PDA

View Full Version : What was most pleasing about 2010?

Brutus
09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Curious of all the aspects of 2010, what was your favorite part of it?

EDIT: And can I add please don't say "making the playoffs" or "it's a team sport." Those things are obvious. I'm just curious how people feel about the individual accomplishments that made the season what it is.

RANDY IN INDY
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
The group, as a whole, coming together to play unselfishly as a team and winning the division. A "never say die," group that followed the Scott Rolen lead and lost themselves in the team.

aubashbrother
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I went with Stubbs

Degenerate39
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
All the above?

George Anderson
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Playing in October.

LawFive
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Wood's emergence. It came out of relatively nowhere, and a capable LH SP is always nice to have around. Most of the others could be seen coming - it was just a matter of when.

PuffyPig
09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
All of the above, and making the playoffs. It's a team sport after all.

The developemnt of our young starting pitchers should keep us competitive for awhile..

Brutus
Playing in October.

Kill joy. :)

Brutus

The developemnt of our young starting pitchers should keep us competitive for awhile..

It's a team sport made up of individual accomplishments. There's nothing wrong with recognizing those individual achievements that helped the team win.

15fan
09-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm paraphrasing here, but I've got 2:

Votto at the ASG: "I hate the Cubs."

Phillips before the St. Lou series: "Cards are a bunch of babies."

paulrichjr
09-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I went with the signing of Chapman because at that moment I realized that Cast and Jocketty was not playing and was going to do everything needed to win. That was a sea change in my mind and I believe in many of the players and fans minds.

cumberlandreds
09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I voted other. The most pleasing aspect was that this team was competitive all season. They never mailed it in. I would have been pleased with just an above .500 record but this team surpassed that and actually made the playoffs.
If I would vote on the other choices it would be Votto as an MVP caliber player. Its been a long time since we could say that about a Red. At least since Larkin. You forget how much this type of player can make a difference on a day in, day out basis.

muddie
09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Wood's emergence. It came out of relatively nowhere, and a capable LH SP is always nice to have around. Most of the others could be seen coming - it was just a matter of when.

I was really disappointed when Leake went north and Travis didn't. Being a Mudcats fan and having seen Travis pitch here on several occasions, I was following every decision regarding his status. When he got the call I knew he would be an asset to the team.

mbgrayson
09-29-2010, 06:18 PM

This.

RedsManRick
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I voted Stubbs. CF's who can both hit and play defense are extremely hard to come by. Votto's bat is special and Bruce may yet be the more prolific of the two, but of all the big "IFs" coming in to the season, Stubbs was the one I was most pessimistic about. That he fell apart midseason and was able to fix his approach and get back on track was extremely pleasing.

Brutus
09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I voted Stubbs. CF's who can both hit and play defense are extremely hard to come by. Votto's bat is special and Bruce may yet be the more prolific of the two, but of all the big "IFs" coming in to the season, Stubbs was the one I was most pessimistic about. That he fell apart midseason and was able to fix his approach and get back on track was extremely pleasing.

That was definitely big. He's gone .826 since the ASB.

dougdirt
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I went with other.... It was a joy to watch all of these things and more. Bruce and Votto both took that next step. Stubbs showed that he belongs. Travis Wood and Mike Leake both came up to surprise. Scott Rolen, despite me still thinking we overpaid, performing incredibly well almost the entire season. I just simply refuse to pick just one.

Mario-Rijo
09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Hard to not vote Votto he was a real pleasure to watch this year but I went with other. I think the most pleasing thing was watching how this club as a whole and individually never quit battling game after game after game. As an aside BP's maturation early in the season was really nice to see hopefully he sticks with that approach.

HokieRed
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
The team's success, composed of all of the poll's choices and some others as well, the consistent strength of the starting pitching being the most important.

mth123
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
My Vote. Willy's gone.

thatcoolguy_22
09-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Stubbs. GG defense and a 20/20 (possible 20/30) season. He will be huge for us for the years to come. Thankfully I was horribly wrong on the Dickerson vs Stubbs debate!