PDA

View Full Version : So if the Cardinals lose tonight...what happens?

redsfan30
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
As far as the champagne celebration? Honestly as a fan, I would feel slightly cheated out of a chance to see the team I live and die with have a clubhouse champagne celebration. I've looked forward to that for a decade now.

So tonight, does the team get together at the ballpark to watch the Cardinals game and if they lose celebrate away? Do they watch from thier livingrooms and just bypass the champagne and play the game tomorrow?

If they do watch at the park and have the celebration, will FSN Ohio be there to break in live?

It would just seem kind of anticlimactic to win the division tonight on a Cardinals loss.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.

HeatherC1212
09-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Fay has some insight about that: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/26/no-celebration-tomorrow/

Quote:

The team considered having some sort of gathering but decided against it.

“It’s the time of year to rest,” Baker said. “Guys have stuff to do. They have family stuff, plus you’ve seen these guys 156 games already, you need some personal time, some family time. Probably some guys will prepare to move out of their places. Some guys only have leases until October 1. There’s a lot to do.”

George Anderson
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
In 90' the Reds were in a rain delay when they clinched the division.

But they made up for it by winning the NLCS at home.

One down side to the 75' 76' and 90' series is the Reds won the final game in all 3 series on the road. There hasn't been a onfield celebration for a WS in Cincy since 1940.

Edskin
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
First of all, GO Cards tonight...I really hope they win...

Secondly, I think the "solution" would be simple...if the Cards lose tonight, then we pop the champagne in the locker room after the game tomorrow regardless of what the Reds do.

ochre
09-27-2010, 11:17 AM
One down side to the 75' 76' and 90' series is the Reds won the final game in all 3 series on the road. There hasn't been a onfield celebration for a WS in Cincy since 1940.
I know you meant for the Reds, but there were probably onfield celebrations in 1961 and 1972 (at crosley and riverfront)... :)

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I just want them to clinch. I couldn't care less where and when it happens. Things happen as they should, everyone will celebrate in good time.

Food for thought, though: the Pirates have won 15 games on the road. Fifteen. All season. Total.

Sea Ray
09-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Secondly, I think the "solution" would be simple...if the Cards lose tonight, then we pop the champagne in the locker room after the game tomorrow regardless of what the Reds do.

I think you're right on. If the Cards lose today then the celebration will have wait until after Tuesday's game

bucksfan2
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I think you're right on. If the Cards lose today then the celebration will have wait until after Tuesday's game

If the Cards lose to night I fully expect to see an infield tomorrow of Yonder, Valakia, Janish, and Francisco.

top6
09-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm not trying to single you out, because I have been hearing people say stuff like this all day. But this is absurd to me. The Reds need to clinch ASAP. I for one will be rooting like crazy for the Cards to lose.

First, we shouldn't take anything for granted. I just wonder how people would feel on Thursday if the Cards win, then win the next 2 games, and the Reds lose the next 2 games. That's not exactly an absurd series of events.

Second (and probably more importantly), the sooner they clinch the sooner they can start resting guys and resetting the rotation.

In any event, if you had told at the beginning of the year that the thing I would be most upset about going into the last week of the season was that there was a chance the Reds would clinch on an off day, well, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

westofyou
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I could care less how it's celebrated and certainly won't wish for a Cardinal win.

Get it over, it's the 1st step that's all, save the celebration for later.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
The Cardinals will do whatever they do; the important thing is what the Reds do.

Unassisted
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
save the celebration for later.
That's what I was going to say. Celebrate a playoff series win or a pennant win. Some people seem ready to schedule a parade over clinching.

RBA
09-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Be like the Lakers, don't celebrate until you win it all. ;)

smith288
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Be like the Lakers, don't celebrate until you win it all. ;)
Im clinching over the wait to clinch.... TMI?

The Operator
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd love to see them celebrate at home, on the field for the division.

But, I'd much rather see them celebrate an 11-0 postseason record on the field at The Trop. Although, celebrating an 11-2 postseason record at home, in Game 6 would also be just fine. :cool:

medford
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not trying to single you out, because I have been hearing people say stuff like this all day. But this is absurd to me. The Reds need to clinch ASAP. I for one will be rooting like crazy for the Cards to lose.

First, we shouldn't take anything for granted. I just wonder how people would feel on Thursday if the Cards win, then win the next 2 games, and the Reds lose the next 2 games. That's not exactly an absurd series of events.

