PDA

View Full Version : In the words of Jim Mora: Playoffs? I just hope we can win another game!

redlegs2370
09-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Can, will the Reds win another game much less 3? The Reds need 3 wins to get into the playoffs and I think it will be difficult for the Reds to win 3 more games. The offense is not scoring any runs, unless they are hitting home runs & the bullpen appears tired. I really think the team and fans (myself included) got excited too early. This is a young team and really shouldn't have talked about playoffs until they actually clinched.

http://http://www.1070thefan.com/Pics/dakich/meltdowns/jim_mora_playoffs.jpg

Rockermann
09-25-2010, 01:39 PM
They don't need to win another game to make it into the playoffs. As long as the Cards loose three more, they're in.

But, I do believe they'll win more than 3 out of the 8 left.

redlegs2370
09-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Unline the Reds, the Cardinals bats have awakened. They have drilled the Pirates and Cubs the last two days (actually scored 6 runs in the loss to the Pirates Wednesday) and are enroute to beating the Cubs bad again today. The Cards will run the table because they have the Pirates and Rox at home next week. The Rockies were just swept by the Dimondbacks last week. They can't play on the road.

So with that in consideration, the Reds need to win 3 more games. I'm not sure they can. The Astros pitching is too good for the Reds to win 2 of 3 and I think it will come down to winning 2 of 3 against the Brewers. They Brewer offense scares me at GABP.

Rockermann
09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/ligans/kids/games_index/thumbs/chickenlittlememorygame_thumb.jpg

One game out of each series is all the Reds need, worse case. I think that is MORE than likely to happen. And that's with the Cards winning out, which I have NO belief will happen.

justincredible
09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sky-is-falling.jpg

Even if the Reds go 0-the rest of the season (which they won't) they would still make the playoffs. The Cardinals bats aren't "awakening." They've won two in a row but lost three in a row before that (to Florida and Pitt) are currently losing 7-3 to the Cubs in the 8th inning.

redlegs2370
09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm eating crow right now (which I'm glad), I thought noway would Carpenter lose given a 3-0 lead. I would hope the Reds could win at least 2 of their remaining games.

bornready
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
so wait...this was a serious post?

liminal
09-25-2010, 07:37 PM
man--Reds fans make me want to facepalm.

The postseason is a lock. It was before today. We will win at least 3 games at home.

And these games against SD haven't been terrible. SD is a good team. They went through a rough patch, but they're turning it back on to stay relevant.

It's a bit annoying to see the Reds not playing up to par, but they will be in the playoffs. Even NPR has declared the Reds and Phillies as the only two "sure things" in the NL this year. If even NPR knows, everyone knows!

redlegs2370
09-25-2010, 09:03 PM

The postseason is a lock. It was before today. We will win at least 3 games at home.

And these games against SD haven't been terrible. SD is a good team. They went through a rough patch, but they're turning it back on to stay relevant.

It's a bit annoying to see the Reds not playing up to par, but they will be in the playoffs. Even NPR has declared the Reds and Phillies as the only two "sure things" in the NL this year. If even NPR knows, everyone knows!
The Cards took 3 of 4 from SD. SD lost 9 or 10 games in a row, the Reds should have been able to take 2 of 3, instead the Reds are in major jeopardy of getting swept.

I also wouldn't say the postseason is a lock, that is the problem. The team has been on cruise control thinking it is a lock. I'm not sure this team can still win 3 games the rest of the season. Obviously don't think they will beat the Padres, they have blown two chances to get it done Friday and Saturday. Then they will be lucky to win 2 games on the next homestand. The Astros clearly outclassed the Reds the last time they played and the Brewers pounded the Reds the last game at Milwaukee. So to me nothing is a lock.

liminal
09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
The Cards took 3 of 4 from SD. SD lost 9 or 10 games in a row, the Reds should have been able to take 2 of 3, instead the Reds are in major jeopardy of getting swept.

