PDA

View Full Version : White towels...

Spitball
10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Those white towel waving fans should be stopped. Plain and simple...it is dangerous for fielders and especially pitchers. Balls come off bats with incredible velocity and those white towels have to make it very difficult to pick up the ball. It needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt.

edabbs44
10-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Those white towel waving fans should be stopped. Plain and simple...it is dangerous for fielders and especially pitchers. Balls come off bats with incredible velocity and those white towels have to make it very difficult to pick up the ball. It needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt.

Cincy is giving them out on Sunday.

BoydsOfSummer
10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Aint bothering the Phils much.

wolfboy
10-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Yup.

Roy Tucker
10-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Fans don't wave them when the Phils are in the field.

kheidg-
10-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Give me a break.

UKFlounder
10-08-2010, 10:01 PM
The ones the fans wave or the ones the Reds have thrown in?

WVRed
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
The towels have been around, especially in football with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Thundersticks are more annoying IMO.

savafan
10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I say we bring Vuvuzelas to GABP for every Phillie at bat

Reds Fanatic
10-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Dusty just said Jay lost the ball in the lights not in the towels.

Eric_the_Red
10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I like the towels. I don't mind Thunder Sticks or cowbells either. Whatever gets the crowd into the game and creates some atmosphere. I hate sitting at GABP some nights and the crowd just sits on their hands quietly until the scoreboard tells them when to cheer.

BoydsOfSummer
10-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Those thundersticks are the worst thing ever. Anything but those damn things. I don't watch soccer, so I've never heard the uvula thingy---maybe they are worse.

Eric_the_Red
10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Those thundersticks are the worst thing ever. Anything but those damn things. I don't watch soccer, so I've never heard the uvula thingy---maybe they are worse.

Oh yeah, they are. Imagine the sounds of a swarm of bees being mixed with a cow dying a painful death, then play it over a loudspeaker non-stop for an entire game. You'll be begging for ThunderSticks.

Spitball
10-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Give me a break.

This isn't basketball. This isn't football. If you have ever played baseball (which I doubt), it is a game played with a hard white ball traveling at incredible speeds and with a great deal of spin and movement. Centerfield walls do not have advertisements because the background would create a dangerous condition for batters trying to pick up the ball. It is very difficult to pick up a baseball off a mottled white background let alone a waving white background. If you disagree with a post, give yourself a break and just ignore it, please.

kheidg-
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
This isn't basketball. This isn't football. If you have ever played baseball (which I doubt), it is a game played with a hard white ball traveling at incredible speeds and with a great deal of spin and movement. Centerfield walls do not have advertisements because the background would create a dangerous condition for batters trying to pick up the ball. It is very difficult to pick up a baseball off a mottled white background let alone a waving white background. If you disagree with a post, give yourself a break and just ignore it, please.

What's with the personal attack? All I said was "Give me a break." You were whining about some little aspect of the game invented to create fan excitement and enthusiasm. I live in Minnesota where we've had the "Homer hanky's" since the 1987 World Series. These little towels probably go back further than that. Never have I heard anyone whine about it then (even in the World Series). There are many elements that can cause a player or fan to get injured. Do we outlaw white domes? Do we make stadiums change the colors of their backstops and brick walls because a third baseman can't pick up the ball? No, we don't. It's an element of the modern game.

This is baseball, not soccer.

And by the way, yes - I did play baseball throughout and still play fastpitch softball many games a year to this day.

Spitball
10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
What's with the personal attack? All I said was "Give me a break." You were whining about some little aspect of the game invented to create fan excitement and enthusiasm. I live in Minnesota where we've had the "Homer hanky's" since the 1987 World Series. These little towels probably go back further than that. Never have I heard anyone whine about it then (even in the World Series). There are many elements that can cause a player or fan to get injured. Do we outlaw white domes? Do we make stadiums change the colors of their backstops and brick walls because a third baseman can't pick up the ball? No, we don't. It's an element of the modern game.

This is baseball, not soccer.

And by the way, yes - I did play baseball throughout and still play fastpitch softball many games a year to this day.

In my opinion, a disagreement with reasoned argument like you have presented here is fine, but a single condescending comment is offensive to anyone taking the time to express an opinion.

traderumor
10-08-2010, 10:50 PM
If you outlaw waving white towels, then you have to tell fans they can't wear white shirts on a sunny day.

