PDA

View Full Version : What do you FEEL is the Key to this series

brm7675
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Of all the things we can look at like pitching, hitting, defense, home field advantage and such, what do you feel is the most important thing in this series with the Phils.

UPRedsFan
10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Hands down it's pitching. If these are low scoring games they have a chance.

If we get dominate performances from Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto - 6 or 7 innings and 2 runs or less, that's the best chance. All 3 are capable of doing that.

The Reds can squeak 2 runs out of any pitching staff (although that might take getting into the Phils bullpen to do it). So I'd say the 2nd biggest key is the need to drive up pitch counts and get the big 3 out of the game by the eighth inning.

bshall2105
10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
In any series the most important aspect is pitching. If you can't hold the opposition to 3runs or fewer you have no chance against a 3 man rotation.

TeamSelig
10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I voted for hitting. We need good pitching to keep up with the Phillies, but if we can hit their star pitchers, we can win IMO.

redsrolen
10-04-2010, 05:32 PM
In any series the most important aspect is pitching. If you can't hold the opposition to 3runs or fewer you have no chance against a 3 man rotation.

Ditto!

Fullboat
10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
It has to be the hitting.The regular season series right before the ASB we had excellent pitching and lost three 1 run games.Who cares about the pitching,its always been score more runs than your opponent.

Stray
10-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Definitely pitching, and defense a close second. These are the two best offensive teams in the league, whoever throws it and catches it better will win the series.

Also, late game pitching. Cordero needs to be great, and on the other side so does Lidge. Both can be horrible...

RedsLvr
10-04-2010, 06:07 PM
There is not one single thing that is going to win us this series. If we don't have a series with good defense, offense, or pitching we will lose. Not having even one of the three not doing well then we will lose the series. Pitching does you no good if you can't hit. Pitching will do you no good if you can't hit. And you can't win if you can't make the out when you need to.

Vottomatic
10-04-2010, 06:14 PM
You didn't list my choice:

WINNING!

goreds2
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I think having four lefties in the bullpen (assumming) is going to be key. We can bring one in as early as the 5th inning to get a key out or three.

Bray
Wood
Rhodes
Chapman

:bray:

scott91575
10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
You didn't list my choice:

WINNING!

I was going to go with scoring more runs in each of 3 different games, but I agree with this also.

mckbearcat48
10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Key to the series in one word: Volquez. If he gets it going and beats Halladay, the Reds will win that series. If he gets rocked and they have to go to the pen early, look out.

Altsciguy
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
I voted hitting also. I know all the reasons for pitching but.... if the Reds can get hits on the roy's early (small ball or bombs) and get into the phillie bullpen as quickly as possible then the Reds are in a great position. The biggest thing standing between us and winning right now are the roys. hit through them and we are golden.

UPRedsFan
10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I think having four lefties in the bullpen (assumming) is going to be key. We can bring one in as early as the 5th inning to get a key out or three.

Bray
Wood
Rhodes
Chapman

Excellent point. If the question is which individual players are the keys to winning, it might be these 4 guys getting Utley, Howard and Ibanez out in the 6th, 7th, and 8th. I can imagine Howard flailing at Bill Bray sliders and Utley popping up Chapman fastballs all series.

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Easy answer to me is Volquez or just getting off to a good start in general.

For my FEELING though, I'm gonna say hitting home runs. If we put our share out of the park this week, we can beat them. You just aren't going to string together tons of hits to have a big inning against their SP's. Going to need to some 2 or 3 run shots and we have plenty of guys capable of hitting that big HR.

Captain13
10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
With as few chances as the Reds are likely to have the key thing may be baserunning. Stealing 2nd or going 1st to 3rd may be the difference in a game or the series.

goreds2
10-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Bray
Wood
Rhodes
Chapman

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101005&content_id=15428498&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Newman4
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I voted for pitching, but to echo some of the others, in particular, starting pitching. The Reds match up hitting-wise IMO and I think we have a little better bullpen. If our SPs can "weather the storm" and keep us close then I think the Reds may be able to pull it out.

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I lost track of my answer because Bray's floating head looks creepy! ;)
I voted hitting. Many of this year's losses to the Phils came off good pitching, but we had a weak offense. But it was a hard decision!

New York Red
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I think all of the choices listed will be factors, but my concerns are the Reds bullpen and hitting with RISP. These are two areas the Reds fell off in the last month or so of the season. We left way too many runners on base and our bullpen gave up several late-game leads. That's why we have to open up against the Phillies, instead of the Braves or Giants.

We played seven games this year against the Phillies and they were mostly low scoring games (we scored a total of 27 runs, the Phillies scored 30). So it's extremely important for us to take advantage of the scoring opportunities we get. And since the games are likely to be close in the late innings, our bullpen has to be solid. I think those will be the two biggest factors in this series.

markymark69
10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
The key to the series for me is how Rolen, Gomes, Bruce and Stubbs hit behind Votto. I believe the Phillies will pitch around Votto, which will force those guys to step up. If they can do it - the Reds will win the series. If not, well, we had a good run this year.