PDA

View Full Version : Which Corner Are You In?

dman
09-25-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't get to post much anymore on this board, as I'm busier now with my job, along with my daughter's ventures, but I was kinda' curious what everybody's take of this whole post-season berth is.

Are you in the mindset of "I'm happy that it's happening, but I look for them to be promptly eliminated"?

Do you feel "Please let somebody else draw Philadelphia in the first round of playoffs"?

I'm somewhere in between, especially seeing how the month of September has played out for them. I keep telling myself that they are playing like this so that they could come back home to clinch this thing in front of a home crowd, but I know that's far fecthed.

I know that the Reds have had a month of September that had them go a stretch of 3 straight weeks without a day off, which obviously wore on the players, and it seems like the "real" Dusty that I remember as the manager of the Cubs has resurfaced, for me being that 13-1 loss against the Brewers when anybody, my wife included who is not a baseball fan, could see that Cueto was way off and he didn't get him out soon enough and when he did, he replaced him with Harang.

It's goofy stuff like this that makes you wonder what the post-season will hold. I know this team has the talent and tools to go deep into the post season, I just don't think Dusty is the best of stewards to oversee that talent.

Brutus
09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I was thrilled until the last 7-10 days. Now the life has been sucked out of me and I've resigned myself to the fact the Reds are lining up to be the sacrificial lambs of the Philadelphia Phillies.

westofyou
09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
The party is getting there, that's the essence of the major league season, it's like a great concert. The post season is another animal, it's the after show party, it could suck, it could be the best, you have to get invited though, and to me that's the rush.

Dusty might not be the steward for the talent on hand, but I bet his guys will be prepared mentally and at the after show party that matters a lot.

Bring on anyone, this team is here early, anything can happen.

cincinnati chili
09-25-2010, 10:30 PM
If the NL West beats out the Braves for the wild card then we won't have to worry about drawing Philly in the first round. Go Padres and Giants.

But your point is well taken. This team isn't that good, but it's good enough in a year where there really isn't a great team in either league. The post season is a crap shoot. Let's enjoy the ride.

edabbs44
09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I am happy with this season as is and anything else will be gravy as far as I am concerned. If this team was principally made up of Rolen and Cabrera types I'd probably be a lot more concerned. But since the team has a large amount of guys in their 20s who will be here for a while, I think that fans need to be reasonable and take this season for what it is.

The explosion of Votto, the debut of Chapman, the growth of Stubbs, the (hopefully) turning of the proverbial corner for Bruce, the return of Volquez, the continued progression of Cueto and Homer and the emergence of a few bullpen arms are really giving me hope for the next 5 or so years. Add a GM who has great experience and a true knack for forming a complete roster and fans should be happy no matter what happens moving forward.

Anyone who gripes about this team, even if they get mercy ruled in Philly in 3 games, really needs to ask themselves if the problem lies in their expectations rather than in the team's performance.

dman
09-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I am happy with this season as is and anything else will be gravy as far as I am concerned. If this team was principally made up of Rolen and Cabrera types I'd probably be a lot more concerned. But since the team has a large amount of guys in their 20s who will be here for a while, I think that fans need to be reasonable and take this season for what it is.

The explosion of Votto, the debut of Chapman, the growth of Stubbs, the (hopefully) turning of the proverbial corner for Bruce, the return of Volquez, the continued progression of Cueto and Homer and the emergence of a few bullpen arms are really giving me hope for the next 5 or so years. Add a GM who has great experience and a true knack for forming a complete roster and fans should be happy no matter what happens moving forward.

Anyone who gripes about this team, even if they get mercy ruled in Philly in 3 games, really needs to ask themselves if the problem lies in their expectations rather than in the team's performance.

This team has already went way beyond any of my expectations. They have puzzled me and made me scratch my head at times, but they've simply amazed me at others.

