PDA

View Full Version : Volquez named Game One starter:

texasdave
10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
From Mark Sheldon via ORG:

Some surprising news came down after Saturday's 7-4 win over the Brewers

Dusty Baker revealed Aaron Harang would start the regular season finale instead of Edinson Volquez. Why is that? It's because Volquez was named the Game 1 starter for the NLDS.

Stray
10-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow that's a bit surprising. I'm not upset about it or anything since he's been pitching very well lately.

Since we'll be on the road to start, I would rather have Volquez and Arroyo pitching on the road, with Cueto and Wood (or whoever) pitching at home. I just like Cueto at home more than I do in a hostile environment.

Kingspoint
10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
OK.

I wonder if they've already decided on what to do about Travis Wood.

That may depend on whether we're playing Philly or not.

mlh1981
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Fine by me.

He can go out and dominate on any given day, while matching someone else's ace.

FlyerFanatic
10-02-2010, 07:40 PM
could be wrong on this, but we'rent arroyo's numbers kind of shaky against the phillies?

TheBigLebowski
10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Arroyo was my choice but, hell - let's face it - Volquez, when he is right, has the best stuff on the staff. Arroyo has more experience but it's not like anyone on this staff has a bevy of post-season experience. We'll be big underdogs against Philly anyway. May as well gamble a bit.

Still, I must say...3 weeks ago, had someone told me EV would not only be in the post-season rotation but, the opener, I'd have thunk he or she crazy.

DocRed
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
could be wrong on this, but we'rent arroyo's numbers kind of shaky against the phillies?

Not for sure anymore who we will play...

arkimadee
10-02-2010, 08:19 PM
I like this move. If we play Philly the goal is to go down there and take 1 of 2. If Volquez has his best stuff he can compete with Halliday. If not then we chalk the game up. He has a chance to be lights out if he pitches like he has been. Then you start Bronson for game 2 against Oswalt. A much better chance we get some run support for our stud Bronson and he can take us deep into that game. It gives us a better chance to take 1 of 2 I think

arkimadee
10-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I like this move. If we play Philly the goal is to go down there and take 1 of 2. If Volquez has his best stuff he can compete with Halliday. If not then we chalk the game up. He has a chance to be lights out if he pitches like he has been. Then you start Bronson for game 2 against Oswalt. A much better chance we get some run support for our stud Bronson and he can take us deep into that game. It gives us a better chance to take 1 of 2 I think
right now that's a definate IF WE PLAY PHILLY.. because now the chances are almost better that we won't... I guess that's why you play games

Kingspoint
10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
If Atlanta wins or San Fran wins we play Philly.

I hope Atlanta loses and San Diego wins and we play San Diego.

R_Webb18
10-02-2010, 09:49 PM
he will be on what 8 days rest is that good or bad?

DocRed
10-02-2010, 10:03 PM
If Atlanta wins or San Fran wins we play Philly.

I hope Atlanta loses and San Diego wins and we play San Diego.

Not true...

If Atlanta wins and SD wins there will be a 1 game playoff for the wildcard.

If SF wins and Atlanta loses....same situation.

Kingspoint
10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Not true...

If Atlanta wins and SD wins there will be a 1 game playoff for the wildcard.

If SF wins and Atlanta loses....same situation.

I just noticed that.

Tomorrow will be fun.

Go Padres!

NeilHamburger
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Honestly, I'd rather play the Phillies then go all the way to San Fran and face Cain and Lincecum in games 1 and 2. I just don't see the Reds beating either of those two in that park.

In Philly, it's similary to GABP, and I think the Reds have a better shot at doing something in that park. If either Halladay or Oswalt aren't on the top of their game I could see the Reds winning one of those two.

But, ideally they face the Padres. I think they would take 1 of 2 in San Diego, and would win the next 2 in GABP.

Also, I'd start Arroyo game 1 in San Diego. I think he would dominate in that park in a big game.

redssince75
10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Huh...this is exactly what I said in other threads Dusty should or would do, including starting Harang. Give me my own MLB team, somebody.

aldotcs
10-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Volquez is good with me. If he keeps pitching like he has lately, it'll be good to have a good chance at a win and be 1-0.

Stray
10-03-2010, 02:36 AM
When Volquez is on, he has the stuff to match up with the best in the game. From that stand point it makes sense, and if he's off and we lose...well then we have Arroyo and Cueto lined up against a 2 and 3.

It's a gamble on which Volquez shows up and how he responds to the pressure, but if we're in it to win it, then this is the right move.

Natty Redlocks
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Huh...this is exactly what I said in other threads Dusty should or would do, including starting Harang. Give me my own MLB team, somebody.

Hey, you're right. Good call.

texasdave
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Manager Dusty Baker announced on Sunday that he will start Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo and Johnny Cueto in the first three games. The NL Central champions will open on the road against either the Phillies or the NL West championRead more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/10/03/reds.rotation.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz11KH8278M