PDA

View Full Version : Top of the 9th!

Helms1
09-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Any comments on the pitcher last night? I thought it was interesting. Did I miss this anywhere in my skimming?

Votto4MVP
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I think in any close game at home we should put chapman in near the end, he gets the crowd electrified and the team electrified and at least a couple times we have scored right away after he pitched.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
So, do you see that relief pattern, of course depending on the opposing lineups and bench, being the playoff template? Rhodes/Masset, Chapman then I assume Cordero? How about Chapman as the closer, especially with lefties up? He took a slot Cordero had earlier in the year in a big game last night, tied game in the top of the 9th. I agree wholeheartedly with you BTW.

redsfan_12
09-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I think in any close game at home we should put chapman in near the end, he gets the crowd electrified and the team electrified and at least a couple times we have scored right away after he pitched.

+1. I was a little nervous about Chapman coming in last night. It was probably his best outing so far (in terms of "playoff" atmosphere). I think he would be the perfect closer in the playoffs. Especially if hes facing a dominate lefty like a Ryan Howard.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
+1. I was a little nervous about Chapman coming in last night. It was probably his best outing so far (in terms of "playoff" atmosphere). I think he would be the perfect closer in the playoffs. Especially if hes facing a dominate lefty like a Ryan Howard.

Bingo, but now I'm less worried about Chapman than Cordero, probably foolishly, but that old knot in the stomach is not there with Chapman on the mound before the first pitch like Cordero. Think this may be a glimpse into the playoffs?

Votto4MVP
09-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Cordero is the closer, hands down...

While Chapman wont be the closer, he might close a game out if the situation is right. Now if we face the phillies or something and are up 1 or 2 and they have 3 straight lefties, I wouldnt be surprised if baker put chap in to close it out.

Captain13
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Cordero is the closer, hands down...

While Chapman wont be the closer, he might close a game out if the situation is right. Now if we face the phillies or something and are up 1 or 2 and they have 3 straight lefties, I wouldnt be surprised if baker put chap in to close it out.

Also wouldn't be shocked to see Chap come in to get out 1 lefty to start the 9th, and Cordero get the last 2 outs.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm with you guys, I just have not seen that much nuance. Did I miss it this year, or has it just been lately that the option became available? How about this, top of 9th, home game, Cordero gets an out, 1 down, up 1 walks a batter and a bloop single, 1st and 2nd, lefty up and 1 out. Put in Chapman? Doubt it, but I would.

Captain13
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
:eek:
I'm with you guys, I just have not seen that much nuance. Did I miss it this year, or has it just been lately that the option became available? How about this, top of 9th, home game, Cordero gets an out, 1 down, up 1 walks a batter and a bloop single, 1st and 2nd, lefty up and 1 out. Put in Chapman? Doubt it, but I would.

Who's on deck? Is Massett available for the 3rd out? Now I just realized how stressed I am going to be for the entire playoffs. :eek:

New York Red
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
We were discussing this at the game last night. It wasn't a save opportunity, so I thought Chapman was the obvious choice at the time. When AR trotted in from the bullpen to start the 9th, my first thought was how will he handle that atmosphere - the big, juiced crowd, the possibility of clinching, tie ballgame, etc. He did bounce one of his warm-up tosses about 15 feet in front of home plate (lol), and I did briefly wonder if that was a bad omen. But obviously it wasn't, because he mowed down the side in order and looked dominant in doing so.

Then my second thought was, with that pitching performance and the bottom of the 9th coming up, the crowd even more juiced - it might energize the offense too. And sure enough, first pitch ... BAM!! Game over/division clinched.

Jay may have done the same thing if a different Reds pitcher had pitched the top half of the inning, but I want to believe Chapman brought an even higher energy level to the team, the crowd, the stadium, the moment, etc. The guy just has the "it" factor, and he looks ready for these similar moments in the playoffs too. Surely we won't be switching closers this late in the season, or in the playoffs, but the kid will be a late-inning factor for us.

New York Red
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I'd love to see Chapman brought in when/if Cordero gets in trouble, but as we've seen numerous times already, Dusty is going to stubbornly stick with Coco even when the ship is sinking.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
:eek:

Who's on deck? Is Massett available for the 3rd out? Now I just realized how stressed I am going to be for the entire playoffs. :eek:

Masset pitched a perfect 8th. Lefty up, 15 HRs, 80 RBIs. Righty on deck, 12 HRs, hits .295 leftys .240 rightys.

Votto4MVP
09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd love to see Chapman brought in when/if Cordero gets in trouble, but as we've seen numerous times already, Dusty is going to stubbornly stick with Coco even when the ship is sinking.

I think the game changes in the playoffs...in the regular season if you take out coco while hes going for a save or put someone else in for a save instead of him then it could get Coco down and snowball into a lot worse then one game.

In the playoffs that wont be an issue, if dusty doesnt think coco is the best guy to get the job done, I dont think he puts/leaves him in.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Smart money would be with you. I wonder if last night may have not signalled a chance though?

Stray
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Coco will have a shorter leash in the playoffs I'm sure. The problem with bringing Chapman in if Coco gets in trouble is that he doesn't particularly pitch well with runners on base, and doesn't have the quickest delivery to the plate (though his pitches obviously get there fast).

I'd like to see it more by committee and have Chapman in to get a tough lefty stretch out.

BRM13
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm OK with using Chapman to set up Cordero. The eighth inning is often the higher leverage situation anyway. Having two guys with closer stuff is very important in the post-season. They have to be able to put away any games where they get the lead after 7.

Helms1
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Coco will have a shorter leash in the playoffs I'm sure. The problem with bringing Chapman in if Coco gets in trouble is that he doesn't particularly pitch well with runners on base, and doesn't have the quickest delivery to the plate (though his pitches obviously get there fast).

I'd like to see it more by committee and have Chapman in to get a tough lefty stretch out.

Good stuff. They asked Ben Hogan one time why he hit his irons so accurately and close to the pen and he said "I can't putt". Maybe he won't let anyone reach base just in case.;)

09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Just for the record, the 9th inning of a tie game at home is the closer's inning. He can't get a save, so you put him in 9th to get the win. Starting with the 9th, you use your pitchers in order of talent, best to worst.

Dusty knows this, and has had Cordero start the 9th in these situation most of his time in Cincy. Helms1 is right. Using Chapman there was very telling.