PDA

View Full Version : When will IT happen?

I(heart)Freel
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Like, specifically... when will the Reds clinch?

Sorry to those who think this is jinxy. I think when the magic number is 3 with 9 to play, we can start to be bold.

So when? I was thinking this morning... I just hope the Reds do it. Not clinch as a result of a Cards loss. The nice thing about this weekend in San Diego is, the Reds always start later than the Cards (in Chicago).

Here's the breakdown:

THURSDAY
12:35 pm St. Louis Pittsburgh Jeff Suppan Brian Burres

FRIDAY
2:20 pm St. Louis Chi. Cubs Adam Wainwright Tom Gorzelanny
10:05 pm Cincinnati San Diego Bronson Arroyo Chris R. Young

SATURDAY
1:05 pm St. Louis Chi. Cubs Chris Carpenter Casey Coleman
4:10 pm Cincinnati San Diego Travis Wood Jon Garland

SUNDAY
2:20 pm St. Louis Chi. Cubs Jake Westbrook Jeff Samardzija
4:05 pm Cincinnati San Diego Homer Bailey Clayton Richard

MONDAY
8:15 pm Pittsburgh St. Louis Charlie Morton Kyle Lohse

I'm going with Sunday. I think the Reds will find out mid-way through their game that the magic number is one. Will be the push for them to win that game to clinch. Stink up SD's locker room with beer/champagne/apple juice (for BPhil and Votto) and then have a glorious flight back with Queen blaring from the airplane speakers.

"No time for losers, cuz we are the champions.... of the central."

Just my rosey colored view. Yours?

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I think it will be Saturday. Which would be just my luck. The game is on FOX and will not be on in the DC area. It would nice to actually see the game they clinch.

I(heart)Freel
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Not a flattering association on this board, but I just realized I posted this just after Fay posted his exact same question on cincinnati.com. Sorry.

membengal
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I think it will be Saturday. Which would be just my luck. The game is on FOX and will not be on in the DC area. It would nice to actually see the game they clinch.

This.

I am beside myself that it will probably be Saturday, and any of us out of the Cincy area will not be able to see it.

Reds Fanatic
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I think it will Saturday too. I have a feeling it may a Cards loss that does it. The Cubs have played well against the Cards are dislike the Cards as much as the Reds do. They will take great pleasure in being the team to officially ends the Cards playoff chances. I just hope the Reds clinch it sometime I can see the game. I have been out of town on business all week and will not get home until probably toward the end of the game tomorrow night.

PuffyPig
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I think the Reds will find out mid-way through their game that the magic number is one.
Just my rosey colored view. Yours?

For your prediction to come true (the Reds finding out midway through thier game on Sunday that their magic # is 1), there could only be a 1 game reduction in our magic number for the 5 games preceeding Sunday. That essetially means we split our 2 games, and the Cards win all 3 of theirs.

I've got a more rosey view than that.

SirFelixCat
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Saturday, imo. Not trying to rub it in, but after 2 years of having 6 teams blacked out (living in Vegas) it's nice to see I'll get the game here in Denver.

Go Rojos!

Brutus
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
This.

I am beside myself that it will probably be Saturday, and any of us out of the Cincy area will not be able to see it.

If $25 isn't a problem, consider investing in MLB TV for the rest of the season. Then you'll be guaranteed of getting to see it when it happens.

Jpup
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
If $25 isn't a problem, consider investing in MLB TV for the rest of the season. Then you'll be guaranteed of getting to see it when it happens.

National games are not on MLB TV unless something has changed.

Brutus
09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
National games are not on MLB TV unless something has changed.

I didn't realize it was a national game. But if it's a national game, why wouldn't anyone get to see it?

Jpup
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I didn't realize it was a national game. But if it's a national game, why wouldn't anyone get to see it?

It won't be on in the East. It will be on a lot of places including the local area, but not in places like DC and New York. They will likely have a game from New York, Philly, etc.

Jpup
09-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Red Sox and Yankees will be on FOX Saturday as well. Much of the country will see that game.

GOYA
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Ultimately, I couldn't care less when, specifically, the Reds clinch. They will clinch. And it will be soon enough.

Ron Madden
09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it'll happen Sunday.

MattyHo4Life
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Saturday

blumj
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
MLB Tonight on MLBN at 7 PM Sat., which should be perfect timing if they do it by winning a FOX game that starts at 4 PM.

HeatherC1212
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
The video of the Twins clinching was up on mlb.com barely an hour after they actually clinched the AL Central title. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a video of the celebration on their website within the same time frame for the Reds celebration (even though it's a national game). They've been good about that in the past and while it's not the same as seeing it live, at least it's something out there for those who aren't going to see that game (if they happen to clinch on Saturday).

