PDA

View Full Version : Other Dramatic Reds Home Runs

cumberlandreds
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Here's a few other dramatic HR's that won or tied games that stick out in my mind. What are some of yours?

Johnny Bench's game tying HR in the 9th inning of game 5 1972 NLCS. This is still just a bit more dramatic than Bruce's just because it was the deciding game of the NLCS. It was one of the few times I saw my dad get really excited over a sports event too.

Hal King's walk off HR on July 1, 1973. This set the tone for a Reds comeback to win the NL West.

Adam Dunn's walk off grand slam to beat the Indians a few years back.

Pete Rose's 9th inning HR to beat the Mets in game 4 of the 1973 NLCS.

Tony Perez's two run HR in game 7 of the 1975 Word Series. You knew the Reds were going to win the game when that ball went sailing out of Fenway.

Bench and Foster hitting back to back HR's in game 3 of the 1976 NLCS that tied that game. The Reds won it later in the inning.

membengal
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Eric Davis homering off of Dave Stewart in bottom of first of Game 1 of the 1990 World Series. Set an immediate tone.

redhawkfish
09-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Eric Davis home run in game 1 of the 1990 WS off of Dave Stewart. That set the tone for the entire series in my opinion.

redhawkfish
09-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Geez mem, beat me by a minute!:D

Strikes Out Looking
09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Here's a few other dramatic HR's that won or tied games that stick out in my mind. What are some of yours?

Johnny Bench's game tying HR in the 9th inning of game 5 1972 NLCS. This is still just a bit more dramatic than Bruce's just because it was the deciding game of the NLCS. It was one of the few times I saw my dad get really excited over a sports event too.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I remember that homer like it was yesterday. We were listening to the game on the radio and eating dinner.

cumberlandreds
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Eric Davis home run in game 1 of the 1990 WS off of Dave Stewart. That set the tone for the entire series in my opinion.

Good catch. I meant to include that one with mine. Totally agree with you.

oneupper
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I remember that homer like it was yesterday. We were listening to the game on the radio and eating dinner.

Just a kid, but that game was transmitted live in Venezuela, to where we had just moved from Puerto Rico.

My best friend was a huge Pirate fan, since he was a batboy on Roberto Clemente's winter league team.

Can't believe it's been almost 40 years.

SunDeck
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Eric Davis homering off of Dave Stewart in bottom of first of Game 1 of the 1990 World Series. Set an immediate tone.

Of all the Reds home runs, this one I remember better than any other. Like many fans, I was doubtful that the Reds would win the series, but that knock changed my opinion. It was stunning, an in your face moment like no other.

Sea Ray
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Pete Rose hit a big HR off of a tough rookie lefty named John Candelaria to beat the Pirates in decisive game three of the 1975 NL playoffs. If memory serves, the two run shot put the Reds ahead 3-2. The Reds couldn't do much with Candelaria that night but Pete made winners of them

cumberlandreds
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Pete Rose hit a big HR off of a tough rookie lefty named John Candelaria to beat the Pirates in decisive game three of the 1975 NL playoffs. If memory serves, the two run shot put the Reds ahead 3-2. The Reds couldn't do much with Candelaria that night but Pete made winners of them

Rose's HR did put the Reds ahead 3-2. But the Pirates tied it in the 9th and the Reds scored two in the 10th to win it. I had to go back to Retrosheet to refresh my memory. Candelaria was tough that night. The Reds couldn't do anything with him most of the night.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/B10070PIT1975.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/B10070PIT1975.htm)

top6
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Pokey Reese's walk off, extra inning home run in late September 1999 against the Cardinals.

In many ways, that was more exciting than last night even (at the time), because the Reds were in the middle of a close, thrilling pennant race.

medford
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
while it ultimately meant little, if you're going to mention Adam Dunn's grandslam vs the Indians on your list, then Jr's inside the park homerun to beat the cardinals has to be on that list. Perhaps it was because I was there and that game was so exciting overall, but the ball park was rocking after that.

Sea Ray
09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Rose's HR did put the Reds ahead 3-2. But the Pirates tied it in the 9th and the Reds scored two in the 10th to win it. I had to go back to Retrosheet to refresh my memory. Candelaria was tough that night. The Reds couldn't do anything with him most of the night.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/B10070PIT1975.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1975/B10070PIT1975.htm)

Wow, that's not how I remembered it. Thanks for the refresher...:thumbup:

Edskin
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Pokey Reese's walk off, extra inning home run in late September 1999 against the Cardinals.

In many ways, that was more exciting than last night even (at the time), because the Reds were in the middle of a close, thrilling pennant race.

I've been looking for this game on DVD/video, or even a youtube clip of the HR for years with no success. I've always said this was my favorite single all-time Reds moment-- even over anything in 1990....although last night has certainly entered the discussion. I know the date by heart, BTW...Sunday, Sept. 26th, 1999.

top6
09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I've been looking for this game on DVD/video, or even a youtube clip of the HR for years with no success. I've always said this was my favorite single all-time Reds moment-- even over anything in 1990....although last night has certainly entered the discussion. I know the date by heart, BTW...Sunday, Sept. 26th, 1999.

Nothing - not even a World Series win - will match 1999 for me - mostly because I was young, had a great summer job, met the girl who would become my wife and (most importantly, from a Reds' fan stand point) had the time to go to most of the home games and to obsess over every detail of the team.

