PDA

View Full Version : Since the Reds were last in the playoffs....

Homer Bailey
09-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Good piece from Mo Egger:

The Reds have played 2,425 games. Three people have owned them. Eight have managed them. They've had four general managers, two ballparks, where 28,245,219 fans have come watch them play since the last time this franchise tasted any champagne. They played on turf and they've plaed on grass. They've employed hundreds of players and spent more then $593 million on them.

http://homer247.com/pages/mo.html?an=john-bale

What has changed for you since the Reds were last in the playoffs?

I've graduated elementary school, middle school, high school, college, got a full time job, moved from West Virginia, to Ohio, to Chicago. I've been to approximately 120 Reds games in 7 different parks, and said 21,489 curse words at a television screen.

Enjoy it Reds fans...

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow. I didn't expect pieces of journalism to make me tear up until the Reds had officially clinched at least.

Brutus
09-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I've exactly doubled in age.

Went from wanting to get my driver's license to wishing for the days when I was first getting my license.

Went through high school, broadcasting school and got into writing while splitting time living between Columbus and Atlanta.

And now, 'bout to see the Bengals and Reds in the playoffs in the same calendar year. This is usually the part in the movie where the character realizes it's a dream.

HeatherC1212
09-27-2010, 12:32 AM
That article is awesome! I just retweeted it on Twitter and posted it to my Facebook page so my other Reds fan friends could read it. Talk about putting things in perspective! It's been a LOOOOOONG time since Reds fans could cheer about something and I am SO ready to party if/when the guys clinch this thing (not gonna jinx it, LOL). :jump:

deltachi8
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I graduated college, got married, had a child, got divorced, changed careers, got married, quit my job moved to texas, had a second child and became mr. mom.

SirFelixCat
09-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I spent 7 years in the USMC, got married (twice...this time for good), changed careers twice, went around the world...twice, moved more times than I can count, and, somewhere along the way, got old, heh.

Awesome read.

Ron Madden
09-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I think that article pretty much describes each and every one of us here at RedsZone.

Chip R
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
20 events that have happened since the Cubs have won the World Series.

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Reviews/WrigleyField/TopTwenty.htm

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
The last time the Reds were in the playoffs, I was a virgin who couldn't drive. I think that pretty much sums it up.

(Just in case I'm pandering to the wrong audience here...this is a reference to that undying Hollywood classic, Clueless.)

The Operator
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
And now, 'bout to see the Bengals and Reds in the playoffs in the same calendar year. This is usually the part in the movie where the character realizes it's a dream.
I've been talking about that a lot as well. I've been telling a lot of friends - "do you realize The Bengals and Reds will have made the playoffs in the same 365 days? It's been a long time since this has happened."

I can't wait for the playoffs, but honestly, this week is really gonna be sad too. For starters, I have 3 exams this week, and this is the last week of the season. This has been the funnest season ever for me. I know I've moaned and groaned a lot along the way, but this his been a blast. Just an absolute great time. I'm really sad it's coming to an end. I remember being pumped when The Bengals made the playoffs on 2005 but that won't hold a candle to this. This is going to be an emotional experience, and I realize that sounds ridiculous but I don't care. I'd honestly reached the point where I was questioning if I'd ever see them field a winning team again. But they finally got this thing right. Joey Votto emerged as Superman and Scott Rolen came riding in on a Golden Stallion fresh from his visit to the fountain of youth, and here we are.

For me, since the last time The Reds made the playoffs? I was 8 in 1995. That would have put me in 2nd/3rd grade, 3rd for the playoffs. Since then, I've taken up drumming - I've played live many places, and laid tracks down on multiple recordings. I've graduated elementary, Junior High, High School, and I'm graduating in March with my Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. (That "4 year" thing hasn't really played out for me.)

As a group, we've seen Clinton's second term, Bush's entire tenure, and our first African American President - Barack Obama. We witnessed the horrendous attacks on 9/11. Layne Staley died of an overdose. Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden have all broken up - AND reformed. There are two more Major League teams now.

