PDA

View Full Version : Your game 1 lineup?

RockyBalboa
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi, Phillies fan here. Congrats on making it back to the postseason, this should be a fun series. :)

I'm not here to troll, just here to have a good mature discussion about the series.

Any questions you guys have about the Phils just fire away. :thumbup:

What is the Reds lineup going to look like for game 1 against Doc?

Ruiz got hit hard in the elbow today but will probably be ok for game 1. Not sure if Manuel will lead off Rollins because he is still rusty but our 8 barring injuries will stay the same the entire series as we don't platoon left vs right etc.,,

Victorino
Polanco
Utley
Howard
Werth
Ibanez
Rollins
Ruiz

Starters will be Doc,Oswalt,Cole,Doc,Oswalt

The pen will probably be limited to 4 pitchers Manuel really trusts. Durbin & Contreras for middle relief. Madson and Lidge for the 8th and 9th with normal starter Blanton getting some limited action. The rest of our bullpen is pretty bad and probably won't see much time unless there is a blowout.

arkimadee
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome. The lineup is kind of up in the air but I think this will be close.

1. Phillips -2b
2. Cabrera - SS
3- Votto -1b
4- Rolen - 3b
5- Bruce - RF
6- Gomes - LF
7 - Stubbs - CF
8- Hernandez - C
9- Volquez- P

Other Starters - Arroyo(R), Cueto(R)
Reserves - Janish (IF) Cairo (IF) Nix (OF) Heisey (OF) and maybe Edmonds (OF)

Bullpen will probably include - Long Men - Wood(L), Bailey(R). Middle Relief - Ondrusek(R) and Bray(L), 7th Inning -Masset (R), Rhodes (L) 8th Inning - Chapman (L) Closer - Cordero (R)

arkimadee
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
How has Hamels looked his last few starts?? I know he was very hot there for a while but I saw he gave up a few in Atlanta today.

RockyBalboa
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Wow, you guys are loaded with lefties in the pen. :eek: That is one flaw we have. We don't have a good lefty out of the pen.

Cole pitched 2 scoreless today but struggled a little in his last outing against the Braves allowing about 5 runs.

He has been really good the 2nd half of the season. He has about a 2.00 ERA in his last 15 starts.

NeilHamburger
10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I think a lot depends on Jim Edmonds. If he can run on Monday you guys will get a healthy dose of Jimmy Ballgame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

redsfan_12
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Welcome. The lineup is kind of up in the air but I think this will be close.

1. Phillips -2b
2. Cabrera - SS
3- Votto -1b
4- Rolen - 3b
5- Bruce - RF
6- Gomes - LF
7 - Stubbs - CF
8- Hernandez - C
9- Volquez- P

Looks about right... I hope Bruce bats before Gomes

NeilHamburger
10-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I would love to see Bruce in the 2 hole in front of Votto and Rolen. But, I seriously doubt it will happen.

The lineup I hope for against Halladay and Oswalt would be:

Phillips
Bruce
Votto
Rolen
Edmonds
Stubbs
Orlando
Hernandez

bridge_to_lidge
10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
How has Hamels looked his last few starts?? I know he was very hot there for a while but I saw he gave up a few in Atlanta today.

Hi all.
Hamels was really dominant until his last start before the start today, where he gave up like 5 runs in 4 innings which was the only loss for h2o in september.
Cole only pitched 2 innings today, with out giving up any runs.
Don't let his record fool you, he has had a great year and could easily have more wins than he does.
Oswalt has been a different pitcher since he was traded to Philadelphia, and is using his change up much more than you guys are probably used to. I can't wait for Wed:D

NeilHamburger
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Is anyone taking the Reds seriously in Philly?

I think even most Reds fans would admit Philly is the better team overall in terms of talent, but there is always that hope that anything could happen in a short series.

bridge_to_lidge
10-04-2010, 12:00 AM

I think even most Reds fans would admit Philly is the better team overall in terms of talent, but there is always that hope that anything could happen in a short series.

To be honest with you, not really. And thats not anything against the Reds, its just that the Phillies have had a million injuries and still had the best record with 97 wins. The NL central is viewed as a week division, so most people are thinking a sweep or a Phillies win in 4. I agree that it is a short series and anything can happen.

Prf15
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
I would go with

Phillips, 2B
Hanigan, C
Votto, 1B
Bruce, RF
Rolen, 3B
Edmonds, LF(if ready)
Stubbs, CF
Cabrera, SS
(Pitcher)

but I know it won't happen.

NeilHamburger
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
I say this as a Reds fan, and I don't even mean to sound defeated, just realistic. But, if both teams play to their potential I think the Phillies win in 3 or 4.

