PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Reds starting LFer next season?

Vottomatic
10-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Just curious what people think.

Girevik
10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I voted Hisey, as much I as would LOVE to see the Reds make a legit run as Crawford.

DocRed
10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
If it is Gomes then the Reds managament fails in all possible scenarios

aldotcs
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I like the idea of Heisey. Gomes has been getting Dunn Disease over there lately.

BAKER12
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
David DeJesus

redsfan_12
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
hopefully, Anyone but Gomes

mlh1981
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Johnny Damon

bagz
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I'd like to see Votto with Alonso starting at 1B but voted trade or through free agency.
I think they'll offer 1 of our promising young catchers as the centerpiece in a deal.

Mr Larkin
10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Don't hate on Gomes. He has had a good year, but with the off season coming off a playoff year, we could probably upgrade. I will not put down Gomes though, he played hard and did well over all. He played with all he has, what more can you ask?

Stray
10-03-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't see why moving Votto to left would happen. He's an above average 1B defensively, and will have an MVP on his mantle for his offense. Maybe it does, but it wouldn't make sense to me. Alonso is just the odd man out, and could maybe be valuable in a trade.

I voted for Gomes, but I believe 2 of the 3 will be on the roster next year, and if it were up to me, platoon/bench guys. The three being Nix, Gomes, and Heisey. Financially we're limited obviously, but I'd love to have a better option out there in left, but if it can't happen, I can live with it. Someone has to hit behind Votto, and hopefully that guy can be Bruce next year, or another someone that we bring in.

RiverRat13
10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I voted Gomes. Not because that's who I want to start in LF, but I think he is the most likely scenario.

10-03-2010, 06:55 PM
This really is the easiest place for the Reds to upgrade next season, and I hope they do it. Gomes has been a nice bargain, but it's time to shop retail. The Reds have the money and the talent to do it in LF next season.

I think there will be some drop in production with Rolen, Phillips and the catching core, so there should be an upgrade somewhere in the offense.

Krawhitham
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Carl Crawford

BurgervilleBuck
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm betting it'll be that nebulous LF that can bat leadoff.

brm7675
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I voted Gomes because I think that is what the Reds will do, but I would go with either Heisey or an outside FA

huber14
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
because it's Dusty calling the shot, Gomes unless they get someone in FA which I don't see

RedsLvr
10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
For those of you who believe Carl Crawford will want to come to Cincinnati consider this..

He was furious at Tampa Bay's attendance, I'm sure he'll love to come to Cincy. And Cincy won't be able to pay enough money for him, sorry.

1990REDS
10-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Carl Crawford is not an option.

goreds2
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I think Gomes should platoon a little more next season. I think he should in the playoffs. I love the way he plays the game though.

Girevik
10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
For those of you who believe Carl Crawford will want to come to Cincinnati consider this..

I don't think any of us think Crawford will be in Cincy next year. There's just a bunch of of who wish he would (or the Reds would at least try)!

BAKER12
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Depends on how Stubbs is viewed. If he is a middle of order guy (I would personally hit him 6th behind Bruce) I would like a table setter and would not mind an older player.
Podsednik lf
Phillips 2b
Votto 1b
Rolen 3b
Bruce rf
Stubbs cf
Hanigernandez c
O Cab or Janish ss

Vottomatic
10-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Most people think it will be someone acquired in the off season. Interesting. 46%

Hustleman
10-13-2010, 08:49 PM
said it in the other thread but if the red sox go after carl crawford, jacoby ellsbury could possibly be had for cheap

gedred69
10-13-2010, 11:52 PM
There are a couple guys in the system, one who has been tagged as a hitter, until a so-so '10, Frazier. Then, there is a guy who shot through 3 levels this season, (extremely successful at every level), Sappelt. Otherwise, it will need to be someone from outside the organization. Hopefully someone who can hit lead-off so Phillips can return to a more natural spot, like-2nd. Anybody got stats on what he hit batting 2nd vs. 1st? I'm thinking the difference is significant, throwing out his slow start of the season.

PeteRoseBelongs
10-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Phillips thinks hes a 40 homer guy who doesn't run out ground balls and loafs on the bases. I voted for Heisey. they have been preaching the youth movement to us for years. I would like to see Heisey in left stubbs in center and bruce in right. Call up Sappelt to platoon.

Roush's socks
10-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I think Gomes will be back because he's cheap and available. People always say it is easy to find good LF'rs, but the the truth is that finding guys who hit .850+ OPS at any position is hard. Anything less wouldn't be a significant upgrade over Gomes anyway. Heisey is a better defender, but I'm not sure his hitting would hold up playing every day.

scott91575
10-14-2010, 05:49 AM
I think Gomes will be back because he's cheap and available. People always say it is easy to find good LF'rs, but the the truth is that finding guys who hit .850+ OPS at any position is hard. Anything less wouldn't be a significant upgrade over Gomes anyway. Heisey is a better defender, but I'm not sure his hitting would hold up playing every day.