Second (and probably more importantly), the sooner they clinch the sooner they can start resting guys and resetting the rotation.

In any event, if you had told at the beginning of the year that the thing I would be most upset about going into the last week of the season was that there was a chance the Reds would clinch on an off day, well, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

+1. I've had this feeling for over a week now, that tonight is the day they'd clinch, while the cards lost and the Reds were off.

1st, there are no garuntees the Cards lose tonight, so getting the team together could be counter productive. they've been on the road a lot recently, let them take care of things at home, get some rest, get to the grocery, and all of the other things that we do in everyday life.

2nd, I'd be concerned if this team's priority right now was making sure it had a champaign celebration just for making the playoffs. Pop the bubbly when you win the W-S, otherwise its just an excuse to drink (not that there's anything wrong with that)

the earlier they clinch, the more rest you can get a guy like Scott Rolen or Brandon Phillips, the easier it is to setup your rotation so guys are going on normal rest for the playoffs. The easier it becomes to get Aaron Harang a swan song (is he officially done for the year?) in front of the home crowd, or allow a Mike Leake (is he officially done as well) and Aroldis chapman to pick up multiple innings with little pressure.

If they want to start Valiaka, Cairo, Janish & Yonder across the infield, w/ Edmunds, Heisey & Franscisco in the outfield tomorrow so they can have a champaigne toast after batting practice tomorrow to feel like they've celebrated the division properrly, so be it. I'd just prefer they have things wrapped up as quickly as possible.

redsfan30
09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
2nd, I'd be concerned if this team's priority right now was making sure it had a champaign celebration just for making the playoffs.

Without singling you out, medford, this viewpoint just seems a bit uptight for the situation. It's just what's done in baseball. Teams clinch the playoffs, they celebrate. We're not talking about the Reds being the only team ever to do this. It's a long, long grind of a season and making the playoffs is quite an accomplishment and is something to celebrate. It's great for the fans as well.

If the Reds were breaking new ground with the champagne celebration, I could see this viewpoint, but they're not. In recent history, there are probably only a handfull of teams who have not celebrated clinching a playoff spot.

Enjoy the moment and have fun with it. Then go back to work the next day.

cincrazy
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Without singling you out, medford, this viewpoint just seems a bit uptight for the situation. It's just what's done in baseball. Teams clinch the playoffs, they celebrate. We're not talking about the Reds being the only team ever to do this. It's a long, long grind of a season and making the playoffs is quite an accomplishment and is something to celebrate. It's great for the fans as well.

If the Reds were breaking new ground with the champagne celebration, I could see this viewpoint, but they're not. In recent history, there are probably only a handfull of teams who have not celebrated clinching a playoff spot.

I agree with you, I want to see this team clinch at home. I think Cincy baseball fans deserve that, after all of these years enduring suckitude. I have tickets to tomorrow night's game, and I'm actively rooting for the Cardinals to destroy the Pirates tonight so that I can see us clinch in person this week.

Am I going to be upset if the Reds clinch tonight? Of course not, I'll still be ecstatic. But I think it's a bit much to pretend like wishing for a Cards win tonight could lead to danger. This division is OVER. Period. End of discussion.

Red in Chicago
09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I just want them to clinch. I couldn't care less where and when it happens. Things happen as they should, everyone will celebrate in good time.

Food for thought, though: the Pirates have won 15 games on the road. Fifteen. All season. Total.

BINGO:thumbup:

medford
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM

I don't care if they clinch tomorrow night and break out the bubbly. I don't care if Jay Bruce and Joey Votto are out in Mount Adams tonight enjoying a few pops and catching the game and the team clinches and they pronounce "this rounds on us, go Reds". My point was that if they got together tonight as a semi-offical team gathering w/ the main point being that they could celebrate tonight, it would just feel forced from an outsiders view.

Doing everything in their power to prepare to make a deep run starting next week should be top priority, not uncorking champaign to mark the occasion. If it works out that way, that they hit a walk off homer tomorrow night and bring out one of those huge magnums of Cristal to pour over the head of joey Votto as he touches home base, great. But the act of celebrating the clinching should not take precidence over the clinching itself or the preperation for the postseason. The earlier they clinch, the better. There are no garuntees that the Reds clinch tomorrow night at home, there are no garuntees it happens on Wednesday, or thursday. The earilier it happens, wether the Reds are playing or not, the better.

