PDA

View Full Version : What is edgy language?

dbfp210
10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Please define.

Joseph
10-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Posting it would be a violation :)

Basically its anything from off color all the way up to profanity.

WMR
10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Posting it would be a violation :)

Basically its anything from off color all the way up to profanity.

lol

Captain Hook
10-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Please define.

If Redszone was a movie it would likely be rated G.

TheNext44
10-28-2010, 04:00 AM
I guess my question has to do with masked profanity. I have seen some if it accepted, and some censored. If I could get a PM from a Mod explaining what is acceptable and what is not, it would be greatly appreciated.

Boss-Hog
10-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I can hopefully clarify this briefly: words like "damn" and "hell" are fine, provided they're in the context of a sentence and not just saying them to say them. Most of the other traditional cuss words are not allowed and at least some of them will be censored if you try to type them. As was stated above, masking any of these words is also prohibited.

TheNext44
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I can hopefully clarify this briefly: words like "damn" and "hell" are fine, provided they're in the context of a sentence and not just saying them to say them. Most of the other traditional cuss words are not allowed and at least some of them will be censored if you try to type them. As was stated above, masking any of these words is also prohibited.

Just for my own clarification, not that I plan on cursing much in posts, but I just want to know the rules, what exactly is "masking?" **I have seen plenty of post that simply replace certain letters in curse words with %$# and such. **Is that forbidden? *Did those just slip through?
What about purposefully misspelling a word, or using a word that looks like it, but everyone knows what it really is meant to be? **I'm just not 100% on what "masking" is. **

Thanks, I appreciate any response. **

*BaseClogger*
10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Poop

macro
10-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Just for my own clarification, not that I plan on cursing much in posts, but I just want to know the rules, what exactly is "masking?" **I have seen plenty of post that simply replace certain letters in curse words with %$# and such. **Is that forbidden? *Did those just slip through?
What about purposefully misspelling a word, or using a word that looks like it, but everyone knows what it really is meant to be? **I'm just not 100% on what "masking" is. **

I would say all of the above, and yes, they can and do slip through. Acronyms that represent the first letters of such words are also not permitted.

Boss-Hog
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM

What macro said - plainly evading the word censors by replacing a character (or characters) in order to type out the prohibited word.

TheNext44
10-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys Very helpful :)

frenetic wave
11-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Can you call someone a "tomato head"?

*BaseClogger*
11-18-2010, 01:55 AM
What about "knuckle head"?

marcshoe
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Belgium.

11-18-2010, 09:14 PM
... BALZAC...

YouTube - Buffalo Bills- The Music Man "Pick-a-little/Goodnight Ladies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhnRuJBHLs)

redsfandan
11-19-2010, 06:10 AM
If Redszone was a movie it would likely be rated G.
In 1930.

westofyou
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
In 1930.

1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.

redsfandan
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.

Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.

Yachtzee
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
What the French, toast?

Roy Tucker
11-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.

It was a big deal up through the 60's according to my dad. Using the word "damn" or "hell" (or worse words) got yourself smacked right upside the head resulting in a very fast trip to the floor and a very stern warning that such language is not acceptable. It took once for me to learn that lesson.

Its all where darn and heck and gol durn and god bless america became part of my lexicon.

NeilHamburger
11-19-2010, 12:28 PM
As a general rule if you couldn't say it on The Andy Griffith Show (the black and white years) then you can't say it on redszone.

It's called the Andy Rule in the FAQ.

Also see Grande, George.

Boss-Hog
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
If some people want to be able to say whatever they want in terms of language, making that change is certainly not going to bother me, but I'd be willing to bet not everyone shares your point of view.

*BaseClogger*
11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Nobody ever shares one point of view...

westofyou
11-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Except from a grave

Boss-Hog
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.

redsfandan
11-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.

Where? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?

Boss-Hog
11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
When? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?
It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.

redsfandan
11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.

I guess it's just harder for me. :(

frenetic wave
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.

Boss-Hog
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.
The terms you used might be considered insults for the reason you described but they are certainly not "edgy language".

OnBaseMachine
11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
If some people want to be able to say whatever they want in terms of language, making that change is certainly not going to bother me, but I'd be willing to bet not everyone shares your point of view.

Not gonna lie, I curse quite a bit in real life (I'm trying to quit ;) )but I have no interest in doing it on here or reading it. I think the rules regarding edgy language on here are fine as is.

paintmered
11-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Also, check out some of the definitions over at Urban Dictionary.

WMR
11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
What about a 'secret/hidden' RZ Uncensored forum that you have to request special permission to see/access? Another website I'm on has something just like that.