Jpup
10-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think the towels have much effect. He clearly lost the ball in the lights. They might ought to check out the lights. The whistles are much more annoying as well.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
They mentioned during the broadcast that this is the 3rd straight playoffs that an opposing outfielder has had issues with a big flyball/linedrive in the outfield. Last year it was CarGon and in 2008 it was Mike Cameron. Couple that with Jay Bruce and you have 3 very good defensive outfielders...something smells fishy, but I am not making excuses.

kheidg-
10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
In my opinion, a disagreement with reasoned argument like you have presented here is fine, but a single condescending comment is offensive to anyone taking the time to express an opinion.

Let's just leave it man. You were venting, I got it.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Bruce made the catch. Regardless, I didn't deem it necessary to respond any further than I did in my original post.

Jpup
10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
They mentioned during the broadcast that this is the 3rd straight playoffs that an opposing outfielder has had issues with a big flyball/linedrive in the outfield. Last year it was CarGon and in 2008 it was Mike Cameron. Couple that with Jay Bruce and you have 3 very good defensive outfielders...something smells fishy, but I am not making excuses.

It is the lights.

traderumor
10-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't think the towels have much effect. He clearly lost the ball in the lights. They might ought to check out the lights. The whistles are much more annoying as well.Phillies fans are annoying. They have took over for the Braves as a team that finally figured it out for a time after years of being a struggling franchise that now behave as if they invented the game. Case in point, the mock cheer for Bruce after catching a fly ball after losing one in the lights. Remember from where you came, Phillies fans. Most of your history has been failure.

corkedbat
10-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Even if you could ban the towels, they'd just wave something else.

corkedbat
10-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Phillies fans are annoying. They have took over for the Braves as a team that finally figured it out for a time after years of being a struggling franchise that now behave as if they invented the game. Case in point, the mock cheer for Bruce after catching a fly ball after losing one in the lights. Remember from where you came, Phillies fans. Most of your history has been failure.

Not much to "figure out" when you an afford to go out and replace Cliff Lee with Doc Halladay and Roy Oswalt. :)

Roy Tucker
10-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Have MLB say you can only hand out colored towels. I think they can say that. They banned thundersticks and vuvuzelas.

I don't think that would dampen anyone's enthusiasm and it would give the fielders a better background.

RedsBaron
10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Have MLB say you can only hand out colored towels. I think they can say that. They banned thundersticks and vuvuzelas.

I don't think that would dampen anyone's enthusiasm and it would give the fielders a better background.

Makes sense to me........so there is absolutely no chance Bud Selig will ever go for it.

RFS62
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I have to agree with Spitball. And I was thinking the same thing when they would show a shot of all the towels waving.

bucksfan2
10-09-2010, 08:18 AM
If you outlaw waving white towels, then you have to tell fans they can't wear white shirts on a sunny day.

You used to be able to sit right behind the pitcher in dead CF. The players complained about not being able to pick up the ball if there were fans out there with white shirts. Now there are no fans in straight away CF and the backdrop is normally dark.

I don't mind the towels, just don't make them white. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

Reds1
10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Did anyone hear that dude whistling the entire time. It was so annoying to listen to. He must have been close to the tv speaker. I wondered about those towels as I noticed on many balls to right bruce was always shading something. I thought it was the light, but white towels could maybe cause some issues. This was a tough one for me - I was pretty upset all evening.

macro
10-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Did anyone hear that dude whistling the entire time. It was so annoying to listen to. He must have been close to the tv speaker.

Yes, and it all came out of one surround speaker in our living room, the surround speaker that my wife was sitting beside. She has very sensitive ears and actually had a headache because of it.

Mo Egger had this to say on the 1530 Web site:

Christmas morning, while you open some lousy present, out of the blue, you'll hope that whomever was responsible for the horrific noise, that whistle, yell, or whatever it was all night, is spending the holiday by themselves in an unheated dungeon.

kaldaniels
10-09-2010, 12:30 PM
No problem with the towels.

Larkin Fan
10-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Count me in the group that agrees with Spitball. The view that they showed from the outfield during the telecast of the game struck me as an absolute nightmare for any fielder to get a read of the ball off the bat.

penantboundreds
10-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm on the fence about them, but I'll be waving mine during every Red's batters at bat tonight.

Penantboundreds.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Did anyone hear that dude whistling the entire time. It was so annoying to listen to. He must have been close to the tv speaker. I wondered about those towels as I noticed on many balls to right bruce was always shading something. I thought it was the light, but white towels could maybe cause some issues. This was a tough one for me - I was pretty upset all evening.

Brutal. The guy must have been right outside the press box. I'm surprised that the TV crew didn't stop him.