I think and epic novel could almost be written about the Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs stories this season. Subbs seems to have that something about him that if the right person gets involved with his development he will explode sooner or later, hopefully in a Reds uniform.

Unassisted
09-25-2010, 10:41 PM
IMO, they won't get past the Phillies and they'll have to bring their A game to beat the Giants. Any other NL contender, I figure they've got a 50-50 chance of getting past.

RFS62
09-25-2010, 10:51 PM
The party is getting there, that's the essence of the major league season, it's like a great concert. The post season is another animal, it's the after show party, it could suck, it could be the best, you have to get invited though, and to me that's the rush.

Dusty might not be the steward for the talent on hand, but I bet his guys will be prepared mentally and at the after show party that matters a lot.

If the NL West beats out the Braves for the wild card then we won't have to worry about drawing Philly in the first round. Go Padres and Giants.

But your point is well taken. This team isn't that good, but it's good enough in a year where there really isn't a great team in either league. The post season is a crap shoot. Let's enjoy the ride.

Yeah, who really gave the 1990 Reds a ghost of a chance against the A's? Certainly none of the pundits. And not many outside of the Reds nation.

Talent rules over the long haul. But sometimes a group of guys can catch lightning in a bottle and do things that can't be reasonably predicted.

We have to play our best baseball to make it out of the first round in the playoffs. We did against Pittsburgh in 1990. That series was a thing of beaury. And I believe the confidence and incredible wave of europhoria that came out of that series played a large part in sweeping the A's.

A short series can bring that kind of beauty, and conversly it can bring Reggie Sandersesque horror like 1995.

This season has been such a blessing.... such a wonderfull gift to the survivors of the "lost decade". Savor it. Don't take it for granted. Find a way, anyway, to enjoy it. You don't know when it will happen again. We may well play championship baseball for the next several years. But nobody knows for sure. I thought the '75-'76 Reds would rule for several more years.
You just never know for sure.

Find a way to savor every nano-second.

VR
09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
They are limping to the finish line.....it's time for Dusty to start tweaking the lineup based on the bats that are ready.

Moving Phillips down in the order was a good (and shocking) 1st step.

dman
09-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, who really gave the 1990 Reds a ghost of a chance against the A's? Certainly none of the pundits. And not many outside of the Reds nation.

Talent rules over the long haul. But sometimes a group of guys can catch lightning in a bottle and do things that can't be reasonably predicted.

We have to play our best baseball to make it out of the first round in the playoffs. We did against Pittsburgh in 1990. That series was a thing of beaury. And I believe the confidence and incredible wave of europhoria that came out of that series played a large part in sweeping the A's.

A short series can bring that kind of beauty, and conversly it can bring Reggie Sandersesque horror like 1995.

This season has been such a blessing.... such a wonderfull gift to the survivors of the "lost decade". Savor it. Don't take it for granted. Find a way, anyway, to enjoy it. You don't know when it will happen again. We may well play championship baseball for the next several years. But nobody knows for sure. I thought the '75-'76 Reds would rule for several more years.

I completely agree with your outlook, especially your part about never knowing for sure when we may see it again, and never has there been a time when that is more true than now with high dollar free agent signings.

MrCinatit
09-25-2010, 11:25 PM
They playoffs are a strange creature - strange things can happen in a short series, where an unexpected team can suddenly get hot and find themselves going for the ultimate trophy. Who knows.

That said, I highly doubt that will happen, this year. What I see this year's playoffs for the Reds is: Experience. This is a young team, and a hungry one - but, I don't think, quite good enough. This will give their kids a chance to play in a true pressure situation, a chance to get their feet wet.
And a chance to see another team celebrate as that other team passes to the other round. This is where the hunger will come into play.
I can almost picture the likes of Votto, Bruce, Phillips and Cueto sitting in the Reds' dugout, unblinking, watching the other team celebrate their last victory of the playoffs (maybe even in GABP...imagine that). Those guys and more will want more. They will hunger even more that celebration. Sure, they can watch it on TV - but seeing it before you. And that hunger will grow.
Could be wishful thinking, but this team has proven time and time again this season (early on, at least) that they can come from behind and can handle pressure. They just need to grow into it a little bit more.

dsmith421
09-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I think and epic novel could almost be written about the Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs stories this season. Subbs seems to have that something about him that if the right person gets involved with his development he will explode sooner or later, hopefully in a Reds uniform.

