PDA

View Full Version : Halladay or Volquez

PhilaPhanatic
10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
if you had to choose your starter, who ya got?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I can only hope that someday the Phillies have a pitcher as good as Volquez.

KOBasinger
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Volquez is a fantastic pitcher but Halladay is a true ace. I think Edinson has that potential but he is still young and coming off TJ. Right now, Halladay...Future is Volquez.

Trace's Daddy
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd rather have Cliff Lee

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd rather have Cliff Lee

I would rather have Halladay and Oswalt.

KOBasinger
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I would rather have Halladay and Oswalt.
Would you rather have Ryan Howard?;)

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean...

KOBasinger
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean...

Halladay/Oswalt/Lee

OR

Halladay/Oswalt/Howard

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
What does Howard have to do with Lee? I would pick Howard over him though.

KOBasinger
10-05-2010, 12:18 PM
What does Howard have to do with Lee? I would pick Howard over him though.

That fat contract Howard got could've went to Lee. I don't see them going after Oswalt though if they still had him.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah and if they lose Howard, they lose their best offensive player. And there's no way they would have gone after Oswalt. That question is a no-brainer.

PhilaPhanatic
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll take Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels over Lee/Hamels. If the best knock you have on the Phillies is that they don't have Cliff Lee you're in trouble. you guys might as well not even show up to Philadelphia tomorrow.

PSCPhillies
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Volquez worries me a bit, but it doesn't matter because Halladay shuts the Reds down Game 1. 2-1 works for me.

brm7675
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think it's even close, right now the Phils 1-2-3 punch is a complete step above what the Reds will go with. Don't get me wrong, i like what we have, but you have 3 Grade A pitchers going for the Phils while the Reds throw 2 B's and a ? mark for us.

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 12:59 PM
if you had to choose your starter, who ya got?

Well, to answer a dumb question, we don't have a Halladay on our roster, so of course we pick Volquez. Whats the point of this thread, other then trolling of course, which is obvious.

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Right now I think Halliday is about the only part of this matchup that doesn't favor the Reds. Unfortunately, thats one heck of a difference.

So my answer is.... Phils better hope this answer is Halliday by a good amount (and it probably is).

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Right now I think Halliday is about the only part of this matchup that doesn't favor the Reds. Unfortunately, thats one heck of a difference.

So my answer is.... Phils better hope this answer is Halliday by a good amount (and it probably is).

Umm.... How are Arroyo and Cueto better than Oswalt and Hamels?

Phillies have a better 2b, 3b, SS, C, LF, and CF. 1b is a slight edge to Votto. Werth is better than Bruce. About the only advantage the Reds have is the bullpen, and the argument can be made that Lidge is better than Cordero. Madson is damn near untouchable in the playoffs.

Captain13
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Phillies have a better 2b, 3b, SS, C, LF, and CF. 1b is a slight edge to Votto. Werth is better than Bruce. About the only advantage the Reds have is the bullpen, and the argument can be made that Lidge is better than Cordero. Madson is damn near untouchable in the playoffs.

I'll take Brandon Phillips against anyone. Votto is more than a slight edge this season. And the catchers have outperformed every NL team except ATL. So even if I give you 3B, SS, LF, and CF, I'm calling C and 1B for the Reds and 2B and RF as a draw (even though defensively it's not even close). If it is even going to the bullpen, I have every confidence the Reds will win. :cool:

justincredible
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM

I guess it's a good thing the games aren't decided on paper then.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Ruiz is a top 5 catcher in baseball. Phillies pitchers have a 3.31 ERA when he catches. He also hit .302 this year.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
And I don't think you realize what a huge gap there is between the starting pitchers. It's not even close.

RedsFanatic
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Victorino is no better than Stubbs in center. You could even argue that Stubbs is better. He had a better OPS this year and has been excellent in the field.

And how is Polanco better than Rolen? Check the years offensively and Rolen is obviously light years better defensively.

KOBasinger
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ruiz is a top 5 catcher in baseball. Phillies pitchers have a 3.31 ERA when he catches. He also hit .302 this year.

LOL! Joke right?

McCann, Mauer, Posada, Victor Martinez, Buster Posey, etc..I might even take Ramon over him.

justincredible
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ruiz+Schneider: .286 BA/68 RBI
Hernandez+Hanigan: .298 BA/88 RBI

justincredible
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Stubbs has a better BA, OBP, SLG and (obviously) OPS than Victorino. More HRs, more RBI, more BB, higher WAR.