Brutus
11-19-2010, 09:55 PM
It was a big deal up through the 60's according to my dad. Using the word "damn" or "hell" (or worse words) got yourself smacked right upside the head resulting in a very fast trip to the floor and a very stern warning that such language is not acceptable. It took once for me to learn that lesson.

Its all where darn and heck and gol durn and god bless america became part of my lexicon.

I used to get smacked by my grandmother for saying darn because she told me it was just a runaround to saying the real thing, and that my intent was no different so I shouldn't say it. It seemed like circular logic at the time.

As far as this subject... I don't get why anyone feels the need to curse on a message board. I admit I don't curse a ton, but to me, I think it's self degradation to show one's vocabulary to be so reliant on curse words. I'd like to believe people would want to show themselves to be intellectually capable of having a decent conversation without the graphic language.

westofyou
11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I used to get smacked by my grandmother for saying darn because she told me it was just a runaround to saying the real thing, and that my intent was no different so I shouldn't say it. It seemed like circular logic at the time.

As far as this subject... I don't get why anyone feels the need to curse on a message board. I admit I don't curse a ton, but to me, I think it's self degradation to show one's vocabulary to be so reliant on curse words. I'd like to believe people would want to show themselves to be intellectually capable of having a decent conversation without the graphic language.

I once had the word "masturbation" blocked and I was warned for it.

I found that funny

Brutus
11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I once had the word "masturbation" blocked and I was warned for it.

I found that funny

Did you later opt for spank the monkey instead? :D

Eric_the_Red
11-20-2010, 11:17 AM
I come to RZ for intelligent conversations. Cursing is not intelligent. If the policy were changed, I'm sure I would frequent the site much less, if at all.

Boss-Hog
11-20-2010, 11:31 AM
The reason mentioned above is a big part of the reason why we have the policy we do. In addition to wanting to run a site that is friendly for all audiences, I feel that cussing adds very little to quality of posts and often detracts from it. I used to read a Bengals forum that allowed any kind of language and I found the forum to be pretty unreadable due to people wanting to cuss just because they can. That's not something I want to see here.

Roy Tucker
11-20-2010, 03:19 PM

I had that same discussion with myself for a couple minutes when I first saw this thread. Because when I say darn, I'm thinking damn, heck for hell, and on down the line. I thought a case (albeit a weak one) could be made for darn, heck, fudge, shoot, etc etc could be masking cursing.

And then I decided it was really kinda stupid and there are enough other things in the world that merit true discussion. So forget I mentioned it. ;)

*BaseClogger*
11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I come to RZ for intelligent conversations. Cursing is not intelligent. If the policy were changed, I'm sure I would frequent the site much less, if at all.

What's your take on song writers, comedians, and film makers who use profanity? Do you avoid all R-rated movies?

kaldaniels
11-21-2010, 12:46 PM
What's your take on song writers, comedians, and film makers who use profanity? Do you avoid all R-rated movies?

:bang:

Now watch as I flip the above statement into an even more strawman-ish type remark.

Do you BaseClogger wish that cursing was included in the New England Journal of Medicine?

So many retorts on this board stem are based on the thought "Well if you believe A you MUST believe B."

Can't someone just have their opinion without a secondary poster trying to make it more than it is. Just sayin'.

*BaseClogger*
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
:bang:

Now watch as I flip the above statement into an even more strawman-ish type remark.

Do you BaseClogger wish that cursing was included in the New England Journal of Medicine?

So many retorts on this board stem are based on the thought "Well if you believe A you MUST believe B."

Can't someone just have their opinion without a secondary poster trying to make it more than it is. Just sayin'.

Chill out, bro. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

The quoted poster said he wants to keep it "intelligent" and I am suggesting that it is very common to have intelligent conversations with profanity.

I have no idea if profanity is discouraged from the New England Journal of Medicine, but why would I have a problem with it?

I was merely disagreeing with the premise that "Because A has profanity and B does not have profanity then A MUST be more intelligent in its nature"...

Brutus
11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Chill out, bro. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

The quoted poster said he wants to keep it "intelligent" and I am suggesting that it is very common to have intelligent conversations with profanity.

I have no idea if profanity is discouraged from the New England Journal of Medicine, but why would I have a problem with it?

I was merely disagreeing with the premise that "Because A has profanity and B does not have profanity then A MUST be more intelligent in its nature"...

I think the difference is that 90 percent of communication is non-verbal. In the movies, they use dialog simply as another method to develop the characters. But on message boards, 100 percent of communication is written. There's really no room to convey thoughts with your body language, facial expressions and other forms of expression. So falling back on profane language probably does diminish the perception of one's intelligence, right or wrong.

*BaseClogger*
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Some of the best baseball analysis I have ever read was on FJM, but there were several instances of when I wanted to post some text from one of their posts on this site, but could not due to its inclusion of profanity...

