PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (10/3/10): Past Lineups--feat. '40 WS, '70 NLCS & '95 NLDS

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
70 years ago (1940), a 5-3 win in Game 2 of the World Series at Crosley Field vs. the Tigers.

Detroit
Dick Bartell ss
Barney McCosky cf
Charlie Gehringer 2b
Hank Greenberg lf
Rudy York 1b
Bruce Campbell rf
Pinky Higgins 3b
Birdie Tebbetts c
Schoolboy Rowe p

Cincinnati
Billy Werber 3b
Mike McCormick cf
Ival Goodman rf
Frank McCormick 1b
Jimmy Ripple lf
Jimmie Wilson c
Eddie Joost 2b
Billy Myers ss
Bucky Walters p

WP: Bucky Walters (1-0)
LP: Schoolboy Rowe (0-1)
HR: CIN - Jimmy Ripple (1).

Bucky Walters pitched a complete-game three-hitter to get the win for the Reds, who evened the best-of-seven Series at 1-1. The only hits for the Tigers were an RBI single by Charlie Gehringer with nobody out in the first inning, a leadoff double by Pinky Higgins in the fifth, and a one-out RBI double by Hank Greenberg in the sixth.

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
45 years ago (1965), a 6-3 loss at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

Cincinnati
Tommy Harper lf
Pete Rose 2b
Vada Pinson cf
Frank Robinson rf
Deron Johnson 3b
Don Pavletich c
Tony Perez 1b
Leo Cardenas ss
Billy McCool p

San Francisco
Tito Fuentes ss
Willie McCovey 1b
Willie Mays cf
Jim Ray Hart lf
Jesus Alou rf
Jim Davenport 3b
Hal Lanier 2b
Bob Barton c
Dick Estelle p

WP: Bobby Bolin (14-6)
LP: Billy McCool (9-10)
HR: SF - Willie Mays (52).

The Reds concluded the season in fourth place in the NL with an 89-73 record, finishing 8 games behind the Dodgers.

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 06:25 PM
40 years ago (1970), a 3-0 10-inning win in Game 1 of the NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose rf
Bobby Tolan cf
Tony Perez 3b
Johnny Bench c
Lee May 1b
Bernie Carbo lf
Tommy Helms 2b
Woody Woodward ss
Gary Nolan p

Pittsburgh
Matty Alou cf
Dave Cash 2b
Roberto Clemente rf
Willie Stargell lf
Al Oliver 1b
Manny Sanguillen c
Richie Hebner 3b
Gene Alley ss
Dock Ellis p

WP: Gary Nolan (1-0)
LP: Dock Ellis (0-1)
Sv: Clay Carroll (1)
HR: None.

Gary Nolan and Clay Carroll combined on a eight-hit shutout to get the win for the Reds, who took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-five series. The Reds broke the 0-0 deadlock in the top of the tenth inning when Ty Cline led off with a pinch-hit triple and scored on a single by Pete Rose. Two outs later with Rose on second, Johnny Bench was walked intentionally, and Lee May delivered a two-run double.

mth123
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
40 years ago (1970), a 3-0 10-inning win in Game 1 of the NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose rf
Bobby Tolan cf
Tony Perez 3b
Johnny Bench c
Lee May 1b
Bernie Carbo lf
Tommy Helms 2b
Woody Woodward ss
Gary Nolan p

Pittsburgh
Matty Alou cf
Dave Cash 2b
Roberto Clemente rf
Willie Stargell lf
Al Oliver 1b
Manny Sanguillen c
Richie Hebner 3b
Gene Alley ss
Dock Ellis p

WP: Gary Nolan (1-0)
LP: Dock Ellis (0-1)
Sv: Clay Carroll (1)

Gary Nolan and Clay Carroll combined on a eight-hit shutout to get the win for the Reds, who took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-five series. The Reds broke the 0-0 deadlock in the top of the tenth inning when Ty Cline led off with a pinch-hit triple and scored on a single by Pete Rose. Two outs later with Rose on second, Johnny Bench was walked intentionally, and Lee May delivered a two-run double.

I remember Ty Cline's triple like it was yesterday. Hard to believe its been 40 years.

Dang I'm an old fart.

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
30 years ago (1980), a 4-1 loss at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Braves.

Atlanta
Jerry Royster lf
Rafael Ramirez ss
Terry Harper rf
Bob Horner 3b
Chris Chambliss 1b
Dale Murphy cf
glenn Hubbard 2b
Bruce Benedict c
Tommy Boggs p

Cincinnati
Dave Collins cf
Ron Oester ss
Ken Griffey rf
George Foster lf
Dan Driessen 1b
Ray Knight 3b
Joe Nolan c
Junior Kennedy 2b
Mario Soto p

WP: Tommy Boggs (12-9)
LP: Mario Soto (10-8)
Sv: Rick Camp (22)
HR: ATL - Dale Murphy (32).

Tommy Boggs and Rick Camp combined on a six-hitter for the Braves. Mario Soto and Doug Bair combined on a five-hitter in a losing effort for the Reds.

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
25 years ago (1985), a 9-4 loss at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego.