I really don't think there's any coincidence that both of them turned into planet-devouring monsters when Edmonds turned up. I'd like to see "Jimmy" retained on the staff in some capacity.

WebScorpion
09-26-2010, 12:09 AM
The lesson taught by the 1990 Reds was any team can win if they can mange to play together, get hot at the right time, pick each other up, and never give up. These guys can do that. Will they? I don't know, but it's going to be a whole heap of fun finding out. :beerme:

macro
09-26-2010, 12:28 AM
I said the following in the "Anybody Concerned?" thread on September 18:

On this date in 1990, the Reds would lose the first of three straight games, a streak that would put them at 6-11 in their last 17 games. After the games of September 11, 1990, the Reds lead in the NL West was 7 games. Nine days later, on September 20, it was down to 3 1/2.

The final Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the season (the season ended on Wednesday that year) saw them get swept by Padres, but they still managed to win the West by 5 games.

So there is a precedent for a team playing poorly in the final days of the season and having things work out okay in the postseason. In fact, I'd rather they not be on a roll right now, because in baseball, a team can't sustain a blazing hot pace for weeks on end. A long baseball season has an ebb and flow, and I'd rather the Reds hit their high tide once the postseason starts.

I'll add that I really do think the Phillies are peaking too early, and I will be shocked if they actually make it to the World Series.

pedro
09-26-2010, 12:58 AM

I love this analogy

Brutus
09-26-2010, 01:58 AM
I said the following in the "Anybody Concerned?" thread on September 18:

I'll add that I really do think the Phillies are peaking too early, and I will be shocked if they actually make it to the World Series.

I had forgotten how the regular season ended for the 1990 team, so that's a little uplifting in looking back.

I will say while I tend to agree with you about the Phillies, you could always find a 2007 Colorado Rockies that did peak a little early but carried their momentum right through.

dougdirt
09-26-2010, 02:06 AM
I am glad its happening and I really don't care who we draw. If our pitching shows up, we can beat anyone. If it doesn't, we won't. I don't care if it is the Phillies or anyone else... if our pitching doesn't perform very well, we won't win. Fortunately, our pitchers have that potential. Unfortunately, its just that for now. I will be glad to be there though, because we have the pure talent to beat anyone in a 5-7 game series if our guys step up.

corkedbat
09-26-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm gonna be overjoyed just making it to the postseason this year. Too many of the tuys seem to be hitting a wall the last two or three weeks though. Hope fully they clinch in the next couple of days though and can devote most of the next week resting guys and ordering the rotation for the 1st round. This time around, I'll be ecstatic if they can make it to the 2nd round.

One of the things I'm most interested to see though is how the FO handles the offseason and builds upon this to strengthen the squad for next year and beyond.

mdccclxix
09-26-2010, 03:41 AM
In general, I think this town could do better to refocus their perception of the Reds from one of former royalty, oldest franchise, etc, to current real underdog. Without the payroll of NY, LA, Chicago teams, they've accomplished a lot. The underdog angle hasn't been used at all by the media or the Reds, but they really are one at this point. And they'll always be one as far as I can see. So, I guess that puts me on the side of being excited to just get the call to go the playoffs, then see what happens.

The Operator
09-26-2010, 03:55 AM
I have this weird feeling it's going to be a laugher, one way or another.

I could see The Reds getting hot and steamrolling the competition. I could also see The Reds getting bounced right out in the first round and going home without their lunch money. I'm hoping for the former.