I think it will be this weekend but I have no clue which day. I think it will be Saturday but I wouldn't mind it happening on Sunday either. I'd love for it to be Tuesday because I'm thinking about going to that game but it really doesn't matter to me when it happens so long as it actually happens at some point. :D

Brutus
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
It won't be on in the East. It will be on a lot of places including the local area, but not in places like DC and New York. They will likely have a game from New York, Philly, etc.

Oh OK. When you said National I was thinking you meant truest sense of the word. But now I see you were talking about regional coverage on Fox.

MattyHo4Life
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
as it actually happens at some point. :D

I don't think you have to worry about that. lol

Unassisted
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Clinching seems like a moment that the MLB Network would do a live look-in for. Listen for when clinching appears to be an inning away on the radio and tune into the MLB Network to see it.

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Clinching seems like a moment that the MLB Network would do a live look-in for. Listen for when clinching appears to be an inning away on the radio and tune into the MLB Network to see it.

I don't know for sure but I would say FOX Saturday telecasts prohibit them from showing any live look-ins. If they have a chance to clinch Sunday then they will have a live look-in at the finish.

blumj
09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know for sure but I would say FOX Saturday telecasts prohibit them from showing any live look-ins. If they have a chance to clinch Sunday then they will have a live look-in at the finish.

I bet FOX will do it themselves, then, cut into whatever other game they're showing or pick up the game as soon as the other game ends if it ends first.

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I bet FOX will do it themselves, then, cut into whatever other game they're showing or pick up the game as soon as the other game ends if it ends first.

Cut into a Sawks/Yanks game? Never happen in a million years. ;)

Heath
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
They can beat the Padres. My guess is Sunday, tho. Don't see the Cards rolling over.

RedsManRick
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Fox controls the rights to a number of games each Saturday. It chooses, by region, which game it wants to show. But all of those games are blacked out from any alternate broadcast source, regardless of whether the game is shown in your area.

It's not usually a problem if you live close to Cincinnati, since they'll most likely be showing the Reds game. But if you live in a different region, you're probably out of luck.

I've had it happen a number of times this year. Fox has the Reds, but they choose to broadcast, say, Minnesota vs. Texas here in Chicago. On those days, I have no way to watch the Reds.

Of course sometimes they decide that your regional game is too boring and decide to switch to a different game regardless of where you live. They should do what CBS does during March Madness and what they did with the World Cup. Make every game available live streaming on their website, regardless of region.

blumj
09-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Wanna bet? Loser has to wear a Jorge Posada avatar for a week.

HeatherC1212
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM

That game should go long enough that they could cut in between innings to show something else without disrupting the actual game, LOL :p:

Captain Hook
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I think the Reds will clinch Sunday September 26th at 7:37 PM.

Brutus
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Fox controls the rights to a number of games each Saturday. It chooses, by region, which game it wants to show. But all of those games are blacked out from any alternate broadcast source, regardless of whether the game is shown in your area.

It's not usually a problem if you live close to Cincinnati, since they'll most likely be showing the Reds game. But if you live in a different region, you're probably out of luck.

I've had it happen a number of times this year. Fox has the Reds, but they choose to broadcast, say, Minnesota vs. Texas here in Chicago. On those days, I have no way to watch the Reds.

Of course sometimes they decide that your regional game is too boring and decide to switch to a different game regardless of where you live. They should do what CBS does during March Madness and what they did with the World Cup. Make every game available live streaming on their website, regardless of region.

Yeah I get all that. I just thought he meant National game as in true national telecast. Nonetheless, I appreciate the clarification.

It was just a misunderstanding in the wording.

OnBaseMachine
09-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Not sure when they will clinch, but when they do, I'm going to watch it on TV AND turn my radio on and listen to Marty.

cincrazy
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
October 2nd.

HA! Just kidding. I hope.

guttle11
09-23-2010, 07:26 PM
They can beat the Padres. My guess is Sunday, tho. Don't see the Cards rolling over.

They've been rolling over for the better part of 6 weeks.

My guess is Sunday, and given how the "race" has gone, it will be after the Cards lose and not after a Reds win.

Both lose Friday
Both win Saturday
Cards lose Sunday while the Reds are playing.

traderumor
09-23-2010, 07:28 PM
The Cards haven't rolled over. The long season exposed a mediocre team, as it usually does.

cincrazy
09-23-2010, 11:44 PM
The Cards haven't rolled over. The long season exposed a mediocre team, as it usually does.

I'm not sure that I agree. They're not a great team by any means, but a team with Carpenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Pujols, and Holliday should not lose 25 of 37 games to mostly horrible competition. There's something that just isn't right about that. That clubhouse is a disaster, and probably has more than a little to do with their current implosion.

