PDA

View Full Version : Four Days in October

bucksfan2
10-06-2010, 09:00 AM
It was an ESPN 30 for 30 film that chronicled the Red Sox historic comeback from down 3-0 in 2004. I thought it was fantastic. It brought me back to 2004 and remember watching that series. I still remember thinking if the Red Sox could get to game 6 with Schilling pitching they would win that series. If you get a chance it is well worth watching.

Chip R
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I think there was too much emphasis on the Red Sox and Yankees. ;)

Cyclone792
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I watched it last night, and it was simply phenomenal. Even though the Red Sox/Yankees stuff does get tiring, this is one film that is most definitely worth watching.

SunDeck
10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Did they do one on the Red Sox coming back and winning the '75 series in game six? That's such a great story.

bucksfan2
10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I watched it last night, and it was simply phenomenal. Even though the Red Sox/Yankees stuff does get tiring, this is one film that is most definitely worth watching.

My wife who is not much more than a casual Reds fan was glued to the TV.

As much as ESPN likes to pimp the Sox and Yanks the film was fantastic. A legendary curse, an insurmountable deficit, a fan base who was ready for another kick in the teeth. It was just a very enjoyable hour.

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I have not had a chance to watch this one yet but the whole 30 for 30 series of documentaries has been fantastic.

RANDY IN INDY
10-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Did they do one on the Red Sox coming back and winning the '75 series in game six? That's such a great story.

:laugh: While it made me mad at the time, there is nothing better than hearing Curt Gowdy call the last out in game 7 of the '75 World Series. I thought he was going to just die right there on the air. I am so sick of the Red Sox/Yankees that I can hardly stand it. It's OK when both teams are battling for a title, but having to watch it, over and over and over, regardless of the standings is just sickening.

Cedric
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
:laugh: While it made me mad at the time, there is nothing better than hearing Curt Gowdy call the last out in game 7 of the '75 World Series. I thought he was going to just die right there on the air. I am so sick of the Red Sox/Yankees that I can hardly stand it. It's OK when both teams are battling for a title, but having to watch it, over and over and over, regardless of the standings is just sickening.

Jack Buck is forever tainted in my eyes for how he called the '90 World Series. Absolutely pathetic how bad he favored the A's. What's up with the Reds and announcers?

OnBaseMachine
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Agreed.

Homer Bailey
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Great documentary, but in all honesty I wish it would have been longer. I was a freshman in college, and that series is an unbelievable memory for me. Our entire dorm, for whatever reason, rallied behind that Red Sox team, and hung up posters of Dave Roberts all over the dorm. We had 20 people in a room watching those games, doing our best Manny and Big Papi impersonations, drinking Natural Light until the wee hours of the morning.

A one hour summary of what happened over that 4 day stretch does not do that story justice, IMO.

Cedric
10-06-2010, 11:30 AM

I agree with you about the Red Sox/Yankees also. I root for the Yankees to beat the Red Sox anytime they play now.

The Red Sox became the frat boy/trendy fan favorites and that was enough for me to dislike them.

cumberlandreds
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I never cared for Gowdy after that World Series. He had been the Red Sox PBP guy before going full time with NBC. His bias certainly came out during that series. NBC should have not put him that position though. They should have just went with Garagiola and Kubek the entire series.

15fan
10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Baseball was so much more enjoyable before the Sox rallied to win the 2004 ALCS.

westofyou
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Baseball was so much more enjoyable before the Sox rallied to win the 2004 ALCS.

I'll take the Yankees losing any day of the week. That's a good feeling no matter who beats them.

Eric_the_Red
10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
One of my favorite memories in baseball/sports history. Kevin Millar was absolutely prophetic before game 4. "Don't let us win tonight!" Love it!

And, I will echo other's sentiments that the entire 30 For 30 series has been wonderful. Not a bad one yet. I wish ESPN would keep the series going.

