained his ankle, I was moving around before him.

Yep, I had a high ankle sprain playing tennis and it was about four months before I could even get on the tennis court just to work out a little bit.

When the doctor first looked at it he told me it would have healed quicker if I had broken it. Took a year before it felt normal.

Rem

Ron Madden
09-24-2010, 04:31 AM
So, you're saying he's going to be naked?
You are such a pervert, Chip.

I'm sure George Grande and WVRedsFan would enjoy that. ;)

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2010, 05:49 PM
From John Fay:

Edmonds hopeful of making playoff roster after cortisone shot. Nix OK after playing. #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

OesterPoster
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
From John Fay:

Edmonds hopeful of making playoff roster after cortisone shot. Nix OK after playing. #reds

Holy cow, hope his leg doesn't fall off. I thought I read an article earlier this year that doctors don't like to do two in one year to the same area, and they did just that to Josh Hamilton's knee.

VR
09-30-2010, 06:02 PM
From John Fay:

Having those two as options on the bench is 100 times better than Alonso/Francisco at this point. Good news.

OnBaseMachine
10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
From the Reds website:

"I am planning on doing anything I can," Edmonds said Sunday. "If I have to, I will numb it up, if that's what it takes."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101003&content_id=15369934&notebook_id=15369936&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

reds44
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
It sounds as if Edmonds is going to give it a go, and Nix looks fine. That's good to hear.

OnBaseMachine
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
From John Fay:

Edmonds will hit off Cueto in sim game . He's hopeful. "They're are things they can do w/ medication." Said tendon is structurally ok. #reds

OesterPoster
10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
It'd be nice if he could hit a few milestones during the playoffs.

2 walks away from 1000.
1 RBI away from 1200.
7 HRs away from 400. (Ha! I can dream, right?)

reds1869
10-04-2010, 01:49 PM
It'd be nice if he could hit a few milestones during the playoffs.

2 walks away from 1000.
1 RBI away from 1200.
7 HRs away from 400. (Ha! I can dream, right?)

Except those playoff numbers won't count in his totals. :p:

klw
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Edmonds may not be done yet.
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/9989759426363392

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope he returns with the Reds for one more season as a bench player.

15fan
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no and no.

I would rather see Osama Bin Laden, Josef Stalin, and Ted Kaczynski in the OF than Jim Edmonds.

No room. No vacancy. No help wanted. No dice.

Go away, Jim.

camisadelgolf
12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Edmonds/Gomes platoon? I could live with that.

RichRed
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM

I would rather see Osama Bin Laden, Josef Stalin, and Ted Kaczynski in the OF than Jim Edmonds.

Go away, Jim.

What if he wore Ron Oester's number instead of George Foster's? :)

HokieRed
12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Edmonds/Gomes platoon? I could live with that.

Absolutely.

dfs
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Go away, Jim.

I wonder if Walt would sign him to a major league deal and then cut him during spring training if he can't win a job.

There's no way the old reds would do that, but the Walt-reds might. He did something like that with Aaron Miles, the guy whose salary he adopted in order to make Wily Taveres vanish. They brought him to spring training and then cut him and paid his salary while Miles played for the cards all year long.

If they did something like that with Edmonds, I wouldn't mind. As long as it's not a 4 million dollar deal or such. If you need somebody to pinch hit or man a corner OF/1B slot for a week or two. The 5 OF slot. That would be OK. Not a great move, but understandable.

They could still look for a deal for a real left fielder and nobody's nose would get out of joint.

redsfan30
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
The spike in Jay Bruce's performance was tangible after Edmonds was traded for last season. I'd LOVE to see a full season from Bruce with Edmonds around to mentor him.

mdccclxix
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
A proven vet to take ab's away from Gomes vs RHP on the cheap? Yes please.

lollipopcurve
12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
If he's healthy, he'd make a nice fit in LF. I have a feeling he'd only come back to play on the left coast though.

Chip R
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
If he's healthy, he'd make a nice fit in LF. I have a feeling he'd only come back to play on the left coast though.

Tell him he's playing on the left coast of the Ohio River. ;)

crazybob60
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
The spike in Jay Bruce's performance was tangible after Edmonds was traded for last season. I'd LOVE to see a full season from Bruce with Edmonds around to mentor him.

Those are my sentiments (sp?) exactly! Have him there on the bench and to pinch hit and to help mold Bruce and Stubbs. Plus some of those home runs he hit coming off the bench were clutch as well!!!!

Edd Roush
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
My only concern about Edmonds coming back is if he would push Stubbs to left and start in center. I would not mind a Edmonds/Gomes plattoon in left. In fact, it may be one of our most cost-efficient alternatives for next year. I certainly wouldn't mind that plattoon in left if we could lock in Bruce and/or Votto long-term with the remaining money.

camisadelgolf
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
My only concern about Edmonds coming back is if he would push Stubbs to left and start in center.
Not even Dusty would consider doing that. He knows what he has with Stubbs in center, and he has never played Stubbs anywhere else.

Edd Roush
12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Not even Dusty would consider doing that. He knows what he has with Stubbs in center, and he has never played Stubbs anywhere else.