I also wouldn't say the postseason is a lock, that is the problem. The team has been on cruise control thinking it is a lock. I'm not sure this team can still win 3 games the rest of the season. Obviously don't think they will beat the Padres, they have blown two chances to get it done Friday and Saturday. Then they will be lucky to win 2 games on the next homestand. The Astros clearly outclassed the Reds the last time they played and the Brewers pounded the Reds the last game at Milwaukee. So to me nothing is a lock.

Okay, let's put it in perspective--I'll bet you 10,000 dollars that the Reds make the postseason.

Won't do it?

Didn't think so.

Quit being so overdramatic. No team is always great or always bad. The Padres went through a rough patch, the Cardinals went through a good patch, now the Pads are playing a little better and the Reds are struggling bit more.

the problem with this argument is your failing to recognize reality--yes, the Astros played better than the Reds, but the Reds still won 1 game. And yeah, the Brewers pounded the Reds in 1 game, but the Reds took the other two. So where in the logic of this world does this translate to--oh, the Reds will lose all 6 games at home?

justincredible
09-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Okay, let's put it in perspective--I'll bet you 10,000 dollars that the Reds make the postseason.

Won't do it?

Didn't think so.

Yep. People need to calm down.

will5979
09-26-2010, 07:08 AM
You all go right ahead and tell us to calm down and say anything can happen in the postseason but you know as well as I do that this team is in trouble, we are going to get embarassed in the playoffs and its pissing me off.

We will lose today and return with a 3-6 road trip which is about how I expected us to play, we will probably lose 2 of 3 to Houston, then we'll take 2 of 3 from Milwaukee. PAthetic, we won't even win 90 games, this team pisses me off that they aren't playing the way they have all year.

justincredible
09-26-2010, 08:50 AM
You all go right ahead and tell us to calm down and say anything can happen in the postseason but you know as well as I do that this team is in trouble, we are going to get embarassed in the playoffs and its pissing me off.

We will lose today and return with a 3-6 road trip which is about how I expected us to play, we will probably lose 2 of 3 to Houston, then we'll take 2 of 3 from Milwaukee. PAthetic, we won't even win 90 games, this team pisses me off that they aren't playing the way they have all year.

Well, I'm sorry that a team that wasn't supposed to make their push for the playoffs until next year but arrived one year ahead of schedule pisses you off. Maybe if you were more realistic you'd enjoy yourself a little more as a fan? Teams go through rough patches. It's not the end of the world.

Reds fans really make me SMH sometimes.

justincredible
09-26-2010, 08:54 AM

This thread now gets a double face palm for redlegs2370 and will5979.

http://www.lostrepublic.us/Graphics/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

will5979
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm sorry that a team that wasn't supposed to make their push for the playoffs until next year but arrived one year ahead of schedule pisses you off. Maybe if you were more realistic you'd enjoy yourself a little more as a fan? Teams go through rough patches. It's not the end of the world.

Reds fans really make me SMH sometimes.

Yep, typical fan, you have settled for what is there. Expectations have raised my friend. When an opportunity arrives you jump on it, we may not have it again for a while. I'm not just satisfied with a winning season now, I'm not going to be just satisfied with winning the central, I want to at least win a postseason series and the way it going we ain't going to win a damn postseason game. If you like to lose then you go right ahead and enjoy this crap.

sean
09-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Yep, typical fan, you have settled for what is there. Expectations have raised my friend. When an opportunity arrives you jump on it, we may not have it again for a while. I'm not just satisfied with a winning season now, I'm not going to be just satisfied with winning the central, I want to at least win a postseason series and the way it going we ain't going to win a damn postseason game. If you like to lose then you go right ahead and enjoy this crap.

If we get swept would you consider this a failed season?

justincredible
09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

I've settled for what is there, what does that even mean? As a fan I have no control over what the team does so don't I kinda have to settle for what is there? What opportunity am I supposed to jump on?

Bottom line, this is the best season the Reds have had in 15 years. Why would I not be happy with it? Who cares if the Reds are going through a rough patch? It doesn't mean crap once the playoffs start. There is no correlation between limping into the playoffs and getting embarrassed in the first series.

