PDA

View Full Version : Pujols would accept trade

Brutus
09-27-2010, 09:07 PM
to Dodgers, Angels, Astros & Marlins, at least according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/09/odds-ends-ozzie.html

I could see this coming up if the Cardinals can't get him to agree to an extension by next June.

Joseph
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
That would be awesome.....unless its to the Astros.

Reds4Life
09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Suprised a NY team isn't on the list.

There is no chance the Marlins would sink that kind of money into one player. The market for Albert is going to be limited, not many teams can afford the kind of coin he's going to get paid.

Razor Shines
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd love to see him go to the Angels.

cincrazy
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
No way the Cards trade him to Houston, and no way the Marlins can pony up the money to keep him. The Dodgers, with the McCourt situation, have no chance of affording him unless a quick sale of the team happens. The Angels, IMO, are the only logical possibility on that list, and it wouldn't shock me to see Arte Moreno try and make it happen. But I highly doubt the Angels have the prospects to entice the Cards to pull the trigger. Making that trade would be franchise suicide with the fanbase.

Brutus
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Suprised a NY team isn't on the list.

There is no chance the Marlins would sink that kind of money into one player. The market for Albert is going to be limited, not many teams can afford the kind of coin he's going to get paid.

Believe it or not, with a new ballpark coming for 2012, I actually think the Marlins WOULD do that.

Hanley for Pujols perhaps?

Remember the Marlins right now are in an expensive lease where they keep virtually no concessions/parking revenue. Starting in 2012, they have a new stadium to boost attendance, they have a much improved lease payment and get to keep all concessions and parking. They'll be increasing payroll by that time.

Oxilon
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
to Dodgers, Angels, Astros & Marlins, at least according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/09/odds-ends-ozzie.html

I could see this coming up if the Cardinals can't get him to agree to an extension by next June.

Los Angeles, Houston, and Miami? Seems Pujols has his eyes set on the Latino community. Nice change I suppose, compared to the usual NY Mets, Yanks, or Red Sox.

fearofpopvol1
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Why would he want to go to Houston? I'm not sure I understand that.

Also, I'm skeptical of the Marlins sinking in that kind of money to take on a contract like that, new stadium or not.

NYY don't make much sense. They have Tex lined up for years. NYM would be interesting as they have the resources. They do have Ike Davis, but I'm sure they would happily unload him if it meant getting Pujols.

Personally, I think Albert stays and he's just trying to increase awareness and urgency to his contract situation since the offseason for the Cards is almost here and he wants his option year to be bought out for more $$$. Fine by me!

Brutus
09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Also, I'm skeptical of the Marlins sinking in that kind of money to take on a contract like that, new stadium or not.

NYY don't make much sense. They have Tex lined up for years. NYM would be interesting as they have the resources. They do have Ike Davis, but I'm sure they would happily unload him if it meant getting Pujols.

Personally, I think Albert stays and he's just trying to increase awareness and urgency to his contract situation since the offseason for the Cards is almost here and he wants his option year to be bought out for more $$$. Fine by me!

Well, I'm sure Houston & Miami having lower tax rates (both on a state & local level) probably helps. Players get taxed for every city they play in. Playing half your games in either of those two cities probably cuts down a large portion of taxes.

fearofpopvol1
09-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm sure Houston & Miami having lower tax rates (both on a state & local level) probably helps. Players get taxed for every city they play in. Playing half your games in either of those two cities probably cuts down a large portion of taxes.

I understand Florida. But why Houston? Why not the Rangers, who Pujols could possibly propel to World Champions?

Brutus
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I understand Florida. But why Houston? Why not the Rangers, who Pujols could possibly propel to World Champions?

Yeah I mean it's a good question. It seems he's always enjoyed playing in Houston, but wanting to play there full time is a different animal. I'm as surprised as you are about that part of it.

KronoRed
09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
He'll stay put and get a mega deal, the Cards can afford it.

cincrazy
09-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Believe it or not, with a new ballpark coming for 2012, I actually think the Marlins WOULD do that.

Hanley for Pujols perhaps?

Remember the Marlins right now are in an expensive lease where they keep virtually no concessions/parking revenue. Starting in 2012, they have a new stadium to boost attendance, they have a much improved lease payment and get to keep all concessions and parking. They'll be increasing payroll by that time.

