PDA

View Full Version : Who is your post season "pick to click"?

Eric_the_Red
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Which player emerges into the national spotlight this post season for the Reds? Votto is probably closest to being really known nationally among casual fans, and most casual fans probably view Rolen as a past his prime guy.

With a solid post season I think a number of Reds players could introduce themselves nationally. (Think David Price.) I think everything is aligning for Jay Bruce to be this player. First, his walkoff clincher will be replayed during the NLDS I'm sure. He seems to be really hitting his stride offensively, and he can make spectacular plays at the plate and in the field. If the Reds advance, I think Bruce introduces himself to the rest of the baseball world.

I could also see Stubbs, Volquez and Chapman doing the same.

Cedric
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Which player emerges into the national spotlight this post season for the Reds? Votto is probably closest to being really known nationally among casual fans, and most casual fans probably view Rolen as a past his prime guy.

With a solid post season I think a number of Reds players could introduce themselves nationally. (Think David Price.) I think everything is aligning for Jay Bruce to be this player. First, his walkoff clincher will be replayed during the NLDS I'm sure. He seems to be really hitting his stride offensively, and he can make spectacular plays at the plate and in the field. If the Reds advance, I think Bruce introduces himself to the rest of the baseball world.

I could also see Stubbs, Volquez and Chapman doing the same.

I would think for the Reds to make the World Series we would need Chapman to be the star. The starting staff isn't exactly consistent and Chapman could easily go 2 innings in back to back games with days off. Hopefully he does exactly what Price and K-Rod did.

I don't know if people remember how important K-Rod was for the Angels in their winning season.

RedsManRick
10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Put me down for Wood. I think he throws a great game against Philly and the national Fox announcers act like he materialized out of thin air.

WVRedsFan
10-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Bruce, Stubbs, and Wood in no particular order.

blumj
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I would think for the Reds to make the World Series we would need Chapman to be the star. The starting staff isn't exactly consistent and Chapman could easily go 2 innings in back to back games with days off. Hopefully he does exactly what Price and K-Rod did.

I don't know if people remember how important K-Rod was for the Angels in their winning season.
I think K-Rod's easily the most memorable thing from that whole postseason, FWIW. It was almost like they all of a sudden pulled Pedro Jr. out of their bullpen when nobody had known he existed. But that couldn't happen now quite the same way, I don't think, we're too aware of guys like Price and Chapman.

TRF
10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Volquez dominates. Stubbs is underestimated and has a monster 1st round.

I see a .350+ BA for Janish in the post season if he plays.

Ghosts of 1990
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I think Brandon Phillips has a big series.

I think Chapman looks like a superstar.

I think Arroyo will throw one game and match Halladay almost stride for stride and leave in a 1-1 or 2-2 tie.

VR
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Nix and Bray are my underdog valued contributors.

Volky, Bruce, and Rolen fight it out for playoff MVPs. ( I think JV gets pitched around in a big way)

Benihana
10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Cueto, Volquez or Wood. Hopefully one of those three will arrive into stardom with a bang (or a whiff).

kaldaniels
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't laugh....Gomes is my pick to step it up. I've just had this feeling for weeks.

mdccclxix
10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
We're going to need production from the bottom of the order and I can see Ray-moan factoring in nicely throughout, although my pick to click will be Chapman. Let's hope he's gaining his fame in wins not losses.

MrCinatit
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Votto, Phillips, Arroyo and Chapman being the Reds version of Rivera in 1995.

mth123
10-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Jaaaaaayyyy Bruuuuuuuuuce!

redsfandan
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Phillips, Wood, Alonso.

oregonred
10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Wow, after reading this thread and assuming all the guys mentioned above step-up it sure looks like an easy road to the title.

Gomes would be my least likely
My call would be Wood and Phillips

Eric_the_Red
10-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Phillips, Wood, Alonso.

Just curious, but why Alonso? He hasn't shown me anything that hints that he is ready to break out. I wonder if he is even a lock to make the post season roster.

SunDeck
10-02-2010, 12:04 PM
If Stubbs keeps hitting the ball like he has in the last few weeks, he could turn some heads.

Mario-Rijo
10-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Just curious, but why Alonso? He hasn't shown me anything that hints that he is ready to break out. I wonder if he is even a lock to make the post season roster.

His chances of making that roster are slim to none, at best.

When I read the 1st post the person that lept to mind was Drew Stubbs I think he is playing his best ball of the season currently. I wish Dusty would do something a bit different with the lineup than he has all season for this series with Philly.

Phillips
Stubbs
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Cabrera
Gomes/Nix
Hernandez/Hanigan

redsfandan
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Just thought that sometimes a player comes out of nowhere to do something in the playoffs so I threw him out there. Almost included Francisco too.

WebScorpion
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I think Bailey will finally be able to maintain his concentration for a full game with no mistake pitches and pitch a post-season gem. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure he'll get a start. :dunno:

I also think things are primed for Bruce, Stubbs, and Phillips to get hot for a spell. That's what I like about this team...it could be any one of them, but if it's more than one...Look out!!:thumbup:

Griffey012
10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Bruuuuuuuce! Jay has been coming on well of late, I think his power is finally fully back from his wrist injury from last year. He may very well be the X factor against Halladay and Oswalt.

Ghosts of 1990
10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I would LOVE to be wrong, I mean LOVE; but I see Joey Votto our mightiest slugger during the regular season not doing a whole lot in this series.

reds44
10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Edinson Volquez.

edabbs44
10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
OC is my 1st choice. Stubbs as well.

edabbs44
10-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Wow, after reading this thread and assuming all the guys mentioned above step-up it sure looks like an easy road to the title.

I'm pulling for Jonny even more in this series, just so we can see and end to posts like these.

Griffey012
10-05-2010, 09:31 AM

I am afraid Phillips is going to press way to hard, much like he did during the STL brawl series. I expect him to do about as much as Alfonso Soriano on the Yankees during the playoffs. But I hope I am wrong.

OesterPoster
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm going with the two-headed catcher combo. H & H have a big series at the plate.

bucksfan2
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I would LOVE to be wrong, I mean LOVE; but I see Joey Votto our mightiest slugger during the regular season not doing a whole lot in this series.

Votto will have to be extremely paitent during the playoffs. Teams aren't going to allow him to beat them. IMO if he is you will see him walk quite a bit and it will rely on Rolen, Gomes, and Bruce to produce big for the Reds.

Degenerate39
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Rolen, Gomes and Phillips will get hot at the right time. Bruce and Stubbs will stay hot.

bucksfan
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Jonny G., Jay to stay hot, and Phillips...

redsfandan
10-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Changing my picks (while I still can) to Bruce, Volquez, Francisco.

I have a little more confidence in Bruce continuing his good hitting than Phillips hitting with his hand not 100%. Volquez has done well vs Philly and two good starts from Volquez showing that the Reds can match Halladay would be huge. Francisco is just my pick for a guy to 'come out of nowhere' to get a key hit.

Redsfan320
10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, you may want to change that Volquez one... TOO LATE!!! :D :laugh::lol::notworthy::bowrofl::runawaycr::cry::c ry:

Griffey012
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Looks like my Bruce pick was good so far he got a walk!

redsfandan
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, you may want to change that Volquez one... TOO LATE!!! :D :laugh::lol::notworthy::bowrofl::runawaycr::cry::c ry:

I don't think anyone really expected that kind of start from him. The guy still has talent. Just not enough poise unfortunately.