The Reds hope is that:

1. For whatever reason Philly doesn't play up to potential
2. An amazing performance from someone other then Votto (I can't imagine Charlie letting him beat the Phillies)

RockyBalboa
10-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Yes, especially in a short 5 game series. Same thing with the opening series we had with Colorado last year, those best of 5's don't give you much room for error. Expectations are really high here though and most fans expect a return to the WS anything less would be seen as a disappointing season with our talent level. Our players probably feel the same way that is why the division clinch celebration for the Phils was somewhat laid back.

goreds2
10-04-2010, 12:19 AM
To be honest with you, not really. And thats not anything against the Reds, its just that the Phillies have had a million injuries and still had the best record with 97 wins. The NL central is viewed as a week division, so most people are thinking a sweep or a Phillies win in 4. I agree that it is a short series and anything can happen.

We gotcha where we want ya. :castellini:

WestSideBomber
10-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Question for those Phillies fans on here. What is the best Phillies forum on the interwebs?

RockyBalboa
10-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Question for those Phillies fans on here. What is the best Phillies forum on the interwebs?

Philaphans is good....

http://eaglesphans.com/community/index.php?/forum/1-phillies-clubhouse/

Also Phillysportscentral....
http://www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Phillies-Message-Board-amp-Discussion-Forum

Our local sports talk radio is available online. It is mostly Eagles talk right now but will have plenty of Phillies & Reds discussion as the series nears. 610 WIP that link is below.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/station/610-wip/

Does Cincy have an online sportstalk radio feed?

bridge_to_lidge
10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Philaphans is good....

http://www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Phillies-Message-Board-amp-Discussion-Forum

Our local sports talk radio is available online. It is mostly Eagles talk right now but will have plenty of Phillies & Reds discussion as the series nears. 610 WIP that link is below.

PSC>PP by a lot.

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Phils fans-

How much do you think the Phils will pitch to Votto? Only walk him in very specific spots or is he gonna get the Bonds treatment this series?

Back to the point of the thread.... my lineup is probably right with Dusty and would be...
Phillips
Cabrera
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Gomes
Stubbs
Hannigan
Volquez

I would consider any of the other outfielders over Gomes, but we're not going to win on talent alone against Philly so lets try to maximize the chemistry/mojo out there. Besides, he just seems like the kind of guy that would step up in that spot and run into one.

mr. red
10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't see why people aren't putting Stubbs at leadoff at least to begin the series. The guy is seeing the ball so well...

I would have to go with...

1. Stubbs
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Rolen
5. Bruce
6. Gomes/Nix
7. O-Cab
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't see why people aren't putting Stubbs at leadoff at least to begin the series. The guy is seeing the ball so well...

1. Stubbs
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Rolen
5. Bruce
6. Gomes/Nix
7. O-Cab
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

That would be ok with me too, but to answer your question it is a combo of...

A. not wanting to mess with him when he's been great lower in the lineup
B. his inexperience combined with the pressure of the situation
C. his SBs threats are more useful in front of Hannigan/Volquez than possibly running into outs and/or opening 1st base for Votto

Girevik
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
The way Bruce is swinging the bat, I think I'd move him up to 4 (I know....thou shalt not bat lefties back-to-back).

CySeymour
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Rocky, I appreciate the civil discussion! Kudos!

SwingOnThis
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
The fans aren't really taking the Reds seriously but you can bet your ass that those 25 guys in the Phillies clubhouse are and they will be ready to defend their home turf. CBP is going to be an off the charts crazy happy hour party.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
The Reds have never had to deal with an environment like playoffs in CBP.

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
The Reds have never had to deal with an environment like playoffs

Fixed your post for you. Unless you mean historically, in which case you are insane.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I meant the current team. Phillies fans have gotten in Sabathia's head. Imagine what they will do to Cueto and Volquez.

ochre
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I meant the current team. Phillies fans have gotten in Sabathia's head. Imagine what they will do to Cueto and Volquez.
The Reds have some key players that have significant playoff experience. Those players have been cited as influential in the development of the younger players on the team and the composure of the team in general.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I know you guys love Rolen, but he's a choker. If the rest of the team is following his lead, you're in some serious trouble.

ochre
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I know you guys love Rolen, but he's a choker. If the rest of the team is following his lead, you're in some serious trouble.
Wasn't just talking about Rolen. Cabrera, Edmonds, Arroyo, Cairo, Rhodes, and Hernandez have varying degrees of post season experience.

mckbearcat48
10-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Rolen and Edmonds choked badly in the '06 Postseason.:thumbup:

ochre
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Rolen and Edmonds choked badly in the '06 Postseason.:thumbup:
Sure, but Rolen carried teams in 3 different (out of 7 total) series. Did he learn not to choke then forget then learn again? Series are such small sample sizes; it's difficult to draw definitive conclusions therefrom.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:28 PM
All I know is that when Rolen was a Phillie, he was a piece of crap.

