PDA

View Full Version : Volquez announced as Game 1 NLDS Starter

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Per Sheldon: http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/10/volquez_to_start_nlds_game_1.html

Harang will start tomorrow.

Can anyone say, WOW? Wasn't expecting that. It is a major gamble, there is no doubt about that.

membengal
10-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Could not be happier. Walt going for it, bless him.

mth123
10-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Seemed like a no brainer to me. Now lets go with Wood and then Arroyo.

membengal
10-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Seemed like a no brainer to me. Now lets go with Wood and then Arroyo.

Except for the whole Arroyo-is-the-vet thing and has playoff experience, and had a nice year. I think by-passing him for Volquez took some guts. It was the right move, but I don't think it was push-button easy, either. I love the choice, but if Volquez goes out and has one of his post-TJ can't-find-the-strike-zone outings, Walt has opened himself up for serious second-guessing.

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Personally, I think Cueto should have been the starter. He had the best year of any starter. But that's just me.

I'm surprised honestly. It's either going to look really smart or really stupid starting Volquez.

Ron Madden
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Sounds good to me.

WMR
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice!

I'm just glad it isn't Bronson.

I think rolling the dice with EV is a smart gamble, all things considered. I don't see us winning the WS without EV doing some big things, so going for the gusto is the smart, brave choice, IMO.

membengal
10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
For the record, I think Volquez has the best chance to throw a lockdown gem, and simply dominate. But could also blow up.

I love the call. In it to win it.

pedro
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Go big or stay home.

I like it.

westofyou
10-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I'd avoid Arroyo vs the LH Phillies and go with Wood, slot and match.

Caveat Emperor
10-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Highest risk/reward pick of the bunch. Volquez could dominate for 7 or he could have no command and get chased without retiring 3 batters. He wouldn't even be on my "list of 3" to start, IMO.

I'd have gone Arroyo / Wood / Cueto, but that's why I post on a message board instead of slotting rotations.

mth123
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Personally, I think Cueto should have been the starter. He had the best year of any starter. But that's just me.

I'm surprised honestly. It's either going to look really smart or really stupid starting Volquez.

But Volquez has the stuff to shut down a good team and that's what is needed. Cueto seems like a guy who would overthrow in a play-off game, get all out of whack and put the team in a hole.

I like Volquez' stuff, Wood's head and Arroyo's experience for the three man rotation.

RedsMan3203
10-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I like the move...

Cueto while having the best year for the starters could come out and over throw....

Arroyo could be getting smacked around due to a lefty heavy lineup....

Wood is just a rook, while he'll start at some point I don't think it's smart to put him into the number 1 spot..

Volkie has the stuff, the arm and everything else going for him... I'm excited to get this going..

Roy Tucker
10-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Go big or stay home.

I like it.

Yep, never up, never in. Step up to the plate and take your best cut.

Volquez has the stuff.

Reds Freak
On a side note, I'm glad to see Harang get the last start of the year. Hopefully he can give five decent innings tomorrow and go out as a Red to a standing ovation..

Brutus
Very, very surprising. I'm not sure there was a right or wrong answer to the playoff rotation, but I guess I'm OK by this. He definitely has the best upside, and since the Reds stand a great chance of seeing Roy Halladay or Tim Lincecum, might as well throw their own upside at the other team.

mth123
10-02-2010, 06:11 PM
He definitely has the best upside, and since the Reds stand a great chance of seeing Roy Halladay or Tim Lincecum, might as well throw their own upside at the other team.

Yep.

top6
10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
One downside to this season, for me, has been having to root for Volquez. I can't believe everyone is fine with our first post-season starter in 15 years being a cheater who - but for an absurd rule - shouldn't even be playing professional baseball this year.

Brutus
10-02-2010, 06:27 PM
One downside to this season, for me, has been having to root for Volquez. I can't believe everyone is fine with our first post-season starter in 15 years being a cheater who - but for an absurd rule - shouldn't even be playing professional baseball this year.