RANDY IN INDY
10-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Does not hurt my feelings when either of these franchises lose.

reds44
10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
One of my favorite memories in baseball/sports history. Kevin Millar was absolutely prophetic before game 4. "Don't let us win tonight!" Love it!

And, I will echo other's sentiments that the entire 30 For 30 series has been wonderful. Not a bad one yet. I wish ESPN would keep the series going.
Hahaha that was my favorite part too. I don't know if he actually believed that or not, but he was telling anybody who would listen.

BoydsOfSummer
10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I no longer watch ESPN except for games, so I have missed this 30 for 30 series. Looks like I need to dial those up.

Cedric
10-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Agreed 100%.

westofyou
10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Agreed 100%.

Because all that Yankees domination the prior 8 years was totally fun?

15fan is a Yankee fan, and to that I say, they and their fans are hardly a joy to experience.

bucksfan2
10-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Great documentary, but in all honesty I wish it would have been longer. I was a freshman in college, and that series is an unbelievable memory for me. Our entire dorm, for whatever reason, rallied behind that Red Sox team, and hung up posters of Dave Roberts all over the dorm. We had 20 people in a room watching those games, doing our best Manny and Big Papi impersonations, drinking Natural Light until the wee hours of the morning.

A one hour summary of what happened over that 4 day stretch does not do that story justice, IMO.

Yea I too wish it would have gone on longer.

I could only imagine what the dorms were like during that World Series. I was a freshman in the dorms in 2000. Our big event was the Bush Gore presidential election. I remember being glued to the TV with promises if a winner was declared to wake everybody up. Dorms are awesome for those big events.

15fan
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

15fan is a Yankee fan, and to that I say, they and their fans are hardly a joy to experience.

I was holding out for a Red Sox - Cubs World Series. It would have set up some epic theater.

1) Would it be possible for both teams to lose the WS?

2) Assuming one team actually won the WS, the meltdown by the losing team's fan/media base would've been cataclysmic beyond words.

But the Red Sox had to ruin it.

blumj
10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I was holding out for a Red Sox - Cubs World Series. It would have set up some epic theater.

2) Assuming one team actually won the WS, the meltdown by the losing team's fan/media base would've been cataclysmic beyond words.

The Cubs are finally coming to Fenway for interleague next year for the first time, the Red Sox have been to Wrigley for interleague once, in 2005. They couldn't have managed to squeeze either of those in once before 2004?

Blimpie
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I have watched nearly all of the 30 on 30 episodes, and this was one of the ones I enjoyed the most.

I could not believe how they were able to weave so many different camera angles and footage selections (camcorders, broadcast, etc...) for Games 4 & 5.

Those extra inning walkoff hits by Ortiz were cold blooded.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-06-2010, 09:51 PM

I agree, with the exception of the Tupac/Tyson one.

That was pretty bad.

Chip R
10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I agree, with the exception of the Tupac/Tyson one.

That was pretty bad.

Yeah, that one wasn't very good. Heck, even my girlfriend liked the one about Rotisserie Baseball and she isn't a baseball fan nor does she know anything about fantasy baseball.

HeatherC1212
10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I was actually in Montreal when that series was going on (with a Red Sox fan too, LOL) and that was one of the most impresive, inspiring performances by a team that I've ever seen. You think about the situation they were in...down 3 games to none, they had 86 years of bad history behind them, they were playing their bitter rivals, and they were facing one of the best closers in history. That was some serious drama going on at Fenway in game four, LOL :laugh: That was just incredible. They never gave up and no matter if you like or hate the RS, you gotta be impressed by how hard that team fought to stay alive, game after game, until they finally won the series in Game 7. I loved seeing the stories behind it and some of the dugout shots were pretty cool. Any team that's ever been down about a tough loss or is in the hole during a series should watch this film and remember that it's never over until the last out is called in the last inning (and whether that's the 9th or the 14 inning is totally irrelevant, LOL). Really great series and a nice job by ESPN and MLB. :)

blumj
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Terry Francona after game 3:
It was disappointing for everybody, but we're not done. I fully expect us to come out tomorrow and play our [butt] off.

