PDA

View Full Version : Interesting FanGraphs approach:

texasdave
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Because of the way the series schedule is setup, they can – and should – be very liberal with their bullpen usage. The series is set to be played on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday, so only one game will be played without an off day before it. Not only does this allow both teams to just use three starting pitchers, but it also gives the teams a chance to get a lot of innings from their bullpens without overworking individual relievers.

Rest of article:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/nlds-game-one-preview-cincinnati/

Basically what they are saying is don't fight fire with fire. Philadelphia starters are better so counter that by going to the bullpen early and often. With all the scheduled days off, overuse of the 'pen should not be a problem.

Captain13
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Chapman and Massett could pitch EVERY game of this series.

Trace's Daddy
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Could we see Chapman for 2 consecutive innings if the pitcher spot doesn't come up?

Reds
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I could see them stretching Chapman 4-6 batters if the lineup fits.

This can only help a guy like AR. Rolen too.

Helms1
10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
For some reason I see this series as relatively equal offenses (advantage Reds), and overall relatively equal pitching (advantage Phils). I think it will hinge on defense, limiting errors, stealing some bases and manufacturing runs without multiple hits, advancing runners (for the Reds limiting strikeouts with runners on base) and base-running. Do we advance a runner from first to second after he walks and pick up the big hit? Do we get runners home from third with the sac fly?

Look, I feel like a bear in a honey log. I have no expectations this year, and will not be disappointed with a losing outcome. But when you look at the stats and head to head this year, the Reds can win this series. Not going to the west coast is a good thing.

defender
10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I am not sure I want to find out how effective Chapman will be, the third time he faces the same hitters. If the starters are effective, leave them in the game. They are the best pitchers on the team. Use the pen when needed, not just because you can.

redsfan_12
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I think we will see a lot of Chapman...I hope atleast.