And I had the funds to attend every game, since I could buy "top six" tickets, something that would come into play that off season when I was trying to come up with a screen name for the Cincinnati.com Reds message board.

All that said, last night was special, as this whole year has been. My wife and I have even driven out of our way to go the Skyline we went to in 1999. GO REDS.

George Anderson
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Chris Sabo's 2 HR's in Game 3 while not overly dramatic, pretty much put the A's away for good.

klw
09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Bench in Game 4 of the 76 Series pretty much finished off the Yankees in my mind.

Heath
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Trailing 6-4 in the 9th, Bench and Foster hit back-to-back HR's in the '76 NLCS, game 3 to tie the Phils. Concepcion scored when a ground ball goes off the glove of Bobby Tolan.

Bench's HR on Johnny Bench Night.

Joe Randa's HR on Opening Day was pretty freaking sweet. I know it wasn't a pennant race, but a walk-off HR on Opening day is something you mostly remember.

15fan
09-29-2010, 04:19 PM
After scouring the interwebz, I found it.

YouTube - Davis Slays Goliath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ34yf0jm0s&feature=related)

Johnny Footstool
09-29-2010, 04:41 PM

This.

Even Chris Berman kept pointing it out years after the fact, whenever Davis would step up for his first AB in a game.

I've typed this many times on RedsZone, but I distinctly remember there being some media controversy about Davis being moved out of the cleanup spot after his poor performance in the NLCS. Not only was this HR a slap in the face to the A's, but it was also Davis' way of shutting up the naysayers.

RedsBaron
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Tony Perez's two run HR in game 7 of the 1975 World Series. You knew the Reds were going to win the game when that ball went sailing out of Fenway.

IMO this was the most important HR in Reds history. If Perez didn't hit that two-out HR, the Reds probably do not win the World Series. If the Big Red Machine had failed in its third World Series and fourth post season appearance, I'm not sure they would have even won the World Championship in 1976, as the hangover from 1975 might have been too much to overcome. Even if they had won in 1976, they would just be remembered as a team that won a single World Series rather than a legendary team for the ages.

Sea Ray
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
IMO this was the most important HR in Reds history. If Perez didn't hit that two-out HR, the Reds probably do not win the World Series. If the Big Red Machine had failed in its third World Series and fourth post season appearance, I'm not sure they would have even won the World Championship in 1976, as the hangover from 1975 might have been too much to overcome. Even if they had won in 1976, they would just be remembered as a team that won a single World Series rather than a legendary team for the ages.

Was that the blooper he hit off Spaceman Lee?

RedsBaron
09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Was that the blooper he hit off Spaceman Lee?

Yep. I think the ball landed somewhere in Vermont.

George Anderson
09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Yep. I think the ball landed somewhere in Vermont.

I heard the ball cleared the Green Monster and ended up in the back of a pickup truck which took it somewhere far away.

westofyou
09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Pat Duncans HR against the Cardinals in June of 1921, 1st ball to clear the fence in Redland

Edskin
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Pat Duncans HR against the Cardinals in June of 1921, 1st ball to clear the fence in Redland

Cue the RFS62 joke in 3, 2, 1.....

reds44
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
The two most dramatic homers in my history of being a Reds fan were Dunn's walkoff slam and Ross' walkoff against the Cardinals.

Needless to say, they don't compare.

Sabo Fan
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM

YouTube - Davis Slays Goliath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ34yf0jm0s&feature=related)

I still have the VHS copy of that whole program somewhere, I used to get it out once a year and watch it towards the end of a particularly rough Reds season just to remind myself of the good times. I still love the quote from Rickey Henderson after Game 3, about how it must be the Reds year and no one told the A's that yet. Hilarious.

As far as memorable homers, I was at the game against the Indians when Dunn hit the grand slam. A blowout early but most folks stayed because it was fireworks night and that place exploded when he hit it. Great experience. The Davis homer in the 90 series is probably the most important one in my lifetime though, like others said it let everyone know that team wasn't just happy to be there, they were there to win it.

Tornon
09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
while it ultimately meant little, if you're going to mention Adam Dunn's grandslam vs the Indians on your list, then Jr's inside the park homerun to beat the cardinals has to be on that list. Perhaps it was because I was there and that game was so exciting overall, but the ball park was rocking after that.

In that same boat, didn't David Ross hit walk-off against Isringhausen & the Cards in 2006 when we all thought that may be our magic year?

The Voice of IH
09-30-2010, 01:18 AM
How about Dunn's 2 run home run to tie the mets in the bottom of the 9th on opening day. That was his second home run of the game, and then Joe Randa came up and made it back to back and won the game. I was there, and that place was crazy.

The Operator
09-30-2010, 01:22 AM

YouTube - Davis Slays Goliath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ34yf0jm0s&feature=related)Jack Buck sounds like he just witnessed his puppy being shot on that call.

I have that VHS and the whole series, Buck and McCarver might as well been wearing A's jerseys with their faces painted A's colors. Which just makes the fact that it was a dominant 4-game sweep even better.

thatcoolguy_22
09-30-2010, 02:03 AM
If anyone has any sort of video editing ability, it would be cool if someone would splice together 2010's walkoffs.

It wasn't a key HR, but the one Bruce robbed to end a game a few weeks ago is probably my highlight of this season. Incredible range and catch.