PDA

View Full Version : How about the Gatling Gun?

Phhhl
10-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Does anyone believe the Reds would have been swept in Philadelphia, or lost the anamoly in Atlanta for that matter, if a pitcher like Aroldis had been a part of this bullpen from the beginning of the season? A guy like that is critical in a postseason situation. With off days, this lethal weapon is at Dusty's disposal nearly every single October ballgame. The most agonizing losses of the 2010 season, including 3 or 4 of those against teams the Reds are likely to face in October, might have been avoided if a weapon like the "Gatling Gun" had been available all year.

I can see Aroldis shutting down lethal hitters like Utley, Huff, Gonzalez, Heyward, Texiera, Pena, Posada and Howard in multiple games this postseason if he is used correctly. H***, I could even see him beating Barry Bonds after a steroid cocktail. Maybe his fluid mechanics give hitters a longer look at his pitches, as Agon suggested, but it is hard to imagine even the best fastball hitters in this game hitting his slider if he manages to get that pitch over the plate late in October games. And so, what are the chances of that?

David Price nearly won the Rays a World Championship a couple of years ago by himself. This Reds club probably has more deficiencies than that team, but the scope of Aroldis and his galactic talent hangs over this postseaon like the humongous starships that threatened Tom Cruise and his children in the melodramatic remake "War of the Worlds" a few years ago.

Talent like his can translate into great things this time of year. While we agonize over playoff seeding and what it may portend moving forward, it is exciting to remember what the Gatling Gun respresented in American History. People want to reach back to the 1960's to characterize the type of threat that Chapman presents to the known world by calling him the "Cuban Missile". But, in truth, his type of dominance was established by Union Forces during the Civil War, and law enforcement agencies immediately after by blowing away the enemy and restoring justice to a country in chaos.

Aroldis is an American now, and I prefer to think of him as a Gatling Gun. And, he is the type of weapon that can change history forever.

joshnky
10-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Does anyone believe the Reds would have been swept in Philadelphia, or lost the anamoly in Atlanta for that matter, if a pitcher like Aroldis had been a part of this bullpen from the beginning of the season?

Yes. One reliever that pitches one inning a game at most would not have been the difference between winning and losing those series. That's why his future should be as a starter.

Chapman is great and makes this bullpen much better. However, I'd argue that it was better earlier in the season when Masset, Rhodes, and Cordero were all on top of their game. He is helping to offset the struggles of those three but not completely.

Mario-Rijo
10-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I do think we may have escaped a couple of those losses with him in tow. That said Philly didn't have 2 of their best overall hitters in Utley and Polanco either. Aroldis should help going forward but only if we are still in those games that late. We aren't gonna be if we swing the bats like we did last night, brutal.

WebScorpion
10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
It will be nice to have him for the playoffs. Plus, he will get some big game experience in small doses to prepare for next year when he's a starter. He's the one guy who can go up against the other team's number one starter and have a good chance of winning. I can't wait for him to be a starter! :thumbup: But I'm still going to enjoy seeing Dusty call him in during this post-season. :D

Scrap Irony
10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
As a reliever, Chapman may be the most important piece of the Red pitching staff.

He could legitimately affect every game in the series. Even better, he could turn a series all by himself.

Think of it this way.

First game. Reds up 1-0 on a Phillips' single and Votto double. Bottom of the sixth inning, Arroyo has tired a bit and has put Rollins and Victorino on base. First and third. No outs.

In comes Chapman.

K of Utley, followed by a K of Howard.

Now, Werth is up with two down and two on. Chapman walks him unintentionally intentionally, then K's Ibanez.

Next inning, he sets down Polanco, Ruiz, and the pitcher's spot, as Manuel must now PH for Halladay, as his team is down one in the seventh inning.

Chapman has not only gotten Cincinnati out of its most difficult spot of the game but is directly responsible for getting the Reds into the Phillie pen and away from Halladay.