In the end, it'll be a rush just to watch postseason baseball played by The Reds.

This is gonna basically be "my first time", if you will. Too young in 1990 and barely remember 1995 so I'm foaming at the mouth to see this, whatever it may hold.

RedsBaron
09-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Yep. The Reds certainly would be underdogs against the Phillies, and I will pleasantly surprised if they go very far in the post season--but in a short series there is always a chance. The 1990 Reds appeared to be stumbling into the post season, but once they got there they were lights out. One thing I like about the 1990 Reds is that while the Larkin/Browning/Davis/O'Neill/Rijo group of Reds that showed so much promise between 1985-92 only made one post season appearance, they made the most of the chance.
It took the Big Red Machine a long time to finally win it all, but they had enough talent to be able to keep returning and returning to the post season before they finally made it all the way. This bunch of Reds has a nice group of young players, but there is no guarantee that they will make repeated post season visits. They, and Reds fans, should enjoy 2010 for all it is worth.

09-26-2010, 07:56 AM

I look at it similarly, but like a trip. Maybe the road won't lead me to the the destination I want, but if the journey itself is a blast, then it was worthwhile adventure..

oneupper
09-26-2010, 08:18 AM
What's a playoff?

WVRed
09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
What's a playoff?

YouTube - Playoffs??? The Sound Byte (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk)

jojo
09-26-2010, 09:30 AM
It's the playoffs after a lost decade. This is no time to get all diva. Just enjoy the show.

Degenerate39
09-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Anything can happen in the post season

cincrazy
09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not concerning myself too much with this lackadaisical September. Yes, I do think we'd lose to the Phillies, because I think the Phillies are the best team in baseball. But outside of that, I like our chances. We've been banged up in September, and with our cushion in the division, we've been able to back off the pedal a little bit. The 2006 Cardinals and the 2000 Yankees, among others, are teams that went into the playoffs ICE COLD, and came out champs. Momentum really doesn't seem to mean anything from a historical perspective, and I think it will all depend on matchups.

If we draw the Padres in the first round, and the Giants take out the Phillies in the opposite bracket, who knows?

steig
09-26-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm really enjoying the playoff team this season. But I'm more excited about the future than I am about this year. I don't think the Reds have much of a chance in the playoffs and I'm not satisfied with seeing the Reds make the playoffs. The Reds will have a fighting chance in the first round but odds are they won't get past the Phillies when they have to play them. I want to see them win the World Series again in the near future, anything less is failure. That is why I'm excited for the future of this team. I think the team will possibly be at a great point in 2012, after Leake, Wood, and Chapman have developed at little more. I also believe the other teams in the Reds division are at crossroads where the Reds could make a move to dominate the division for several years. The Cubs are well the Cubs and have several big, wasted contracts. But the Cardinals have proven this year that they may have several great players on their team but they don't have any role players or middle level players to make them a true 'team'. And the potential of signing Pujols to a $30 million plus annual salary could handicap their team for a long time to come.

membengal
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Thrilled to be here. Looking foward to the clinch.

Hoping for the best in the playoffs.

Hoping this is a preview of coming attractions.

Ghosts of 1990
09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I am happy just to win a division and get to play some playoff games. Worry about the rest when the time comes, and due to what I've seen in the last 20 games (a stretch in which we're 7-13) I don't think we're going to do much in the playoffs.

I'm happy just to be where we're at.

Dom Heffner
09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
How can you not love this year? A Red who could be the MVP in Votto, beating the Cards for the division title....really cool.

The Phiilies are the best team in baseball over a short series, no question.

But they do have to play the games and win them, and if baseball teaches us nothing else, it's that anything can happen in a small sample size.

This isnt about who is the best team, it's about who is best on the scheduled game days.

The Reds were not better than the A's in 1990, but they were during a 4 game stretch.

