PDA

View Full Version : A question for all

Defacto
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Would you root for a no hitter or perfect game for history or against it if it was against your team? I'd root for it.

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Would you root for a no hitter or perfect game for history or against it if it was against your team? I'd root for it.

Against. I was tonight.
Halladay pitched a perfect game this year and I consider it less an accomplishment for him since it's not rare for him.

knoonan991
10-06-2010, 08:15 PM

In the postseason, under no circumstance.

Regular season, it depends I guess.

Defacto
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Against. I was tonight.
Halladay pitched a perfect game this year and I consider it less an accomplishment for him since it's not rare for him.

How many times do you get to see a pitcher pitch a no hitter and a perfect game in the same season, though?

mroby85
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

I was rooting for a cheap swinging bunt type single that almost happened for phillips. Mainly because Philadelphia fans are annoying.

will5979
10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I was rooting for a cheap swinging bunt type single that almost happened for phillips. Mainly because Philadelphia fans are annoying.

Would rather lose to Philly than Atlanta.

arkimadee
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
i feel numb.. i don't know what to think right now

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
How many times do you get to see a pitcher pitch a no hitter and a perfect game in the same season, though?

Not many. But I'm not the nostalgic sort for someone else's pitcher in the post season against my team.

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 08:24 PM

I am with you.

mlh1981
10-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Not in the postseason.

I want to win games.

mlh1981
10-06-2010, 08:28 PM

They are very annoying.

I was there this past Summer for some Reds vs. Phillies games, and they live up to the rep.

Girevik
10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm pretty numb, but unfortunately I'm thinking that I'll make the trip to Cincy on Sunday to watch the Phillies celebrate. Hopefully that's just the old pessemist coming out.

ol'Sparky
10-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Go redlegs !! .. good for roy , however i wanna jay bruce solo bomb always !!

arkimadee
10-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty numb, but unfortunately I'm thinking that I'll make the trip to Cincy on Sunday to watch the Phillies celebrate. Hopefully that's just the old pessemist coming out.
i hope thats not the case. Funny thing about a series like this is that if we somehow win Friday, then we have momentum back on our side

BlastFurnace
10-06-2010, 09:29 PM

I rooted for it from the 5th Inning on tonight....and had no problem doing it. This was history we witnessed tonight.

gedred69
10-06-2010, 11:27 PM

How about humiliation.......If Reds survive long enough to see Holliday again, I want to see him knocked out in the 1st. Doubtful though. Reds hitters looked liked the perverbial "Deer in the Headlights".

redsfandoug
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I do not pull for a no hitter against the Reds, no matter what the circumstances are.

New York Red
10-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I can't say I was rooting for Halladay to toss a no-no the last couple innings, but I did think we'd lose both games he pitches in this series. So my mindset in the late innings today was, if he loses the no-hitter, I hope we have legitimate hits and we tie the game or even take the lead. If the final score was still going to be 4-0, I would rather see a great pitcher like Halladay throw a no-hitter than a 1-hitter, 2-hitter, etc. I'm just a big fan of great individual performances. And we witnessed one of the greatest ever today.

coryfly
10-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Never, not in the postseason, regular season, exhibition, backyard game, etc... If they were down 30 runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and the pitcher had only throw 26 pitches the entire game I would be pulling like hell for a hit and a rally. I never pull for anything against my team and I never want history to happen against my team.

webbbj
10-07-2010, 12:42 AM
i was mad stubbs didnt lay down a bunt to try to get on. i rarely watch any other baseball games that arent reds games so i really dont care about history. i wanted the reds to avoid bad history for themselves.

TheBigLebowski
10-07-2010, 07:54 AM
We're Reds fans, for crying out loud. Our first post-season game since 1995 and we get no-hit? A little on-the-nose, don't you think?

It should have been predictable....and yeah, I give credit where it is due....but I was hoping against all hope that we at least found a way to scratch out a single. Make history against someone else.

chettt
10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
My rooting for a pitcher to throw a no-hitter against the Reds is about the same as the Philly Fans rooting for the visiting team.