It's been a long time.

The Operator
09-27-2010, 12:51 AM
20 events that have happened since the Cubs have won the World Series.

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Reviews/WrigleyField/TopTwenty.htmYES!

sivman17
09-27-2010, 01:00 AM
nm

BearcatShane
09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I'v exactly quadrupled in age (5 then 20 now)
Went from first year of Kindergarden to working on a Business degree.

Umm. Thats.. it?

Guess I live a boring life.

Caveat Emperor
09-27-2010, 01:11 AM
The last time the Reds were in the playoffs, I was a virgin who couldn't drive. I think that pretty much sums it up.

(Just in case I'm pandering to the wrong audience here...this is a reference to that undying Hollywood classic, Clueless.)

Which, fittingly, was released in 1995.

Since the last time the Reds were in the Playoffs:

- I've graduated three times (high school, college, law school).

- I've owned 4 cars.

- I've left Cincinnati, lived in 3 different cities, and moved back to Cincinnati all over again.

- I've gained the franchise as an American citizen, and voted in 3 Presidential elections.

- I've purchased MLB-licensed video games (and won championships as the Reds) for the PlayStation 1, 2 and 3.

- I've bought six albums released by my favorite group, the Dave Matthews Band, and attended 20 of their concerts (by comparison, my favorite album of 1995 was "Cracked Rear View" by Hootie and the Blowfish).

- I've owned 80s Ah-nold classic "Commando" on three different formats: VHS, DVD and BluRay.

- I've gone from accessing the "internet" on a 33Mhz Macintosh w/ a 14.4 kbps modem (AOL FTW) to wirelessly connecting at DSL speeds on a 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro.

It's been a long time coming. My only request is that the Cardinals win tomorrow, so that I can be there in person when the team clinches on Tuesday night.

Brutus
09-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I've been talking about that a lot as well. I've been telling a lot of friends - "do you realize The Bengals and Reds will have made the playoffs in the same 365 days? It's been a long time since this has happened."

It looks like 1976 is the last time both made the playoffs within the same calendar year, though 1990 they made it during the same season year.

mbgrayson
09-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I've changed jobs a couple times, and my wife and I have had two sons, who are now 13 and 14 years old.

I was explaining to my oldest son why I was so excited about this magic number stuff. "Son, the Reds haven't been in the playoffs since before you were born." That seemed to put it into some perspective for both of us....

reds44
09-27-2010, 01:23 AM
I was barely six years old the last time the Reds were in the playoffs.
In 1999 I turned 10 years old.
I then became a Reds fan.
I joined redzone.
I then learned how to drive.
I then turned 18.
I then turned 21.

During that time span I've seen the Reds play in:
Riverfront Stadium
Great American Ballpark
Wrigley Field
U.S. Cellular Field
Minute Maid Park
Jacobs Field
RFK Stadium
Busch Stadium
Busch Stadium
Miller Park

Most importantly, I've been asked a countless number of times "why are you a Reds fan?" and have been made fun of by Cubs/Cardinals/White Sox/Brewers fans for being a Reds fan.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day we made the playoffs. I'm so used to watching us lose, that I don't know how to react to winning. I have no idea what I'm going to do when we clinch. I honestly don't know how to think or feel.

The old saying is act like you've been there before, but myself and many other posters on this board have never been here before.

