PDA

View Full Version : To-Do List for the Homestand

I(heart)Freel
09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
1. Clinch the Central. Don't rely on Pirates to beat Cards. Win one and make it official. Cue the Queen song.

2. Rest the walking wounded or mentally drained in the starting eight.

3. Win win win. Six games against lesser divisional opponents. Are 4 wins realistic?

4. Set your playoff rotation. Arroyo/Cueto/Volquez/Wood?

Everyone agreed on that?

If so... I ask this: do items #2 and #3 contradict each other? Should the team rest or go all out to rack up wins in an effort to secure home field?

I also ask this: when do you rearrange the roto to fit the first round matchups? Let's say Game One is Oct. 7. To stay on normal rest, Arroyo should pitch Saturday. He's scheduled to pitch right now on Thursday. Do you pitch him Thursday and then let him sit til Game One?

With LeCure and Harang sitting in the bullpen, the team should easily be able to throw a fill-in starter to set up the roto nicely. But when?

Griffey012
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
1. Clinch the Central. Don't rely on Pirates to beat Cards. Win one and make it official. Cue the Queen song.

2. Rest the walking wounded or mentally drained in the starting eight.

3. Win win win. Six games against lesser divisional opponents. Are 4 wins realistic?

4. Set your playoff rotation. Arroyo/Cueto/Volquez/Wood?

Everyone agreed on that?

If so... I ask this: do items #2 and #3 contradict each other? Should the team rest or go all out to rack up wins in an effort to secure home field?

I also ask this: when do you rearrange the roto to fit the first round matchups? Let's say Game One is Oct. 7. To stay on normal rest, Arroyo should pitch Saturday. He's scheduled to pitch right now on Thursday. Do you pitch him Thursday and then let him sit til Game One?

With LeCure and Harang sitting in the bullpen, the team should easily be able to throw a fill-in starter to set up the roto nicely. But when?

#2 and #3 do not contradict themselves, basically it just says if you are healthy you are going to stay fresh and keep playing, as I feel they should. And if guys like Francisco, Janish, and others are getting PT, it is no time to relax.

If Arroyo is going to be our number one in the playoffs, I do not want him pitching on anything more than normal rest. Extra rest for Bronson is a terrible, terrible idea with the type of pitcher he is. I would say push his start thursday back to Friday so he is ready to go on 4 or 5 days rest depending on weather our first game is on the 6th or 7th.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure how Homer gets left out of the rotation after yesterday's game.

PuffyPig
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Not sure how Homer gets left out of the rotation after yesterday's game.

Well zero chance Cueto or Volquez aren't part of the rotation, as they are likely our best two starters capable of pitching lights out against big lineups.

Arroyo is our top winner and least likley to be affected by pressure.

Wood is our only lefty, and likely the key against the Phillies.

Nothng against Bailey, but.....

RED VAN HOT
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
To avoid Philly in the first round, either the Braves must play poorly enough to allow the wild card to come from the west, or the Reds must finish with a record one game better than SF or SD, whichever one wins the division. The Reds have no control over the first. Considering that SF and SD own the tie breaker with the Reds, have home must-win series against lesser opponents, and conclude by playing each other, it seems unlikely that the Reds will end up with a better record than the winner.

Thus, it seems wise to me to opt for rest. Rolen and Cabrera should have several off days. Rolen in particular looks tired to me. I think Phillips could use some time off as well. As for the rotation, I would plan on playing Philly.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Well zero chance Cueto or Volquez aren't part of the rotation, as they are likely our best two starters capable of pitching lights out against big lineups.

Arroyo is our top winner and least likley to be affected by pressure.

Wood is our only lefty, and likely the key against the Phillies.

Nothng against Bailey, but.....

Disagree with your first statement. Homer is the closest thing we have to a pitcher capable of beating good teams, as he just showed, in comparison to Wood and Arroyo, yesterday.

TRF
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Disagree with your first statement. Homer is the closest thing we have to a pitcher capable of beating good teams, as he just showed, in comparison to Wood and Arroyo, yesterday.

No. He really isn't. He has won 1 game since coming off the DL against a team over .500. He's been good at beating up on bad teams. Volquez has better stuff and has been FAR better his last three outings. Neither guy has pitched much this year, but Edinson has been better than Homer.

lollipopcurve
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't commit to Cueto just yet. He got shelled in his last outing, and if it happens again I don't think you throw him out there ahead of guys who are throwing better.

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 06:39 PM
No. He really isn't. He has won 1 game since coming off the DL against a team over .500. He's been good at beating up on bad teams. Volquez has better stuff and has been FAR better his last three outings. Neither guy has pitched much this year, but Edinson has been better than Homer.

Not really true against above .500 teams. On the year, Homer's got a 4.93 against same in 31 innings, Volquez a 5.40 in 11.2. Neither's covered himself with glory. In addition, the question wasn't about Volquez in the first place. My playoff rotation would be Cueto, Homer, Volquez. Go with the best stuff.

TRF
09-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Not really true against above .500 teams. On the year, Homer's got a 4.93 against same in 31 innings, Volquez a 5.40 in 11.2. Neither's covered himself with glory. In addition, the question wasn't about Volquez in the first place. My playoff rotation would be Cueto, Homer, Volquez. Go with the best stuff.

What question? you stated:
Homer is the closest thing we have to a pitcher capable of beating good teams, as he just showed, in comparison to Wood and Arroyo, yesterday.

That just isn't true. Arroyo has been a stopper all season. Best stuff doesn't always equal best chance. Cueto is just a better pitcher than Homer, period. And you can throw out Volquez stats prior to being optioned, the good and the bad. His delivery was altered and and has increased his effectiveness minus that little blip he suffered.

As for Wood and Arroyo, 7 IP 3 ER 5 K's in Wood's last start. 5 IP 2 ER 3 K's for Arroyo. Yeah, not great, but he's pitched 208 innings this year, 16 times it was 7+ inning efforts. No way he isn't in the rotation.

Crosley68
09-28-2010, 10:56 AM
My guess is the Phillies choose the no extra off day schedule and will leave us (if we dont play them) only needing 3 starters for the NLDS.

If that is the case then I go with Volquez, Arroyo, Wood.....but what do I know ;-)