PDA

View Full Version : I Tip My Cap To Roy Halladay

arkimadee
10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
That had to be one of the greatest pitching performances of all time. I was telling our sports guy at that tv station I work at in the 4th inning that he could write this one down as being a perfect game. I was close, but I have seen perfect games that were not pitched that well. No Reds hitter came even close to getting a base hit at any point in the game. That was just surreal. I was so mad that we were losing but a part of me told me to get the radio out and listen to Marty's call of this because it was baseball history.

It was bad that the Reds got no hit. I have a feeling though that the Reds won't be remembered for being bad, but Halladay will be remembered for how good he was on this night. He was that.

Well now on to game 2. We have to put that one behind us because we are still 2 loses away from elimination. Win the next game and we get homefield advantage back. Also remember that Roy Halladay can only pitch 2 games in this series..!!

Maker_84
10-06-2010, 09:06 PM
whenever a team gets no hit, half is on how well the pitcher pitched and how bad the other team batted.

arkimadee
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
whenever a team gets no hit, half is on how well the pitcher pitched and how bad the other team batted.
well we didn't dissapoint on our contributions to the no hitter.. lol

mlh1981
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
That had to be one of the greatest pitching performances of all time. I was telling our sports guy at that tv station I work at in the 4th inning that he could write this one down as being a perfect game. I was close, but I have seen perfect games that were not pitched that well. No Reds hitter came even close to getting a base hit at any point in the game. That was just surreal. I was so mad that we were losing but a part of me told me to get the radio out and listen to Marty's call of this because it was baseball history.

It was bad that the Reds got no hit. I have a feeling though that the Reds won't be remembered for being bad, but Halladay will be remembered for how good he was on this night. He was that.

Well now on to game 2. We have to put that one behind us because we are still 2 loses away from elimination. Win the next game and we get homefield advantage back. Also remember that Roy Halladay can only pitch 2 games in this series..!!

I sure hope you are right, because we played great baseball for large stretches of the year, and when we finally get a national audience and a chance to show them what the Cincinnati Reds are all about, we get no-hit.

BlastFurnace
10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I know I am in the minority, but this was the first No-Hitter I have ever seen....and I was pretty excited to see it.

mlh1981
10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I know I am in the minority, but this was the first No-Hitter I have ever seen....and I was pretty excited to see it.

I would have been, too, if it hadn't cost us a postseason loss.

Maker_84
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
all u ppl that r happy to see a no hitter against the Reds r crazy and i question your loyalty

aldotcs
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
all u ppl that r happy to see a no hitter against the Reds r crazy and i question your loyalty

I don't see them as disloyal...they are looking at the art that is baseball. I can only see it through the eyes of a disgruntled Reds fan. But I can agree to disagree without calling them out.

BlastFurnace
10-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Been a diehard Reds fan since 1974. I'm also a huge baseball fan in general and the history of the game. It's one loss, that is it. It really doesn't matter if you judge me or anyone else on the board.

Oxblood
10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Outstanding performance.

Piss poor on our part tho

Vottomatic
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I was annoyed at the time. Was hoping for an enjoyable performance by the Reds, even if we lost..........woulda been nice to show we belonged.

I do think he had a big strike zone.

But I will also tip my hat to Roy Halladay for a brilliant performance.

No shame in being no-hit. Been lots of no-hitters in the history of MLB, and this one won't be the last.

Krawhitham
10-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I Tip My Cap To Roy Halladay

F that, never tip your hat to the enemy.

In game two they need to brush some of the philly hitters back. They were hanging over the plate all night and effectively took half the plate away from the Reds pitchers, hell Victorino stepped on the plate when he hit the double in the 1st inning.

arkimadee
10-06-2010, 10:37 PM

In game two they need to brush some of the philly hitters back. They were hanging over the plate all night and effectively took half the plate away from the Reds pitchers, hell Victorino stepped on the plate when he hit the double in the 1st inning.
I can do whatever I want

F. Monihan
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I was annoyed at the time. Was hoping for an enjoyable performance by the Reds, even if we lost..........woulda been nice to show we belonged.

I do think he had a big strike zone.

But I will also tip my hat to Roy Halladay for a brilliant performance.

No shame in being no-hit. Been lots of no-hitters in the history of MLB, and this one won't be the last.

You're right again. Although in the history of postseason MLB this is only the 2nd.

New York Red
10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Been a diehard Reds fan since 1974. I'm also a huge baseball fan in general and the history of the game. It's one loss, that is it. It really doesn't matter if you judge me or anyone else on the board.
I'm right there with you. I'm a lifelong fan of the Reds, but also a lifelong baseball fan. What we saw today was something baseball fans are likely to never see again in our lifetimes. One of the game's great pitchers finally got a chance to pitch in the postseason and he didn't just shine - he produced one of the greatest postseason performances in the history of the game. I thought it was pretty awesome, actually.