All the losses I've sat through, all the bad teams, is for this season. The joy that comes out of when you stick with a team and your dream finally comes true.

reds44
09-27-2010, 01:27 AM
This is the park that made my eyes water:

But at some point this week, if you're the guy who stuck with them, who watched or listened on many, many hopeless nights, if you trudged out to mostly empty ballparks late in the year to watch you favorite team play out the string, if you had to explain to your friends, or your wife, or your kid why you still liked this team, if you're the guy who as Joey Hamilton or Brett Tomko, or whomever, took the hill on Opening Day you convinced anyone who'd listen that indeed this would be the year, if you listened to and tried to rationalize every bad decision, if you listened to every manager and GM claim they had the answer, if you pinned your hopes on the latest trade being the one that would ensure you'd see October baseball in person, if you continued to buy the gear, if you went to RedsFest every year, if you still road trips to see them play, if you shrugged your shoulders and reached for the wallet with every ticket price hike, if throughout the losing, disappointment, anger, disenchantment, hard feelings, and Octobers spent watching someone else play for baseball's grand prize, you still rooted, if you still believed.....
That guy is me, and many of the people on here.

The Operator
09-27-2010, 01:38 AM
This is starting to get very real. All season long, I've been tempering my enthusiasm expecting the wheels to fall off, and yet, here we are. I'm so proud of this team, even if they get knocked right out of the playoffs without so much as a whimper - I'll always love this 2010 Reds team.

WVRedsFan
09-27-2010, 02:31 AM
I've gone from being middle age to geezer. I've made money, lost money, merged my business, un-merged my business, and filed suit over the merger. I've owned 10 cars. I've covered and written on 450 NASCAR races. Attended 150 West Virginia University football games. got my son through college and employed him as an associate. Watched approximately 1,800 Reds games on TV. I've attended 50 Reds games in person and saw them lose 34 times. And I've cussed a lot more than Homer at the TV.

The post shocking revelation in all of this is that Homer actually lived in WV. You have my sympathy, brother. At you had the sense to get out...or I had the intelligence to stay. Your choice.

Ron Madden
09-27-2010, 03:36 AM
It's fans like red44, OBM, The Operator and countless others that I'm so happy for. Fans that have never had the chance to know the feeling of winning a Division flag, a NL pennant or a World Series trophy.

Let's all enjoy and savor the entire experience of the season, the playoffs and hopefully the World Series.

Redsfan320
09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Um... I've been born. Gotten through the 1st 10 yrs. of school, I guess.

cumberlandreds
09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I am very happy for the young fans who have never been through a pennant race with the Reds. I've been lucky enough to have grown up during the Big Red Machine days and saw the Reds in their full glory. I witnessed pennant races in the mid to late 80's that always ended in disappointment. But the Reds were competitive. Then 1990 they finally broke through and made the playoffs. Then they went on an improbable run to the World Championship. The young fans are finally getting that experience. They should take what I learned over the last 15 years. Don't take this for granted. It won't always be there. So enjoy the moment. You will never know when this may come again.
Much has happened to me over the last 15 years. I've gone from entering the middle years of my life to the end of those middle years and heading into the last third of my life. Most things that have happened in the last 15 years has been painful for me so I won't get into them here. But this season has been a light in the distance that has been very enjoyable and totally unforgettable.

RBA
09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
28,245,219 fans have come watch them play.

I could be mistaken, but aren't they counting some of the same fans more than once?

15fan
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
To put the post-season drought in perspective, here’s a look at what has happened since the Braves swept the Reds in the 1995 NLCS:

The Olympics have been held in Atlanta, Nagano, Sydney, Salt Lake City, Athens, Torino, Beijing and Vancouver.

Bill Clinton was re-elected President of the United States.

The dot com boom. And the dot com bust. And the housing boom. And the housing bust.

US Census data shows the estimated US population grew by approximately 41 million people, from 267 million to 307 million. That is equivalent to adding a metro NYC (19 million), metro LA (12 million) and metro Chicago (9.6 million).

Tom Hanks starred in these productions, to name but a few: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Saving Private Ryan, You’ve Got Mail, The Green Mile, Cast Away, Band of Brothers, Catch Me If You Can, The Polar Express, Cars, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels & Demons.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi had not yet been digitally remastered. It would be 3.5 years before we would be introduced to Jar Jar Binks in Episode I (1999), and almost a decade before George Lucas wrapped up the Episode I-III trilogy in 2005.

Jay-Z had not yet released his debut album Reasonable Doubt (1996).