Point taken about the new ballpark. However, I think it's safe to say that even WITH the new ballpark, the Marlins may not see that much of an upswing in attendance, at least not enough of an upswing to justify expanding the payroll by leaps and bounds. The fans of Florida have proven to be awful professional baseball fans up to this point, and sadly I don't think that's going to change once the novelty of a new stadium wears off.

Brutus
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Point taken about the new ballpark. However, I think it's safe to say that even WITH the new ballpark, the Marlins may not see that much of an upswing in attendance, at least not enough of an upswing to justify expanding the payroll by leaps and bounds. The fans of Florida have proven to be awful professional baseball fans up to this point, and sadly I don't think that's going to change once the novelty of a new stadium wears off.

I definitely don't see them selling out on a regular basis by any means. But they seem to believe strongly that by moving into this largely latino neighborhood they'll be able to increase attendance. Plus, I believe it's more accessible to the other portions of the Miami metro area.

HeatherC1212
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I would LOVE to see Albert with the Angels. They could use some help with their offense. :)

Eric_the_Red
09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm going to send him some brochures about sunny California, Disneyland, etc. Get him to the AL where he can't hurt the Reds as often!

HokieRed
09-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Let the Astros sign him. Tying up that kind of money in one player may hurt them as much as it helps.

LoganBuck
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Send him to the Nippon Ham Fighters. They are in a very ethnic area.

The Operator
09-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Think The Reds might get in as a dark horse candidate?

We should have kept Willy Taveras for this reason alone. He would have been the centerpiece in any deal. Once again, Reds, you've set yourselves back a decade.

* I do not agree with or endorse anything in the post above.

Chip R
09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
If Pujols is traded, how will Chris Carpenter explain that to his son?

The Operator
09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Alright, sorry, just wanted to make this post so as to get my post count up to 667 and off of that prior number.

What, you got a problem with superstition? :cool: I am a baseball fan after all.

deltachi8
09-27-2010, 11:27 PM

No state income tax and very large Latino Community. Albert would be absolutely the biggest sports star in Houston if it ever happened. (It won't, the Astros do not have nearly enough talent to make such a deal.)

The Operator
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
If Pujols is traded, how will Chris Carpenter explain that to his son? http://newmatilda.com/files/imagecache/article_feature/images/Helen-Lovejoy.jpg

I'm on the fence about this issue. I'd love for him to be gone from the NL entirely, so he can demolish some other team's pitching staff 18 times a year.

However, the prospect of him staying in St. Louis on a ~30M/yr deal is intriguing as well. They've got 11.875 million wrapped up in KYLE LOHSE for each of the next two years, and Matt Holliday makes a ton of money as well. It might be fun to watch them really handcuff themselves on the payroll front. Good Lord knows, we've been there.

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
So basically, it's not about winning.

marcshoe
09-28-2010, 12:10 AM
What, he doesn't want to go home and play for the Royals? ???

Actually, KC has some real talent coming up through their system, and Pujols could go there and lead the team into the postseason in short order.

RedsManRick
09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Nothing like floating an agent floating a harmless little trial baloon to keep the Cards' feet to the fire.

jojo
09-28-2010, 12:28 AM
So basically, it's not about winning.

Name a player who significantly sacrifices to meet the above standard.

The Operator
09-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Name a player who significantly sacrifices to meet the above standard.Even if one would, would the MLBPA allow it?

kaldaniels
09-28-2010, 12:30 AM
If I could press a button that would make the Cards put up 30 million/year over the next several years to sign Albert....I would. Big gamble of course...but he just seems so gimpy lately...I can't help but think bad things are gonna happen.

Brutus
09-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Nothing like floating an agent floating a harmless little trial baloon to keep the Cards' feet to the fire.

I did find there to be an ulterior motive with this leak. I'm sure that's part of it.

WVRedsFan
09-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Yep. Ain't gonna happen. We'll have to put up with him for years.

The Operator
09-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Yep. Ain't gonna happen. We'll have to put up with him for years.It might not be the worst thing though.

Ryan Howard got $25M in Philly so you can bet Albert will get no less than $30M. They've already got Holliday locked up at around $17M/yr. That would be almost 50 million dollars of payroll per year, on 2 players.