Eric_the_Red
11-22-2010, 12:02 AM

I don't mind profanity used in more artistic venues, such as music, movies, performance, etc. Those areas tend to lend toward the more emotional conversations and feelings, not intellectual. (Not saying they aren't intellectual, but they usually aren't doing statistical analysis.)

Also, those type of outlets are usually reflecting real life or real situations, and doing otherwise would seem dishonest to the film's character or song's lyrics.

And I don't mind comedians that curse, as long as they are funny. Cursing, being something socially taboo in most of our lives, lends itself to humor due to how out of the ordinary and shocking it can be.

All that said if a film/song/comic etc. uses too much profanity, I avoid it. The movie "The Ladykillers" had so much cursing it was distracting, and made the movie even worse. (Perhaps they were trying to distract the audience from how terrible the film actually was.)

I curse occasionally (although with my infant son that likes to repeat things, I try not to). Heck, I've cursed plenty while watching the Reds. But I wouldn't come here and post that profanity. Why? Because it is emotional, not intellectual.

And I'd like to think that most/all on this board could take a moment to choose different words when coming here to post how the bad call by the ump made them feel.

gilpdawg
11-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Not gonna lie, I curse quite a bit in real life (I'm trying to quit ;) )but I have no interest in doing it on here or reading it. I think the rules regarding edgy language on here are fine as is.
This is me to a tee. I curse like a sailor but I don't have a need to do it here. Should have heard me after the Colts game today. :)

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

*BaseClogger*
11-22-2010, 02:46 AM
I don't mind profanity used in more artistic venues, such as music, movies, performance, etc. Those areas tend to lend toward the more emotional conversations and feelings, not intellectual. (Not saying they aren't intellectual, but they usually aren't doing statistical analysis.)

Also, those type of outlets are usually reflecting real life or real situations, and doing otherwise would seem dishonest to the film's character or song's lyrics.

And I don't mind comedians that curse, as long as they are funny. Cursing, being something socially taboo in most of our lives, lends itself to humor due to how out of the ordinary and shocking it can be.

All that said if a film/song/comic etc. uses too much profanity, I avoid it. The movie "The Ladykillers" had so much cursing it was distracting, and made the movie even worse. (Perhaps they were trying to distract the audience from how terrible the film actually was.)

I curse occasionally (although with my infant son that likes to repeat things, I try not to). Heck, I've cursed plenty while watching the Reds. But I wouldn't come here and post that profanity. Why? Because it is emotional, not intellectual.

And I'd like to think that most/all on this board could take a moment to choose different words when coming here to post how the bad call by the ump made them feel.

Cursing sounds like fun.

Maybe it would lighten up some of the statistical debates that fill up the ORG?

TRF
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
My son is 18, and he dropped an F-bomb in front of me yesterday without even thinking. We are at a fuzzy time where he isn't quite sure what he can or can't say in front of me.

What I have always told him is words have power. Spraying profanity around lessens the power they have. And those words do have power if used in the right context. When you waste them how can someone know the reason you used them was important?

My kid used to log on as me and read Redszone. I'm glad that it was at least PG-13.

Bob Borkowski
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
My son is 18, and he dropped an F-bomb in front of me yesterday without even thinking. We are at a fuzzy time where he isn't quite sure what he can or can't say in front of me.

How did you respond?

11-23-2010, 02:13 PM

What I have always told him is words have power. Spraying profanity around lessens the power they have. And those words do have power if used in the right context. When you waste them how can someone know the reason you used them was important?

My kid used to log on as me and read Redszone. I'm glad that it was at least PG-13.

This brings up an interesting issue with profanity. Adults curse around other adults, but not around kids, while kids curse around other kids but never adults.

I think your response was a much more rational and effective method than just banning kids from using bad language. You let him know that there is a time and place to use them, but they generally weaken whatever statement you are trying make. Kids, like everyone, will use profanity, trying to stop them is ineffective at least and hypocritical at worst.

Brutus
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
This brings up an interesting issue with profanity. Adults curse around other adults, but not around kids, while kids curse around other kids but never adults.

I think your response was a much more rational and effective method than just banning kids from using bad language. You let him know that there is a time and place to use them, but they generally weaken whatever statement you are trying make. Kids, like everyone, will use profanity, trying to stop them is ineffective at least and hypocritical at worst.

It's only hypocritical to the individuals that curse and then tell their kids it's not OK to curse. There are still some people that do abstain from that kind of language (I'm not one of them, though I do it much more infrequently than others).

But I do agree sometimes it's counterproductive to take a hardline stance against it. The first time they hear you shout an obscenity, you've likely undone any chance you may have had of getting through to them.

