PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this trade?

WrongVerb
09-30-2010, 07:52 AM
I know it's a bit early to focus on the hot stove league, but it never hurts to look to see how the ball club could be improved.

(please keep the pitchforks at bay)

Reds get:
Hanley Ramirez
Mike Stanton

Marlins get:
Chapman
Alonso
one of Janish/Frazier/Valaika/Cozart

I wonder if the Marlins would love to get their hands on the CUBAN phenom, and just how much they'd (over)pay to get him. Would they give up Ramirez and Stanton. Stanton is super young and has prodigious power that seems to have translated to the majors quite nicely. They also could use a solid hitting prospect, plus they'd need someone to fill in at SS.

I know we'll be giving up Chapman, but the chance to add that much offense, still having a stable of young pitchers to fill out the rotation, you couldn't pass that up. Imagine the next 5 years of Stanton/Stubbs/Bruce, with Ramirez at SS. That's as strong as it gets right there.

OK, have at me. :)

oneupper
09-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Marlins don't do that trade. Makes little sense for them. They have an excess of first basemen.

Stanton is going to be huge. Kid has 21 HR in 343 ABs. Will hit 30-40 next year. And he's 20.

And Alonso's Sept. call up hasn't helped his value much.

camisadelgolf
09-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, there's no way the Marlins do that deal. But yeah, that would get some heavy consideration from me.

GoReds
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the last 10 years have really emphasized how valuable GOOD pitching is. Chapman's potential is unbelievable. I'm not sure I would include Chapman in any trade that does not include good pitching coming back to the Reds. I'm tired of the softball league team the Reds were plopping on the field from 00-09.

RedsManRick
09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I would do that trade and then break my arm patting myself on the back. That trade immediately adds something on the order of 5 wins to the team.

There's no way the Marlins would do that though.

HokieRed
09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
It would take a lot more than that for me to trade Chapman.

membengal
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I proposed a Chapman to the Marlins as part of a package to get Hanley back in the July trade threads. I sure don't hate your thought, but can't imagine prying Stanton off them in addition to Hanley.

Ghosts of 1990
09-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I kind of want to hang on to Chapman through the life of his contract. There's several possibilities there that make me think he's a superstar in the making.

Playadlc
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
You would have to throw in a Leake or Wood in that package to get HRam and Stanton. Stanton is going to be a stud.

buckeyenut
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes I do it although it would be tough to move chapman.

mth123
09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Stubbs
Ramirez
Votto
Stanton
Bruce
Rolen
Phillips
Hanigan/Mesoraco

Wow. Big Red Machine II. Love the Missile, but it would take a lot more than he and Alonso plus one of the iffy SS.

The Voice of IH
09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
yea I would do it, Reds have starting pitching, Chapman is going to be a star, so I am ok with keeping him too. But you talk about instantly creating a dominating line up. The Nl central would be owned by the Cincinnati Reds.

dfs
09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
It would take a lot more than that for me to trade Chapman.

The majority sentiment seems to be that the marlins wouldn't do this trade because they wouldn't be getting fair value in return.

You're going against the grain, so I'm curious what you think would be a fair offer from the reds for Hanley and Stanton?

I don't think there is any way the reds could pry Stanton away from the Marlins. No way the Marlins give up a player like that till he's in arbitration.

WVRedsFan
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Why would you trade the best pitching prospect for a shortstop and an outfielder? I don't get it. With Dusty returning, OCab is your shortstop next year with Janish backing him up. Not only would the Marlins not entertain this, but neither would Walt Jocketty.

HokieRed
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
The majority sentiment seems to be that the marlins wouldn't do this trade because they wouldn't be getting fair value in return.

You're going against the grain, so I'm curious what you think would be a fair offer from the reds for Hanley and Stanton?

I don't think there is any way the reds could pry Stanton away from the Marlins. No way the Marlins give up a player like that till he's in arbitration.

There's a certain level of player whom I consider real difference makers that I don't think you take the risk on trading. If Chapman develops into a number 1 starter with the kind of stuff he has, he's potentially the most valuable, season-changing, player in the major leagues. For a similar reason, I didn't, and don't, like the Hamilton for Volquez trade, though I'm delighted to have Volquez. But Hamilton's no where near as potentially dominating as Chapman.

Spitball
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
I think the last 10 years have really emphasized how valuable GOOD pitching is. Chapman's potential is unbelievable. I'm not sure I would include Chapman in any trade that does not include good pitching coming back to the Reds. I'm tired of the softball league team the Reds were plopping on the field from 00-09.

Good post. After a decade of losing with expensive offensive stars, no defense, no pitching, and we propose trading Chapman for a Hanley Ramirez? Uh...no thank you. Save the Hanley money for keeping the young core.

In my opinion, this is the kind of logic that sank the Cubs. Ramirez goes the way of Alfonso Soriano. He will make a lot of money, lose speed, and his infield defense will dictate his move to left field. Then you have a league average player or less taking up a large percentage of the payroll.

I would rather stick with the pitching and defense strategy and stay away from the "softball league team" philosophy.

WVPacman
10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Not trying to change the subject but I just wanted to know if anybody on here be willing to trade Phillips,Alonso and Matt Maloney to the Marlins for Dan Uggla if the Marlins would do it?

mth123
10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Not trying to change the subject but I just wanted to know if anybody on here be willing to trade Phillips,Alonso and Matt Maloney to the Marlins for Dan Uggla if the Marlins would do it?

No way. I'd rather have Phillips defense with offense combo than Uggla, let alone adding Alonso and Maloney in the deal.

mth123
10-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Good post. After a decade of losing with expensive offensive stars, no defense, no pitching, and we propose trading Chapman for a Hanley Ramirez? Uh...no thank you. Save the Hanley money for keeping the young core.

In my opinion, this is the kind of logic that sank the Cubs. Ramirez goes the way of Alfonso Soriano. He will make a lot of money, lose speed, and his infield defense will dictate his move to left field. Then you have a league average player or less taking up a large percentage of the payroll.

I would rather stick with the pitching and defense strategy and stay away from the "softball league team" philosophy.

I think Stanton is the prize in the proposed deal and no way would the Marlins deal him.

Spitball
10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I think Stanton is the prize in the proposed deal and no way would the Marlins deal him.

That is why I didn't even address the Stanton aspect of the trade. He is not going to be traded...as is the case with Chapman.

WebScorpion
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't consider trading Chapman for the following reasons:

1. He's a #1 pitcher in the making.
2. He may be our only hope to dominate a post-season series. (I hope to be there a lot in the future)
3. He's left-handed. (might be the key to crushing the Phillies)
4. He will pay for himself as a starter...people come just to see the radar light up every time he pitches. (At the gate, Chapman may well be the most valuable player in all of baseball.)

No one short of Steven Strasburg gives you all these features (except the lefty part) and I wouldn't trade for him because he may turn out to be more brittle than Chapman.

Now, If he could land us a major league left fielder and SS who both rake and a highly rated pitching prospect or two, I'd consider it. ;)

Scrap Irony
10-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't consider trading Chapman for the following reasons:

1. He's a #1 pitcher in the making.
2. He may be our only hope to dominate a post-season series. (I hope to be there a lot in the future)...

I realize you said maybe, but I take exception to this.

By my count, the Reds have four guys who could well turn out to be ace-level TOR starters next season. Of the quartet, Volquez, Bailey, and Cueto have all shown flashes of ace-level production.

To poo-pooh that trio seems a bit premature, IMO. None of them are yet 27, remember.

I will agree that Chapman is a great arm to have, as it is absolutely electric.