It was the way he said it, though, ordinary, just another day, just another game, same old thing.

RedsBaron
10-07-2010, 07:00 AM
I can remember one of the Cincinnati newspapers, I think it was the Enquirer, having a cartoon mocking Gowdy's call of the last out, as his voice weakly faded with Yaz's fly ball settling into Geronimo's glove.
I did love the "Four Days In October" show. I had forgotten the pitching that Arroyo did for the Red Sox in that series, and re-watching Schilling's "bloody sock" performance in game six was inspiring.
The Red Sox have always been my favorite AL team, and, other than the Steelers, I cannot think of any pro team I loathe more than the Yankees, so 2004 was wonderful.

Big Klu
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM

My college roommate was from Chicago, and I asked him once what would happen in the event of a Cubs-White Sox World Series. (This was back in 1991, and the ChiSox hadn't won a World Series since 1917--an even longer drought than the BoSox had!) He replied that he was convinced that such a World Series would go seven games, and Game 7 would be a marathon extra-inning affair. Also, some time during the 17th inning, Armageddon would commence.

Spitball
10-07-2010, 11:27 PM

I hate, hate, hate the Yankees...and can't fathom how anyone who loves baseball can cheer for the Yankees...any more than I can imagine anyone rooting for Goliath against David. The Red Sox might not seem like David, but they do pay out about half a hundred million dollars in contract dollars less than the Yankees do in salaries. That is pretty close to the output of money for about half a dozen major league teams. The Red Sox, the Rays, and all of baseball are the Davids to the New York Goliaths.

I just received this e-mail from a friend who was watching the Twins-Yankees:

I just had a brilliant idea. The Twins have a Daisey BB Gun night
where the first 20,000 twins fans get a BB Gun and a box of 5,000
BB's. Just a thought.

I like his brilliant idea.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-07-2010, 11:41 PM
The Yankees are hard for me to hate. They have a bunch of likable guys on that team, including Ohio State's own Nick Swisher.

Carry on.

Cyclone792
10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Not that it'll do any good, but I DVR'd this the other night. There's a chance I may be watching it again before Sunday in hopes of finding some sort of inspiration, however remote it may be.

Eric_the_Red
10-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Not that it'll do any good, but I DVR'd this the other night. There's a chance I may be watching it again before Sunday in hopes of finding some sort of inspiration, however remote it may be.

Can we bring in Millar for a pep talk?

Hoosier Red
10-08-2010, 11:35 PM

Didn't the sox get blown out in game 3 in an especially embarrassing way? As I recall there was no reason to believe they had a comeback in them.

reds44
10-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Didn't the sox get blown out in game 3 in an especially embarrassing way? As I recall there was no reason to believe they had a comeback in them.
In the words of the movie Fever Pitch, "19 to 8 good God."

blumj
10-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Bronson started it, and the whole bullpen followed his lead. Ramiro Mendoza actually balked in a runner that Arroyo left when he got pulled in the 3rd.

reds44
10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Oswalt against Arroyo in Game 5 would be awfully juicy.

Hoosier Red
10-09-2010, 10:13 AM
In the words of the movie Fever Pitch, "19 to 8 good God."

Okay. Don't ever quote Fever Pitch.
Ever.

blumj
10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Ever.
Can you imagine seeing Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon running onto the field right after your team had just won their first championship in 86 years? It's not enough to ruin it, nothing could be, but it comes about as close as anything except a natural disaster could have.

vaticanplum
10-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I hate, hate, hate the Yankees...and can't fathom how anyone who loves baseball can cheer for the Yankees...any more than I can imagine anyone rooting for Goliath against David.

Statements like this are just ridiculous. There are thousands of reasons to fall in love with a team. It's possible that the Yankees have more fans than any other team in baseball and it's laughable to think that nary a one of them has a genuine love for the sport of baseball.

Eric_the_Red
10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Ever.

"The outfield grass....was it spongy?"

Not a great movie, but that was a funny line.