Not nearly enough known about the situation to make judgments like that. All we know is that he took some substance that was on the banned list. But seeing as how there are something like 600 substances that are banned by baseball, it very easily could have been an honest mistake. Maybe it wasn't, but we just don't know.

My belief is that he was taking something to recover from the injury. I believe it was intentional, but I also believe if medical science allows our bodies to heal from injuries sooner, is that really cheating? As long as it isn't done to give an advantage when actually on the field of play, I don't have a problem with it.

Caveat Emperor
10-02-2010, 06:28 PM

If we want to be real purists, he shouldn't ever play baseball again. He blew out his elbow and used every advantage modern medicine has to offer to make a recovery and pitch less than a year removed from the knife. Yet we're going to stamp the scarlet letter on him because he tested positive for some drug during injury rehab? Semantic nonsense, IMO.

There are lots of reasons to dislike him getting the ball in game 1, but this would be about worry #4,000 for me.

VR
10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Bring the pain. I hope the Reds and Vokie go out and punch Halladay and Phillies in a 1990 WS type of way.

That said......I hope Harang throws a perfect game tomorrow.

Captain Hook
10-02-2010, 07:05 PM

So the Reds go the whole steroid era without a winning season while having no impact player even mentioned in all that crap and now shame on them?:confused:

pedro
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM

IMO there is a world of difference between taking steroids to make you heal more quickly after major surgery and taking them to enhance your performance when you are perfectly healthy.

camisadelgolf
10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Volquez is a baseball player. It's not only his job but also his life (not that there aren't other factors involved). His cheating was more about getting back on the field sooner than it was to gain a competitive edge. I'm not saying that's acceptable, but I think it should possibly be more forgivable.

steig
10-02-2010, 07:18 PM
This is great news that Volquez is starting game one. He has the best stuff on the staff and is the best choice to go against another #1.

As far as the idea of not rooting for him because he used a ban substance. I could care less, I root for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back. My goal is to see the Reds win a World Series. I never sit at home and hope that Volquez wins a World Series or any other specific player for that reason.

kaldaniels
10-02-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm speaking this to you as I would to one of my close friends...so don't take it too personally.

Go root for the Phils then.

cincinnati chili
10-02-2010, 07:29 PM
For the record, I think Volquez has the best chance to throw a lockdown gem, and simply dominate. But could also blow up.

I love the call. In it to win it.

Exactly. I love the move. If we lose 12-1, no biggie. Halladay is going to probably be lights out, so we should throw the guy who's most likely to be lights out.

And as I posted on the other "post your rotation" thread, take a look at what Volquez did to the Phils in 2008.

wheels
10-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I was kinda worried about running Bronson out in game one anyway. He's the type of pitcher the Phillies could feast on if he's not perfect.

SirFelixCat
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Go big or stay home.

I like it.

:thumbup:

Regardless of the results, I like the move.

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I was kinda worried about running Bronson out in game one anyway. He's the type of pitcher the Phillies could feast on if he's not perfect.

I do have to agree with this. While I would have preferred Cueto, I do like Volquez pitching the game over Arroyo.

But does this mean now that Arroyo will pitch game 2? Because I think Wood and Cueto are both better options for the Phils.

Then again, we don't even know that we're playing the Phils just yet.

The Operator
10-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I like this move. We're underdogs anyway, why not throw caution to the wind?

Volquez is the one guy on this staff who could have a 1990 Jose Rijo type postseason. Yes, he could go out and get blasted, but that can be said about any of our guys. We don't really have a sure-fire shutdown pitcher, so let's go with the guy who has the stuff to be one.

As others have said, Go Big or Go Home!

Razor Shines
10-02-2010, 08:45 PM
While I disagree with him, at least top6 is being consistent.

edabbs44
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I find it a bit aggressive that they made this decision before knowing their opponent. Many are assuming the Phils, but does your reaction change if they are playing SD or SF?

