PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Dusty Baker the person

TStuck
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
ESPN.com isn't always the greatest reading, but I thought this article on Dusty, that was posted today, was especially good. A different perspective on Dusty - have to say I gained a new appreciation for the man.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=5647446

Chip R
10-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Nice article but I guess Howard Bryant can't tell one Allman Brother from another.

_Sir_Charles_
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I really enjoyed that article too. I had no clue Dusty had cancer. I'm sure it was in the news, I just missed it I guess.

Always Red
10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting this- it is a fine article.

I have come to admire Dusty Baker over the last 3 years. Yeah, the wins help, but to a man, those guys in the clubhouse love him, they would run through a brick wall for him, and there is something to be said for that. This Reds team plays hard, and I think they do it both for themselves, and to not let their manager down.

He is not the guy I thought he was when he first took the job. Actually, he was always the guy he is- I am the guilty one for believing what I had read about him from the media.

I still do not understand or agree with some (many?) of the moves that he makes during a game. But he has certainly pushed the right buttons this year, so much so that I have stopped second guessing him. Dusty knows more than I do about baseball. :D

Dusty Baker is a good man, and I am glad for him that he has had success here in Cincinnati. For him, me, and all of us, I hope it continues another 2 years. The more I find out about the man, Dusty Baker, the more I like him and root for him to do well.

Chip R
10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I still do not understand or agree with some (many?) of the moves that he makes during a game. But he has certainly pushed the right buttons this year, so much so that I have stopped second guessing him. Dusty knows more than I do about baseball. :D

You know what, I think people are not going to understand or agree with all the moves a manager makes. I'm not necessarily referring to just you, Always Red, but everyone who follows their team. I think, back in the 70s, if we had a message board, we'd go crazy over some of Sparky's in game moves. Once Sparky pinch hit for his 3rd baseman in the 2nd or 3rd inning. That's beyond Bob Boone craziness.

SunDeck
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
West 8th St. runs east-west.

Always Red
10-05-2010, 01:14 PM
You know what, I think people are not going to understand or agree with all the moves a manager makes. I'm not necessarily referring to just you, Always Red, but everyone who follows their team. I think, back in the 70s, if we had a message board, we'd go crazy over some of Sparky's in game moves. Once Sparky pinch hit for his 3rd baseman in the 2nd or 3rd inning. That's beyond Bob Boone craziness.

According to Poz, in "The Machine" that was John Vukovich, in 1975. Sparky's nickname for Vukovich was "Balsa." (I don't think Vukovich would have run through that brick wall for Sparky Anderson ;)) Driessen hit for him in the 2nd inning of a game early in the year, and while Vukovich sulked in the dugout, Sparky loudly asked his bench coach how he was supposed to win "without a real third baseman."

I also think LaRussa learned the art of changing pitchers from Captain Hook (Sparky) who really changed the way relievers are used in the game.

I agree, Chip, RZ would have melted down over some of that stuff.

lollipopcurve
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Seems to me Howard Bryant is a good writer. He also appeared on Ken Burns' The Tenth Inning -- did a nice turn there too.

This is a great moment for Dusty Baker -- glad to see it.

WVRedsFan
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Great article. Shows the human side of Dusty Baker. Very good read.

wally post
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
very touching and I am thrilled to have more compassion for Dusty