PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Claim Ryan Tucker, DFA Rich Harden

Gallen5862
10-06-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rangers Claim Ryan Tucker, DFA Rich Harden

Harden, meanwhile, signed a one-year contract last winter which includes an $11MM mutual option for 2011. Considering the righty didn't even pitch well enough this year to crack the Rangers' ALDS roster, the team figures to have to pay the $1MM buyout

Gallen5862
10-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Should the Reds claim Harden on waivers and add to their 40 Man Roster? Would you spend the money Harang would have received and use it on Harden?

Tornon
10-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Should the Reds claim Harden on waivers and add to their 40 Man Roster? Would you spend the money Harang would have received and use it on Harden?

He's a real gamble if he's gonna be healthy or not.. and even last year when he was healthy all year, he wasn't all that good. Personally I'd like to just stick with the guys we have

Brutus
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
If the Reds want to take a gamble on any injured SP type, Brandon Webb is the guy I'd like to see this offseason.

CTA513
10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
The Reds already have enough guys who can rack up high pitch counts in 5 or 6 innings.

Eric_the_Red
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Zero interest.

kaldaniels
10-07-2010, 01:04 AM
It's scary how many "can't miss" arms fall off the map.

The Operator
10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
If the Reds want to take a gamble on any injured SP type, Brandon Webb is the guy I'd like to see this offseason.And I think that will happen. It's a Walt move if there ever was one.

Doesn't hurt that Webb is from KY either. I really do see it happening.

Brutus
10-07-2010, 01:53 AM
And I think that will happen. It's a Walt move if there ever was one.

Doesn't hurt that Webb is from KY either. I really do see it happening.

It definitely seems like a move Jocketty would make. While Webb thinks he's going to get a nice payday, I think he'll have to settle for an incentive-laden contract with a fat bonus for reaching 'x' number of innings.

kaldaniels
10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
It definitely seems like a move Jocketty would make. While Webb thinks he's going to get a nice payday, I think he'll have to settle for an incentive-laden contract with a fat bonus for reaching 'x' number of innings.

I'm assuming Webb would be signed with the goal of getting him in the rotation. If so, (and this is to anyone who wants him) who are the 3 players below that you would not want in the regular rotation?

Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
Wood

The Operator
10-07-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm assuming Webb would be signed with the goal of getting him in the rotation. If so, (and this is to anyone who wants him) who are the 3 players below that you would not want in the regular rotation?

Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
WoodThat's a great problem to have. Figure out the guys you want in there, stash one or two in the minors, and turn the others into a LF or SS type.

Brutus
10-07-2010, 02:14 AM

Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
Wood

Though people are largely guessing Arroyo's option gets picked up, I actually don't anticipate it. So that's one down.

I think Cueto could wind up being traded for a LF'er or SS. The Reds could get creative and trade Cueto/Alonso and possibly find a pretty good player somewhere.

Chapman, while the spoken plan is to move him back to the rotation, I haven't ruled out the possibility he stays in the bullpen. Mind you, I prefer him to develop a third pitch and be a hellacious starter, but I am not sure that's what they'll do (though Jocketty has said it is).

That would leave Wood, Bailey, Leake and Volquez with a nice spot for Webb.

I like Cueto, so before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm of the mindset you buy low and sell high. I have no problem with Cueto, and that's precisely why I think you take advantage of your surplus of pitchers and use him as a valuable trade asset.

WVRedsFan
10-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Should the Reds claim Harden on waivers and add to their 40 Man Roster? Would you spend the money Harang would have received and use it on Harden?No. I'd rather keep and prefer to keep Harang. We don't need another retread.

Cedric
10-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Though people are largely guessing Arroyo's option gets picked up, I actually don't anticipate it. So that's one down.

I think Cueto could wind up being traded for a LF'er or SS. The Reds could get creative and trade Cueto/Alonso and possibly find a pretty good player somewhere.

Chapman, while the spoken plan is to move him back to the rotation, I haven't ruled out the possibility he stays in the bullpen. Mind you, I prefer him to develop a third pitch and be a hellacious starter, but I am not sure that's what they'll do (though Jocketty has said it is).

That would leave Wood, Bailey, Leake and Volquez with a nice spot for Webb.

I like Cueto, so before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm of the mindset you buy low and sell high. I have no problem with Cueto, and that's precisely why I think you take advantage of your surplus of pitchers and use him as a valuable trade asset.

I couldn't agree more. I like Cueto but his K/9 has decreased three years running. I hope Walt can get some high level talent based off his solid ERA and his supposed stuff.

The three players with some value I would try to move the most would be Cueto/Phillips/Alonso.

Brutus
10-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I couldn't agree more. I like Cueto but his K/9 has decreased three years running. I hope Walt can get some high level talent based off his solid ERA and his supposed stuff.

The three players with some value I would try to move the most would be Cueto/Phillips/Alonso.

Yep. I actually posted yesterday in the minor league forum that I'd love to seek a trade for someone like Sean Rodriguez and see what the market is like for Phillips. I don't want to trade him just on account of his raise to $11 mil, but that combined with an expected decrease coming in a season or two, and I would trade him while he has a lot of value. Of course, I'm cognizant that next year has the chance to be another real good year, and I don't want to gut the current roster, but I think there are a lot of ways to put out a real good team next season.

BoydsOfSummer
10-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Snag him and make him the closer.

Heath
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Boyd beat me to it.

redsfandan
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd pass. 40 man spots are too valuable to just give out to someone like Harden. Hopefully Walt makes a trade or two in the offseason (Alonso?) that takes care of that while improving the team/organization. But, IF he's available after the 1st of the year I'd consider him if the terms were right. ... Wait a minute, since it would be a waiver pickup how much would the Reds be on the hook for with Harden?

Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
Wood
3 players? I really don't count Chapman and Arroyo since Chapman needs time in the minors and Arroyo might not be back. And, I'd want to start Webb off in AAA so we'd know for sure when he's ready to help in the major league rotation.

Do you have someone lined up already to take on Cordero's contract?

buckeyenut
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd pass. 40 man spots are too valuable to just give out to someone like Harden. Hopefully Walt makes a trade or two in the offseason (Alonso?) that takes care of that while improving the team/organization. But, IF he's available after the 1st of the year I'd consider him if the terms were right. ... Wait a minute, since it would be a waiver pickup how much would the Reds be on the hook for with Harden?

3 players? I really don't count Chapman and Arroyo since Chapman needs time in the minors and Arroyo might not be back. And, I'd want to start Webb off in AAA so we'd know for sure when he's ready to help in the major league rotation.

Do you have someone lined up already to take on Cordero's contract?

arroyo will be back. Too much value in his option. Now, we might turn around and trade him or someone else as a result, but no way you turn down what is ultimately a bargain of an option.

No way Chapman, after lighting up the nation and kicking butt during his time in majors, goes back to AAA. IMO, he is in majors for good at this point, whether in pen or rotation.

redsfandan
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
arroyo will be back. Too much value in his option. Now, we might turn around and trade him or someone else as a result, but no way you turn down what is ultimately a bargain of an option.

No way Chapman, after lighting up the nation and kicking butt during his time in majors, goes back to AAA. IMO, he is in majors for good at this point, whether in pen or rotation.
Arroyo might be back but I wouldn't call it a given.

If Chapman starts next year with the Reds it won't be as a starter. He needs more time trying to become a starter first. And he's much more valuable if he can do that.