I(heart)Freel
09-24-2010, 12:32 AM
For your prediction to come true (the Reds finding out midway through thier game on Sunday that their magic # is 1), there could only be a 1 game reduction in our magic number for the 5 games preceeding Sunday. That essetially means we split our 2 games, and the Cards win all 3 of theirs.

I've got a more rosey view than that.

Thrilled to be wrong, but I do see only a one game reduction. Wainwright and Carp will pitch well out of spite. Arroyo will win his. Wood will not.

Sets up Westbrook to choke and Homer+bullpen will nail it down for an emotional on field celebration.

Or so plays the moment in my mind.

Brutus
09-24-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure that I agree. They're not a great team by any means, but a team with Carpenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Pujols, and Holliday should not lose 25 of 37 games to mostly horrible competition. There's something that just isn't right about that. That clubhouse is a disaster, and probably has more than a little to do with their current implosion.

After you get past those five players, they're largely made up of replacement-level players. That's really no exaggeration.

mth123
09-24-2010, 06:51 AM
After you get past those five players, they're largely made up of replacement-level players. That's really no exaggeration.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. Molina is a good player at C and next year Anderson wil be a solid back-up (and may allow them tp deal Molina to shore up other areas and address the budget). Rasmus is a plus player in CF (wish the Reds had him for LF) and the bullpen with Motte and McClellan is solid in front of Franklin. Just need to get a decent lefty in the mix with Reyes and Miller probably leaving as free agents. If David Freese stays healty 3B is ok.

They are a mess in the MI with a utility player in Ryan at SS and a mediocre 4th OF hollding down 2B (while being poor at the plate and worse in the field). I'd say adding a solid 2B who can provide some production (and defense) while pushing Schumaker into a supersub role along picking up a vet starter or two on the cheap (this could be a place where a guy like Harang ends up and resurrects his career) could put the Cards right back in the thick of things in 2011. They have enough poor perfromers to put them in this spot, but they have enough decent players behind the big 5 that a key addition or two is all it would take to get them back in the thick of it. I'd guess their biggest issue in 2011 would be a big drop-off from Garcia. I think that is probably likely.

As for when, I'm going with Sunday.

Brutus
09-24-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm not sure that is entirely true. Molina is a good player at C and next year Anderson wil be a solid back-up (and may allow them tp deal Molina to shore up other areas and address the budget). Rasmus is a plus player in CF (wish the Reds had him for LF) and the bullpen with Motte and McClellan is solid in front of Franklin. Just need to get a decent lefty in the mix with Reyes and Miller probably leaving as free agents. If David Freese stays healty 3B is ok.

They are a mess in the MI with a utility player in Ryan at SS and a mediocre 4th OF hollding down 2B (while being poor at the plate and worse in the field). I'd say adding a solid 2B who can provide some production (and defense) while pushing Schumaker into a supersub role along picking up a vet starter or two on the cheap (this could be a place where a guy like Harang ends up and resurrects his career) could put the Cards right back in the thick of things in 2011. They have enough poor perfromers to put them in this spot, but they have enough decent players behind the big 5 that a key addition or two is all it would take to get them back in the thick of it. I'd guess their biggest issue in 2011 would be a big drop-off from Garcia. I think that is probably likely.

As for when, I'm going with Sunday.

Welp, I did say "largely." Didn't mean every single player after those five were replacement-level. But a lot of them are. Molina isn't replacement level, though for much of the season he's played like it. Half of the Cards' offense (since Freese has been out) has been bad. They have not gotten any production from 2B, SS, 3B or RF (since Jay made the predictable tumble down to Earth).

The 7th & 8th inning guys are good for St. Louis, but middle relief, Franklin and the 4 & 5 spots of the rotation are all pretty bad.

Add it all together, and that's a lot of replacement types.

OesterPoster
09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll be the Debbie Downer and pick Monday. Reds only win 1 of 3 in San Diego, and the Cards win 2 of 3 over the Cubs. Cards lose on Monday while the Reds are off.

WVRedsFan
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Next week. I think that's for the best, too. The pitching matchups favor the Cardinals winning. Best to keep the troops focused.

Ghosts of 1990
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
It's going to be Sunday while my focus is on Football.....

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Reds' clubhouse celebration will be televised

FSO announced Friday that if the Reds clinch a playoff berth Sunday or next week, FSO will carry the players’ partying live on the postgame “Reds Live” show.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100924/SPT04/100925002/1071/Clubhouse-celebration-will-be-televised

MattyHo4Life
09-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure that is entirely true. Molina is a good player at C and next year Anderson wil be a solid back-up (and may allow them tp deal Molina to shore up other areas and address the budget).