JonBenet Ramsey was still alive.

Strom Thurmond served in the US Senate for 7 more years. Thurmond left office and later died in 2003.

Microsoft’s Windows 95 was the latest and greatest OS, only a few weeks old.

The NASA Pathfinder probe to Mars was launched in December 1996.

Joe Camel was still being used in tobacco ads until 1997.

The world had not yet seen an iPod, and iPhone, an iPad, or even an iMac, which was introduced to consumers in 1998.

Madonna’s daughter Lourdes had not yet been conceived.

November 1995:
Terry Glenn: “Michigan is nothing special.”
Tim Biakabutuka promptly rushed for 313 yards.

John Cooper went 1-5 vs. Michigan from 1995-2000, and was replaced by Jim Tressel who is 8-1 vs. Michigan.

Amazon.com was launched in 1995. According to Forbes.com, owner Jeff Bezos was worth approximately $12.3 billion at the beginning of 2010.

Starbucks had not yet opened a store outside the United States. Today, they have approximately 6,000 stores in 48 countries outside the United States.

11/21/95 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 5,023.55, marking the first time the index closed above 5,000. Since then, it has climbed to over 14,000, fallen to under 7,000, and risen to over 10,000 again.

15 different players from 10 different schools won a Heisman trophy.

Brett Favre played 12 seasons, retired, then unretired to play for the Jets once and the Vikings twice (and counting).

As of the beginning of the 2010 NFL season, Peyton Manning had started 192 regular season games at QB for the Indianapolis Colts, completing 4,232 of 6,531 passes for 50,128 yards and 366 TDs

19 Different NFL teams have played in the Super Bowl: Atlanta, Arizona, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Denver (2), Green Bay (2), Indianapolis (2), New England (5), New Orleans, New York Giants (2), Oakland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (3), St. Louis (2), Seattle, Tampa Bay, and Tennessee.

Michael Jordan and the Bulls won 3 NBA titles. Then Jordan retired for the 2nd time. Then he unretired a second time to play with Washington. Then he retired for a third time. Then he worked in the Wizards’ front office. Then he played some golf. Then he bought a minority stake in the Bobcats. Then he bought a majority ownership stake in the Bobcats.

Kobe Bryant gradated from high school in the spring of 1996 and has scored 25,790 regular season points, which is more than any other player in the history of the LA Lakers.

Tiger Woods finished his second year at Stanford before turning pro in August 1996. Since turning pro, Woods has won 14 majors (2nd all-time to Jack Nicklaus) and 71 tournaments total (3rd all-time).

Reds pitcher Mike Leake was in 1st grade the last time the Reds were in the playoffs.

17 different teams have played in the World Series. 10 in the NL: Atlanta (3), Arizona, Colorado, Florida (2), Houston, New York, Philadelphia (2), St. Louis (2), San Diego and San Francisco. 7 teams have represented the AL: Anaheim, Boston (2), Chicago, Cleveland (2), Detroit, New York (7), and Tampa.

Derek Jeter, who has more hits as a Yankee than any other player in the history of the franchise, has amassed 559 post-season ABs, 175 post-season hits, 637 post-season plate appearances, and 99 post-season runs scored. A player in MLB can qualify for the regular season batting title with 502 plate appearances. All but 12 of Jeter’s regular season hits have come since the start of the 1996 season.

Mariano Rivera has pitched in 88 post-season games, logging 133.1 post-season IP, and 39 post-season saves.

Half of the teams in baseball (15 of 30) have opened new stadiums: Atlanta, Arizona, Cincinnati, Detroit, Houston, Milwaukee, New York (2), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington DC.

The Arizona Diamondbacks didn’t begin playing until 1998, have been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 World Series.

The Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays also began play in 1998. Since they began play, they have finished last in their division 9 times and advanced to a World Series.

The Yankees have won their division 11 times (1996 – 2009).

