PDA

View Full Version : The thread of eternal optimism

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Here's the deal...I feel worse than:

1.) An elementary school boy who just got dumped by his first crush.
2.) A Cubs fan.
3.) A mid 90's New York Knicks fan (choke artists).
4.) A bride left at the altar.
5.) You get the point...

Wednesday was uneventful and unexciting. Tonight I literally could not sit still (beer apparently does not calm nerves). I was completely on the edge of my seat for almost 7 innings. I have never, ever experienced that in a baseball game. This was far an above any Colts playoff game I have ever watched, and above any Pacer playoff game I have ever seen, and there were some ridiculously intense playoff games against the Knicks.

To my point...we sucked. To sum it up is a quote by John Candy in Cool Runnings “You choked…you choked, you have all the skills, you know what to do,
but you choked.”
He told the Team:
“You gotta figure out how to STAY LOOSE out there. I can’t tell you how
to do that.”

It perfectly explains the deer in the headlights that we were once we had a lead.

I was so pumped at how absurdly ridiculous game 3 was going to be in Cincinnati Sunday evening. Well it is still going to be ridiculous, we can take on Hamels, we will be in our comfortable surroundings and won't urinate down our femur. We move on and slot Wood against Halladay and pull one off. Then we take it back to Philly and do the unthinkable, or at least make it one helluva ride trying.

This has quite possibly the most amazing baseball season of my life, and it's not going to end without a fight by the Reds. To quote my favorite baseball coach of all time, "Baseball is a games of ups and downs, and peaks and valleys, but no matter what happens you can never get to high and you can never get to low." We are at the ultimate low and our veteran leaders will not let us get too low. We will be back and strong come Sunday, just have some faith, we have waited a long time and deserve it.

Go Reds.

edabbs44
10-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree, I hope Bruce, Votto and everyone else uses this for motivation for 2011. I want to see Youtube videos of Votto running up mountains in Russia. I want to hear stories of Phillips' hands bleeding from hitting so much in the cage. I want to hear stories of Bruce catching fly balls with people shining spotlights in his eyes.

forfreelin04
10-08-2010, 11:13 PM
The Buffalo Bills would be a bad example of how getting embarrassed and beat in big games doesn't ever make you better. :)

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:16 PM
The Buffalo Bills would be a bad example of how getting embarrassed and beat in big games doesn't ever make you better. :)

I could deal with 4 straight WS appearances regardless the outcome.

Eric_the_Red
10-08-2010, 11:19 PM

I don't think I could handle four years of post season play if all the games are like the first two this year.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't think I could handle four years of post season play if all the games are like the first two this year.

You don't get to the WS playing like little leaguers.

forfreelin04
10-08-2010, 11:22 PM

No thanks! I'd rather be a fan of a team that wins the big games. Not one that comes just close enough to participate.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
No thanks! I'd rather be a fan of a team that wins the big games. Not one that comes just close enough to participate.

The 95-99 Indians disagree. All I am really saying is if you make it 4 times in a row, odds are you are going to Win 1. I said nothing about being OK with losing 4 times, I just said I'd be fine with making it 4 times.

Brutus
10-08-2010, 11:27 PM
You don't get to the WS playing like little leaguers.

That's an insult to little leaguers.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
That's an insult to little leaguers.

First smile I have cracked since the 6th inning. :beerme:

forfreelin04
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
The 95-99 Indians disagree. All I am really saying is if you make it 4 times in a row, odds are you are going to Win 1. I said nothing about being OK with losing 4 times, I just said I'd be fine with making it 4 times.

See, this is where your wrong.

I went to school in the Cleveland area; believe me they'd kill to win it all; even just one time. Indians Browns, Cavs. No championships since Jim Brown.

Playoffs are great, but every girl gets tired of being the bridesmaid.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:31 PM
See, this is where your wrong.

I went to school in the Cleveland area; believe me they'd kill to win it all; even just one time. Indians Browns, Cavs. No championships since Jim Brown.

Playoffs are great, but every girl gets tired of being the bridesmaid.

And what I meant was the 95-99 Indians fired their manager cause they didn't win it all (Hargrove) and went in a quick downward spiral and have not recovered. Everyone would rather their team win the big games, but its a rare feat to win the big games.

Would you rather be abysmal or get close and fail. I'll take getting close and failing any day because being abysmal is too easy.

edabbs44
10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not going to let this series crush me. Short term disappointment and embarassment, sure. But this is step 1.