It's not that hard to find a 760+ OPS LFer on the open market that doesn't completely blow in the field. Gomes had a negative WAR (he is one where the fielding metrics are dead on...he is downright awful in the field). He was worth less than a replacement player. Heck, a competent fielder with a 700 OPS would be better. I could see Heisey easily doing that.

Girevik
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM

I'm not saying Gomes won't be back, I just don't think he'll be the regular LF. I see him as your power guy off the bench. I originally voted Hisey, but from hearing some of the sports casters talk, they seem to think it's farily likey that some of the excess SP the Reds have now could be moved for a position player (which would likely be LF or SS).

PeteRoseBelongs
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
the thing about those experts. They are just sharing opinions and just because they say something doesn't mean that is what Dusty and Walt are going to do.

webbbj
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I originally voted Hisey, but from hearing some of the sports casters talk, they seem to think it's farily likey that some of the excess SP the Reds have now could be moved for a position player (which would likely be LF or SS).

i know the reds have 7-8 potential starting candidates but i think it would be a mistake to deal 2 starters for a postion player and go into the season w/ only 5-6 potential starters. you gotta factor in chapman may not be ready, leake still has an innings count and someone could get injured.

i think the best idea would be to trade to starters for a big time #1 starter. so you get stronger at the top but still have rotational depth.

i would look to trade alonso + prospects for SS or LF help.

i dont think we will be able to use our current assets to make significant upgrades to LF/SS and Ace pitcher. I think we get two of those things. at one of those positions will be a young guy filling in the hole.

brm7675
10-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't hate on Gomes. He has had a good year, but with the off season coming off a playoff year, we could probably upgrade. I will not put down Gomes though, he played hard and did well over all. He played with all he has, what more can you ask?

A good year? How do you qualify it as a good year? A great 2 months with the remaming being poor to horrible is more along the lines of Mr. Gomes 2010 campaign.

DocRed
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
A good year? How do you qualify it as a good year? A great 2 months with the remaming being poor to horrible is more along the lines of Mr. Gomes 2010 campaign.

Yep, plus Gomes 2009 was actually superior in average than 2010 its just that he didn't play the full year in 2009.

2009-ave .267, obp .338, slg .541, ops .879
2010-ave .266, obp .327, slg .431, ops .758

AintlifeGrande
10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
IMO Alonso would be going to the OF before Joey would.

Red Forman
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Per Cincy Enquirer......

J. Fay re: LF........

***The team will almost certainly exercise Gomes’ $1.8 million option. I think they can live with him as the main guy at the start of 2011 and
hope that Chris Heisey or Todd Frazier develops enough to take over at some point in ’11 or ’12.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/10/14/the-left-field-question/

lonewolf371
10-15-2010, 09:50 PM
It's probably the financially prudent move to make unless a great deal falls into Jocketty's lap.

Stray
10-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Considering what we have to work with, we can do a lot worse than Gomes at his price. I'm far from sold on Heisey being an everyday OF at this point, not to say I love having Gomes our there or anything, but ideally I'd love for Heisey to prove me wrong and win that job.

Neither are the bat behind Votto that this team needs, but with the way Bruce ended the year I'd hope he can be that guy. It gives a lefty-lefty in the heart of our lineup, which would allow opposing coaches to bring out their best in a big situation, but I dunno what the other option could be. Not Rolen, not Gomes, not ???

Still leaves me with some questions though. I've been of the impression that we would go after a free agent this offseason...if that isn't for a SS or LF where do we go? Bring back what we have and hope for development? I think we'll see better years from Bruce and Stubbs next year, Phillips in a different role in the lineup will likely put up better numbers as well, but looking at the rest of the offense I can't say that about anyone else.

webbbj
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
this kind of disappoints me but cant say im shocked. i just think this off season is just being way too hyped for what will probably end up w/ not much happening. its still early, they havent had winter meetings and stuff but i just dont see any big blockbuster moves happening. if ur just settling w/ gomes/heisy at LF the only real big upgrade to be made for the offense is SS and theres no one that can fill that hole unless its hanley ramirez in some crazy trade.

DocRed
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Per Cincy Enquirer......

J. Fay re: LF........

***The team will almost certainly exercise Gomes’ $1.8 million option. I think they can live with him as the main guy at the start of 2011 and
hope that Chris Heisey or Todd Frazier develops enough to take over at some point in ’11 or ’12.

That is bad news indeed......I think Gomes will have a down year similar to his production in the 2nd half of the season.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/10/14/the-left-field-question/

10-17-2010, 11:36 PM
This is pure conjecture from Fay, who has been wrong on guesses like this too many times before to be taken seriously.

The Reds are going to need another bat next season, either a leadoff hitter, or a power hitter, and the best spot for that is LF. Gomes' option might be exercised, but only because it's a good deal, even if he is RH bat off the bench. He also would make good trade bait. I'm pretty sure he will start significantly less games in LF next season than he did in 2010 for the Reds.