_Sir_Charles_
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM

At least now you can drive. Ba-da-BUM! :cool:

Homer Bailey
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
What are you guys going to do come playoff time? I honestly have no idea how to watch a playoff game. Do I try to find a Reds bar in Chicago? Do I watch it at home by myself? Should I fret over every pitch, or just enjoy the fact that they're there?

I honestly have no idea how to handle postseason baseball. Completely uncharted waters for me.

George Anderson
09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
What are you guys going to do come playoff time? I honestly have no idea how to watch a playoff game. Do I try to find a Reds bar in Chicago? Do I watch it at home by myself? Should I fret over every pitch, or just enjoy the fact that they're there?

I honestly have no idea how to handle postseason baseball. Completely uncharted waters for me.

I am having to reschedule previous commitments and weekend trips etc because I fear they will interfere with Reds playoff games. When I made these plans several months ago, having a Reds playoff game interfere with my plans was something I couldn't imagine.

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm kind of torn on this too. Pretty much the last people on earth I want to watch this with are Red Sox fans. Ok, the VERY last people on earth I want to watch this with are Red Sox fans rooting for a team in the playoffs, so I've got that going for me, I guess.

westofyou
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM

In a bar??? In Chicago??

Ha... not in a million years, I'll be at watching at home, I'm not sharing this with anyone.

My wife's B-Day is 10/9 I traditionally end up missing the games around that day, looks like it will be the same this year as well.

RBA
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I was trying to luck out and see the Reds at Petco clinch. Even thou I had great seats, I prefer to watch the games in my living room. So even if the Reds play the Padres at Petco, I'm staying right at home and watching on big screen HD with dvr function.

bucksfan2
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Graduated from High School.

Graduated for College.

Bought a house.

Got married.

Got a dog.

Witnessed one National Championship (2003 OSU).

Saw 2 Bengals playoff losses.

_Sir_Charles_
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm planning on watching exactly the way I have been. Listening to Marty call the game, reading comments in the game thread, and if I'm lucky...watching the Reds kick some tail on the tv at home. This formula's worked all year long...I'm certainly not going to change it now.

Sea Ray
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
This thread shows all the youngsters that post here and it's you folks that I'm happy for. I'm concerned that the Reds poor play has lost them a generation of fans. You are to be congratulated for sticking it out.

It's not just bad luck or bad management that led to such a drought. It's mainly the economics of baseball. Baseball's system is stacked against markets like ours.

MWM
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Great piece of writing, Homer. Well done! This is one of the funnest threads we've ever had here. It could surpass the talking in 3rd person thread from a few years ago.

I was just getting off my honeymoon when the Reds last made the playoffs. Since then I've:

- Had 3 kids, the oldest of which is about to start high school

- Graduated from undergrad, worked 5 years, then went back to grad school, worked another 5 years

- Lived in Utah, Cincy, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, and Jacksonville

- Seen 12 neices and nephews born to my family

- Owned 7 different vehicles and 2 homes

-

Tommyjohn25
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Hmmm....

Graduated high school.

Got my drivers liscense.

Moved from Kentucky, to North Carolina, to Ohio, back to North Carolina, and back to Ohio.

Met the love of my life.

Put 2 dogs down, and got a new puppy.

Started Martial Arts and earned my 3rd degree black sash.

Changed careers 3 times.

Bought a house.

Saw my favorite football team win 2 superbowls.

Went from 0 nieces or nephews, to 3 nieces.

reds44
09-27-2010, 02:05 PM

I can't watch these games in public. I am going to be an absolute wreck during the games.

Strikes Out Looking
09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I've learned not take it for granted like I did when I was a kid in the '70s.

Razor Shines
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I've finished high school and college. I got married, I have a 2 year old son and my wife is about a month pregnant with our second child.

I've moved from Indianapolis to Louisville back to Indianapolis and now to Austin.

I've had two younger brothers go to and come back from Iraq and Afghanistan.