I don't buy the "you never know when you're gonna get back" BS. This team is locked and loaded with a hungry owner and a stud GM. I have no worries about the future.

forfreelin04
10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
And what I meant was the 95-99 Indians fired their manager cause they didn't win it all (Hargrove) and went in a quick downward spiral and have not recovered. Everyone would rather their team win the big games, but its a rare feat to win the big games.

Would you rather be abysmal or get close and fail. I'll take getting close and failing any day because being abysmal is too easy.

I'd rather by abysmal for ten years, (the Reds in the 80's), then win the World Series in 1990.

This is sweeter to me than playing above average baseball and always looking like mice among men in the postseason.

Griffey012
10-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd rather by abysmal for ten years, (the Reds in the 80's), then win the World Series in 1990.

This is sweeter to me than playing above average baseball and always looking like mice among men in the postseason.

Well no kidding, everyone would prefer the WS win. The question was would you rather be abysmal or make the playoffs and fail, not weather youd rather be abysmal for a while and win the world series. We have been abysmal for a long while and we have made the playoffs, this is great, no matter the scenario.
This is just the first step, and it's not over yet.

forfreelin04
10-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Well no kidding, everyone would prefer the WS win. The question was would you rather be abysmal or make the playoffs and fail, not weather youd rather be abysmal for a while and win the world series. We have been abysmal for a long while and we have made the playoffs, this is great, no matter the scenario.
This is just the first step, and it's not over yet.

Ok, sorry I misinterpreted your question.

To make the playoffs is great, however making the playoffs only to take a proverbial dump in the postseason is bad.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
None other than HOF Hal McCoy picked the Reds to win this series in five games - after losing the first two in Philly.

I doubt he considered how the first two might be lost though.

reds44
10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I refuse to give up.

blumj
10-09-2010, 01:06 AM
I refuse to give up.
There's no reason to give up as long as there's still a game left on the schedule.

SunDeck
10-09-2010, 07:51 AM
How's this for optimism- the Reds weren't supposed to be in the playoffs this year at all and I'm still thrilled with where the team is at this point, ahead of schedule in my opinion. Sure, they played terrible baseball last night, but I can't say I'm truly surprised by that. Their blunders, especially the pitching- hitting three batters last night and Volquez's performance in game one- seemed to me like the actions of guys who are just overwhelmed by playing in the postseason. Baseball is simply not a game you can play when you are amped up on adrenaline. It's probably the reason managers long for clubhouse leadership, guys who can teach the younger and less experienced players to play well and stay focused in big games. Unfortunately, last night showed that even some of those trusted vets can lose it too; Rolen's fielding was just horrible, for instance.

I'm optimistic, though, because this is a young team that will learn from this, maybe just like the Phillies who got trounced by the Rockies in the postseason, 2007. they've been resilient all year, with a short memory and while they may go out 3-0, I don't see why they shouldn't be right back here next year.

[post edit] Just saw the replay and read about Utley's comments- Chapman's pitch didn't hit him, so that's only two HBP. He also was out at second, it appears, but the umps didn't drop relay throws, miss balls in the lights, or bobble grounders.:rolleyes:

Griffey012
10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
How's this for optimism- the Reds weren't supposed to be in the playoffs this year at all and I'm still thrilled with where the team is at this point, ahead of schedule in my opinion. Sure, they played terrible baseball last night, but I can't say I'm truly surprised by that. Their blunders, especially the pitching- hitting three batters last night and Volquez's performance in game one- seemed to me like the actions of guys who are just overwhelmed by playing in the postseason. Baseball is simply not a game you can play when you are amped up on adrenaline. It's probably the reason managers long for clubhouse leadership, guys who can teach the younger and less experienced players to play well and stay focused in big games. Unfortunately, last night showed that even some of those trusted vets can lose it too; Rolen's fielding was just horrible, for instance.

I'm optimistic, though, because this is a young team that will learn from this, maybe just like the Phillies who got trounced by the Rockies in the postseason, 2007. they've been resilient all year, with a short memory and while they may go out 3-0, I don't see why they shouldn't be right back here next year.