I'll take Stubbs.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Schneider won't see the field in the playoffs. Don't count his stats.

Posada isn't close to top 5 anymore. McCann can't play defense. Posey is still a rookie.

Ruiz is the total package.

Victorino has been hurt. When he's healthy, he's one of the best CF'ers in the game.

justincredible
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
And I don't think you realize what a huge gap there is between the starting pitchers. It's not even close.

Clearly there is a huge gap. But the Phillies pitchers aren't unhittable and the Reds pitchers aren't garbage. On paper the Phillies win the series. On the field...who knows?

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
and Rolen is obviously light years better defensively.

Polanco Fldg %: .986 --------> Gold Glove (went 80 something games without making an error)

Rolen: .977

Check your facts.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Do you platoon your catchers? Who gets most of the time?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Vic hits .268 when leading off. That's where he'll be for the playoffs.

texasdave
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Reds led the league in runs scored, hits, home runs, SLG and OPS, but all their players stink.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Nobody is saying they all stink, but if the Phillies were healthy for the entire year, they very likely would have led the league in most offensive categories.

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
roy halladay had more starts (33) than walks (30) this year... this was the second time in his career that he has accomplished this feat, making him only the second pitcher to ever accomplish this... the other was cy young.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Halladay: 7.3 K/BB

Josh Johnson was #2 in the NL. 3.875

Dominant.

Stray
10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
This is a pretty dumb thread, but I guess it's for the Philly fans that have made their way here.

Obviously Halladay is better than Volquez....um okay? It doesn't mean we can't beat Halladay, which we've done, and it doesn't mean Volquez can't shut down the Phillies...which he's done.

Captain13
10-05-2010, 02:33 PM
This is a pretty dumb thread, but I guess it's for the Philly fans that have made their way here.

Obviously Halladay is better than Volquez....um okay? It doesn't mean we can't beat Halladay, which we've done, and it doesn't mean Volquez can't shut down the Phillies...which he's done.

:thumbup: :beerme:

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:35 PM
But to say that Halladay is the only advantage the Phillies have? Real smart.....

CrosleyField
10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
If games were played on paper nobody would show up to watch. Don't break out the champagne yet Philadelphia.

mckbearcat48
10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
If games were played on paper nobody would show up to watch. Don't break out the champagne yet Philadelphia.

I love that expression. Boy, that's a big sheet to put those players on.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
We're fans. Nothing we do has any impact on the game. This Phillies has shown that they are not affected by the attention they get. They are by far the most determined and focused team I have ever seen. A lot of things would have to go wrong for the Reds to win.

Stray
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
But to say that Halladay is the only advantage the Phillies have? Real smart.....

You've come to the RedsZone. Did you expect for us to list all of the reasons why you're better than us?

On paper we lose this series, but fortunately for us they have to play it out. I like our team, a lot, and I like our chances to advance as well.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Rofl PP this thread title made me laugh, especially when I saw who made it

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
You've come to the RedsZone. Did you expect for us to list all of the reasons why you're better than us?

On paper we lose this series, but fortunately for us they have to play it out. I like our team, a lot, and I like our chances to advance as well.

You're being disingenuous by saying the Reds are clearly the better team.

Stray
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
You're being disingenuous by saying the Reds are clearly the better team.

How so? By saying that I like my teams chances to win?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
By saying the only advantage the Phillies have is Halladay. The Reds are a huge underdog. I know they could win, but it would mean a lot went wrong for the Phillies.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Volquez would be the #4 pitcher on the Phillies.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
He would be #5. Kendrick is better.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I'll take Volquez over Kendrick any day of the week. He really gets in your blood.

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Well lets go position by position for the position players
C-Schnieder has killed the Reds this year, but other then that it's pretty even. I'd give the edge to the Phillies
1rst- Def. it's pretty close from a fielding perc. and rf standoint. Off. the numbers speak for themselves. Edge Reds
2nd- Utley and BP are very similar def. BP has had a better season at the plate. Slight edge Reds
SS- Offensively and Def. I think Janish and Ocab have had a better year than Rollins Edge Reds
3rd- Rolen similar average to Polanco, but better power and def. Edge Reds
LF-Ibanez and Gomes are very much the same player. Ibanez is probably a little better def. Slight edge to the Phillies
Cf- Stubbs and Victorino's stats are very similar, and Stubbs has a better Fielding percentage and range factor. Victorino's been in the playoffs and has the experience factor. Edge Even
RF-I'd take Werth at the plate, but Bruce is a much better outfielder. Slight edge Phillies

Stray
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
By saying the only advantage the Phillies have is Halladay. The Reds are a huge underdog. I know they could win, but it would mean a lot went wrong for the Phillies.

