PDA

View Full Version : How did you handle it?

Shaknb8k
10-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Iíve got a simple question for some of the veterans on the board. How in the world did you handle the pressure of the í75 World Series coming down to a Game 7? This isnít a rhetorical question, Iím really wondering.

I was born in 1985 so this is a first for me being a diehard fan. I love all sports. I donít miss a WVU football or basketball game. I watch the NBA and NFL religiously, but none of them compare to my love, and thatís exactly what it is, for the Reds.

I was on cloud nine a few weeks ago. I watched every minute of the post game celebration and nearly cried. I bought a few championship t-shirts (which I will still proudly wear). I spent some savings I should be using for student loans on tickets from StubHub for Sundayís game. Iíve lost sleep waiting for these games, and Iíve woken-up two days in one week like its Christmas morning. Now this. In the past few days I have nearly broke my remote, threw a shoe (who throws a shoe?) and a box because of errors and pegged batters. I stood up to leave, but couldnít make myself do something else. In a nutshell, I've been on an emotional roller coaster. From natural highs that should be illegal to depression states that are borderline clinical admissive. All of this over a series that didnít even exist a few decades ago.

So my question is how did you diehard vets handle pressure in a deciding World Series Game 7 or another similar situation? And how can someone be so attached to a game?

webbbj
10-08-2010, 11:45 PM
its nights like tonite that make me just wish cincinnati didnt have any sports team so i can just watch casually w/ no emotional attachment like I do w/ the NBA. this is the most painful loss ive witnessed in a sporting event

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Im the kind of guy that takes losses a lot harder than wins. This one tops the Marshall loss to WVU 3 weeks ago. I thought playing in the post season would be fun, something special with this team. Im not saying I wish we wouldnt have made it but...this is down right embarrassing. However, we are highly out matched

TheBigLebowski
10-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Iíve got a simple question for some of the veterans on the board. How in the world did you handle the pressure of the í75 World Series coming down to a Game 7? This isnít a rhetorical question, Iím really wondering.

I was born in 1985 so this is a first for me being a diehard fan. I love all sports. I donít miss a WVU football or basketball game. I watch the NBA and NFL religiously, but none of them compare to my love, and thatís exactly what it is, for the Reds.

I was on cloud nine a few weeks ago. I watched every minute of the post game celebration and nearly cried. I bought a few championship t-shirts (which I will still proudly wear). I spent some savings I should be using for student loans on tickets from StubHub for Sundayís game. Iíve lost sleep waiting for these games, and Iíve woken-up two days in one week like its Christmas morning. Now this. In the past few days I have nearly broke my remote, threw a shoe (who throws a shoe?) and a box because of errors and pegged batters. I stood up to leave, but couldnít make myself do something else. In a nutshell, I've been on an emotional roller coaster. From natural highs that should be illegal to depression states that are borderline clinical admissive. All of this over a series that didnít even exist a few decades ago.

So my question is how did you diehard vets handle pressure in a deciding World Series Game 7 or another similar situation? And how can someone be so attached to a game?

I got the "who throws a shoe?" reference. Well played.

As far as how I deal with this...I dunno...ask me tomorrow. I still can't believe these guys managed to blow this game.

Problem is, you are a fan of professional Cincinnati sports, which is a contradiction in terms if there ever was such a thing. I've lost sleep over these games.....I am 33 years old and I loved what we did in 1990, even if I didn't appreciate just how special and rare it was.

I don't have any good advice for you, man. Toss back some good liquor and fall asleep thankful you weren't born in Chicago.

RedLakerFan24
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I was mad at first, but im okay, I still have faith the Reds could win. Cant wait for the Lakers

arkimadee
10-09-2010, 12:11 AM
ok this is sad but here goes. I just sat there in my chair.. blood boiling but not saying a word. i was so pissed i felt like crying. i didn't. i waited until like 2 plays later before i even threw anything. now i just feel like i have been run over by a truck. i'm depressed that all the teams i watch always end up blowing it in the end. right now is as down as i was during any point of the regular season. im sure tomorrow i will appreciate more what the Reds did for me this season but right now I'm feeling sorry for myself and my fellow redzone friends who bleed this team and think about them on almost every spare moment we have. Wow I really do have a problem.

redsfan_12
10-09-2010, 12:16 AM
ok this is sad but here goes. I just sat there in my chair.. blood boiling but not saying a word. i was so pissed i felt like crying. i didn't. i waited until like 2 plays later before i even threw anything. now i just feel like i have been run over by a truck. i'm depressed that all the teams i watch always end up blowing it in the end. right now is as down as i was during any point of the regular season. im sure tomorrow i will appreciate more what the Reds did for me this season but right now I'm feeling sorry for myself and my fellow redzone friends who bleed this team and think about them on almost every spare moment we have. Wow I really do have a problem.