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Last night I whined just slightly about the possibility of the Reds losing on an off day to a Pirates fan. Let's just say I was put in my place. Don't take anything for granted here, guys, and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. A division title is a division title and others are right, the sooner it's locked up, the better it bodes for the playoffs. We need a playoff berth, not an embarrassment of riches. And a clinched homecoming would be quite a joy in its own right.

Roy Tucker
09-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I was driving my daughter back to college yesterday and listening to the Reds game.

When the Cards were in the process of trying to blow an 8-zip lead and the Reds were starting to pull away from the Padres, I was thinking "crap, here I am outside of Chillicothe on US 35 and the Reds are going to win it". But then I thought "I don't care where I am, just clinch it, baby". If they had clinched, I was going to lay on my horn and then hope nobody around me got too mad.

One of the things I like about baseball and beong a Reds fan is that it is a constant companion from April to November and sometimes it's listening or seeing games in the unlikeliest of places or times that makes it all the more memorable.

sivman17
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
As some others have mentioned, I just want them to clinch. I don't care if it's tonight or not. Frankly, the Pirates have won all of 15 games on the road this year so I highly doubt they will even win tonight.

As far as the celebration, I doubt guys like Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo, and Edmonds will want to pop the champagne quite yet. They have all been there before and would rather celebrate in October. I don't see Votto wanting to partake in champagne celebration either.

Either way, I just want them to clinch so I can officially call the Reds NL Central Champs!

GOYA
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I have to admit, it crossed my mind that the Cards might throw tonight's game to stick it to the Reds by preventing an on-field/clubhouse clinching celebration. But then, I don't think the Cards are that low. Are they?

mbgrayson
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I won't mind if the Cards beat the Pirates and the Reds clinch at home. Still, I won't actively root for the Cardinals, the little dogs, now or ever.

The Pirates record of 15-59 on the road is historically bad. Wow, that is a winning percentage of only .202, or only 20% of their games....ouch.

Sea Ray
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I have to admit, it crossed my mind that the Cards might throw tonight's game to stick it to the Reds by preventing an on-field/clubhouse clinching celebration. But then, I don't think the Cards are that low. Are they?

The Cards have kinda been throwing it for over a month now. What I can't figure out is, why?

bucksfan
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
One of the things I like about baseball and beong a Reds fan is that it is a constant companion from April to November and sometimes it's listening or seeing games in the unlikeliest of places or times that makes it all the more memorable.

Well-stated!
And I just want them to clinch - asap - by whatever legal means it can be accomplished.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM

No TLR team is going to do this, whatever else people might think of him.

Sea Ray
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Lots of paranoid folks around here. I honestly get the vibe that some of you still think it's possible for the Reds to blow this thing. Relax and enjoy this week. Next week everyone's 0-0 and we lose our big lead. This is our week to kick back and toast a pennant winning season

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
The Cards have kinda been throwing it for over a month now. What I can't figure out is, why?

I don't think they've been throwing anything at all. What's happened is that their tgp of rotation guys have been mediocre and it's starting to show what happens when you invest too much money in a few players and in mediocrities like Lohse.

westofyou
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Most definitively.

I can remember being in a tree with a transistor radio when Bert Campaneress threw his bat at the pitcher in the 72 playoffs, cutting the grass when Hank Aaron hit his 1st HR as a Brewer, weeding the garden when Ryan no-hit the Tigers, tearing down a fence when Pete Rose git a hit in his 44th game, driving to Tahoe when Joe Crater smashed the ball off of Mitch Williams, I got a million of them and hopefully tonight I'll have another when the Reds break a drought that spans a huge chunk of my adult life.

Edskin
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Life is too short to NOT celebrate when the occasion calls for it. I won't be upset if the Cards lose tonight by any means, but yes, I'd prefer they win so that the Reds can have a rightful celebration tomorrow. I am no longer worried one bit about choking this thing away.

westofyou
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Life is too short to NOT celebrate when the occasion calls for it.

Is it really?

http://www.photojoe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/img-1471.jpg

pedro
09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Most definitively.