I don't think anyone here would pick them to win it all, but they still play the games, you know?

westofyou
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
In general, I think this town could do better to refocus their perception of the Reds from one of former royalty, oldest franchise, etc, to current real underdog. Without the payroll of NY, LA, Chicago teams, they've accomplished a lot. The underdog angle hasn't been used at all by the media or the Reds, but they really are one at this point. And they'll always be one as far as I can see. So, I guess that puts me on the side of being excited to just get the call to go the playoffs, then see what happens.
Yes the town needs to realign their hope with the fact that they are an underdog, that they are a small market team in a big market showcase (playoffs)

They also need to quit saying their the oldest franchise and start saying 1st professional team.

PuffyPig
09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Fior anyone who say that we would have no chance to beat the Phillies, I say "Have you never watched baseball before"?

In baseball, the worse baseball team can beat the best. And we are a good team.

The Phillies likely have a 60% chance to beat us. But that's all.

LoganBuck
09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
The current issue of ESPN the Magazine has an article about being hot, or cold going into the playoffs. Statistically speaking they found very little correlation to late season play and actual playoff results. They also pointed out that in the last 48 playoff series, that homefield advantage was irrelevant (24-24). Ryan Hanigan is just as likely to be a playoff hero as Ryan Howard.

SandyD
09-26-2010, 12:07 PM
For me, baseball is about the ride. The downs are as important as the ups. I occasionally get really bummed out by a "big loss" like the 3-run homer off Bailey by Molina a few weeks ago. And last night too. But ... it's part of the process.

For those of us who remember, losing the series in 1972 made winning in 1975 all the sweeter.

Losing in September doesn't make this season bad. Look at it this way, if both the Reds and Cards win today, the Reds have a chance to clinch at home.

Playoffs? Satisfied to get there? Not really. I really WANT them to win it all. I really DON'T want them to get blown out in the first round. But, I'll take it one game at a time. Whatever happens, it will be great to get there.

TheNext44
09-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Gene Tenace
Bucky Dent
Rick Dempsey
Kurt Bevacqua
Darrell Porter
Billy Hatcher
Pat Borders
Scott Brosius
David Eckstein

These are players that just off the top of my head I can remember being difference makers in the post season.

Like PuffyPig and others have said, anything can happen in the playoffs.

Personally, I always just happy to have a contending team. I thoroughly enjoyed the late 80's when the Reds lead by Rose finished second year after year after year. Meaningful September baseball is all I ever ask for.

Heath
09-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I have two Reds team photos in my office. One is of the '75 team and one was of the '73 team.

There are people in Boston who still think Carlton Fisk won the World Series. There are still people in Cincinnati that still are stunned that they got beat by Jon Matlack.

When they make it, I'm buying pennants, shirts, etc. You never know.

edabbs44
09-26-2010, 12:53 PM
The shame of it will be that there will be some fans who are disappointed in this season if they get bounced in the first round. There will be rehashing of games where things could have been differently, there will be critiques of lineups and of certain games lost, there will be blame put on some players where maybe it will be unfair, and even of trades that were not made. "If they just did these 4 things differently, they could have had played team X and then advanced."

And that will be sad.

RANDY IN INDY
09-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Thank you, my friend.:beerme: My sentiments exactly!

MWM
09-26-2010, 01:19 PM
This season has been so fun that anything else from here on out is gravy. Worrying about thow they'll fare in the post-season is a waste of energy in my mind.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I've been very frustrated with the way the Reds have played lately, but at the same time I'm enjoying this. It's been a great season. I've waited a long time for this. There were times when I thought I would never see the Reds play in the playoffs, now the time has finally come. I hope this is the first of many great seasons to come for the Reds.

BoydsOfSummer
09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm really thrilled for the younger fans. At 44, I've been fortunate to enjoy some really good periods of Reds baseball--including three World Champs. We have teenagers and folks well into their 20's who are enjoying a playoff run for the first time in their lives after years of rooting on a crappy franchise. That is pretty awesome.