Awesome post and I feel the same way. I watched this team literally every night this season. Im gonna be heartbroken when they are defeated for the final team this season. After the smoke clears and the dust settles, I will look back and cherish every good memory from this season. In fact, and Im man enough to admit it, I might even shed a tear.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 04:12 AM
I'm 45 years old.

I used to be an over-the-top diehard emotional fan. I was a huge UC b-ball fan back in the 90's. Loved the Herb Jones team that went to the Final Four. Loved the following year when they lost to eventual national champ UNC in double OT with Van Exel at the helm. Most heartbreaking moment was Kenyon Martin breaking his leg in the CUSA Tournament against St. Louis. I really had high hopes for that team as they were #1 most of the year. Probably my lowest point as a fan.

Now at age 45, my expectations are lower, especially living in Cincinnati. We're small market baseball and football. I'm surprised they were able to get this team to even contend this year, which is all the more impressive. Mike Brown will forever handicap the Bengals organization, so there is no reason to ever get excited about the Bengals again. If they are good at all, they will never be good enough to win it all.

Even with low expectations, I do see this team contending for many years to come. They're still a few pieces short. The '75 team was tinkered with all through the early 70's. People forget that they had Lee May and Bobby Tolan at one time on some of their early postseason teams. They got traded and Bob Howsam continued to put the pieces of the Big Red Machine together, EVEN WHEN they were already contending nearly yearly.

We've got a very young nucleus and a bunch of pitching. Cueto has learned a lot the past few years. Hopefully all the young players can continue coming of age and put it together.

Cincinnati 8
10-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I had to leave the house when Bruce made his error otherwise I might have smashed my TV set. How can someone be so attached to a baseball team that it consumes his whole life. What a brutal loss, it literally took my breath away.

Cincinnati 8
10-09-2010, 12:45 PM
My wife doesn't understand it, my friends don't understand it, I am not sure I even understand how I can get so emotionally attached to a baseball team as I am to the Reds. I will get over it (yesterdays loss) but it will take a few days.

AintlifeGrande
10-09-2010, 01:52 PM
This one is still hurting me today.I still am in disbelief how the wheels came off in the 7th.My roomate jokingly asked me if I wanted to use his gun.:explode:

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 03:37 PM
"There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football game." - Sam Wyche

Cincinnati 8
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Do you believe in miriciles If the Reds pull this out it would be the most glorious moment in the history of the Cincinnati Reds. If the Reds win 3 straight from the Phillies, this site would go absolutely biserk and I would be leading the cheering. We can dream can't we. Maybe God is a Reds fan. Go Cincy, give us something for the history books.

will5979
10-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you believe in miriciles If the Reds pull this out it would be the most glorious moment in the history of the Cincinnati Reds. If the Reds win 3 straight from the Phillies, this site would go absolutely biserk and I would be leading the cheering. We can dream can't we. Maybe God is a Reds fan. Go Cincy, give us something for the history books.

"Which brings me to my next point, don't do drugs!" Just playin man.

I agree and hope you are right. However hoping and being realistic are 2 completely different things. I truely believe that we have no business in the postseason yet, but at the same time I am worried that the CArdinals will just reload. I believe we wasted an opportunity this year. Way to show up for the postseason, get no hit in the first game, then gift wrap and hand the second game to them. We don't have a prayer for game 3.

Oh my Gawd, what bad KArma, post number 666, pick up sticks.

Kingspoint
10-10-2010, 12:52 AM

That was easy.

I knew we were going to win. The REDS knew they were going to win. It was a lot easier giving up Game 6 knowing that you were going to win Game 7, anyway.

The hard one was 1972 against the A's. The first 5 games were one-run games and then the REDS blew them out in Game 6. When that happened, I had very little confidence that we'd win Game 7 as I thought the REDS had lost their edge. The A's kept theirs and won another one-run game in Game 7.

I never thought we had much of a chance in this series from the get-go because of the umpires. In fact, I haven't watched but a couple of innings from the first game and didn't bother with the second game. The strikezone that Halladay received was criminal. It was flat out cheating. That wasn't a no-hitter in my book. It was just cheap umpiring.

I notice that Chase Utley was never hit by the pitch and then was out at 2nd Base. The REDS never had a chance because of the umpiring. It's like the NBA on it's worst days. It's the Sacramento Kings versus the Los Angeles Lakers, Game 6 in Sacramento.

Bud Selig is the worst thing that's ever happened to baseball and he needs to go. Glad to see Tampa Bay out of the Series. They don't deserve to have a team in that joke of a town.

aldotcs
10-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm late to this thread because I was so devastated Friday night I couldn't read another word about the Reds. I was nauseous and nearly physically ill. I had thought I couldn't be any more nauseous than I was Wednesday night, but there you go. This is the bad side of being dedicated.
But now I'm taking a deep breath and hoping for a win tonight. Ever superstitious, I am doing things a little different prepping for this game watch in hopes it might make a difference to the Baseball Gods. ;) Just pick up and go on. If they manage to pull off the Division series, I'll be elated. Otherwise, I'll be excited for next year and going through DTs during the off season!