PDA

View Full Version : NLDS: Philly v. Cincinnati Predictions Thread

Caveat Emperor
10-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Simple question, who ya got?

I've got Phillies in 4. Love the Reds, been a great season, but Philly is simply a better team in all facets of the game.

Brutus
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Philly in 4

reds44
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Reds in 4.

Reds steal game one, win 3 and 4 at home.

WVRed
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Phillies in four.

Reds will win Friday night in Philly. The Reds have had Oswalt's number this season.

VR
10-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Cincy in 5.

GIK
10-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Cincy in 5.

:thumbup: I'm with you, VR.

BearcatShane
10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
The Phillies are better. But in a 5 game series, anything can happen. Reds in 4.

Degenerate39
10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Reds win Game 1
Phillies win Game 2 and 3
Reds win Game 4 and 5

kbrake
10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm usually wrong, Phillies in 4.

HeatherC1212
10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Reds in 4.

Reds steal game one, win 3 and 4 at home.

This. :thumbup:

BTW-I just got done watching the 30 for 30 movie on ESPN about the Red Sox's improbable comeback in the 2004 ALCS and to borrow a phrase that was used a lot during this movie...why the heck not us??! No one gave those guys a chance to overcome that bad defecit against a tough Yankee team, the 1990 Reds team wasn't given much of a chance vs. the mighty A's, the media folks counted the Reds out for most of the season, and yes, they're counting them out now but why the heck not us? :) This season has been so magical and memorable for so many fans and I just can't wrap my mind around why people can't simply say that anything is possible. Yes, the Phillies are an awesome team, yes they're the faves to get back to the World Series, but hey, this is baseball and ANYTHING can happen. I won't be disappointed at all if I'm wrong, this team has given me way more than I anticipated this season and I'm proud of them no matter what, but I totally believe in these guys and I think they've got a shot to take this series in four games. GO REDS. :beerme: :D :cool:

How's that for a pep talk?! LOL :p:

Griffey012
10-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I voted Phillies in 5. I think the Reds take game 1 or 2 but not both. I think they take game 3 against Hamels. Then the Phils take 4 and 5.

Halladay is not as sure of a bet to dominate as people think, that's why I think the Reds will get game 1 or game 2. Some pitchers are different guys in the postseason, remember CC Sabathia's postseason struggles for the longest time?

The Voice of IH
10-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Reds in 4!

Reds take game 2,3,4!!!!

Cyclone792
10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm stealing this analogy from Jamie Ramsey because it's so good (great movie too) ...

The money's on the other side of that Phillies bridge. But what were to happen if the Reds were to blow up that bridge? Keep your ears open, Captain.

Reds in 4.

Brutus
10-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm stealing this analogy from Jamie Ramsey because it's so good (great movie too) ...

The money's on the other side of that Phillies bridge. But what were to happen if the Reds were to blow up that bridge? Keep your ears open, Captain.

Reds in 4.

Thing is, while I'm not at all optimistic about this series, strangely I'm also not pessemistic about it either. Weird things happen sometimes in the playoffs, and I wonder if the Phillies didn't get rolling early enough they might get derailed this week.

Chip R
10-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Reds in 3.

reds44
10-06-2010, 12:04 AM

BTW-I just got done watching the 30 for 30 movie on ESPN about the Red Sox's improbable comeback in the 2004 ALCS and to borrow a phrase that was used a lot during this movie...why the heck not us??! No one gave those guys a chance to overcome that bad defecit against a tough Yankee team, the 1990 Reds team wasn't given much of a chance vs. the mighty A's, the media folks counted the Reds out for most of the season, and yes, they're counting them out now but why the heck not us? :) This season has been so magical and memorable for so many fans and I just can't wrap my mind around why people can't simply say that anything is possible. Yes, the Phillies are an awesome team, yes they're the faves to get back to the World Series, but hey, this is baseball and ANYTHING can happen. I won't be disappointed at all if I'm wrong, this team has given me way more than I anticipated this season and I'm proud of them no matter what, but I totally believe in these guys and I think they've got a shot to take this series in four games. GO REDS. :beerme: :D :cool:

It's hard not to respect that Red Sox team. I hate the Red Sox even more than the Yankees, but I respect the heck out of that team for what they did.

I loved Kevin Millar before game 4. "Don't let us win tonight..."

SirFelixCat
10-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm usually wrong, Phillies in 4.

Yup, same and same. :laugh:

Will M
10-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Reds in 5.

Beat Holladay & Oswalt once & win game 3 vs Hamels.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2010, 12:59 AM
My head says the Phillies....duh.

However, I've been known to have a clouded thought process from time to time.

Go Reds! A little bit of 1990 could go a long way!

Homer Bailey
10-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Phils in 4. I've undersold the team all year so why quit now?

Bob Borkowski
10-06-2010, 01:10 AM
The Reds in 4. 'A Team of Destiny'.

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Hopefully I am wrong but I think it will be the Phillies in 4. I do think if the Reds can win one of the first 2 games in Philly they have a real chance to pull off the upset.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Hopefully I am wrong but I think it will be the Phillies in 4. I do think if the Reds can win one of the first 2 games in Philly they have a real chance to pull off the upset.

Definitely!

