PDA

View Full Version : The one concern I really have

Brutus
09-29-2010, 04:22 PM
in the playoffs:

LH bat off the bench.

I can't say enough how much I hope Edmonds is available for the postseason. It's good to see Nix in the lineup tonight. I hope he's at least able to go if Edmonds isn't.

The thought of sending Alonso or Francisco up to the plate in the 8th inning of game 7 of the NLCS is kind of frightening. Both guys have plenty of talent, and I'm sure one day they'll be solid (if not spectacular) hitters. But right now, I don't think they're ready for those high-leverage plate appearances.

The starting pitching could be better, but then again, any of the Reds starters are capable of going out and pitching really well. So I don't worry about that too much. And there are other issues with this club that are of concern. But the possibility of not having any veteran hitters to come in and face a tough RHP is kind of concerning.

Anyone share that thought?

Jpup
09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
My 3 biggest concerns are Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels. If the Reds can get by Philly, they can go to the World Series.

Joseph
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Philadelphia is the best team in the playoffs. If the Reds can get by them, they can win the whole thing.

Jpup
09-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Philadelphia is the best team in the playoffs. If the Reds can get by them, they can win the whole thing.

I hope you are right, but them boys in the Bronx are pretty good at winning.

Joseph
09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I hope you are right, but them boys in the Bronx are pretty good at winning.

They are that, but let's be realistic, they don't have near the pitching the Phils have.

mdccclxix
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
in the playoffs:

The thought of sending Alonso or Francisco up to the plate in the 8th inning of game 7 of the NLCS is kind of frightening. Both guys have plenty of talent, and I'm sure one day they'll be solid (if not spectacular) hitters. But right now, I don't think they're ready for those high-leverage plate appearances.

I agree, although in their defense, they've been coming to the plate with one mission, hit a HR to take the lead or tie. I think if they can focus on just getting on base somehow they can be at least passable. Meanwhile, their natural power could lead to some fireworks.

dougdirt
09-29-2010, 05:17 PM

I will take the Rays over the Phillies in terms of the best team in the playoffs.

kaldaniels
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
My 3 biggest concerns are Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels. If the Reds can get by Philly, they can go to the World Series.

Uh oh.

RedsManRick
09-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I will take the Rays over the Phillies in terms of the best team in the playoffs.

If we're talking about the guys who will play in the playoffs, not who had the best 162 game season, I'd take the Phillies over everybody and wouldn't think twice.

That starting 3 is just flat out ridiculous.

dougdirt
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
If we're talking about the guys who will play in the playoffs, not who had the best 162 game season, I'd take the Phillies over everybody and wouldn't think twice.

That starting 3 is just flat out ridiculous.

Is Roy Oswalt really this good though? I don't think he is. He is good, but I don't think he is any better than Cole Hamels is. He is where the Phillies have the significant advantage though, at the #3 spot (or maybe its Hamels at the #3 spot). 1-2 though, I think Price and Garza match up well with the Phillies.

Offensively, I will take the Rays.

kaldaniels
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Is Roy Oswalt really this good though? I don't think he is. He is good, but I don't think he is any better than Cole Hamels is. He is where the Phillies have the significant advantage though, at the #3 spot (or maybe its Hamels at the #3 spot). 1-2 though, I think Price and Garza match up well with the Phillies.

Offensively, I will take the Rays.

In a 7 games series vs. the Phillies with 4 games at CBP....I wouldn't.

TheNext44
09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
If history has taught us anything, it's that you can't predict who the Heroes and Zeros will be.
The Cardinals would never had made it to the World Series in 1987 if not for Tom Lawless, who I believe only had two hits the whole season. I think he had as many homers in the post season as he had hits in the regular season.

I alps believe that Duke Snider once went 0 for a whole World Series.

kaldaniels
09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
To get back to Brutus's original concern...has there been any updates on Edmonds status?

VR
09-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Nix, if healthy, is a very solid option. Looked OK tonight.

thatcoolguy_22
09-30-2010, 03:43 AM
My one concern has nothing to do with bench play... Starting Pitching.

How will Cueto, Arroyo, EV, and company match up against Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels.

Cueto has been known to get too hype in key moments and overthrow
Arroyo is not in the same league as the other 3
EV is a wildcard. Will he be bouncing pitches 5 feet in front of the plate or throwing one of the nastiest changeups in the majors for strike 3?
Wood/Bailey- who will get the starts and will their youth be exposed?

bucksfan2
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
My one concern has nothing to do with bench play... Starting Pitching.

How will Cueto, Arroyo, EV, and company match up against Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels.

Cueto has been known to get too hype in key moments and overthrow
Arroyo is not in the same league as the other 3
EV is a wildcard. Will he be bouncing pitches 5 feet in front of the plate or throwing one of the nastiest changeups in the majors for strike 3?
Wood/Bailey- who will get the starts and will their youth be exposed?

If the Reds play the Phillies I think Wood gets an early start. With Utley, Howard, and Ibanez being lefties you think that would make the most sense.

As for a LH bat off the bench Alonso and Francisco really don't scare me. They won't get pt other than a PH and sometimes its good to go into a big series a little green. The last think I want to happen in a PH situation is to have a hitter over-analyze the situation. See the ball, hit the ball.

hebroncougar
09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
In a short series anything can happen. The Reds have had good success against Oswalt this year, and have beaten Halladay. I'm more worried about the back of our bullpen than I am about scoring runs. The Phils came back from deficits on us this year, so they will feel no matter what, they are still in the game. Sure their big 3 can shut down anybody, but the Reds have the best offense in the league. I'm just glad we are going to be there to take our shot.