MWM
10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I find it a bit aggressive that they made this decision before knowing their opponent. Many are assuming the Phils, but does your reaction change if they are playing SD or SF?

It was final last night that they'd be playing the Phils. Nothing that could happen in the last two games would change that.

edabbs44
10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
It was final last night that they'd be playing the Phils. Nothing that could happen in the last two games would change that.

The Phils aren't a lock.

MWM
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I was mistaken. What's a lock is that the Reds will not play at home in the first 2 games. At least, I think this is right.

cincinnati chili
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I was mistaken. What's a lock is that the Reds will not play at home in the first 2 games. At least, I think this is right.

That's right. If the Braves don't make the playoffs, then the Phils face the wild card team. Normally, the #1 seed faces the wild card team, but you can't have an intravisional game in the first round.

OnBaseMachine
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I like the move. Volquez is has the best stuff on the staff and has been dominating lately. It's a gamble, he could go out there and get knocked out in the second inning or he could fire up seven innings of one run baseball. It's a gamble worth taking, IMO.

I also love the move to start Aaron Harang tomorrow now that's it a meaningless game. Harang deserves the start. I would love nothing more than to see him pitch a great game and pick up a win. Harang is a classy dude and deserves to make one final start for the Reds.

dman
10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Another scenario that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that if Arroyo is the game 3 starter, wouldn't that bring him back to GABP against the Phillies lineup? Which ballpark would be most forgiving to a pitcher like Arroyo?

Slyder
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Another scenario that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that if Arroyo is the game 3 starter, wouldn't that bring him back to GABP against the Phillies lineup? Which ballpark would be most forgiving to a pitcher like Arroyo?

San Fran or Petco if I had to venture a guess without having the exact numbers.

I'm torn by Volquez. Yes he could go out there and pitch a gem he also has one of the higher clunker potentials (adrenaline or shows post TJ surgery Volquez). (Especially if we play out west) I would still go with Arroyo Game 1 the steady head let everyone get their feet wet then game 2 and beyond you can release the full force.

reds44
10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
I love this move. Props to Dusty, I thought for sure he'd go with Arroyo.

Lets get it.

Topcat
10-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Love the choice personally.

Btw the only year I so far have participated in draft of players wow can I pick Relievers or what? Sadly I was not choosing them as relievers but what the heck I am awesome lol :D

redsfandan
10-03-2010, 05:46 AM
On a side note, I'm glad to see Harang get the last start of the year. Hopefully he can give five decent innings tomorrow and go out as a Red to a standing ovation..
A nice gesture by the Reds to a guy that used to be an important part of the team but will now likely be making his last appearance as a Red.

oneupper
10-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Baker is trying to win me over. Good move.

top6
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't want to post a lot about steroids during this great time in Reds' country, but just a few things and responses to some general arguments that were made and then I will shut up.

First, I strongly disagree with the notion that using steroids to recover from an injury is less of an offense than in other circumstances. I could probably post paragraphs on this, but instead I'll just ask you to think about: (a) other MLB players, and their teams, who are injured and who didn't use banned drugs to come back faster; and (b) (and probably more importantly) high school or college kids who have been injured, who want to come back and play baseball more than anything, and who now have this wonderful example to follow.

Second, I'm not really criticizing Dusty or the Reds for doing this. The rules are the rules, and hopefully this particular rule (allowing a player to serve his suspension on the DL) will be changed, but I don't really think it's Dusty's or the Reds' job to add extra punishment or make an example out of him. They have to do what they can to win within the rules - it is their job.

Third, as for the notion that I not root for the Reds, that's obviously not going to happen. This is just a symptom of a problem that has haunted MLB for decades, and that has frankly forever tarnished the game for me. I just can't believe or accept the cowardice and lack of leadership MLB and the Union demonstrated for so long.

