PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Roster Finalized

Reds
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Edmonds left off of roster. More reaction and info when and if it becomes available.

Pitchers: Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Francisco Cordero, Arthur Rhodes, Nick Masset, Aroldis Chapman, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray, Homer Bailey, Travis Wood.

Position Players: Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Jonny Gomes, Ramon Hernandez, Ryan Hanigan, Chris Heisey, Laynce Nix, Miguel Cairo, Paul Janish, Francisco.

Newman4
10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
That's about right in my opinion. Let's play some baseball.

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
No real surprises here. I wonder what they will say about Edmonds.

Reds
10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Edmonds would have helped. They waited until the last minute to make the call, my guess is he was too sore to run well for a few more days, and wasting a spot was not an option. With a series win the Reds could add Edmonds to the roster next round, otherwise his career is likely over, which is a shame.

FlightRick
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Did Alonso come up too late to be playoff eligible? Or did the Reds just flat-out decide against him in favor of Francisco?

Because, honestly, that's the only thing I'd have done differently if I were assembling the roster. My depth chart for the 25th spot probably would have been Edmonds > Alonso > Francisco, but hell, that's picking nits, isn't it?

It's great to have everybody healthy (knock on wood), so that the Redlegs can put their 25 best guys out there. Folks make a lot about how Philly has gotten better since their pre-All-Star-break crotch-kicking of the Reds... but just as they've gotten Utley and Lidge back and added Oswalt since July, let's not forget the Reds weren't at 100% back then, either. Hernandez and Volquez were on the DL, Rolen was banged up and resting every-other-day, and we've since added a secret weapon by the name of Chapman. We're a different -- hopefully better -- team today than we were back then, too.

Go Reds!

Rick

markymark69
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I was hoping that Edmonds would be ready - just from an experience factor. Francisco does have some pop and the post-season seems to always bring about strange heroes - maybe that will be Big Juan.

Reds
10-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Did Alonso come up too late to be playoff eligible? Or did the Reds just flat-out decide against him in favor of Francisco?

Alonso was left off because:

“(Francisco) can play more positions,” Dusty Baker said. “If Rolen comes up sore or something, we’ve got another bonafide third baseman.”

Captain13
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Rick

Dusty said he likes Francisco because he can play more positions. I don't know that I agree, but that's Dusty. :cool:

Reds
10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Or he's just really concerned about Rolen.? That's all good, but if Edmonds could have played he would have, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Shame for Jimmy if we don't move forward.

GoBarryGo
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Are players not on the playoff roster allowed to be in the dugout in uniform? If so, I would hope to see Edmonds hanging out down there, as a veteran guy who has been there before.

davereds24
10-06-2010, 03:47 PM
yes they can be in the dugout

DocRed
10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Dusty said he likes Francisco because he can play more positions. I don't know that I agree, but that's Dusty. :cool:

Hmm..isn't he just a 3rd and 1st basemen? I assume he could play 1st as well.

Girevik
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I think Francisco can play some OF too, in a pinch.