Cincinnati
Eddie Milner cf
Paul O'Neill lf
Dave Parker rf
Nick Esasky 1b
Wayne Krenchicki 3b
Ron Oester 2b
Dave Van Gorder c
Tom Runnells ss
Jay Tibbs p

San Diego
Tim Flannery 2b
Tony Gwynn rf
Steve Garvey 1b
Graig Nettles 3b
Terry Kennedy c
Carmelo Martinez lf
Kevin McReynolds cf
Mario Ramirez ss
Andy Hawkins p

WP: Andy Hawkins (18-8)
LP: Jay Tibbs (10-16)
HR: CIN - Dave Parker (32). SD - Tony Gwynn (6), Carmelo Martinez (21).

Andy Hawkins pitched a complete-game eight-hitter to get the win for the Padres. Paul O'Neill made his first major-league start in this game. Pete Rose did not play.

Pete Rose: 4204
Ty Cobb: 4191

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
20 years ago (1990), a 3-2 loss at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Astros.

Houston
Eric Yelding cf
Casey Candaele 2b
Craig Biggio c
Glenn Davis 1b
Franklin Stubbs lf
Ken Caminiti 3b
Mark Davidson rf
Andujar Cedeño ss
Randy Hennis p

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Herm Winningham cf
Paul O'Neill rf
Eric Davis lf
Hal Morris 1b
Luis Quiñones 3b
Mariano Duncan 2b
Joe Oliver c
Danny Jackson p

WP: Dave Smith (6-6)
LP: Tim Birtsas (1-3)

Randy Hennis, Juan Agosto, and Dave Smith combined on a four-hitter for the Astros. The only hits for the Reds were a one-out double by Ron Oester in the sixth inning, a leadoff single by Eric Davis in the seventh, a two-out double by Oester in the eighth, and a two-out RBI single by Paul O'Neill in the eighth. Catcher Glenn Sutko made his major-league debut in this game, and lefthanded reliever Tim Birtsas made his final major-league appearance. The Reds finished the season as the NL West Champions, going wire-to-wire with a 91-71 record, 5 games ahead of the Dodgers. The Reds would face the NL East Champion Pirates in the NLCS, with Game 1 to be played in Cincinnati on October 4.

Big Klu
10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
15 years ago (1995), a 7-2 win in Game 1 of the NLDS at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Cincinnati
Thomas Howard cf
Barry Larkin ss
Ron Gant lf
Reggie Sanders rf
Hal Morris 1b
Benito Santiago c
Bret Boone 2b
Jeff Branson 3b
Pete Schourek p

Los Angeles
Brett Butler cf
Chad Fonville ss
Mike Piazza c
Eric Karros 1b
Tim Wallach 3b
Raul Mondesi rf
Delino DeShields 2b
Roberto Kelly lf
Ramon Martinez p

WP: Pete Schourek (1-0)
LP: Ramon Martinez (0-1)
HR: CIN - Benito Santiago (1). LA - Mike Piazza (1).

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-five series as they jumped on Ramon Martinez for four runs in the first inning and never looked back, thanks to a two-run double by Hal Morris and a two-run homer by Benito Santiago.

I was unable to watch any of the 1995 postseason, as MLB experimented with the television format and started all postseason games at the same time. My local affiliate caught the biggest case of Indians Bandwagon Fever you ever saw, and chose to televise all of the Tribe's games instead of the Reds--cementing my distain for all things Cleveland.

cumberlandreds
10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
15 years ago (1995), a 7-2 win in Game 1 of the NLDS at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Cincinnati
Thomas Howard cf
Barry Larkin ss
Ron Gant lf
Reggie Sanders rf
Hal Morris 1b
Benito Santiago c
Bret Boone 2b
Jeff Branson 3b
Pete Schourek p

Los Angeles
Brett Butler cf
Chad Fonville ss
Mike Piazza c
Eric Karros 1b
Tim Wallach 3b
Raul Mondesi rf
Delino DeShields 2b
Roberto Kelly lf
Ramon Martinez p

WP: Pete Schourek (1-0)
LP: Ramon Martinez (0-1)
HR: CIN - Benito Santiago (1). LA - Mike Piazza (1).

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-five series as they jumped on Ramon Martinez for four runs in the first inning and never looked back, thanks to a two-run double by Hal Morris and a two-run homer by Benito Santiago.

I was unable to watch any of the 1995 postseason, as MLB experimented with the television format and started all postseason games at the same time. My local affiliate caught the biggest case of Indians Bandwagon Fever you ever saw, and chose to televise all of the Tribe's games instead of the Reds--cementing my distain for all things Cleveland.

I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't see the Reds play because of this stupid regional coverage MLB had this season. You would have thought after not having post season baseball the year before that MLB would have done anything to have made all the games viewable for everyone.

cumberlandreds
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
I remember Ty Cline's triple like it was yesterday. Hard to believe its been 40 years.

Dang I'm an old fart.

This was the year before I started following baseball. But I remember the 1971 Topps Cards of this game with Ty Cline sliding into home,IIRC.

RedsBaron
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Dang I'm an old fart.

I remember it too. It is really the only thing I can recall about Ty Cline.