Molina won't be traded. Mo confirmed that a couple of weeks ago. I could see Anderson being traded though. Molina is too important to the team for his defense and the way he handles the pitching staff.

mth123
09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Molina won't be traded. Mo confirmed that a couple of weeks ago. I could see Anderson being traded though. Molina is too important to the team for his defense and the way he handles the pitching staff.

Anderson as a lefty hitting catcher who can hit and doesn't make much money could be pretty valuable. Was he drafted under Walt? I wish the Reds could get him to pair with Hanigan until Mesoraco is ready. Let Ramon walk and save some cash.

I think the Cardinals number one need is a major league caliber second baseman. Holding down the spot with a mediocre 4th OF hurts the defense and the offense. Cards should make a play for somebody like Dan Uggla.

Ghosts of 1990
09-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Today is the day, I've had the feeling for a week.

On a Sunday in San Diego......

OldXOhio
09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Not today

IslandRed
09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
This is the first day when it *could* be today. Feels strange... and good.

Brutus
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
OK so the bad news: St. Louis winning means it won't happen today.

More bad news: if Cincinnati wins today and St. Louis loses tomorrow, the clinch happens on an off-day (lousy).

But the good news: any combination of Cincinnati losing today or St. Louis winning tomorrow will mean the Reds will get to clinch at home.

traderumor
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Today is the day, I've had the feeling for a week.

On a Sunday in San Diego......

Must've been the midnight run to taco bell ;)

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2010, 08:04 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

As it looks right now, there seems to be no plans to gather at GABP to watch the game.

"Nothing," Baker said about any plans. "Tomorrow is a rest day, an unpack day. I'll probably watch TV.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/09/the_waiting_really_begins.html

HokieRed
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Dusty's got just the right attitude, IMO. This is about us winning the division, not the Cardinals losing it. If they lose tomorrow, that's ok, but it oughtn't to get any special attention. That should be reserved for taking care of our own business.

redsmetz
09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
OK so the bad news: St. Louis winning means it won't happen today.

More bad news: if Cincinnati wins today and St. Louis loses tomorrow, the clinch happens on an off-day (lousy).

But the good news: any combination of Cincinnati losing today or St. Louis winning tomorrow will mean the Reds will get to clinch at home.

I responded on the Game Thread, so you know I'd rather just get it clinched. Think how sweet it would be for the introductions on Tuesday night where the announcers says, "Ladies & Gentlemen, we present to you the Central Division Champion Cincinnati Reds!".

Brutus
09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I responded on the Game Thread, so you know I'd rather just get it clinched. Think how sweet it would be for the introductions on Tuesday night where the announcers says, "Ladies & Gentlemen, we present to you the Central Division Champion Cincinnati Reds!".

Not me. The feeling I've had the last two weeks has been a result of feeling like the Reds have done absolutely nothing to put this division on ice, and only by default as the Cardinals keep losing. I'd rather the Reds have to earn the clinching win to get the closure that's been missing.

I don't care if it means keeping pressure on a few more days... I want the Reds to win this thing, not the Cardinals losing it.

vaticanplum
09-26-2010, 09:05 PM
"Nothing," Baker said about any plans. "Tomorrow is a rest day, an unpack day. I'll probably watch TV.

Who the flip is Dusty kidding? What's he going to tune into tomorrow night, Say Yes to the Dress?

I'd like the Reds to wrap this up themselves too, but I am going to be LOSING IT tomorrow night.

Chip R
09-26-2010, 09:37 PM

In front of 15,000 of their biggest fans.

HeatherC1212
09-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I will have no problem with the Reds clinching on Tuesday night since I'll be there in person to see it if it happens! :D :D :D :D :D

Degenerate39
09-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm just praying for rain in St. Louis tomorrow. I refuse to root for them to win but I want the Reds to clinch at home with a win

dougdirt
09-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Who the flip is Dusty kidding? What's he going to tune into tomorrow night, Say Yes to the Dress?

I'd like the Reds to wrap this up themselves too, but I am going to be LOSING IT tomorrow night.

I am sure his DVR is full.

sabometrics
09-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm just praying for rain in St. Louis tomorrow. I refuse to root for them to win but I want the Reds to clinch at home with a win

Rain actually looks like a very real possibility :)

edit: oh wait, its in St. Louis not Pittsburgh. Nevermind :(

KittyDuran
09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I responded on the Game Thread, so you know I'd rather just get it clinched.Same here...

Unassisted
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Lohse (4-8) is pitching for the Cards today against Morton (2-11). It seems a shame that a game with that pitching matchup has any significance in the division race.

redsfandan
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I told a co-worker last week that it would probably happen today (Monday). Then I thought it shouldn't take that long. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen today.