PDA

View Full Version : Now I remember why I stopped watching baseball

redssince75
10-08-2010, 08:30 AM
About 10 years ago. The 6 losing teams have scored 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, and 4. Not one "gripping" game in the bunch or a time when you felt like the dominant pitcher was going to lose.

The Reds got me all excited and watching again this year, but geez, at this rate, give me soccer.

Stray
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe baseball isn't for you then? Pitching usually wins in the postseason, this isn't anything new.

We're the best offensive team in the league, and we were totally shut down by the best pitching performance I've ever seen. Our realistic goal was to win one of the first two games, and that is still possible. You can't lose a series in game 1...no hit, beat 22-0, or lose 2-1. It's just one game.

bounty37h
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
later, enjoy watching guys kick a ball up and down a field.

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 10:48 AM
About 10 years ago. The 6 losing teams have scored 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, and 4. Not one "gripping" game in the bunch or a time when you felt like the dominant pitcher was going to lose.

The Reds got me all excited and watching again this year, but geez, at this rate, give me soccer.

Hang in there man. Not every baseball game this year ended up 11-10. The Reds are in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Enjoy it while it lasts!

redssince75
10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Hang in there man. Not every baseball game this year ended up 11-10. The Reds are in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Enjoy it while it lasts!

It's not really the lack scoring so much that bothers me. It's the complete lack of drama or the sense that "anything can happen". The Yankees are winning. *yawn*. The Rays and Reds are losing. *yawn*. Tim Lincecum pitches a great game. *yawn* Looks like we'll have the overdogs, Yankees-Rangers and Phillies-Giants, in the semifinals. *yawn*

Wake me when it's over, or better yet, give me the best sport in the world (college football) any day.

brm7675
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
If you can't get excited watching last nights SF/Atlanta game, then you are dead. To see the Rangers spanking the Rays is great. This is baseball not a video game.

redssince75
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
If you can't get excited watching last nights SF/Atlanta game, then you are dead. To see the Rangers spanking the Rays is great. This is baseball not a video game.

I admit, of the 6 games so far, that is the only one that has moved the needle a little. But, that's because I like watching the little guy pitch. But at no point did I ever feel like Atlanta was actually going to score and make it a game.....there was no drama, and has been NO drama the first 6 games except whether Halladay would pitch a no hitter.

Blah.

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
It's not really the lack scoring so much that bothers me. It's the complete lack of drama or the sense that "anything can happen". The Yankees are winning. *yawn*. The Rays and Reds are losing. *yawn*. Tim Lincecum pitches a great game. *yawn* Looks like we'll have the overdogs, Yankees-Rangers and Phillies-Giants, in the semifinals. *yawn*

Wake me when it's over, or better yet, give me the best sport in the world (college football) any day.

It just may not be for you. I have found each game to be fun to watch, but then again, I love watching baseball.

It's funny, I love the NFL, but I can't stand College Football. College Football is nothing more than a Beauty Pageant.

webbbj
10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
i love watching great pitching duels personally.

to say there is no drama is just silly to say.

the rays are proabably the AL favorite and are down 2-0.
a no hitter
giants braves 1-0 nail biting victory
yankees w/ the late game dramatics.

its only been 2 games and just 1 for the reds.. in any sport every game is not gonna have epic late game finishes.

Hey Meat
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I love watching baseball. If it is a 1-0 game, chances are you are watching a master in motion. Some people have sports ADD and can't watch baseball. Not me, I love it. Now on the other hand I would rather watch turtles mate or paint dry than watch an NBA game and this is coming from a guy that coached basketball for 15 years and played basketball from a young age into college. Love watching baseball.

Vottomatic
10-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Try girls volleyball. It's very exciting.

Hey Meat
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Try girls volleyball. It's very exciting.

Well I was trying to be nice and avoid a Title IX lawsuit. But now that you mention it throw in Girls Basketball.

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Well I was trying to be nice and avoid a Title IX lawsuit. But now that you mention it throw in Girls Basketball.

Not to change the subject, but I think women's basketball is the most boring sport in the world. I feel sorry for most schools. Other than the big time schools (Tennessee, UConn, Standford, UNC, dUKe, etc..), they only average about 500-2k people. I played in front of that everynight in high school...