Enjoy the hell out of it my friends!

vaticanplum
09-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not usually satisfied with less than the best so I want them to win the World Series and that's pretty much it. Call me a pessimist if you want. I'll still enjoy the ride every bit as much as anybody else.

mdccclxix
09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes the town needs to realign their hope with the fact that they are an underdog, that they are a small market team in a big market showcase (playoffs)

They also need to quit saying their the oldest franchise and start saying 1st professional team.

There is still dignity in being a major league team, so I really see no downside to embracing our role as an underdog team, and underdog city. It's a powerful anecdote and isn't a stretch to look at things that way. Somehow, I think some fans think of the Reds more like UK in basketball, but I think of them more like XU. The past is the past and you have to earn your shot - this team has, despite the odds. I'm not fearful of the Phillies or any other team, just ready to seize the opportunity. :beerme:

Ron Madden
09-26-2010, 03:08 PM
It's been a very entertaining and fun filled season. Anything can happen in the post season, there are no guarantees of when we'll have another chance to be a part of something like this, let's enjoy the moment.

macro
09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Gene Tenace
Bucky Dent
Rick Dempsey
Kurt Bevacqua
Darrell Porter
Billy Hatcher
Pat Borders
Scott Brosius
David Eckstein

These are players that just off the top of my head I can remember being difference makers in the post season.

Like PuffyPig and others have said, anything can happen in the playoffs.

Personally, I always just happy to have a contending team. I thoroughly enjoyed the late 80's when the Reds lead by Rose finished second year after year after year. Meaningful September baseball is all I ever ask for.

I would add Brian Doyle of the Yankees in 1978.

Dan
09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Personally I like the idea that our players are getting loads of rest. I won't mind them going up against the Phillies. This team is competitive regardless of competition. Yes there's a chance they'll be out-classed, but I don't think that's going to happen. Do I think they'll win in a 5-game series? Don't know.

Roy Tucker
09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
For me, baseball is about the ride. The downs are as important as the ups. I occasionally get really bummed out by a "big loss" like the 3-run homer off Bailey by Molina a few weeks ago. And last night too. But ... it's part of the process.

For those of us who remember, losing the series in 1972 made winning in 1975 all the sweeter.

Losing in September doesn't make this season bad. Look at it this way, if both the Reds and Cards win today, the Reds have a chance to clinch at home.

Playoffs? Satisfied to get there? Not really. I really WANT them to win it all. I really DON'T want them to get blown out in the first round. But, I'll take it one game at a time. Whatever happens, it will be great to get there.

Well said, Sandy. Life is a train ride and all that. And baseball is life.

The only way I come out of this season happy is when the Reds win the World Series.

If they lose in the playoffs, I'll be happier (as in degrees of feeling better about the Reds) than I was at the beginning of the year and pleased with making the post-season and look forward to 2011. But I won't be content with what happened and I'll want more.

bucksfan2
09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I've been very frustrated with the way the Reds have played lately, but at the same time I'm enjoying this. It's been a great season. I've waited a long time for this. There were times when I thought I would never see the Reds play in the playoffs, now the time has finally come. I hope this is the first of many great seasons to come for the Reds.

Its kinda funny because it seems like this magic number has been stagnant for the better half of September. But when you take a second to realize that the Reds have a 6.5 game lead with a week left in the season. I think Dusty is doing a good job of getting players rested, giving alot of players PT, and realizing its all about going into the post season fresh.

I think a lot of Reds fans are waiting for the other shoe to fall but it wasn't going to. Its all about preparing for the post season. Most of us fans wanted the Reds to steam roll in to the playoffs but after one more win or Cards loss, it will be all gravy.

cumberlandreds
09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I would add Brian Doyle of the Yankees in 1978.