Girevik
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM
i hope thats not the case. Funny thing about a series like this is that if we somehow win Friday, then we have momentum back on our side

I feel a little better now than I did last night. I was afraid that being no-hit would start the snow ball rolling for the Reds, but after listing to the sportscasters who were in the locker room after they game, they said the Reds didn't seem down or frustrated....more in awe of a great performance.

That said, tomorrow's game is HUGE. I just wish they didn't have the day off so I could get the taste out of my mouth.

mr. red
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
I've been waiting 15 years (since I was 6 years old) to see a playoff game and a playoff win. I have not been waiting 15 years to see Roy Halladay throw a no hitter against my favorite team.

TeamSelig
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Some of you guys seriously rooted for a no hitter against the Reds? Wow.

bounty37h
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM

I would never root for anything good for another team against us, thats crazy. I was hoping Phillips would drop a bunt single down the final at bat. It was a great game by Halliday.

bounty37h
10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I rooted for it from the 5th Inning on tonight....and had no problem doing it. This was history we witnessed tonight.

Wow, lame IMO, history was the first time it was done, second time means nothing as far as history. Not to take anything from Roys awesome performance, but I would be pretty PO'ed this morning if I was Don Larson and people are using us in the same sentance that he matched me-Don was perfect, Roy was close.

Hey Meat
10-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Not me. I felt like Ueck on Major League, but I couldn't even say " One hit, One @#$ $#@% hit."

New York Red
10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Some of you guys seriously rooted for a no hitter against the Reds? Wow.
I doubt any Reds fan rooted for the Reds to be no-hit. But once it got into the 8th and 9th innings, and became more and more likely, then I think a lot of fans found it exciting to possibly witness something that had only been done previously one time in the entire history of the game, and that one time was 54 years ago. That's not the same as rooting for the Reds to be no-hit. At least not in my opinion.

TheBigLebowski
10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Not me. I felt like Ueck on Major League, but I couldn't even say " One hit, One @#$ $#@% hit."

"JUUUUUUST a bit outside"

Jr's Boy
10-07-2010, 02:35 PM
History be damned,no way I root for the other team.

BlastFurnace
10-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Wow, lame IMO, history was the first time it was done, second time means nothing as far as history. Not to take anything from Roys awesome performance, but I would be pretty PO'ed this morning if I was Don Larson and people are using us in the same sentance that he matched me-Don was perfect, Roy was close.

That's your opinion bounty and that's your right. I am not the only one who feels this way. It was talked about all morning long on numerous national talk shows as well. Like I have said earlier, I could care less what anyone thinks. The OP asked a question and I answered it. Sorry that you don't like it.

BlastFurnace
10-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I doubt any Reds fan rooted for the Reds to be no-hit. But once it got into the 8th and 9th innings, and became more and more likely, then I think a lot of fans found it exciting to possibly witness something that had only been done previously one time in the entire history of the game, and that one time was 54 years ago. That's not the same as rooting for the Reds to be no-hit. At least not in my opinion.

Finally...someone who gets it!

Kingspoint
10-08-2010, 12:12 AM
That's a no-brainer.

Against it at all costs including yelling at the pitcher from the stands to try to distract him.

Can't imagine why anyone would ever want an opposing pitcher to embarrass the home team like that.

texasdave
10-08-2010, 12:16 AM
You cannot reconcile these two statements.

I am a fan of the Reds.

I want the Reds to make outs.

It can't be done.

texasdave
10-08-2010, 12:23 AM
All you people that wanted to see history how about this scenario? A pitcher pitches 8 hitless inning and then gives up a five runs capped off by a grand slam to lose the game 5-4. Very likely that would instantly become the most famous home run ever hit by a Cincinnati batter. They would be talking about that game in Cincinnati FOREVER! That's the kind of history a Reds' fan should have been hoping for.

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 12:38 AM
That's a no-brainer.