I can remember being in a tree with a transistor radio when Bert Campaneress threw his bat at the pitcher in the 72 playoffs, cutting the grass when Hank Aaron hit his 1st HR as a Brewer, weeding the garden when Ryan no-hit the Tigers, tearing down a fence when Pete Rose git a hit in his 44th game, driving to Tahoe when Joe Crater smashed the ball off of Mitch Williams, I got a million of them and hopefully tonight I'll have another when the Reds break a drought that spans a huge chunk of my adult life.

I was busing tables at the National Exemplar in Mariemont when Gibson hit his walk off HR in the WS.

westofyou
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
I was busing tables at the National Exemplar in Mariemont when Gibson hit his walk off HR in the WS.

I was sitting in the TV room at UCSC with a bunch of A's and Dodger fans... It was beautiful

blumj
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Pretty sure they'll all be doing enough scoreboard watching to wind up in the same place at the same time some way or another if turns out that way.

macro
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
If I recall correctly, the 1979 Reds left the stadium on the last Friday night of the regular season (after beating the Braves) having clinched a tie. Later that night in LA, the Dodgers beat the Astros the give the Reds the division title. So I assume that there was no clubhouse celebration that year, but I don't know.

I was at the game the next day (Saturday) and was a bit disappointed not to see an on-field celebration, but on the other hand, that was a very tight race and I was happy to see them clinch it whenever and however they could.

Far East
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Life is too short to NOT celebrate when the occasion calls for it...

Part of me agrees, but another part of me doesn't care about celebrations or anything apart from the playing of the game.

Hardly pay any attention to things like salaries, contracts, arbitration, attendance, celebrations, etc..

Certainly not a big fan of end-of-game celebrations, fist- raising, "sky praising," Phillips' chest-pounding, or even football TD celebrations. This is just me, but, personally, I just want to watch the game.

On a related issue, perhaps the thousands of the youngest Reds' fans should see that not all celebrations need to revolve around alcohol -- or, at least, a champagne celebration by the Reds could just as easily remain private as go public.

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Reds director of promotional events Zach Bonkowski said fireworks will be set off tonight at Great American Ball Park if the Reds clinch the National League Central division title via a Cardinals loss.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100927/SPT04/309230072/Fireworks-tonight-if-Reds-clinch

The article also says the Reds will hang a 10-by-22-foot banner when the Reds clinch.

Hoosier Red
09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
As some others have mentioned, I just want them to clinch. I don't care if it's tonight or not. Frankly, the Pirates have won all of 15 games on the road this year so I highly doubt they will even win tonight.

As far as the celebration, I doubt guys like Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo, and Edmonds will want to pop the champagne quite yet. They have all been there before and would rather celebrate in October. I don't see Votto wanting to partake in champagne celebration either.

Either way, I just want them to clinch so I can officially call the Reds NL Central Champs!

The Twins have been there many many times, and are criticized to a point for not taking the next step, but they have a champagne celebration televised when they clinch the division.

That doesn't make it right or wrong, but it just is a certain fact that teams celebrate when they win a division so I'm guessing Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo and Edmonds will be among the first to the champagne tub to get their bottle.

I think it was the Red Sox in 2004 who started the tradition which I wished had continued which was celebrate the division and championship series with beer and the world series with champagne.

I do think it's funny that in other sports winning the division doesn't get this big of a celebration. Of course in other sports, winning the division isn't a big deal. You enter the playoffs and are one of anywhere from 40 to 53% of the top teams in the new tournament. In baseball you either win a division, or you beat of 13(11 in the junior circuit) other non division winners for the final spot in the playoffs.

Cedric
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
The Twins have been there many many times, and are criticized to a point for not taking the next step, but they have a champagne celebration televised when they clinch the division.

That doesn't make it right or wrong, but it just is a certain fact that teams celebrate when they win a division so I'm guessing Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo and Edmonds will be among the first to the champagne tub to get their bottle.

I think it was the Red Sox in 2004 who started the tradition which I wished had continued which was celebrate the division and championship series with beer and the world series with champagne.

I do think it's funny that in other sports winning the division doesn't get this big of a celebration. Of course in other sports, winning the division isn't a big deal. You enter the playoffs and are one of anywhere from 40 to 53% of the top teams in the new tournament. In baseball you either win a division, or you beat of 13(11 in the junior circuit) other non division winners for the final spot in the playoffs.

That is exactly right. Baseball is just different than the rest of the major American sports. Winning a division is a huge accomplishment and should be celebrated just like that, IMO.

