PDA

View Full Version : Reds are smokin'!

Brutus
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Or are they?

Reds being investigated for violating smoking ban (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100930/SPT04/10010340/-1/NLETTER06/Smoking-complaints-for-Reds-cigars?source=nletter-nletter-breakingnews)

A portion of the story:

The Cincinnati Reds will be investigated by the Cincinnati Health Department for violations of the state smoking ban after complaints players were smoking cigars indoors Tuesday night while celebrating their National League Central championship, city officials said today.

A lot of players could be seen on TV smoking the cigars, and Reds owner Bob Castellini was passing them out. But video doesn't affect the investigation - the health inspector has to actually see someone smoking, said Rocky Merz, health department spokesman.

Five people called a statewide smoking ban complaint hotline, Merz said. Those complaints were sent to the city health department today for investigation. Castellini will get letter soon notifying him of the alleged violation.

Cedric
09-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Or are they?

Reds being investigated for violating smoking ban (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100930/SPT04/10010340/-1/NLETTER06/Smoking-complaints-for-Reds-cigars?source=nletter-nletter-breakingnews)

A portion of the story:

There are at least 5 people in Cincinnati who need to get a life.

Roy Tucker
09-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I heard this on WLW yesterday.

Some people are so tight, you couldn't pull a pin out of their butt with a tractor.

westofyou
09-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I heard this on WLW yesterday.

Some people are so tight, you couldn't pull a pin out of their butt with a tractor.

Some people are so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up their rear it would come out a diamond.

Brutus
09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
There are at least 5 people in Cincinnati who need to get a life.

I'm in the process of preparing five dunce caps for a 5-way dunce-a-day award.

GAC
09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Probably smokers that called because they couldn't smoke and were quite irritable LOL

HumnHilghtFreel
09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Cardinals fans!

lol

Brutus
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Cardinals fans!

lol

How would Chris Carpenter explain smoking a cigar to his son?

traderumor
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
This isn't an Onion story?

Chip R
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
An empty box of Liga Privada #9 cigars was in Orlando Cabrera’s locker after he passed them out to teammates - and judging by the way some of them held them or smoked them it was the first cigars of their lives. And the green tint to their skin helped that assessment of their cigar-puffing experience.

The cigars, a Nigaraguan brand, cost $12 a stick or $280 for a box of 24 and they were furnished by much-pleased owner/CEO Bob Castellini. He gave one once to Cabrera and when Cabrera said how much he liked it Castellini told him, “When you win the championship I’ll give you a box.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/09/29/the_sweet_smell_of_success_lin.html

Matt700wlw
09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Lame.

Stupid laws create stupid situations like this.

VR
09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Government in action. Come to Portland where the health department shuts down 12 year old's lemonade stand for not having a permit.

savafan
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Probably smokers that called because they couldn't smoke and were quite irritable LOL

Could very well be true. Sadly, I haven't been back to GABP since there I was informed that there was no place inside an open air stadium where I could have a smoke, and I wasn't permitted to go outside the gate and come back in. At least the Dayton Dragons allow smokers to go out for a puff and then re-enter the stadium, and Wrigley Field has a smoking area inside a bar... The rules at GABP truly aren't fair to smokers, but that's okay, I'm told we're less than human and second class citizens anyway...

GAC
10-01-2010, 06:39 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/09/29/the_sweet_smell_of_success_lin.html

Bring some cigars buddy, because if the Reds win game #4 and the series we're firing them bad boys up and taking our chances!!!!!

redsmetz
10-01-2010, 08:51 AM

You might be closer to the truth, although I'd peg it more folks who are dislike the law and want to make it look absurd. This "incident" is an oddity and likely won't be repeated.

redsfandan
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM

I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't be a surprised if at least a couple of the callers were smokers.

I gotta agree with savafan though, the law does go too far.

You might be closer to the truth, although I'd peg it more folks who are dislike the law and want to make it look absurd. This "incident" is an oddity and likely won't be repeated.
I think I heard that the fine would be all of $100. If I'm one of the Reds and we just won a series in the playoffs I'm lighting up.