Against it at all costs including yelling at the pitcher from the stands to try to distract him.

Can't imagine why anyone would ever want an opposing pitcher to embarrass the home team like that.

Then why is it...in opposing ballparks...when the visiting pitcher carries a no-hitter to the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning...that he gets a loud ovation of appreciation by the opposing fans if the no-hitter was broken. I've seen this happen quite a bit.

bounty37h
10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
That's your opinion bounty and that's your right. I am not the only one who feels this way. It was talked about all morning long on numerous national talk shows as well. Like I have said earlier, I could care less what anyone thinks. The OP asked a question and I answered it. Sorry that you don't like it.

You said you rooted for it from the 5'th inning on, that is rooting against the Reds for half of a game in the playoffs. That means you rooted for the Philies for 5 innings.

freestyle55
10-08-2010, 01:52 PM

This.

15 years we wait, had to listen to Colin Cowherd for a couple months now say that the Reds were a joke, finally make it to a national stage, and they get just flat out depantsed like that, I'll pass...

Hustleman
10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
under no circumstances would i root for a no hitter/perfect game against my team

Captain13
10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
under no circumstances would i root for a no hitter/perfect game against my team

Well, maybe one circumstance...he is on my fantasy team.:cool:

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 02:08 PM
You said you rooted for it from the 5'th inning on, that is rooting against the Reds for half of a game in the playoffs. That means you rooted for the Philies for 5 innings.

Yes I did. If you don't like it...sorry. I'm happy you had a different mindset. No big deal.

Krawhitham
10-08-2010, 02:29 PM

against, from the 7th on all I wanted was just ONE hit

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I would root against the no hitter or perfect game if it was against the Reds

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Jr's Boy and me are on the same wavelength. Hostory be damed, there is no way I root against the Reds.

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Here is a question for all : Can the reds light up Roy Oswalt tonight??

swaisuc
10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Going in a slightly different direction here....

I honestly think its better for the Reds moving on to the next game that the No-hitter happened. I was thinking by about the 8th inning, if we have to lose this game, we're probably better off getting no-hit. Let the Phils celebrate as if they've won the world series and we'll come to work on Friday ready to prove something. It introduced a variable into "who will win this series" that would not have existed if Roy had just thrown a 1-hit shutout.

As far as "to see history"? Heck no. Thats a terrible reason to root against the home team.

Hustleman
10-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Here is a question for all : Can the reds light up Roy Oswalt tonight??

certainly :thumbup:

Kingspoint
10-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Then why is it...in opposing ballparks...when the visiting pitcher carries a no-hitter to the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning...that he gets a loud ovation of appreciation by the opposing fans if the no-hitter was broken. I've seen this happen quite a bit.

Because he deserves it. If it's "broken", I'm giving him a standing ovation, too, for the effort, but while he's working on it, I'm giving everything I've got to make sure it's broken. If he ends up pitching the no-hitter, I give him a standing ovation, but I'm still doing everything I can to the last pitch to make sure it doesn't happen.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Because he deserves it. If it's "broken", I'm giving him a standing ovation, too, for the effort, but while he's working on it, I'm giving everything I've got to make sure it's broken. If he ends up pitching the no-hitter, I give him a standing ovation, but I'm still doing everything I can to the last pitch to make sure it doesn't happen.

I agree with you, but I can't do that from my living room.

TC81190
10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
In the regular season, I'd be fine with a perfect game, no-hitters not so much, those are a dime a dozen as far as historical feats go. In the postseason though, no way, I want my team to do anything it can to avoid being on the receiving end of being the 2nd team to ever get no-hit in the postseason.

bigtuna2010
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
To answer your question: I was extremely mad when stubbs didnt try to bunt in the 8th and phillips not bunting in the 9th. The fact that Dusty didnt try something is a testament of how bad of a coach Dusty really is. The team couldnt see the ball that well and not trying to manufacture baserunners just shows you that Dusty gave up and would rather see a NoNO. For heaven sake we were still in "Slam Range"