I never said that, but I assume by 'you' you mean all Reds fans in this thread.

If we play our game (2 out rbis, great defense, aggressive baserunning) and get a few solid starts, we can beat you without things going wrong for you guys.

I realize you had injuries, but the last time we played it was a very competitive series not reflected by the end result.

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 02:54 PM
C-Schnieder has killed the Reds this year, but other then that it's pretty even. I'd give the edge to the Phillies
1rst- Def. it's pretty close from a fielding perc. and rf standoint. Off. the numbers speak for themselves. Edge Reds
2nd- Utley and BP are very similar def. BP has had a better season at the plate. Slight edge Reds
SS- Offensively and Def. I think Janish and Ocab have had a better year than Rollins Edge Reds
LF-Ibanez and Gomes are very much the same player. Ibanez is probably a little better def. Slight edge to the Phillies
Cf- Stubbs and Victorino's stats are very similar, and Stubbs has a better Fielding percentage and range factor. Victorino's been in the playoffs and has the experience factor. Edge Even
RF-I'd take Werth at the plate, but Bruce is a much better outfielder. Slight edge Phillies

Rollins has only played in 80+ games... he's been injured most of the year, but has a flair for the dramatic and shines in big games.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Catcher: RUIZ!! HUGE edge to the Phillies.
1b: Votto is a beast, but Howard would be closer in HRs and RBI if he didn't get hurt.
2b: Huge edge Phillies, because Chase is better than every other 2b
SS: I dont even know who the reds SS is, so edge phillies
3b: Rolen is probably better than Placido, but Placido has been hurt all year, just got a shot and I expect him to come out on fire
LF: Raul better offensive Gomes probably better defense(i hope)
CF: Shane is a gold glover for a reason. GS off C.C= edge phillies
RF: Werth is better, and hes also a better fielder.

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
1b: Votto is a beast, but Howard would be closer in HRs and RBI if he didn't get hurt.
3b: Rolen is probably better than Placido, but Placido has been hurt all year, just got a shot and I expect him to come out on fire

werth is horrible in the field haha.. good arm, but no smarts at all.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 02:58 PM

C- Ruiz's defense gives the Phillies the edge
1b- Howard was hurt this year. I give a slight edge to Votto but it's closer than you think
2b- Utley was also hurt. When he's healthy, no other 2nd Baseman is close.
SS- Jimmy always comes through in the playoffs. He's also better whn he hits lower in the lineup.
3b- Draw. Fielding is closer than you think.
LF- Slight edge to Ibanez.
CF- If Vic is healthy, hes better. But I'll call it a draw for now.
RF- Werth is an above average fielder with a great arm. He's a better hitter than Bruce. I'll agree with the slight edge.

Starting pitching is a huge edge to the Phillies.
Relief pitching favors the Reds but if Romero and Lidge can both control their pitches, look out.

Intangibles- Phillies have a huge advantage.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
werth is horrible in the field haha.. good arm, but no smarts at all.

I have faith that Werth will not get high before the playoff games. Scott Boras will make sure.

swaisuc
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM

I think we do realize that. My post admitting that is what got so many replies. I legitimately think we are better at hitting, defense, bullpen, and baserunning and we are still deserved underdogs. What does that say about what I(we?) think about Halliday?

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I have faith that Werth will not get high before the playoff games. Scott Boras will make sure.

lol... half the time he has bloodshot eyes... i love it

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM

No homerism here. (sigh) Look at the stats. Jay Bruce may win a gold glove this year. Werth is above average at best.

CF- I know Victorino has won a gold glove, but Stubbs will before all is said and done.
Reds Stats (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/cin/cincinnati-reds)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/phi/philadelphia-phillies

Phillies Stats (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/phi/philadelphia-phillies)

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Halladay isn't our only pitcher bro. The Phillies are great baserunners. Even slow guys like Howard always go 1st to 3rd. Phillies have the best defensive catcher and 2nd basemen in the league. Vic is a top 5 defensive CF. Only advantage for the Reds is the bullpen.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Halladay isn't our only pitcher bro. The Phillies are great baserunners. Even slow guys like Howard always go 1st to 3rd. Phillies have the best defensive catcher and 2nd basemen in the league. Vic is a top 5 defensive CF. Only advantage for the Reds is the bullpen.

Except that Madson and Lidge have been dominant.
I see no advantages for the Reds.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
If Lidge and Romero have control, the Phillies have virtually no weaknesses.