*BaseClogger*
11-25-2010, 05:47 AM
I don't see why people make such a big deal out of words that have applied and not concrete meanings. Sticks and stones, ya know? :)

Eric_the_Red
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't see why people make such a big deal out of words that have applied and not concrete meanings. Sticks and stones, ya know? :)

That is great until somebody calls your mother a !#&@$. Words have meaning, applied or not.

westofyou
11-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Language should be a graceful and thought out tool, why bring it down to please a few of the masses need to sully it?

A pox on them I declare.

marcshoe
11-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't curse, but those who do don't really offend me, particularly if they do it well (see Mumford and Sons 'Little Lion Man'), On a board like this, I think conversations without the rougher language tend to be more civil.

Besides, after having the name of the hero of Gettysburg rendered 'Winfield Scott Han****' in a post I once made on the History Channel boards, I haven't seen much to complain about here.

*BaseClogger*
11-25-2010, 09:31 PM
That is great until somebody calls your mother a !#&@$. Words have meaning, applied or not.

How would that be treated any differently than if a poster on here called you a "butt face"? Either way, it's a personal attack and should be dealt with by the moderating team...

Brutus
11-25-2010, 11:14 PM
How would that be treated any differently than if a poster on here called you a "butt face"? Either way, it's a personal attack and should be dealt with by the moderating team...

But since calling someone a name like that would be moderated, how's that any different than what he's saying?

kaldaniels
11-26-2010, 01:29 AM
So will this thread or the Teachers thread (which is off to a hefty lead) have more legs...I can see both of these threads still going strong up until pitchers and catchers report.

*BaseClogger*
11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
But since calling someone a name like that would be moderated, how's that any different than what he's saying?

I'm saying using profanity wouldn't change things much... :dunno:

Brutus
11-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm saying using profanity wouldn't change things much... :dunno:

There's just not any redeeming value in it. At best, you can say it's not all that bad. But I would hope no one is hurting because they can't be profane.

*BaseClogger*
11-26-2010, 04:19 PM
There's just not any redeeming value in it. At best, you can say it's not all that bad. But I would hope no one is hurting because they can't be profane.

It's more of a personal freedom thing, ya know? :dunno:

Brutus
11-26-2010, 04:27 PM

In principal, I normally agree. However, this is a privately run site. It's like boss and GIK's internet house.

When you go to a person's house, do you curse up a storm if they don't care for it? I imagine you respect their wishes and the lifestyle they live while in their home.

I'm all for personal freedoms. And obviously I've vouched for it a bunch in discussions on this board. But I also recognize that it's their site and if they want it run a certain way, it's their prerogative even if I'm not crazy about it.

House rules, and that sort of thing.

westofyou
11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Personal freedoms and society need to find common ground, you are part of the world's existence, the world isn't necessarily a part of your existence.

frenetic wave
11-26-2010, 07:25 PM
When you go to a person's house, do you curse up a storm if they don't care for it? I imagine you respect their wishes and the lifestyle they live while in their home.

Agreed. I think in this case not cursing is the equivalent of wiping your shoes on the doormat before you enter someone's home. We all wish we didn't have to do it sometimes but imagine if after you've left the house the home owner's wife had to spend time cleaning the foot steps you tracked in? All because you thought not wiping your feet was a "personal freedom" or because you and the boys don't wipe your feet etc etc. In that same way, the moderator's shouldn't be using their time to edit your posts after you've done posting. A little respect goes a long way and it also helps ensure that you'll be invited back again to the house, I'm sure there are a lot of guests outside on the street who'd love to take your spot and that's why we all come over and play nice and use respect and I think at the end of the day the home owner reserves the right to lock his doors, but so far he's left them open and we all get to benefit. Beside how many home owner's do you know who will invite you in and give you your own forum to give feedback about how he runs his home? What are we all complaining about? :beerme:

Unassisted
11-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Another forum I frequent and moderate at uses PG-13 as its language standard. That site has a short list of profanities in its banned-word filter. (If you've watched enough PG-13 and above movies, you can probably guess which words you'd never hear in a PG-13.) As a moderator there, my rule of thumb for language is to allow anything that isn't on the banned-word list, as long as it's not a veiled profanity meant to circumvent the banned-word list.

Honestly, it'd be easier to moderate with a tighter standard than PG-13, like RedsZone has. Too many "edgy" words at the other place tend to be aimed at other members. That makes the other place less friendly at times.

TRF
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
How did you respond?

I didn't. I think he realized it, and hasn't done it around me since. He tries to be mature in this regard, but he is 18. If i remember correctly, I went through quite the cursing phase myself. Lasted until i was 32 i think. TV directors cuss a lot.

I almost never curse anymore. It's similar to puns being the lowest form of humor. If I need to beat you with words, I can do it without dropping an F-Bomb.