Hey Meat
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Here's a true test for you. Have you watched the entire Ken Burns documentary "Baseball?" 9 parts plus a recent addendum. I sat and watched that entire documentary over the course of 4 months when I had spare time with intrigue. I love watching baseball, especially the Redlegs.

bounty37h
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I admit, of the 6 games so far, that is the only one that has moved the needle a little. But, that's because I like watching the little guy pitch. But at no point did I ever feel like Atlanta was actually going to score and make it a game.....there was no drama, and has been NO drama the first 6 games except whether Halladay would pitch a no hitter.

Blah.

Maybe your just not a baseball fan then, or dont really get "it"?

BlastFurnace
10-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Here's a true test for you. Have you watched the entire Ken Burns documentary "Baseball?" 9 parts plus a recent addendum. I sat and watched that entire documentary over the course of 4 months when I had spare time with intrigue. I love watching baseball, especially the Redlegs.

If you like Baseball history, check out www.baseball-fever.com. There is some great insight on that board on the history of the game.

redssince75
10-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybe your just not a baseball fan then, or dont really get "it"?

Oh, I get "it". I used to LOVE watching baseball, so much that I would keep a scorebook of games on TV. Huge Reds fan from the 70s, huge Reds fan in 1990. Me & my dad used to watch Tony Kubek & Joe Garagiaola (I'm sure that's spelled wrong) on Saturday afternoon every week, no matter who was playing.

But sometime when there was an explosion of baseball on TV all the freakin time.......it lost its interest. My dad has told me the same, he never even watches any more. Kinda sad.

Prf15
10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't see how you can find these games boring. Sure, there isn't much scoring in most games but that is what leaves me on the edge of my seat. One mistake pitch can make a huge difference.

Plus, calling the Rangers 'overdogs' is a bit extreme don't ya think? They have never even won a playoff series.

redssince75
10-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I can't stand College Football

Blasphemer!!!

1. College football
2. College football
3. College football
4. College football
5. College football
6. Reds
7. College basketball
8. NFL
9. Golf (majors only, Sat & Sun only)
10. Non-Reds MLB

12341. Girls volleyball

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Maybe baseball is not for you. Richard Justice had an article in the Houston Chronicle that was great. I quote a part of his article " Baseball isn't isn't just better than football or basketball or soccer. It's better in dozens of ways.

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote from an article by Richard Justice (from the Houston Chronicle):

"Opening day is the best day of the year. The day after the world series is the saddest" Justice also writes "A baseball diamond is one of God's greatest creations. It's perfection at every level." Here is something from the movie Field of Dreams

"America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebilt, and erased again, but baseball has marked the time. This field, this game it's a part of our past, (Ray). It reminds us of all that once was good and could be again".

Baseball is the greatest game going and it will be here a thousany years after we are all gone.

Number_Fourteen
10-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Baseball, is the thinking man's game.

Cincinnati 8
10-08-2010, 04:17 PM
In case anyone wants to read a terrific article about baseball go to the February 16, 2009 issue of the Houston Chronicle and read the article by Richard Justice titled "Baseball's Attraction enduring"

redssince75
10-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe baseball is not for you. Richard Justice had an article in the Houston Chronicle that was great. I quote a part of his article " Baseball isn't isn't just better than football or basketball or soccer. It's better in dozens of ways.

Forgot to add, in person, you are absolutely correct. Nothing better than going to a baseball game on a nice evening. The rhythms, the conversation, the bursts of action -- a perfect way to spend a summer evening.

On TV, it has lost its appeal I guess, except when the Reds are winning. I DVR'd Wednesday's game (couldn't make it home in time) and deleted when I heard what Halladay did. No interest.

BigRedVA
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
The way the Reds have now played in their first 2 postseason games, it'll probably be awhile before I watch any more baseball anytime soon. This is pathetic.

FlyerFanatic
10-08-2010, 09:45 PM
i've said it, im sure many of you have as well. the post season is a crap shoot and you need luck to go your way. i dont wanna say its all luck, but every pitch is so big, we got some breaks early tonight, phillies got luckier later in the game. i just want this team and org. to be able to get this team in the hunt for playoffs year in year out. what happens when we get to the post season is about some lucky bounces going our way.