Stray
10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Phillie fans really think Utley is a better defensive 2nd baseman than Phillips?

justincredible
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
One advantage for the Reds: No pressure. Everyone expects them to get their butts handed to them.

dbfp210
Yes. So does everyone who isn't a Reds fan. Utley might be the best overall defensive player in baseball.

SidneySlicker
Philly has all the pressure on them because everyone and I mean everyone is picking them. The Reds are playing with house money. If they can come out and put some runs on right away, they'll really put the pressure on.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
The Phillies don't feel pressure.

justincredible
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes. So does everyone who isn't a Reds fan. Utley might be the best overall defensive player in baseball.

lol wut?

PSCPhillies
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Werth has speed, an arm, and overall athleticsm. What he lacks is great instincts.

On the other hand, Utley isn't the most overall gifted athlete, but he makes up for it tenfold with out of this world instincts and just basebal know how. How anyone could not love the guy is mind boggling (except for the greasy Met fans, who probably cry at night knowing that part of their brand new ballpark is also known as Utley's Corner).

And LOL at thinking Phillips is better than Utley offensively.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
The Phillies experience counters the pressure. Someone else said it, but the Phillies 25 players aren't taking this for granted and aren't going to sleep on the Reds.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
lol wut?

I know a few experts had him ranked as #1 overall for a couple seasons.

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
The Phillies experience counters the pressure. Someone else said it, but the Phillies 25 players aren't taking this for granted and aren't going to sleep on the Reds.

I don't buy it, but we'll see. It's human nature to start to believe what people tell you after enough people tell you. Maybe they're not human though. I guess we'll see.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
They aren't human.

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Gold Gloves-
Brandon Phillips- 1
Chase Utley- 0

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
they aren't human.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Phillie fans really think Utley is a better defensive 2nd baseman than Phillips?

Stats say Utley should have won a Gold Glove but I don't think one is better than the other as they're both great.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
ROFL. Even Bobby Abreu won a GG.

ASGs:

Utley- 5
Phillips- 1

bucksh0t
Gold Gloves-
Brandon Phillips- 1
Chase Utley- 0

Gold Glove voters have proven that they don't know what they're doing. Palmeiro won one once when he only played like 20 games in the field. David Wright is below average defensively and won one also.

bridge_to_lidge
Utley has deserved gold gloves multiple years, he gets so overlooked at 2nd. The plays he can make are amazing.

SidneySlicker
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
You guys are amazing. You can say Utley's a better offensive player and I'll buy that, but there's no way Utley's a better def. player. BP makes ridiculous plays look easy. We'll see.

schmidty622
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Ok, I agree with you. Phillies are better all the way around. You win. Please return to Phillieszone. You have nothing left to prove. Thanks,

The Sundeck.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
What's Phillieszone? And don't get pissy because the Phillies are the better team. The Phils were the underdog in 2008 and look what happened. You guys do have a solid team.

schmidty622
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
What's Phillieszone? And don't get pissy because the Phillies are the better team. The Phils were the underdog in 2008 and look what happened. You guys do have a solid team.

You are right. Phillies have the better team. Thanks for letting us know.

SidneySlicker
I'm done. Tomorrow it starts. Let the fun begin.

dbfp210
Glad I could help.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm done. Tomorrow it starts. Let the fun begin.

I look forward to chatting with you some more. ;)

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 03:34 PM

If you like your team so much better, then go to their board and talk about them.

PSCPhillies
10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
You are right. Phillies have the better team. Thanks for letting us know.

Why the crybaby routine?

schmidty622
10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Why the crybaby routine?

Not crying, just agreeing. The Phillies are better and the Reds are longshots.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
If you like your team so much better, then go to their board and talk about them.

I have been doing that. You should come over and join! www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forum.php

I really just want to talk baseball. Figured you guys would enjoy another perspective.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
It really doesn't matter because the Braves have the greatest player of all time (Heyward) and are sure things to win it all.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
It really doesn't matter because the Braves have the greatest player of all time (Heyward) and are sure things to win it all.

Beans'd

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I have been doing that. You should come over and join! www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forum.php

I really just want to talk baseball. Figured you guys would enjoy another perspective.

Thanks, but no thanks, I dont give a crap about you or your team. Another persepctive is fine, your just trolling here.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
How am I trolling?

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks, but no thanks, I dont give a crap about you or your team. Another persepctive is fine, your just trolling here.

He's just trying to talk baseball, stop baiting him.