Our season didn't end today. It's a loss. One loss. No different than losing a 4-3 game. I predicted we'd lose Game 1 and Game 4 - the games Roy Halladay pitches. Yes, we got to him one time this year, but I didn't expect to beat him in this series. This series will be decided in games 2, 3 and 5. Today I tip my cap to the best pitcher in the game on his finest moment. Now lets get on with the series.

RedsFanIN
10-07-2010, 01:56 AM

Its not about respecting your enemy, its about respecting the game! Halladay pitched one of the best games ever in the post season. You cant take that away from him just because he is on the other team. Todays game was one of those really rare moments that is going to be remembered and talked about for a very long time.

10-07-2010, 03:21 AM
This whole season, I wanted the Reds to play in the playoffs in the worst way possible. That definitely happened tonight. ;)

texasdave
10-07-2010, 03:37 AM
The Reds should have two gamesworth of hits on Friday. Poor Roy O. Roy Halladay reminded me of Kevin Brown when he was in his prime.

Rockermann
10-07-2010, 08:35 AM
You know, it's true, Halladay pitched a GREAT game. No two ways about that. I would tip my hat to him, but I'm a little disappointed he never took one of the numerous opportunities he had after the game to give a little nod to the Reds. Never once (that I heard) did he say something like, "As you can tell by their numbers, those guys over there are a good bunch of hitters. It makes it even better to be able to do something like I did against such a talented group." Nothing like that... not even close. It was all about him.

He could have made himself look that much better, but pumping up the other side and proving how good he had to be to shut 'em down. But what do I know...

Jefferson24
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM

You might want to credit the umpire with 20%, that was one large strike zone. With Halladay's control he can live a few inches off the plate and get strikes called all night, and he did just that.

Girevik
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
If it were a regular season game, and I was in the stadium. I might pull for an opposing no-no just to say I saw one. But NOT in the playoffs.

CySeymour
10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I agree with the majority...kudos to Halladay, who is not only the games greatest pitcher, but a class act. On the bright side for the Reds, the bullpen was outstanding!

mivers176
10-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm torn on it - I was so pumped up for this game that the disappointed that we laid an egg on offense (mike and mike this morning made a good point, 16 first pitch strikes out of 25 were looking - at some point go up and hack early as the more pitches he threw per ab, the farther out of the zone they got).

Halladay is awesome and dominated for sure...

I guess you just let it go and hope that we rebound vs Oswalt, but it sure doesnt get a whole lot easier the next two.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
After that performance, we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs.

Just embarrassing.

texasdave
10-07-2010, 10:25 AM
After that performance, we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs.

Just embarrassing.

You weren't. Your team finished second.

HarlieChustle
10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Second nothing.. at this rate were going to finish tied for 8th

bounty37h
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Not judging at all, jsut curious, you have been a die hard Reds fan since 74, and a huge fan in general of the game and history, yet have never seen a no hitter? Im confused.

smixsell
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
That was the best post-season pitching performance I have ever seen, and I've been following regularly since 1972.

Congrats to Roy H.

No one, not even the 27 Yanks or 75 Reds would have scored a run off him the way he was throwing last night.

Interestingly enough, I think Roy's masterful performance will actually give the Reds a better chance to prevail in the series, by p*****g them off more than a mere ordinary defeat. This team doesn't like to lose and has played very well after getting embarrassed.

While, strictly speaking, they shouldn't be "embarrassed" by being overpowered by Roy H last night (as I said before, ANY lineup would have been shut out), anytime a competitor gets shackled like that, he's a gonna get a little "extra" fired up.

Go Reds!

WF28
10-07-2010, 08:32 PM
He's amazing to watch every week. So glad we got him. :)

ol'Sparky
10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Hat tipped .. NOW LET'S WIN game 2 !!

arkimadee
10-07-2010, 10:13 PM
:thumbup:

BlastFurnace
10-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Not judging at all, jsut curious, you have been a die hard Reds fan since 74, and a huge fan in general of the game and history, yet have never seen a no hitter? Im confused.

I have read about No-Hitters, seen the highlights of them and the like...but I have never watched a No-Hitter from start to finish live on television or at the ballpark. Call it bad luck, I don't know. I had tickets to the Rangers game in the mid 90's when Kenny Rogers threw his perfect game and I didn't go..and I didn't see the game either. That's why I was cheering to see this yesterday. Not to mention, all my life I have heard about Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956. To be able to see the 2nd No-Hitter ever pitched in over 2,500 playoff games in the history of the game is special.