[post edit] Just saw the replay and read about Utley's comments- Chapman's pitch didn't hit him, so that's only two HBP. He also was out at second, it appears, but the umps didn't drop relay throws, miss balls in the lights, or bobble grounders.:rolleyes:

I think thinking about a lot of similarities going into the playoffs between us and the 2008 Rays. But this morning I got to thinking that those Rays played in hostile environments all season long in Boston and New York. We played in probably 0 hostile environments, maybe the last time we played in STL their crowd was a little amped up but we had a pretty good lead at that point in time. For nearly our entire team, this is the 1st time on the big stage, and the only stage they have to compare it do, doesn't compare.

cincrazy
10-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not going to let this series crush me. Short term disappointment and embarassment, sure. But this is step 1.

I don't buy the "you never know when you're gonna get back" BS. This team is locked and loaded with a hungry owner and a stud GM. I have no worries about the future.

Thank you.

People tend to forget, this core of Phillies players had their struggles before breaking through the glass ceiling and having postseason success. It takes time for that young talent to mold and mature, and I have no doubt our talent will do that. This series, quite frankly, sucks. It's a knife into my heart. But this is only step one of a multi-step process, and I for one am going to enjoy the ride from the word go.

cincrazy
10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
"You've got to learn what these games are all about," Phillies reliever J.C. Romero said. "We actually went through that in '07. You could tell our team was a little overwhelmed when we won the division the last day of the season. And then we went into the playoffs and went three-and-out. And we learned. We learned from that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=5663623

muddie
10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
"You've got to learn what these games are all about," Phillies reliever J.C. Romero said. "We actually went through that in '07. You could tell our team was a little overwhelmed when we won the division the last day of the season. And then we went into the playoffs and went three-and-out. And we learned. We learned from that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=5663623

Good post. The Reds organization is working to get to the 'consistently competitive' level. This doesn't gurantee you anything but it does make it more likely that you'll make the playoffs. The Tampa Rays come to mind here. Just having a chance in every series is what Jocketty is trying to accomplish right now. This hasn't been the case in quite a few years for Cincy. I'll repeat myself again, the off season will be very interesting for this club.

blumj
10-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I think thinking about a lot of similarities going into the playoffs between us and the 2008 Rays. But this morning I got to thinking that those Rays played in hostile environments all season long in Boston and New York. We played in probably 0 hostile environments, maybe the last time we played in STL their crowd was a little amped up but we had a pretty good lead at that point in time. For nearly our entire team, this is the 1st time on the big stage, and the only stage they have to compare it do, doesn't compare.
That Rays team's first postseason opponent was a White Sox team that had to win a 163rd game to get in, and their first 2 playoff games were at home.

Ghosts of 1990
10-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Well said my friend. Brighter days lie ahead whether its immediate or whether it's off in the distance. These kids have nothing to hang their heads about. No one gave US a chance to begin with.

Griffey012
10-09-2010, 02:41 PM
That Rays team's first postseason opponent was a White Sox team that had to win a 163rd game to get in, and their first 2 playoff games were at home.

I didn't realize that, thanks for looking it up. I guess going after home field looks to be a little more important than being well rested.

Ghosts of 1990
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
You want optimism? The guy out in right field for us who plays every night is on the verge of being one of the best all around players in the game. Not in the division, not in the national league; in all of baseball.

I've seen what I needed to see and he has it. I'm talking a ceiling that is every bit as high as Votto's and maybe higher. Have no idea if Alonso or Frazier reach their potentials like Bruce but I'll also throw in Stubbs as a guy who is going to have a good long career. It's evident and obvious to me now.

Razor Shines
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
You want optimism? The guy out in right field for us who plays every night is on the verge of being one of the best all around players in the game. Not in the division, not in the national league; in all of baseball.

I've seen what I needed to see and he has it. I'm talking a ceiling that is every bit as high as Votto's and maybe higher. Have no idea if Alonso or Frazier reach their potentials like Bruce but I'll also throw in Stubbs as a guy who is going to have a good long career. It's evident and obvious to me now.

Gonna change your name back then?

Griffey012
10-09-2010, 05:06 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I imagine in the next couple of years we won't have much regret drafting Stubbs ahead of Lincecum. Lincecum would be great to have, but he is going to hit the FA market in 2 more years and get a huge contract. We still have I believe 5 more years of Stubbs locked up. He can easily be a 30 hr 30 sb 80-100 RBI type guy with great defense in CF.

Don't get me wrong I would still have preferred to have drafted Lincecum over Stubbs, but it's quickly become less of an ordeal than it once was. Not to take away from Lincecum by any means because he is one of the top 5 pitchers in the MLB, but his brilliance the last 2 seasons would have been wasted by the surrounding futility of our ballclub.