And those are the people I really judge. As others have already said, I have no idea what Volquez did, or thought he was doing, and even if he knew what he was doing I'd still have a lot of sympathy for someone who saw his whole professional career - and the years of work that went into it - possibly slipping away. And I'd have even more sympathy for someone like Volquez, who (while I don't know his personal story) comes from a country where the per capita income is less than $9,000.00, where succeeding at baseball in many cases could literally be a matter of life and death.

In any event, it's precisely because I understand why players would take steroids that I think it is so important for MLB and the Union to support strong, serious consequences for those who do. And they are fixing it. But this situation is a reminder of how much damage they already did to the game, and how much work they still have to do, which is sad to me.

oneupper
10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I agree with your post 100%, top6, although many here don't.
Volquez comes with dose of shame for Reds fans which isn't (or shouldn't) be simple to deal with.

UKFlounder
10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Volquez, Arroyo & Cueto in that order per Dusty, per Tom Greschan on twitter

The Voice of IH
10-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I would have gone with Chapman...but that's just me.

OnBaseMachine
10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice article on Volquez on the Reds website:

"There was a real strong feeling that Volky was tipping his pitches when his hands were set higher," Reds pitching coach Bryan Price said. "We dropped his hands down and it helped in two ways: He's not tipping pitches, No. 1. No. 2, it allows his timing to get his hands in the throwing position.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101003&content_id=15378408&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

kaldaniels
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Does rooting for Josh Hamilton bring people "shame"? No, it is a wonderful comeback.

Why the difference on EV? The only official thing/quote I heard was that it was a fertility drug to help start a family. Believeable or not, that is the only info I have. (Its not like he was hitting 60 home runs)

Why the double standard...for one of our own?

reds44
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Does rooting for Josh Hamilton bring people "shame"? No, it is a wonderful comeback.

Why the difference on EV? The only official thing/quote I heard was that it was a fertility drug to help start a family. Believeable or not, that is the only info I have. (Its not like he was hitting 60 home runs)

Why the double standard...for one of our own?
I have a theory.

But everytime I bring it up people get all offended.

It's there though. I'm sure it's because Volquez "cheated" the game or something like that, though. Everybody can root for somebody who steals from their grandma to buy crack, but if you take PEDs you are horrible.

For the record, I have no problem rooting for Volquez and didn't have a problem rooting for Hamilton.

oneupper
10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
PEDS = Cheating.
Drugs = Addiction = Illness.

There is no double standard. It's Apples and Oranges.

kaldaniels
10-04-2010, 07:04 PM
PEDS = Cheating.

I assume you do not believe it was a fertility treatment then?

oneupper
10-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I assume you do not believe it was a fertility treatment then?

I was making a general comment.

But, now, in Volquez' case, I believe the most likely reason is one we don't "likey".

reds44
10-04-2010, 07:18 PM
PEDS = Cheating.

Whatever it was that Volquez tested postive for is not as bad as being a crackhead.

If you believe that it is, then wow, just wow.

pedro
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
nm

Homer Bailey
10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Reds are +190 in game one (Phillies are -210). That's about as significant of an underdog as you'll find in the postseason.

oneupper
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Whatever it was that Volquez tested postive for is not as bad as being a crackhead.

Read again. Apples and Oranges means different. Not comparable.
You are entitled to prefer one over another and even do so conditionally.
I like oranges better than apples in the morning.
I have more tolerance for junkies than cheaters in baseball.
If we're talking about a potential son-in-law, it would be different.
That's just me, I guess.
Not seeing the "wow" factor.

I will drop this now, reluctantly. And, yes, I will root for Edinson, using "fan logic" (now, there's an oxymoron) to rationalize whatever he may have done or not done in the past.

Go REDS!

Cedric
10-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Can we relax on the crackhead stuff? I'm not trying to belittle your point. Just try and show some empathy or understanding.