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
How am I trolling?

Uhm, by coming here and saying the things your saying, how the Phils are dominant, and things are really wrong with them if the Reds win (already making excsue if do lose).

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Uhm, by coming here and saying the things your saying, how the Phils are dominant, and things are really wrong with them if the Reds win (already making excsue if do lose).

I'm not making excuses. I'm just saying that the Phillies are better. I've backed it up with stats and stuff. You guys keep saying ridiculous things though.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

This is a baseball forum. Do you wan't to get banned?

New York Red
10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Most of us realize the Reds are underdogs in this series. But it's more because of the Phillies playoff experience - not so much because the Phillies have a big edge in talent. The four games at Philly prior to the all-star break were all decided in the home team's final at bat. You can't get any more even than that.

As for the thread title - Halladay vs Volquez - obviously you can't compare their careers or their seasons. Halladay obviously gets a big edge in both, but neither of those things matter when they take the hill Wednesday. It's one game and whoever pitches better that day will likely come out on top. If I recall correctly, the Reds gave Halladay one of his worst losses of the season, didn't they? He gave up a season-high in hits against the Reds, unless he had a worse outing after that game. So while the Reds are underdogs, there isn't a huge edge in talent for the Phillies.

Remember also that the Reds pounded Oswalt pretty good this year also. If the Reds play up to their potential, this series could go either way. Cocky Philly fans won't admit that, but it's the truth. The 1990 Reds supposedly had no chance against the powerful and talented A's, but how did that series turn out? Don't count the 2010 Reds out either!

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Utley has deserved gold gloves multiple years, he gets so overlooked at 2nd. The plays he can make are amazing.

You just said he is the greatest defensive player in all of MLB, how is that overlooked???

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:53 PM
You just said he is the greatest defensive player in all of MLB, how is that overlooked???

That was me breh. He's overlooked by other fans. But Phillies fans and most experts know what's up.

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
That was me breh. He's overlooked by other fans. But Phillies fans and most experts know what's up.

WTF's a breh?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
WTF's a breh?

Sorry. I meant brah.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Most of us realize the Reds are underdogs in this series. But it's more because of the Phillies playoff experience - not so much because the Phillies have a big edge in talent. The four games at Philly prior to the all-star break were all decided in the home team's final at bat. You can't get any more even than that.

As for the thread title - Halladay vs Volquez - obviously you can't compare their careers or their seasons. Halladay obviously gets a big edge in both, but neither of those things matter when they take the hill Wednesday. It's one game and whoever pitches better that day will likely come out on top. If I recall correctly, the Reds gave Halladay one of his worst losses of the season, didn't they? He gave up a season-high in hits against the Reds, unless he had a worse outing after that game. So while the Reds are underdogs, there isn't a huge edge in talent for the Phillies.

Remember also that the Reds pounded Oswalt pretty good this year also. If the Reds play up to their potential, this series could go either way. Cocky Philly fans won't admit that, but it's the truth. The 1990 Reds supposedly had no chance against the powerful and talented A's, but how did that series turn out? Don't count the 2010 Reds out either!

1. The Phillies do have a massive edge in talent
2. This isn't the same Phillies team you saw in July. I've been a fan since the 70's and have NEVER seen a team play like this before. They're playing inspired and determined baseball right now.
3. Cordero should be a HUGE concern for you guys right now, he's been crumbling.
4. With all that said, it is baseball and in a short series anything can happen.

New York Red
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
1. The Phillies do have a massive edge in talent
No they don't. The big edge they have is postseason experience. And they have a true ace starting Game One. Everything else is pretty even.

RedsFanatic
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Romero has more walks than strikeouts this year. You really think he is going to give Votto or Bruce problems? His whip is over 1.6. That is awful for a reliever. The only reason his ERA is somewhat respectful is because of sheer luck. If that's the best the Phillies have to counter Votto and Bruce in the bullpen then they better hope Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels get them to the 8th inning.

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
He's just trying to talk baseball, stop baiting him.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
That's why we're saying IF Romero has control, the bullpen will be fine. He has great stuff but he hasn't been able to locate it this year.

WF28
Romero stinks. I have no faith in him.

lpj5001
No they don't. The big edge they have is postseason experience. And they have a true ace starting Game One. Everything else is pretty even.

LOL

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Madson has a changeup that will negate votto and bruce.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
You're right about Madson, he's better than any loogy they've had in years.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Can a Reds fan explain how Arroyo and Cueto > Oswalt and Hamels?