I am sure glad I have the ability to be rational.

will5979
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll feel like its been a failure because in my mind it will be a fluke that we were in the playoffs to begin with and clearly didn't belong. If this were the same team that I saw in May and August I would be saying go ahead and buy your World Series tickets, but as of right now we are going to be beaten, badly in the playoffs.

sean
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I'll feel like its been a failure because in my mind it will be a fluke that we were in the playoffs to begin with and clearly didn't belong. If this were the same team that I saw in May and August I would be saying go ahead and buy your World Series tickets, but as of right now we are going to be beaten, badly in the playoffs.

In your eyes it's a fluke that we're making the playoffs and probably don't belong. So they're exceeding your beginning expectations but it's still a failed season.

That's some weird logic my man.

justincredible
09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
We will lose today...

You mind giving us the winning lottery numbers also?

liminal
09-26-2010, 08:50 PM
You mind giving us the winning lottery numbers also?

I think we might be better off if he picks a set of losing lottery numbers.

Mr Larkin
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Magic number down to 1. Reds make the playoffs. There is nothing out there not worthy of celebration.

This team had potential. Reds fans felt it in the spring, but they have done far better than most expected and I think it will only get better from here.

Instead of going off the deep end, let us savor the feeling of a solid season and hope for more in the post-season which we WILL be a lart of for the first time in forever.

I do not enjoy fans who are never satisfied regardless of how well a team plays. It makes me want to put several guys on my ignore list, which I will probably do soon.

Great job Reds - Dusty and the boys have made their fan base proud this year. Thanks for a memorable season, no matter what happens next month.

1990REDS
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Do we play in a bad division? Yes, but I still dont believe that a team can be a "fluke" after a 162 game MLb schedule.

mlh1981
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM

There are so many different ways to enter the postseason.

Lots of teams throughout history played like CRAP in the final month(s) and made nice, long runs once the calender turned over to October.

Right off the top of my head, the 2006 Detroit Tigers are an example of this.

1990REDS
09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
There are so many different ways to enter the postseason.

Lots of teams throughout history played like CRAP in the final month(s) and made nice, long runs once the calender turned over to October.

Right off the top of my head, the 2006 Detroit Tigers are an example of this.

If I remember correctly, I think the 05 White Sox limped into the playoffs before winning it all.

justincredible
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
From another thread:

I get ESPN magazine as a part of having an Insider subscription. Got a nice little article in the latest magazine issue.

Apparently people put way more hype on this idea that you need to have momentum going into the playoffs when history shows that of the 20 teams in the wild card era that finished their last ten games 8-2 or better, only 2 (2005 White Sox and 98 Yanks) went on to win the WS. Now on the other side, 3 of 7 teams that finished w/ 3-7 record or worse in their last 10 games went on to win it all.

Some notables:
2000 Yanks lost 15 of their final 18 and went on to win a WS.

2006 - The Tigers lost 15 of their final 26 games and ended up losing the division in the process, and the Cards who were 12-17 in the month of Sept. both met int he WS.

So apparently the best approach to the last month of the season is much like the first month of the season. Let those who need to shake rust off and sharpen their play do so, and let those that need rest to have their rest.

Was a really nice little article to help shake some of the doubts and worries off heading into Oct. Looks like Dusty seems to be following this approach to a degree and maybe we shouldn't worry so much.. Who knows?

Wish I could share the whole article, as it can explain and go into more detail than I could go into. But trying to keep the hopes high and alive for everyone!

justincredible
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
But, we're guaranteed to get embarrassed in the NLDS because we aren't playing great right now.

redlegs2370
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sky-is-falling.jpg

Even if the Reds go 0-the rest of the season (which they won't) they would still make the playoffs. The Cardinals bats aren't "awakening." They've won two in a row but lost three in a row before that (to Florida and Pitt) are currently losing 7-3 to the Cubs in the 8th inning.

Do you care to explain what you mean by the Cards bats aren't "awakening"? Cards have won 5 of last 6 games and in those 6 games they have scored 39 runs (6.5 runs a game).