PDA

View Full Version : Matt Murton?

GoReds
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Matt Murton is playing in Japan and is set to break Ichiro's record for hits in a single season (currently has 210). The guy is 28 years old and really has never been given much of a chance in MLB, although his career line is .286/.352/.436.

Possible LF replacement? I doubt he would be overly expensive.

GADawg
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
could be next season's Tuffy Rhodes!

Homer Bailey
10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry, I have to laugh at the timing of this post. :D

cincinnati chili
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, I have to laugh at the timing of this post. :D

I actually admire the thinking ahead. He will be at the very least a good 4th outfielder if given the chance.

GADawg
10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
the last thing we need is another Jonny Gomes is the the devil thread and I get tired of defending him anyway BUT for some reason I can't help myself. 'Ole Jonny had himself a fine season albeit kinda hot and cold but despite what his detractors say I gotta think that as many times as we've heard how important he has been to the team that maybe there's something to it.

The enthusiasm, hustle, and comradarie might not mean much to the number crunchers around here but if the inner circle of players and management point to it as an integral part of a being a winner then I'm gonna defer to them and believe that Jonny deserves a little more credit than he gets....I guess even during a winning season there has to be a whipping boy

Chip R
10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
The enthusiasm, hustle, and comradarie might not mean much to the number crunchers around here but if the inner circle of players and management point to it as an integral part of a being a winner then I'm gonna defer to them and believe that Jonny deserves a little more credit than he gets....I guess even during a winning season there has to be a whipping boy

Why do you have to do this in every post you write? It's really annoying.

jojo
10-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Murton is a great idea....

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1959681&postcount=7

In his sort career in the bigs, he's beat up lefties and is a league average hitter against righties... he's also a nifty fielder. It's reasonable to suggest he could be a league average player.

He has an above average glove and on base skills. He's just not a good enough defender to play center and doesn't have cliche leftfield power.

The Reds have cliche left power power who has below average leather and on base skills.. Murton could be as much as a 2 WAR upgrade over a full season in GABP.

GADawg
10-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Why do you have to do this in every post you write? It's really annoying.

sorry I annoyed you...I think I'll sit the rest of this season out. I haven't posted much here in the last couple of years(though I read most everything) but until I started posting on this board I didn't realize how little I know. Thanks for setting me straight.

btw to answer your question I do it 'cause I get annoyed that everyone dogs Gomes all the time.

RedsManRick
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I've been on the Murton bandwagon for a while now. He's a classic case of being undervalued because of what he's not. I find it funny that the Cubs brought in Fukudome to replace Murton...

pedro
10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I always liked Murton and am surprised he ended up in Japan. I think he'd be an excellent target for the Reds.

Spitball
10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
could be next season's Tuffy Rhodes!

I like this idea. At one time, I was convinced he had great potential. Didn't he once hit an opening day homerun against the Reds?

reds44
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Put me in the camp of somebody who has always liked Murton.

Brutus
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
It felt like Matt Murton had several opportunities, and didn't make the most of them hence the reason he's now in Japan in the first place.

But looking back on his career thus far, I was surprised in hindsight how few opportunities he got after his first few seasons with the Cubs. Everytime he landed with a new team, he didn't get a ton of plate appearances to do much. Granted, he didn't do much with his opportunities, but I had thought he had more of a chance than that.

Phhhl
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
When Billy Beane couldn't make it work, a flag went up. He seemed like the ideal Moneyball guy. The Reds ought to be able to fill the left field job next year with someone who features more power than Murton. If he wants to come back to America on a modest deal and compete for a job, that's just fine. But, I wouldn't invest much in that guy.

Chip R
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
It felt like Matt Murton had several opportunities, and didn't make the most of them hence the reason he's now in Japan in the first place.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. That's not to say that the time in Japan hasn't helped his game out but I'm pretty skeptical he can do some good. Of course there's nothing wrong with giving him a NRI.

Scrap Irony
10-04-2010, 12:21 AM
When Billy Beane couldn't make it work, a flag went up. He seemed like the ideal Moneyball guy. The Reds ought to be able to fill the left field job next year with someone who features more power than Murton. If he wants to come back to America on a modest deal and compete for a job, that's just fine. But, I wouldn't invest much in that guy.

Doubt he gets offered more than a couple million. With the Reds' power at other positions (Votto, Stubbs, Bruce, Rolen, Phillips, perhaps Mesoraco and Cozart), Morton might end up a solid choice.

I'd kick the tires.

(Having said that, he is at least the sixth LF I would be okay with. That tells me two things: 1) LF is an obvious weak link, and 2) I need to make up my mind.