It's going to be fun watching the Reds clinch and celebrate. Nothing in the playoffs can take away the greatness from winning the NL Central.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
That is exactly right. Baseball is just different than the rest of the major American sports. Winning a division is a huge accomplishment and should be celebrated just like that, IMO.

It's going to be fun watching the Reds clinch and celebrate. Nothing in the playoffs can take away the greatness from winning the NL Central.

Agree. Once you've done it, they can't take it away. It would obviously be fantastic to go on and win the Series, but if they get beat in the first three games of the first series, winning the division over the long grind of 162 is well worth celebrating in its own right.

cincrazy
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Most definitively.

I love this post. It's so accurate and true.

I remember my freshman year of college at OSU was the 2003 playoffs. I sat with Cubs fans and watched the Bartman game and the ensuing Game 7 collapse, and was surrounded by Yankees AND Red Sox fans during Boone's epic at bat in the ALCS, and saw the tears flowing on both sides.

vaticanplum
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Cards are down early...I don't see how any Reds fan can honestly root for them to pull ahead. That's just bad sports karma.

sivman17
09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't see how any Reds fan can honestly root for them to pull ahead.

I tend to agree. I feel like we are being greedy if we've been rooting against STL all year long then all of a sudden we're rooting for them to win? What if the Reds lose tomorrow night and then the Cards lose after the Reds game? There wouldn't be any post-game celebration tomorrow night.

I just want STL to lose so we can be the champs. It's exciting to root for the Pirates over the Cards.

Brutus
09-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I tend to agree. I feel like we are being greedy if we've been rooting against STL all year long then all of a sudden we're rooting for them to win? What if the Reds lose tomorrow night and then the Cards lose after the Reds game? There wouldn't be any post-game celebration tomorrow night.

I just want STL to lose so we can be the champs. It's exciting to root for the Pirates over the Cards.

I don't think it's being greedy. The Reds are something like 8-14 this month. They've done very little to get the division wrapped up. I absolutely think it's natural to want to see the clinching game come because of a Reds' win, not a Cards' loss, on an off-day no less. Just a bitter taste to do it that way.

No one is going to be unhappy about it, but certainly won't feel as satisfying in a closure sort of way as it would the other way.

WMR
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
YouTube - Southland Tales - official trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtp14ikRvxo)

37red
09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Edskin, I've been on Redzone as long as you have, why, I ask myself, am I more uncomfortable about when the corks should hit the ceiling than you are? I mean, really?, tomorrow if Cards win or lose tonight? I've still got the jitters even though I bought a new hat (jinx). Really, the Cards just keep holding us off and we can't put the cork in. "99" haunts me.

WebScorpion
09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
We keep the champagne on ice until we win tomorrow night! :thumbup::beerme:

WVRedsFan
09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Um...the lead is getting smaller. I don't expect the Cards to lose against the Pirates at home, so we must win. I hope we're not getting teased. God, don't let that happen.

membengal
09-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Um...the lead is getting smaller. I don't expect the Cards to lose against the Pirates at home, so we must win. I hope we're not getting teased. God, don't let that happen.

You're kidding, right?

The biggest lead the Reds built at any point was 8 games. They are still up six several weeks later. With 6 to play.

If they lose a 6 game lead with 6 to play, it would be completely unprecedented in the annals of anything baseball related. Even if you think the Reds will somehow lose their last six, it sure seems unlikely that St. Louis will win their last six.

I think it's okay to relax and enjoy things.

And, if the collapse you seem to fear happens, rest assured the Reds won't have deserved to be in the post-season anyway.

cincrazy
09-28-2010, 07:25 AM
You're kidding, right?

The biggest lead the Reds built at any point was 8 games. They are still up six several weeks later. With 6 to play.

If they lose a 6 game lead with 6 to play, it would be completely unprecedented in the annals of anything baseball related. Even if you think the Reds will somehow lose their last six, it sure seems unlikely that St. Louis will win their last six.

I think it's okay to relax and enjoy things.

And, if the collapse you seem to fear happens, rest assured the Reds won't have deserved to be in the post-season anyway.

No fears! If we lose our last six, we'll just take the one-game playoff :).

MattyHo4Life
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM

The Pirates are Cards killers. The Cards can beat above .500 teams, but not the below .500 teams.