Edmonds definately got some time in center last while he had a bad leg. After an off-season of rest, it would be easy to see Edmonds playing at least some in center, which is scary to me altogether.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
The main reason I want him back is to be able to work with Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs. I think a full season of him as a mentor to the young guys can only be a positive.

I do believe he can still swing the bat, and provide outfiled depth, but his health concerns me.

The intangibles do not concern me.

Patrick Bateman
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
He'd probably be best off sitting out the first half of the season, staying in shape and latching on with a contender at the end of the season.

camisadelgolf
12-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Edmonds definately got some time in center last while he had a bad leg. After an off-season of rest, it would be easy to see Edmonds playing at least some in center, which is scary to me altogether.
I wouldn't doubt that Edmonds got playing time in center, but if you're going to have both Edmonds and Stubbs in the lineup, Dusty would put Stubbs in center every time.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Bringing Jim Edmonds back for next season should be a top priority for Walt Jocketty. He's a low-cost addition to the ballclub that can provide probably around 100-150 quality PAs, and his ability to work with the younger hitters on the club is genuine asset to the organization.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many 25th men who would provide better value to the Reds than Edmonds.

MattyHo4Life
12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree that Edmonds would be a good player for the Reds to resign. I wish the Cards would sign him, but i doubt they would even consider it. It seems like Edmonds asks the Cards ownership to give him a chance every season, and they turn him down every season. I'd like to see him stay with the Reds instead of retiring or going to the West Coast.

bucksfan2
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Bringing Jim Edmonds back for next season should be a top priority for Walt Jocketty. He's a low-cost addition to the ballclub that can provide probably around 100-150 quality PAs, and his ability to work with the younger hitters on the club is genuine asset to the organization.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many 25th men who would provide better value to the Reds than Edmonds.

Don't really think bringing Edmonds back is a top priority. A top priority should be to get an answer for the LF situation. Edmonds isn't that, he is a nice 4th or 5th OF type.

RED VAN HOT
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
The Reds are in need of at least one more LH bat. I don't think it can be JF or YA. They did not see a need to protect Dorn. Not sure if they are negotiating with Nix.

Sea Ray
12-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't think we can count on Edmonds to stay healthy for the grind of a 162 game season. So do we really want to commit to such a guy?

Caveat Emperor
12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think we can count on Edmonds to stay healthy for the grind of a 162 game season. So do we really want to commit to such a guy?

He wouldn't be coming back as a regular -- probably as a PH and 1 time per week starter. Plus, he retains value as a veteran mentor to guys like Bruce and Stubbs even if he's on the DL or nursing something

Plus, I don't imagine he'd command huge money at this point.

Chip R
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
He wouldn't be coming back as a regular -- probably as a PH and 1 time per week starter. Plus, he retains value as a veteran mentor to guys like Bruce and Stubbs even if he's on the DL or nursing something

This.

I don't want him to come back if he can't play so he can take a spot on the 40/25 man roster just to mentor Bruce and Stubbs. But if he can contribute, playing once or twice a week, being a defensive replacement for Gomes - or even being part of a platoon with him, I'm all for it.

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 05:21 PM
This.

I don't want him to come back if he can't play so he can take a spot on the 40/25 man roster just to mentor Bruce and Stubbs. But if he can contribute, playing once or twice a week, being a defensive replacement for Gomes - or even being part of a platoon with him, I'm all for it.

I'm in agreement with this. The mentoring aspect of a player being on the team should always be a secondary consideration, IMO.

MikeS21
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't really think bringing Edmonds back is a top priority. A top priority should be to get an answer for the LF situation. Edmonds isn't that, he is a nice 4th or 5th OF type.
I have to disagree. If Edmonds can play 25% of the games in LF - especially against the tougher right handed pitchers - giving Gomes a break, he could go a long way in helping the LF situation.

Sea Ray
12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Yeah, that was the role he had last year and he couldn't stay healthy. As I recall he got hurt running out a Home Run.

Sea Ray
12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
This guy is old and broken down. The reason guys have to hang it up is usually due to being injury prone as opposed to losing skills. Don't get excited about what you see when he's healthy. the issue is can a 40 yr old CF stay healthy? He's taken a lot of pounding in his career and has played on a lot of artificial turf. I don't think he can play enough to warrant a roster spot and I think he knows it. For that reason I doubt we'll see him on the 25 man roster on Opening Day

Caveat Emperor
12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that was the role he had last year and he couldn't stay healthy. As I recall he got hurt running out a Home Run.

He had 240 PAs already when he was traded to the Reds, and accumulated another 32 playing for the Reds. I imagine him being a 150-200 PA guy, tops, if he comes back for another year, with his duties coming mostly off the bench.

Plus, he stayed healthy until the end of August, as I recall. That's a solid contribution for the overwhelming majority of the season -- if he does the same thing next year, I'd be more than happy with that.

Sea Ray
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
He had 240 PAs already when he was traded to the Reds, and accumulated another 32 playing for the Reds. I imagine him being a 150-200 PA guy, tops, if he comes back for another year, with his duties coming mostly off the bench.

Plus, he stayed healthy until the end of August, as I recall. That's a solid contribution for the overwhelming majority of the season -- if he does the same thing next year, I'd be more than happy with that.

I recall something about his Achilles injury bothering him since May.