I tore the ACL in my left knee playing basketball when I was 18 and had it repaired and nearly ten years later (about a month ago) I tore the ACL in my right knee playing basketball and just had surgery to have it repaired.

I've also got a theory about the Pro sports teams that I follow. I don't think more than one of them can be good at one time for an extended period of time.

In the 90s the Pacers were good and the Reds had a couple seasons that were decent during that period and the Colts were mostly awful. In the Aughts the Colts were very good, the Pacers had a couple years in the beginning where they were good at the same time as the Colts and the Reds were awful.

Now the Reds seem to be on the rise, the Pacers are awful and this makes me think that there maybe a couple years where the Colts and the Reds are good at the same time, but then the Colts may fall off.

Roy Tucker
09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
My kids grew up.

My trees got bigger.

I stayed married.

I changed jobs three times.

My hair got gray.

I got old.

But I did manage to stay a Reds fan.

RichRed
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I've moved six times, got cancer, beat cancer, got married, found RedsZone, watched my dad fade away four days after Joe Nuxhall passed, adopted two cats, watched James Madison beat Virginia Tech (Go Dukes!), and drank a lot of beer.

And stayed a Reds fan. This season has been wonderful.

I'll be watching the playoff games in the privacy of my own home, so as not to inflict my insanity on an unsuspecting public.

Dan
09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I graduate college

Moved from Tallahassee to the Washington DC area

Bought a house

Got divorced

Sold a house

Moved 2 times

Bought a house

Moved one more time

Changed jobs 8 times.

Hoosier Red
09-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Graduated from High School(they played the Braves my senior year at Moeller)
Graduated from College
Graduated from my MBA program

Have been hired seven different times for jobs, trying to find my eighth.

Seen all three of my brothers get married.
Met my wife, dated someone else first(that didn't work out.)
Luckily my wife forgave me after a Christmas present of Scattergories. We married the year all the rebuilding was building for, 2003.

Been blessed with 9 nieces and nephews, plus two from our friends who we consider to be our nieces and nephews.

Seen my college alma mater fire one legendary basketball coach, hire three coaches, hope this one sticks.
Seen my alma mater fire one good coach replace him with four others, one of whom tragically succumbed to cancer ... hope the current replacement knows something we don't.

MrCinatit
09-27-2010, 07:41 PM
The 100MB Jazz Drive was the big mass-storage media.
Hey, Heather, that tweet and FaceBook thing you just did? Couldn't have done them the last time the Reds were in the playoffs. Also could not Google "Reds".
I counted 23 players active in 1995 that are still active (this does not count Junior, nor Pedro or a few others who are not officially retired, but have not played in the bigs this year. I also could have missed a few). I did count at least two players who later became managers in Guillen and Girardi.
Joe Torre was manager of the Cardinals in 1995. For a while.
The Oscar went to Braveheart, Nick Cage, Sarandon, Kevin Spacey and Mira Sorvino.
Ken Burns' Baseball was named best documentary.
Gangsta's Paradise was the number one seller of that year.

edabbs44
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Let's see...

Graduated college
Ran the table in a fantasy football league
Accepted a job on the 101st floor of the WTC in October 2000, then accepted the counter
Got married
Won multiple fantasy baseball leagues
Was a best man at a wedding
Became a godfather
Found Redszone
Bought a house
Got a weiner dog
Had twin girls
Had a son

BuckeyeRedleg
09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Graduated from High School.

Graduated for College.

Bought a house.

Got married.

Got a dog.

Witnessed one National Championship (2003 OSU).

Saw 2 Bengals playoff losses.

Similar...

Graduated from Ohio State.

Met my future wife.

Got a dog.

Got married.

Had child #1.

Bought a house.

Witnessed a Buckeye National Championship.

Had child #2.

Had child #3.

Had child #4.

Saw 2 Bengals playoff losses

Put the dog to sleep.