Roy Tucker
09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
The Pirates are Cards killers. The Cards can beat above .500 teams, but not the below .500 teams.

Indeed.

That is their epitaph for the 2010 season, "we could beat the snot out of the Reds, but nobody else".

MattyHo4Life
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Indeed.

That is their epitaph for the 2010 season, "we could beat the snot out of the Reds, but nobody else".

Right, The Cards have a horrible record in the NL Central. It seems like the Reds were the only team in the division they could beat.

Reds Freak
09-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Edskin, I've been on Redzone as long as you have, why, I ask myself, am I more uncomfortable about when the corks should hit the ceiling than you are? I mean, really?, tomorrow if Cards win or lose tonight? I've still got the jitters even though I bought a new hat (jinx). Really, the Cards just keep holding us off and we can't put the cork in. "99" haunts me.

Everyone keeps bringing up the 99 team. I remember the 99 team. I remember they weren't up six games with six games to play. On September 28, 1999 the Reds were up one game with five to play at Houston and at Milwaukee. A little different than this situation.

Think about it like this. There are 12 games left between the Reds/Cardinals. One (1!) of them has to go the Reds way for the Reds to make the playoffs. 1!

Roy Tucker
09-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Yep, 1999 was dogfight to the end.

With 2010, the Reds crested the hill a couple weeks ago, turned off the ignition, and are coasting into the garage. Hope we don't have to get out and push.

vaticanplum
09-28-2010, 09:13 AM
The Pirates are Cards killers.

Not in St. Louis. They're 0 and 4 there all year, lining up with their stunning 15-win road record. The Pirates are only lucky they've mostly played St. Louis at home.

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
From Brian Giesenschlag:

Rolen is old school. Is discouraging people from wearing goggles in clubhouse because he says you'll want to remember "the burn".

Phillips doesn't drink but is making an exception tonight. Told me he wants to "get his drink on" for the first time and "tear this place up a little".

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian

vaticanplum
09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
From Brian Giesenschlag:

Rolen is old school. Is discouraging people from wearing goggles in clubhouse because he says you'll want to remember "the burn".

Phillips doesn't drink but is making an exception tonight. Told me he wants to "get his drink on" for the first time and "tear this place up a little".

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian

If Scott Rolen ends up on the DL due to a cornea injury, I'm turning my attention to the Minnesota Twins.

Also, everybody, two things need to happen tonight in order to celebrate and NEITHER HAS HAPPENED YET. /pessimism I use to protect myself

_Sir_Charles_
09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
2 things? Win is the only thing I think we need to do. Am I missing something?

vaticanplum
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
2 things? Win is the only thing I think we need to do. Am I missing something?

No, you're not. I've worked myself up into such a state that I'm convinced the Reds are going to lose and we'll have to wait until the end of the Cards game to know anything. Just put me on ignore, everybody.

GAC
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't care if the Reds, if they happen to clinch tonight, celebrate or not. This lifelong Reds fan will be because we made it over one hurdle - a division championship.

Just give me reason Reds to celebrate some more in the immediate future, and win every game you can this week to have the 2nd best record and home field advantage in the first round because I got tickets to game #2 at GABP!

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Bronson says party at Mynt downtown if reds win or cardinals lose. Pass it along.

http://twitter.com/MikeLeake44

Just in from Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo: Tweet.if we win or cards lose.whole team partyin at Mynt in downtown.

http://twitter.com/The26thMan

BCubb2003
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
According to Sheldon, LaRussa says Wainwright will start if there's a one-game playoff. (He might have been joking, though.)

Captain Hook
09-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Hopefully it will mean nothing at all if the Cards win tonight?:D

MattyHo4Life
09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
According to Sheldon, LaRussa says Wainwright will start if there's a one-game playoff. (He might have been joking, though.)

LaRussa said that if the Cards win 5 in a row and the Reds win 5 in a row, then Wainwright will pitch on Sunday. He didn't look like he was joking, but he never does.

WMR
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
B. Phil gonna get his R. Freel on.

Sea Ray
09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Bronson says party at Mynt downtown if reds win or cardinals lose. Pass it along.

http://twitter.com/MikeLeake44

Just in from Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo: Tweet.if we win or cards lose.whole team partyin at Mynt in downtown.

http://twitter.com/The26thMan

Just curious, what does Mynt stand for and did anyone go?