I say let them. We've used that model before. We locked up an aging superstar as well as an even older Barry Larkin back at the beginning of the Lost Decade, to contracts that consumed a great deal of the team's total payroll.

I say let them try The 2001-2005ish Reds business model. Give it a whirl, Redbirds.

oregonred
09-28-2010, 12:50 AM
He'll stay in STL for sure, but the Marlins will be under pressure to counter the Big 3 SuperStars and of course the Fins to maintain any kind of relevance in the area.

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Name a player who significantly sacrifices to meet the above standard.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

redsfandan
09-28-2010, 07:48 AM
However, the prospect of him staying in St. Louis on a ~30M/yr deal is intriguing as well. They've got 11.875 million wrapped up in KYLE LOHSE for each of the next two years, and Matt Holliday makes a ton of money as well. It might be fun to watch them really handcuff themselves on the payroll front. Good Lord knows, we've been there.

It might not be the worst thing though.

Ryan Howard got $25M in Philly so you can bet Albert will get no less than $30M. They've already got Holliday locked up at around $17M/yr. That would be almost 50 million dollars of payroll per year, on 2 players.

I say let them. We've used that model before. We locked up an aging superstar as well as an even older Barry Larkin back at the beginning of the Lost Decade, to contracts that consumed a great deal of the team's total payroll.

I say let them try The 2001-2005ish Reds business model. Give it a whirl, Redbirds.
I understand your point. Too much money committed to few players can be trouble. Hopefully that will be the case with the Cards.

_Sir_Charles_
09-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Oxilion hit the nail on the head. Latino communities. Houston's got a HUGE one. Same with LA and Miami. Quite possibly the 3 biggest ones in the US (at least featuring a MLB club)

Ghosts of 1990
09-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Marlins? I know it's Miami but he's not using very good business sense there.

He'll be a Cardinal for life, and if he isn't it's another ugly part of sports rearing it's head.

Chip R
09-28-2010, 09:52 AM

He'll be a Cardinal for life, and if he isn't it's another ugly part of sports rearing it's head.

Maybe he wants to hang around LeBron.

dfs
09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see him go to the Angels.

I understand the sentiment, but .....

I remember loving to watch Jack Clark hit. He slashed at everything and if he didn't pull it....well, he pulled everything.

I love watching Albert hit. I may hate the results, but he is fun to watch. As much as I would like for him to not hit off the reds, I would hate for him to be out of the league where I would only see him every couple of years.

Damn. I'm starting to sound like George Grande.

Brutus
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM

How's it not good business sense to go to the place that would save him the most in taxes? That seems like great business sense.

TRF
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Oxilion hit the nail on the head. Latino communities. Houston's got a HUGE one. Same with LA and Miami. Quite possibly the 3 biggest ones in the US (at least featuring a MLB club)

Add in that park favors RH power.

Texas is becoming quite popular for the wealthy to take up residence due to no state income tax.

WVRed
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I could see the Marlins being a major darkhorse candidate for a number of reasons:

1. The hispanic influence, as noted in the thread. Would be a major draw not only for Albert, but also a high profile Latin-American player playing in Miami.

2. Competition with the other pro and college teams. The Dolphins are always going to be relevant in Miami, even if they are losing. Add in LeBron/Bosh/Wade as well as college football reigning supreme in the sunshine state, and the Marlins will have to do something to keep from ending up on the back of the sports page.

3. New stadium opening soon. Having a franchise MLB player to help sell tickets wouldn't be a bad thing. Reminds me of when the Phillies signed Jim Thome in his prime before they moved to CBB.

4. The Marlins could put together an attractive trade package, probably better than any team that would likely pursue Albert. Any trade would likely have to start with Mike Stanton IMO, although the Marlins could deal HanRam if they wanted to give him a change of scenery. Stanton isn't going to make St Louis fans forget about dealing Pujols, but it would be a nice start to a rebuilding process.

RedsBaron
09-28-2010, 04:27 PM
I realize that it could benefit the Reds to see Pujols leave the division (unless, as some have speculated, the signing of Pujols to a huge deal cripples the Cards finanically) but I actually hope he stays in St. Louis. I generally like to see a great player stay in one city for his career. I hope Derek Jeter stays a Yankee. I wish Jim Thome had stayed an Indian. I'm glad Barry Larkin was a Red his entire playing career.