Trace's Daddy
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd like to see Stubbs leadoff and maybe lay down some bunts.

mckbearcat48
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Sure, but Rolen carried teams in 3 different (out of 7 total) series. Did he learn not to choke then forget then learn again? Series are such small sample sizes; it's difficult to draw definitive conclusions therefrom.

Trying to be sarcastic...Those two helped the Cards win a WS.

ochre
10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Trying to be sarcastic...Those two helped the Cards win a WS.
Yep, but Rolen kind of tanked the NLDS and NLCS of that year. :)

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Scott Rolen once sat out on Scott Rolen T-Shirt Day. That should tell you all you need to know.

mckbearcat48
10-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Yep, but Rolen kind of tanked the NLDS and NLCS of that year. :)

Oh, the infamous Speizio incident...good times.

ochre
10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Scott Rolen once sat out on Scott Rolen T-Shirt Day. That should tell you all you need to know.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013955/index.htm (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013955/index.htm)

Save for a short-lived appearance in the National League wild-card race earlier this season, the Phillies haven't provided their fans with a lot of excitement. So when Philadelphia hyped Scott Rolen T-shirt day on Sunday, Aug. 23, at the Vet, the least that manager Terry Francona could have done was...well...start Rolen. Instead, after playing in 144 straight games, Rolen sat out, to the annoyance of many Phillies fanatics. "It was the perfect time to get him some rest," said Francona, after the Phillies lost 5-2 to the Rockies with Rolen, last year's National League Rookie of the Year, on the bench. "It was a day game after a night game. We were coming off a doubleheader on Thursday." Baseball—where the fan almost matters.

Read more: [/URL][url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013955/index.htm#ixzz11VkFXU93 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013955/index.htm#ixzz11VkFXU93)

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Philaphans is good....

PSC is a better site with fans who also have a good sense of humor.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Except buckshot. He doesn't have a sense of humor.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Phils fans-

How much do you think the Phils will pitch to Votto? Only walk him in very specific spots or is he gonna get the Bonds treatment this series?

H2O isn't going to pitch around anybody for the most part. If you were facing the Braves he's barely see a pitch but the Phillies and especially Halladay think they're good enough to get anybody out.

PSCPhillies
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

The best is PhillySportsCentral.com/forums by far, but I'm biased. It's a much more relaxed environment and has few rules but awesome baseball discussion.

Actually, it was created in response to the gestapo type atmosphere at another mentioned site.

Of course, this place seems a little strict, so PSC may not be for everyone, especially not the mods here.

Check it out and let people know what you think.

Hillsdale87
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

1. Stubbs
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Rolen
5. Bruce
6. Gomes/Nix
7. O-Cab
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

Phillips said yesterday that he'll be batting leadoff, so is probably going to be hitting 7th like he normally does. I'm hoping that Nix or Edmonds get the start over Gomes in Games 1 and 2, with Gomes in Game 3 against Hamels. Has anybody heard an update on Edmonds? Also, when will the Reds final playoff roster be announced?

Girevik
10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Also, when will the Reds final playoff roster be announced?

They don't have to have it in until the day of the first game. I think I heard 10:00 AM.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Except buckshot. He doesn't have a sense of humor.

That's not funny.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
That's not funny.

See what I mean?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Or what if someone wants to talk about Dick Stockton?

Lol nevermind. It's not that strict.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Or what if someone wants to talk about Dick Stockton?

Nobody ever wants to talk about Dick Stockton.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Nobody ever wants to talk about Dick Stockton.

That's probably why his name isn't filtered.

WestSideBomber
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm surprised the swear filter over here picks so much up. What if somebody wants to breed their male dog and is looking for a *****? Or what if a woman needs to buy a ****** because her lady bits are a little funky because she met FLiP?

Probably because this is a baseball forum :dunno:

RedMontStore
10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Buckshot - WestSideBomber is right. This is a baseball forum. Keep it to baseball talk, please, so the rest of us can enjoy it. I already had to leave the espn boards bc of the arguing over there. Show some respect.

RedMontStore
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Phils fans-

Back to the point of the thread.... my lineup is probably right with Dusty and would be...
Phillips
Cabrera
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Gomes
Stubbs
Hannigan
Volquez

I would consider any of the other outfielders over Gomes, but we're not going to win on talent alone against Philly so lets try to maximize the chemistry/mojo out there. Besides, he just seems like the kind of guy that would step up in that spot and run into one.

There is absolutely no way that the Phillies can top this lineup. Howard is streaky, Utley is having his worst year and Rollins' average is terrible. I know Werth has been good of late, but who is gonna beat the Reds? Shane VictorMEANo?? Come on.