Thank you. I was trying think of him. The playoffs and World Series are full of people who had short and not so great careers that had that 15 minutes of fame.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Reds go out quick in the playoffs but if they won it all it would surprise me less. Anything and everything can happen in post season baseball. Of all the professional sports its the best post season because many times the bit player will make the biggest difference for the team that wins it all.
Enjoy the moment because you never know when it may come this way again.

RANDY IN INDY
09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
It will be nice to be able to wear my Reds cap with relevance in October! People who know me have basically said, "You are the true fan. You wear the cap when they "stink," as well!"

Plus Plus
09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
This seems like the most appropriate place to put this.

Reds fans love their Reds, the best way they know. Every silver lining has its cloud.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/09/24/reds.fans/index.html

To any pessimists on RZ, please remember how much less fun it was to lose close to 100 games earlier in the decade. I am 23 years old and have never gotten to see the team that I have loved ever since I can remember (the 1995 playoffs are incredibly distant by now), with my earliest Reds memory being yelling for Eric Davis to look up at me in the stands of Riverfront Stadium.

Love this team, love this season. I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't ask for anything more.

dman
09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
This seems like the most appropriate place to put this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/09/24/reds.fans/index.html

To any pessimists on RZ, please remember how much less fun it was to lose close to 100 games earlier in the decade. I am 23 years old and have never gotten to see the team that I have loved ever since I can remember (the 1995 playoffs are incredibly distant by now), with my earliest Reds memory being yelling for Eric Davis to look up at me in the stands of Riverfront Stadium.

Love this team, love this season. I know the players and coaches probably wouldn't ask for anything more.

Man, after reading that article, I'm feeling bad that I ever started this thread.:(

I love the Reds as much as I cam love any sports franchise, and when baseball is mentioned, I can't even ponder liking any other team. I've liked certain players from other teams, but never another team as a whole.

This Reds team is special. If I bring out bitternes that was once tossed around on here by saying this, I apologize, but over the last few years, especially those where we had Dunn and Junior on the same team, it seemed like such a negative vibe going around that it almost felt uncomfortable to even watch them play on television.

When I watch this team play now, I see a team in which EVERY player respects and values the talents that each brings to the table.

A good case in point was a couple of weeks back when Cordero blew the save against the Pirates and the Reds ended up losing on the Sunday of that series. I looked in and saw Brandon Phillips consoling Cordero.

So, yes, "on paper" the Reds may not be able to compete with Philadelphia, Texas, New York, or Tampa, but when it comes down to playing with heart and soul, I think this team has enough to win the World Series.

mth123
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't understand why there has to be a corner. Why can't we be happy that the losing has stopped while still feeling like they are way outclassed in the post-season and wishing that they would have done more at the deadline to even the score? Why can't I be excited about the nucleus and hopeful for the future while also wondering if this might be the only chance they'll get to win a championship? Say all you want about the young talent (and I think the Reds are in for a competitive period), but the Reds have gotten major contributions from guys like Rolen, Hernandez, Phillips, Arroyo and Rhodes. Its doubtful that they'll be as good in the future or around very long. Its possible that 2010 is as good as it gets. I've enjoyed the heck out of it, but why can't I feel like the Reds may be passing on an opportunity because they didn't make a move to capitalize on it.

I'm thrilled with 2010, but now that we're in it, I want the team to win it and I don't take it for granted that they'll be back. Lots of teams that have a good core of young players never get that steady year to year improvement culminating in a championship that so many on this board seem to be counting on. For a fairly large percentage of the major cogs on this team, 2010 isn't the beginning and may just be one last hurrah.

WebScorpion
09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
This may well be the best this team ever gets, but I don't think so. I think they'll go into this playoff gauntlet with a 'nothing to lose' attitude and if this machine fires on all cylinders look out! They can beat anyone if each player is playing at their best. Get ready to witness history. :D

Now, if they play like they've been playing of late it will be a nice experience for the young players and a good way to weed out the pretenders from the studs in the rotation. Not to mention the extra cash for next year's payroll. Even if we lose we win! ;)