The Voice of IH
09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not in Diapers anymore....I'm in college! :)

oregonred
09-28-2010, 01:40 AM
saw the Reds last postseason victory in person in '95

Graduate school

Moved across the country and back (twice)

Met my wife

Inherited a dog from wife, put dog down 12 years later

2 kids

lived in three time zones

traveled to Japan, China, Russia, etc.

the Bengals won two divisions since (how sad is that)

Saw KGJ's 600th HR

rarely enjoyed postseason baseball without the good guys playing

Wow, '95 was a long time ago...

WVRedsFan
09-28-2010, 02:53 AM

I honestly have no idea how to handle postseason baseball. Completely uncharted waters for me.I can remember listening (yes, listening) to Waite Hoyt and his color man -- maybe Gene Kelly -- with my dad in the 1961 World Series (no playoffs then). Then came the 70's and watching on TV, once again with my Dad. During the 75-76 run, yep, it was with my father. I was lost in 1990 since my father had died, so I spent time with friends in front of the TV until too late and too drunk to get home, but it was a glorious time. The playoff runs in the 90's were at once frustrating and yet strangely satisfying because we competed. This time with my son, who was beginning baseball. Then came 1999. It came down to the final game and the Dodgers had to win for us to make the playoffs. I didn't know it was the last time I would experience that fotr 11 years. I was on assignment at Martinsville Speedway and ESPN radio was talking about how Davey Johnson wasn't going to play his starters so it would force a playoff with the Mets. He hateed Marge Schott so much. I have always had a problem with Johnson since then.

You know what happened, the Dodgers blew the game, we were in a one game playoff with the Mets and Al Leiter pitched over his head and our dreams were dashed, while I once again watched on TV. With the trade for Griffey the new century looked promising, but it never panned out due to indifferent ownership and poor management.

Having not even got a response from the lottery, I imagine I'll sit at home with my now 23 year old son and watch the games. If we get there. In the back of my mind as I have watched the Reds lose nearly twice as many as they have won, I have to wonder if 1999 will repeat itself. Yes, the magic number is one, but we have depended this whole month on St. Louis losing. Watching the incompetent Pirates blow the game tonight (it reminded me of the 2001-2008 Reds), I don't see any losses for the Cardinals against the Pirates and wonder if I'm living 1999 again. If we can muster a win in the series against our opponents, it will erase so many years of frustration, all in front of the TV and not in Cincinnati where I wanted to be. Maybe it's my fate, but maybe it will be 1990 again, where against all odds, we won a championship. Surely things will work out this time. At least for awhile.

The Operator
09-28-2010, 03:01 AM
I was on assignment at Martinsville Speedway and ESPN radio was talking about how Davey Johnson wasn't going to play his starters so it would force a playoff with the Mets. He hateed Marge Schott so much. I have always had a problem with Johnson since then. Did that really happen?

What a classless, petty, cowardly thing to do, if those really were his motives.

KronoRed
09-28-2010, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't blame Johnson for 99, the Reds choked it away in Milwaukee, a team that finished 22 games back, just fine on their own.

The Operator
09-28-2010, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't blame Johnson for 99, the Reds choked it away in Milwaukee, a team that finished 22 games back, just fine on their own.Well, yeah. But that's still a pretty crappy thing for someone to do.

edabbs44
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

I think it depends on the time of day for me. Day game and I might be taking a very long lunch. Night game and the girls might be going to bed very early. I agree with WOY, I would savor this as much as possible especially since you'll be in a Chicago bar. The last thing you want is to start getting heckled by Cub fans if they are losing.

vaticanplum
09-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it depends on the time of day for me. Day game and I might be taking a very long lunch. Night game and the girls might be going to bed very early. I agree with WOY, I would savor this as much as possible especially since you'll be in a Chicago bar. The last thing you want is to start getting heckled by Cub fans if they are losing.

Go to the South Side and find a White Sox bar. They'll be more understanding and probably more fun.

Also, just realized I've lived in 11 cities and five time zones since the last time the Reds were in the playoffs. That kind of makes me want to kill myself.