_Sir_Charles_
10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
How much you wanna bet that this is a fine the Reds will be HAPPY to pay.

westofyou
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Could very well be true. Sadly, I haven't been back to GABP since there I was informed that there was no place inside an open air stadium where I could have a smoke, and I wasn't permitted to go outside the gate and come back in. At least the Dayton Dragons allow smokers to go out for a puff and then re-enter the stadium, and Wrigley Field has a smoking area inside a bar... The rules at GABP truly aren't fair to smokers, but that's okay, I'm told we're less than human and second class citizens anyway...

Too bad for you I guess, but good for folks who don't want to smell your smoke. Though I agree, there should be an area for you guys to kill yourselves with that stuff.

Roy Tucker
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
From what I've read, a state inspector has to be physically on the premises and witness the smoking. First time offense is $100 fine and it escalates to $500 for subsequent offenses.

So maybe when the Reds win the NLDS, NLCS, and World Series, there will be a guy there and the Reds might have to pay a fine. I think they'd be happy to pay it.

By and large, I'm a fan of the ban on smoking in public places, but in this case, I can forgive the Reds. Roy has been known to partake in a cigar on special occasions.

But I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a low-key Reds memo that goes out that says "guys, cool it with the stogies".

The Operator
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I was just reading on Deadspin, and some commenters on there think it may have been LaRussa and company who called in the complaint.

Think that has any credibility?

OnBaseMachine
10-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I was just reading on Deadspin, and some commenters on there think it may have been LaRussa and company who called in the complaint.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

reds44
10-01-2010, 04:15 PM

I hope to God this is true.

westofyou
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM

No it has zero credibility in my eyes.

First off why would they watch the Reds celebrate?

I can't think of one reason at all.

I'm calling BS this is more likely the reason.

It's Official: Ohio Is the East Germany of America

http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/01/its-official-ohio-is-the-east?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reason/HitandRun+(Reason+Online+-+Hit+%26+Run+Blog)

Brutus
10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Bring some cigars buddy, because if the Reds win game #4 and the series we're firing them bad boys up and taking our chances!!!!!

I wonder if Aroldis thought to smuggle in some Cubans.

And for the Seinfeld fans out there, I meant the cigars. :)

redsfandan
10-01-2010, 07:37 PM
The thought of LaRussa being involved is just funny to me. Maybe it involves someone that also wants to ban peanuts at the ballpark due to peanut allergies. It's a little unfortunate that Cincinnati/Ohio is looking bad in the press due to this.

Reds4Life
10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm a cigar guy, Bob has good taste. Liga #9's are one of my favorites. Probably not a good choice for people who aren't used to smoking cigars though, they are pretty full bodied.

Oh, and the 5 people that called to complain need to get a life.

WebScorpion
10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm hoping they get busted on this infraction every year! :thumbup:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool06.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

GAC
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5636868

Health Department spokesman Rocky Merz said Friday that state law requires such an inspection after five complaints about the indoor smoking were phoned in. Don't expect much to come of the inspection. Merz says further action is "highly unlikely."

Merz says an inspection must be done within 30 days, and the Reds will be notified of the alleged violation. He says the department realizes "everyone was celebrating" the victory and wishes the Reds well.

So there is a "post-season exception" written into the law? Who would have think'd it? LOL

Next time I go down and wanna smoke I'll do it on the field and say I'm celebrating Gomes drawing a walk! LOL

Razor Shines
10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
No it has zero credibility in my eyes.

First off why would they watch the Reds celebrate?

I can't think of one reason at all.

I'm calling BS this is more likely the reason.

It's Official: Ohio Is the East Germany of America

http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/01/its-official-ohio-is-the-east?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reason/HitandRun+(Reason+Online+-+Hit+%26+Run+Blog)

I agree.

savafan
10-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Though I agree, there should be an area for you guys to kill yourselves with that stuff.

See, that's all I'm asking for. :)