PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating Arthur Rhodes

RedsManRick
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Arthur Rhodes signed a 2-year, $4M deal with the Reds before the 2009 season. He was coming off an excellent 2008 in which he returned from Tommy John surgery at age 38. Most guys would have called it a career, but Rhodes was back on the bump and getting guys out. But a big part of his success was a flukish 0 HR allowed in 2008.

I was sure we were set up for a letdown, but he has proven me wrong. And not only has he performed very well, he's been extremely consistent. Check it out:

G IP K BB HR BABIP ERA FIP
2009 66 53.1 48 20 3 .249 2.53 3.21
2010 68 54.0 48 17 4 .246 2.33 3.28

Were it not for some troublesome plantar fasciitis, his 2010 numbers would be even better. Maybe he's been getting a bit hit lucky, particularly given his league average LD rates. But a good defense behind him certainly helps and the FIP isn't exactly anything to complain about. In any event, at $2M a year, the Reds basically got twice as much production as they paid for.

I have no idea if the Reds plan to bring Rhodes back for 2011. Personally, I tend to be in the quit while you're ahead camp. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Old Man Rhodes mowing 'em down in red this time next year.

Jpup
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Arthur loves beer. I think that needed to be said. :beerme:

UKFlounder
09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
One of the "small" moves that has turned in the Reds favor, especially this year, even more so in the first half when he was so, so dominant.

He has definitely been a bargain. As for next year? Let's let this season finish first & see what plans are for Chapman. If Aroldis stays in the pen one more year, we probably let Arthur go, but if the Reds want Chapman to start, that might increase Rhodes' value to the organization. Maybe a 1 year deal for him would be a good idea, but it's a tough question.

RedsManRick
09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Part of the situation with his return is about FA compensation. The screwy Elias ranking system has him as a Type A. In theory, that's a good thing, as it means the Reds would get a late R1 or early R2 pick for him if another team signed him. In practice, it virtually kills the market since, that pick is usually worth more to the organization than the reliever being signed -- or at least compared to other available relievers who wouldn't require compensation.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's either a Red, a Yankee (since they'll sign a few Type A guys, he'd only cost them a round 3 or 4), or a stay at home dad.

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
From the Reds website:

"I already told them that I want to come back, that I'd love to come back," Rhodes said. "I've had a wonderful time here. I've enjoyed myself. We'll see what happens in the offseason."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101011&content_id=15579398&notebook_id=15579516&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

Arthur wants to return to Cincinnati. I don't have a problem with it. I would like to get two first round picks for him, but as Rick alluded to, it's highly doubtful a team will sign Rhodes and lose their first round pick. I would have no problem with bringing Rhodes back on a one year deal assuming the Reds think his foot will be fine next season.

PuffyPig
10-12-2010, 12:15 PM
From the Reds website:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101011&content_id=15579398&notebook_id=15579516&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

Arthur wants to return to Cincinnati. I don't have a problem with it. I would like to get two first round picks for him, but as Rick alluded to, it's highly doubtful a team will sign Rhodes and lose their first round pick. I would have no problem with bringing Rhodes back on a one year deal assuming the Reds think his foot will be fine next season.

The big problem with hoping for draft pick compensation, is that you have to offer arbitration.

Zero chance that happens, as he would likely get more in arbitration than on the open market.

Chip R
10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't mind him coming back but that foot worries me.

Griffey012
10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't mind him coming back but that foot worries me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a case of plantar fasciitis? Which is treatable with rest. It seems to me the entire off-season of rest should do him wonders in dealing with his foot. I would love to see Arthur back, great man.

Brutus
10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
The big problem with hoping for draft pick compensation, is that you have to offer arbitration.

Zero chance that happens, as he would likely get more in arbitration than on the open market.

That's not entirely true. If a player signs with another team prior to the Arbitration filing deadline, the team still gets compensated.

Practically though, as Rick mentioned, a lot of teams would stay away from Rhodes because they wouldn't view him as being worth giving up the draft pick.

dfs
10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a case of plantar fasciitis? Which is treatable with rest. It seems to me the entire off-season of rest should do him wonders in dealing with his foot.

My understanding is that rest will eliminate the current pain and that stretching and braces can eliminate future pain as well.

Like most of the returning vets, I would like Rhodes in the eye and say, How much do you want to come back here for?

The only one I'm confident Walt really wants back is Hernandez.

NDRed
10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
My understanding is that rest will eliminate the current pain and that stretching and braces can eliminate future pain as well.

Like most of the returning vets, I would like Rhodes in the eye and say, How much do you want to come back here for?

The only one I'm confident Walt really wants back is Hernandez.

Yes, I have dealt with it for a couple of years. There are things you can do to prevent reoccurance. Mainly; rest, stretching excercises, and wearing a "boot" while sleeping. Rarely are further methods required for treatment and prevention.