Chip R
10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Getting back to the matter at hand, the Phillies aren't invincible. This isn't the 27 Yankees we are facing. Yeah, we got swept in Philly but all the games were close and we took 2 of 3 in Cincinnati and beat Halliday. I've checked the stats and none of their pitchers have a 0.00 ERA. None of their batters are batting 1.000 either.

People talk about parallels with 1990. The Reds weren't given a chance against the A's but ended up sweeping them. This team won 91 games this year. I don't care who you are playing against, that's impressive. I'm not taking anything away from the Phillies. Their rotation is impressive and so is their lineup. But they can be beaten. There's no doubt in my mind that the Reds can beat them.

kaldaniels
10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Getting back to the matter at hand, the Phillies aren't invincible. This isn't the 27 Yankees we are facing. Yeah, we got swept in Philly but all the games were close and we took 2 of 3 in Cincinnati and beat Halliday. I've checked the stats and none of their pitchers have a 0.00 ERA. None of their batters are batting 1.000 either.

People talk about parallels with 1990. The Reds weren't given a chance against the A's but ended up sweeping them. This team won 91 games this year. I don't care who you are playing against, that's impressive. I'm not taking anything away from the Phillies. Their rotation is impressive and so is their lineup. But they can be beaten. There's no doubt in my mind that the Reds can beat them.

That's a winning post. Nicely done Chip.

Tommyjohn25
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Agreed 100% Let them be underdogs. Nobody gave us a chance to win the division this year either. I feel it. I feel it all the way to my core, that not only will the Reds win 1 in Philly, but they will win 2. Wednesdays game will go down to the bullpens and will likely be a 1-2 run difference. Friday, the Reds will explode on Oswalt and shellshock the biased sports media and the whole town of Philly, who will undoubtedly boo everything that moves. Once the series goes back to Cincy, it's over. The Reds win the series either Sunday or Monday, shut up the critics, and the town will believe more than ever that this team is in it to win it. They have the talent, they have the heart, and they have the backing of a great fan base who has been lying dormant for over a decade, and baby, we're ready to explode. I believe. I'm done doubting. I believe in this team with every bone in my body, and there's something about this series that makes me feel the Phillies think they already have it won. They got another thing coming. They WILL deliver the first haymaker on Wednesday and knock the Phillies back on their heels, then deliver the 1-2 punch to put them on their arrogant behinds in front of a sold-out GABP crowd next week. We got this.

Down goes Frazier.

Ron Madden
10-05-2010, 05:14 AM

'Atta Boy Chip!

If The Reds can just take one of the first two games played in "The City Of Brotherly Love" I have a feeling they can go all the way.

The Phillies were a hard club to beat during the season of 1976 but the Reds jumped on'em and swept them in a three game playoff. It very well could happen again. :beerme:

Caveat Emperor
10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
So, apparently starting a RHP with major control problems against a lineup of patient, predominantly LH, hitters is a terrible idea.

CrackerJack
10-06-2010, 10:47 PM
So, apparently starting a RHP with major control problems against a lineup of patient, predominantly LH, hitters is a terrible idea.

But he's cool as a cucumber and has post-season experience in the Dominican.

sivman17
10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Would've loved to have seen how this game played out if Travis Wood would've started.

Who would've thought a guy who took a perfect game into the 9th inning against a team would come out and pitch well against them again?

Eric_the_Red
10-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Would've loved to have seen how this game played out if Travis Wood would've started.

Who would've thought a guy who took a perfect game into the 9th inning against a team would come out and pitch well against them again?

Unless you think Travis Wood was going to throw a shutout, it doesn't look like the final outcome would have been any different. You don't get any hits, you don't win.

membengal
10-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Seriously, CE? It was a high upside high downside move. Given that one run was too much against Halladay, I think the right call was made. Whoever started for Cincy had to be dominant and EV was the best choice to try with his stuff.

One run was too much.