VR
10-10-2010, 11:52 AM
On the whistler...here was forfreelin04's post in the game thread
Can we confirm the sniper has the high toned whistler in his sights? :)

Reds fans are just thrown off with the ways fans cheer now because last time they were in the playoffs they were using these.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/D982120B-2E2D-46C3-80A2-328E98F03090/HU049043.jpg

Redsfan320
10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, and the whistler was the only thing TBS chose to put in the surround sound. So for a half hour +, to our back left, on went the whistle. CONSTANTLY!! :angry::angry::angry:

Spitball
10-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't mind the towels, just don't make them white. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

For me also, this would be the perfect solution.

TeamCasey
10-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I had to look up vuvuzela. I thought Roy was just being a dirty old man. :)

I don't like the white towels during a baseball game.

Larkin Fan
10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't have a problem either if the towels weren't white. But I truly think that the white towels are both a distraction and a danger to players on the field.

Brutus
10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm going to join Spitball's camp. Not really because of the danger aspect, as I don't think that's much of an argument. However, I agree that it's contradictory to baseball's own rules.

For starters, the batter's eye is pure Black to help distinguish the baseball out of the pitcher's hand.

A pitcher can't wear white sleeves or gloves to help the batter distinguish the baseball. Same with fielders--accessories on a player's hand cannot be White.

With all the rules Major League Baseball has in place to distinguish a baseball, allowing white towels, which could cause the baseball to be lost by a fielder without the stark contrast to see it, seems to contradict the rationale of the rules.

I have no problems with the towels, but while it may not be as aesthetically pleasing on television (which is why teams opt for white to begin with), I say make them a different color.

The Voice of IH
10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
why pass out White Towels??? I think the REDS should give out RED towels? you get it? REDS

westofyou
10-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Tons of 60's era white shirts in the Dodgers day games in the 66 World Series were part of the reason Willie Davis made 3 e's to help his team lose the series. The Reds were the 1st team to have a hitters background when the team realized the big white ads in CF were causing the hitter to lose the ball as it was pitched.

The white towels stuff is a little too football for me anyway.

westofyou
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
On the whistler...here was forfreelin04's post in the game thread :)

Reds fans are just thrown off with the ways fans cheer now because last time they were in the playoffs they were using these.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/D982120B-2E2D-46C3-80A2-328E98F03090/HU049043.jpg

Those were actually used to announce the lineups prior to the game. The announcer stood at home plate and announced the lineup so you could write the announced into your scorecard.

steig
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't have a huge problem with white towels being waived. I do have a huge problem with the use of cow bells at any form of sporting event.

RBA
10-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks like the Reds fan don't know how to wave the towel properly.

KronoRed
10-10-2010, 11:01 PM

Saw a guy blowing his nose in one, sure hope he didn't start waving that.

vaticanplum
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM

Marty is very upset about this. About life too, probably, but mostly about this.

Chip R
10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Marty is very upset about this. About life too, probably, but mostly about this.

Marty would much less upset if the Reds were up 2-0 instead of down 2-0.

Always Red
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Saw a guy blowing his nose in one, sure hope he didn't start waving that.

Mine came in handy for wiping my back and seat after I got a coke spilled on me by the guy behind me.

I think they should hand out towels at every game- it's always handy to have a towel around. ;)

Big Klu
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
With all the rules Major League Baseball has in place to distinguish a baseball, allowing white towels, which could cause the baseball to be lost by a fielder without the stark contrast to see it, seems to contradict the rationale of the rules.

I have no problems with the towels, but while it may not be as aesthetically pleasing on television (which is why teams opt for white to begin with), I say make them a different color.

why pass out White Towels??? I think the REDS should give out RED towels? you get it? REDS

I think the Giants had orange towels.

OnBaseMachine
10-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Last night was an amazing atmosphere with the large crowd and towels. 44,500+ in attendance. Well done, Reds fans. That's the most amazing thing I've been apart of. I hope to get a taste of that again next October. That was a special feeling.

Red in Chicago
10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Last night was an amazing atmosphere with the large crowd and towels. 44,500+ in attendance. Well done, Reds fans. That's the most amazing thing I've been apart of. I hope to get a taste of that again next October. That was a special feeling.

You're absolutely right OBM. I just got back to Chicago this afternoon. I've never seen the park more electric. It didn't feel like a Cincy game at all. Sure wish we would have really had something to cheer about.

On a side note, I was sitting 8 rows behind the Reds dugout and some guy had a cowbell a few rows in front of me. The ushers came and took it away from him. It wasn't even that loud or big. Frankly, the lint from the towels was much more annoying. Glad I opted not to wear my contacts.