The Operator
10-06-2010, 01:18 AM
If they can come out guns blazing against Halladay tomorrow, who knows what might happen. Of course, that's not to say I want them up there hacking. But a crooked number in inning 1 and/or 2 could let EV settle in, and could get the mojo rolling the right way.

Momentum and psyche are a big part of the postseason, IMO.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Halliday is obviously the highest of echelons when it comes to MLB pitchers, but tomorrow will also be his first playoff appearance. Whether or not if effects him, we'll find out

George Anderson
10-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Phillies in 5.

The nice thing is I picked both the Pirates and A's to win their series against the Reds in 90', so I really don't know what the hell I am talking about alot of the time.

marcshoe
10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
One win in Philly tips the scales. Reds in four.

Cedric
10-06-2010, 01:42 AM
I hope like heck the Reds win.. That's all I know.

I can't sleep I'm so excited/nervous. I just hope Edinson pitches to his true ability. If he does the Reds have a great shot tomorrow.

Captain Hook
10-06-2010, 02:02 AM
If they can come out guns blazing against Halladay tomorrow, who knows what might happen. Of course, that's not to say I want them up there hacking. But a crooked number in inning 1 and/or 2 could let EV settle in, and could get the mojo rolling the right way.

Momentum and psyche are a big part of the postseason, IMO.

It worked once this year.The Reds were completely hacktastic in a day game earlier this year and were able to beat Halladay. Cincinnati managed 4 runs over 8 IP.Roy's not going to walk many so they might as well be ready to swing and swing often.

I've got the Reds in 5.

The Operator
10-06-2010, 02:12 AM
It worked once this year.The Reds were completely hacktastic in a day game earlier this year and were able to beat Halladay. Cincinnati managed 4 runs over 8 IP.Roy's not going to walk many so they might as well be ready to swing and swing often.I was in class during the day game, so I didn't get to see how they approached him. I do remember how big of a deal it was when they came back to beat him, though.

I'm not opposed to being aggressive. I just hope they're smart about the pitches they go after, but I guess that goes without saying.

Side note, I was reading on a Philly forum tonight and one poster put up something like "Well, The Reds are 5-30 against the trio of starting pitchers we're running out there, etc. etc."

Guess it never occurred to him/her that 23 of those win belong to Oswalt, and almost all of them came when he was much younger, and The Reds were mired in the lost decade.

reds44
10-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Didn't the Reds get like 12 hits off of Halladay in that game two? It worked earlier this year, but you're asking to be CG SO if you do it again.

Captain Hook
10-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Didn't the Reds get like 12 hits off of Halladay in that game two? It worked earlier this year, but you're asking to be CG SO if you do it again.

Well he did almost pitch a complete game going 8 and struck out 10 as well,but I'd take the final result of that game.13 hits and 4 runs and a win.

Ron Madden
10-06-2010, 04:10 AM
This is the playoffs, a five game series, anything can happen.

If the Reds win one of the two games in Philly, I like our chances.

If the Reds should win both games in the city of brotherly love...

It's over and Cincinnati, Ohio will once again be "The Baseball Capital Of The World"!

OnBaseMachine
10-06-2010, 04:59 AM
The Reds are going to the World Series IF they get past the Phillies.

GAC
10-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Reds in 3.

Not that I wouldn't like to see that, and wouldn't complain, you do realize we have tickets to game 4 don't you.

I wanna see the Reds clinch it in game 4! :p:

redsmetz
10-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Reds in five, Cordero nailing down the save of a 1-run game. Cincinnati area hospitals report a rash of emergency room visits from Cincinnatians with chest pains.

mth123
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Trying to go into this as positively as possible despite the concerns I've been spouting all year. Coming out party for Jay Bruce as the next big thing becomes the current big thing. Reds in 4.

oneupper
10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Phillies in 3.
The powers that be want the Phillies. Be prepared for strange calls, juiced balls, etc.
/conspiracy.

cumberlandreds
10-06-2010, 08:24 AM
My head says the Phillies in four.
If the Reds can get game 1 I think they have a real shot at winning this series. Philadelphia will go into panic and the pressur eon them will go up immeasurably to win game two. If the Reds lose I can's see any way they could beat the Phils three of the next four though. It's just good being back in the playoffs again. It's been a long wait.

Roy Tucker
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
The Reds in 5.

They split in Philly, they split in Cincy, and the Reds pull off the road upset in game 5.

For game 5, Travis Wood and Roy Halladay repeat their mid-season duel with Wood coming out on top after Votto hits a key 3 run homer in the 6th.

I really hope Dusty doesn't play small ball.

marcshoe
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I may be proven embarrassingly wrong in a few days, but I think the Reds take game 2 against Oswalt without a problem. I think beating Oswalt is symbolic of the team burning the last of its demons (or whatever you do with demons, bury them, lock them in the fridge, whatever. I'm not all that experienced here--I usually play Parcheesi with mine.)

I also think they have a shot today against Halliday. No guarantees. Still, only one win in the first two games turns the momentum in the short series. Two wins, and it's all good.

Feelin' positive. Let's get this thing started.

blumj
10-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Bronson was really good in that, too, talking about walking in after Schilling's surgery--called it almost barbaric?--and A-Rod slapping the ball out of his glove.

Reds in 5, just because it would be the only really big surprise, and baseball is all about surprises.