PDA

View Full Version : Jared Burton's perfect season

BCubb2003
10-03-2010, 07:30 PM
He only appeared in four games, but he gave up no hits, walks or runs. Over a full season, that projects to ... wow.

Reds Freak
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
He only appeared in four games, but he gave up no hits, walks or runs. Over a full season, that projects to ... wow.

I'm not sure why he wasn't given more of a chance this year, I've always liked Burton...

jojo
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Burton's feat pales in comparison to Franklin Gutierrez's perfect season... 415 total chances this season without a single error for a fielding PCT of 1.000.

Brutus
10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Burton's feat pales in comparison to Franklin Gutierrez's perfect season... 415 total chances this season without a single error for a fielding PCT of 1.000.

Did Jesus brag when he walked on water?

Cedric
10-03-2010, 09:23 PM
At least one thing went right for the Mariners.

jojo
10-03-2010, 09:31 PM
At least one thing went right for the Mariners.

Between that, Felix every 5th day, Lee until he was traded and watching Ichiro cruise to the HOF, it's bearable especially given it was a historically absurd season and its only a temporary situation in Seattle and they've got some exciting youngsters due to pay their dues next season so it'll be fun to watch them try and hang.

Besides two out of three of my teams won their divisions and could end up in the world series. Not many people can claim that comfort.

GADawg
10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
is next season the year that Burton finally lives up to his potential? I hope so...I really like the guy too

mth123
10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
is next season the year that Burton finally lives up to his potential? I hope so...I really like the guy too

Not sure there will be room in Cincy. Cordero, Masset, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Lecure as a long man and some lefty's might make him an odd man out. He made $850K as a minor leaguer and he is arb eligible. He won't be so expensive that they'll turn him loose IMO, but there is a crowd down there that needs some thinning if you add Bray, Herrera, Fisher, Smith, Maloney and maybe Chapman, Rhodes or some other replacement for Rhodes.

Mario-Rijo
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Between that, Felix every 5th day, Lee until he was traded and watching Ichiro cruise to the HOF, it's bearable especially given it was a historically absurd season and its only a temporary situation in Seattle and they've got some exciting youngsters due to pay their dues next season so it'll be fun to watch them try and hang.

Besides two out of three of my teams won their divisions and could end up in the world series. Not many people can claim that comfort.

I can do you one better, one out of one of my teams won their division and could end up in the world series. ;)

camisadelgolf
10-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Can you name the last Red to pitch and not allow a baserunner the entire year?
Click here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrile01.shtml) for the answer.

traderumor
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Besides two out of three of my teams won their divisions and could end up in the world series. Not many people can claim that comfort.That's because most people are in monogamous relationships for the sports they follow. Are you old school Mormon?;)

jojo
10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
That's because most people are in monogamous relationships for the sports they follow. Are you old school Mormon?;)

For better or for worse, I've had roots in several markets during my life/career. That said, I've actually known very few fans of any sport who only rooted for a single team to the exclusion of all other things going on in the sport. I love baseball. If loving baseball too much is wrong, I don't want to be right.

OnBaseMachine
10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
For better or for worse, I've had roots in several markets during my life/career. That said, I've actually known very few fans of any sport who only rooted for a single team to the exclusion of all other things going on in the sport. I love baseball. If loving baseball too much is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Really? Because I've actually known very few fans who root for more than one team. I watch a ton of baseball, the Reds, plus the other 29 teams when they are on and the Reds aren't playing, but I only root for one team. I'm a diehard Reds fan and I could never have a second or third favorite team. You are one of the very few MLB fans I've seen who roots for more than one team. I've seen plenty of college basketball/football fans root for more than one team but never a MLB fan. I'm not trying to diss you or anything I'm just saying it's rare to see someone have two or three favorite MLB teams.

jojo
10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Really? Because I've actually known very few fans who root for more than one team. I watch a ton of baseball, the Reds, plus the other 29 teams when they are on and the Reds aren't playing, but I only root for one team. I'm a diehard Reds fan and I could never have a second or third favorite team. You are one of the very few MLB fans I've seen who roots for more than one team. I've seen plenty of college basketball/football fans root for more than one team but never a MLB fan. I'm not trying to diss you or anything I'm just saying it's rare to see someone have two or three favorite MLB teams.

Seriously? I've always had a favorite national league and american league team since being old enough to know the difference between the two leagues. I know a ton of people who are the same way.

I've most recently spent alot of time watching minor league activity in Mobile/Montgomery/Birmingham/Hunstville which is great because I get exposed to the Reds farm quite a bit. Why wouldn't I be a Rays fan when I love the under dog, they had Lou when my interest began in earnest, they rarely conflict with the Ms and certainly never the Reds (maybe this year?) and I get to see their player development system so much?

sonny
10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Can you name the last Red to pitch and not allow a baserunner the entire year?
Click here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrile01.shtml) for the answer.

Paul Janish?

camisadelgolf
10-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Paul Janish?
Janish was on his way as he retired the first batter he faced last year, but thanks to an unsustainable BABIP, runners somehow managed to get on base against him.

traderumor
10-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Seriously? I've always had a favorite national league and american league team since being old enough to know the difference between the two leagues. I know a ton of people who are the same way.

I've most recently spent alot of time watching minor league activity in Mobile/Montgomery/Birmingham/Hunstville which is great because I get exposed to the Reds farm quite a bit. Why wouldn't I be a Rays fan when I love the under dog, they had Lou when my interest began in earnest, they rarely conflict with the Ms and certainly never the Reds (maybe this year?) and I get to see their player development system so much?I tried having a back up team other than my favorites so that when my team wasn't doing well I had a fall back team when I was young. However, I clearly never had the passion for the backup team as I did for the Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes, so I finally gave up the fan polygamy.