RedsFanatic
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
That's why we're saying IF Romero has control, the bullpen will be fine. He has great stuff but he hasn't been able to locate it this year.

Ok, well how about this? If Volquez has control, the Phillies won't hit him. Volquez has as much talent as anyone (other than Chapman) playing in this series. When he is on, he can match Halladay pitch for pitch.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM
But how likely is that?

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
When Halladay is "off" he can still pitch with any reds pitcher

WF28
Roy Halladay was out running the stairs at CBP yesterday in the rain...he's not going to lose. :)

New York Red
Can a Reds fan explain how Arroyo and Cueto > Oswalt and Hamels?
The Reds handled Oswalt fairly easily this year. You might want to use a better example. Hamel is a whopping 12-11 this year, while Arroyo and Cueto are a combined 29-17. Next.

RedsFanatic
But how likely is that?

He did it in all of September.

bucksh0t
Ok, well how about this? If Volquez has control, the Phillies won't hit him. Volquez has as much talent as anyone (other than Chapman) playing in this series. When he is on, he can match Halladay pitch for pitch.

Volquez can be great if he's on, not unlike AJ Burnett was in WS game two last year. But the Phillies won't have an old, tired and sick Pedro Martinez on the mound.

As far as Romero goes, I think that if he end up pitching in a meaningful spot the Phillies are screwed. I'd rather have Bastardo in there than JC.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Why are you using wins as a measure of how good a pitcher is?

WF28
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
He did it in all of September.

against the Brewers, Diamondbacks, Astros, and Pirates...

lpj5001
10-05-2010, 04:25 PM
The Reds handled Oswalt fairly easily this year. You might want to use a better example. Hamel is a whopping 12-11 this year, while Arroyo and Cueto are a combined 29-17. Next.

so by your logic, somebody could be 10-0 with a 9.00 era and be a great pitcher

RedsFanatic
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
against the Brewers, Diamondbacks, Astros, and Pirates...

The Brewers and Diamondbacks were both above average hitting teams this year.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 04:27 PM

This is kind of weak, Hamels took losses or no decisions in 9 games in which he gave up 2 or fewer earned runs.

PSCPhillies
10-05-2010, 04:27 PM
LOL at using wins as your argument. C'mon son.

bucksh0t
10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
LOL at using wins as your argument. C'mon son.

I didn't know you had kids.

RedsFanatic
10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Even if the Reds pitchers are on, that doesn't mean the Phillies pitchers will **** the bed.

No one is saying that. But Volquez and Cueto have the potential to be extremely dominant. They are still very young but if they are on top of their games, then their is no reason they can't match Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels.

bounty37h
10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
But how likely is that?

apparently as likely as Romero having control?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not trying to be a bother, but what are the rules on profanity? I keep getting infractions and people are getting banned for using fairly harmless words

Belmont Shore
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
When all your pitchers go 9 three games in a row, who cares about control.

Heath
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not trying to be a bother, but what are the rules on profanity? I keep getting infractions and people are getting banned for using fairly harmless words

Maybe instead of blustering into town, read the about us thread.

We are a little more civil around here.

If you have problems, PM me or any other mod.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Can you link to PSC on the big boy forum? We'd like to talk to your members, but it seems that we aren't really allowed to.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:44 PM

I couldn't find that thread.......

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I couldn't find that thread.......

what a dimwit

Chip R
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Or, just read the bottom of every page. It's in small letters but if you can get a magnifying glass, it's pretty legible and pretty simple to understand.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Or, just read the bottom of every page. It's in small letters but if you can get a magnifying glass, it's pretty legible and pretty simple to understand.

Can you link to PSC on the big boy forum? We'd like to talk to your members, but it seems that we aren't really allowed to.

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Can I get a definition of edgy language? I think we have a different definition here in the big city...

Chip R
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Can I get a definition of edgy language? I think we have a different definition here in the big city...

This is a subject better discussed in this forum. Let's try to keep the threads on topic.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
This is a subject better discussed in this forum. Let's try to keep the threads on topic.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Please stay on topic BTL.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Please stay on topic BTL.

or what mother****er

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
or what mother****er

Reported. Please don't threaten me.

bridge_to_lidge
10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Reported. Please don't threaten me.

Reported this post for not being about baseball.

RedMontStore
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Considering Roy Halladay will win the Cy Young this year and is arguably the best pitcher in baseball, I don't think this is even a discussion.

Heath
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Considering Roy Halladay will win the Cy Young this year and is arguably the best pitcher in baseball, I don't think this is even a discussion.

Ok, fine. Its over.