PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

malcontent
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Rolen looks to be 55, not 35.

Stray
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Well he got a lot of days off this year, but it was obvious he wore down bad. So yeah, I'm pretty sure we will need help there.

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
And Francisco is not the answer

webbbj
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
could alonso possibly pick up 3rd? IDK defensivly they seem kinda similar except for the long throw to 1B? maybe give that a try.

malcontent
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
could alonso possibly pick up 3rd? IDK defensivly they seem kinda similar except for the long throw to 1B? maybe give that a try.
Didn't he play a little 3B at Miami?

Even if he did, I doubt the Reds would go that route.

I was always surprised that they didn't move Frazier there permanently.

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Doubt it... I dont think he'd be any better than Francisco

Stray
10-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Fransisco has a good bat, but shaky on d right?
That's a bad bad place to hide a bad defensive player...I'm not real sure what our options are.

bshall2105
10-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Fransisco has a good bat, but shaky on d right?
That's a bad bad place to hide a bad defensive player...I'm not real sure what our options are.

He's not really that bad of a defender. He has trouble getting to some balls, but he has a great arm. The main problem I have with him is plate discipline. He's known for not being able to take a walk.

mmt1552
10-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm fine with a Rolen/Francisco platoon next year.

malcontent
10-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm fine with a Rolen/Francisco platoon next year.
I wouldn't mind seeing that, myself.

Rolen looks like he can't bend down out there. Just stiff.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Well, we're stuck with Scott for 2 more years. That is kind of bittersweet. When healthy, he's been a huge asset to this team. But when he's not......he's a huge liability.

I've stated all second half of the season that they will have to platoon Francisco with Rolen next season. Francisco gives you a LHed power bat, so it works for the most part. Francisco's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He was voted best defensive third baseman one year in the minor leagues in their league (can't remember what year). So he's not THAT bad.

I'd be fine with that platoon. I just think it puts Cairo as the odd man out.

malcontent
10-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Well, we're stuck with Scott for 2 more years. That is kind of bittersweet. When healthy, he's been a huge asset to this team. But when he's not......he's a huge liability.

I've stated all second half of the season that they will have to platoon Francisco with Rolen next season. Francisco gives you a LHed power bat, so it works for the most part. Francisco's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He was voted best defensive third baseman one year in the minor leagues in their league (can't remember what year). So he's not THAT bad.

I'd be fine with that platoon. I just think it puts Cairo as the odd man out.
Well, Cairo is a bench guy for the most part.

I really would like to see if JF is up to it. Rolen looks stiff as a board in the field and at the plate. It looks like he can't hit anything low in the zone right now. To be honest, I had no idea. I mean, I knew the power had evaporated, but damn.

Frazier should also be a possibility. I don't know why they've jerked him around playing him everywhere. He always seemed like a future 3B to me.

But, yeah. Let's give Francisco a real shot. Speaking of which, I dunno why he didn't PH tonight.

TheBateman
10-09-2010, 03:52 AM
I honestly think Rolen is close to done. His AB's have looked rather awful, I had a hard time watching him swing tonight and last Wednesday night w/o cringing, and he seems to be losing a lot of mobility. Which is a shame because his veteran leadership is a huge plus, but he's beginning to decline quite quickly.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Scott seems like the type of person/player who would retire abruptly if he thought he didn't have it anymore.

Wouldn't that be a huge change if he did so after the postseason? That would change everything.

TC81190
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I mentioned this somewhere else, but I wonder if Mark Reynolds could be bought low from Arizona as back up and insurance to Scott Rolen.

Kingspoint
10-09-2010, 11:54 PM
No.

Old NDN
10-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Francisco = Encarnacion', IMO.

bshall2105
10-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I mentioned this somewhere else, but I wonder if Mark Reynolds could be bought low from Arizona as back up and insurance to Scott Rolen.

I don't even think he hit .200 this year. He is one of the worst possible options that I could think of for next season.

Krawhitham
10-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Why?

Krawhitham
10-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Francisco = Encarnacion', IMO.

You can tell that by his 22 total chances in the field?

Or by his .316 career average

or by his near 100 RBI in last 3 full seasons in the minors

TC81190
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't even think he hit .200 this year. He is one of the worst possible options that I could think of for next season.
That won't happen again though. The guy is always going to K a lot and he's never going to make a lot of contact. But he hit .257 on balls in play this year, something like 70 points lower than the year before and a lot lower than his career average. He's not helping himself with the whiffs, but the guy also had a lot of bad luck. He'll approximate our own Drew Stubbs again from here on out. .240ish average, 30-35 HR potential, good speed on the basepaths, and all reports suggest he's a good third baseman. If he could be had for cheap, then I think he could be a steal.

TC81190
10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
You can tell that by his 22 total chances in the field?

Or by his .316 career average

or by his near 100 RBI in last 3 full seasons in the minors
I wouldn't count on Francisco to be anything other than a trade piece. He's a got a long swing, his inability to make contact is going be exposed big time at the big league, and when he gets challenged that power is going to disappear.

roby
10-11-2010, 01:43 PM
That won't happen again though. The guy is always going to K a lot and he's never going to make a lot of contact. But he hit .257 on balls in play this year, something like 70 points lower than the year before and a lot lower than his career average. He's not helping himself with the whiffs, but the guy also had a lot of bad luck. He'll approximate our own Drew Stubbs again from here on out. .240ish average, 30-35 HR potential, good speed on the basepaths, and all reports suggest he's a good third baseman. If he could be had for cheap, then I think he could be a steal.

Yes, and he batted 1.000 every time he got a hit! Stat guys :rolleyes:

Girevik
10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd deffinately like to see them get someone who can spell Rolen...he obviously wore down the 2nd half of the season. I also think they need to start looking for a long term replacement.

Roush's socks
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Rolen will be back to himself next year after some rest. The Reds need someone to spell him 40-50 games a year. This season he was playing so good I think they forgot to rest him enough and he wore down. I don't think they'll malke that mistake next season. So I do think the Reds will look for 3B help in 2011. Francisco is an option since he is already signed, and bats LH. Maybe if he's only playing every 3rd or 4th day the league won't catch on to the fact that he swings at anything and can be gotten out without throwing strikes.

TC81190
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes, and he batted 1.000 every time he got a hit! Stat guys :rolleyes:

Just because you don't understand the numbers, doesn't mean they don't mean anything.

I'd be glad to point out what exactly those numbers are saying, but I know you won't be willing to listen.

mikemo14
10-11-2010, 11:00 PM
You couldnt do any better job resting Rolen than Dusty did this year and he still looked cooked in the playoffs. For all the talk of the young guys not having playoff experience the play of Rolen and cabrera in the playoffs was etrocious. Rolen only homered three times in the second half and has chronic back problems. Make him a coach and get an everyday third baseman.

TheBateman
10-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Read on ESPN that Beltre may not return w/ the RedSox next year, maybe we can acquire him?

13 in hall
10-12-2010, 06:42 AM
I love the Beltre idea but I'm here in CA and Beltre is on Angels owners wish list. The bidding war will be way too high Boston and LA Angels and maybe the White Sox 12-15 mill minimum and no way Rolen becomes a bench player.
Up North the A's are said to be non tendering Kevin Kouzmanoff(sp) his bat may not be all that great but he is more that solid with the glove. Also the Red Sox will be declining Bill Halls option so he too will be a free agent worth looking into in my opinion. He hits the Reds hard and hits especially well in GABP.

malcontent
10-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Up North the A's are said to be non tendering Kevin Kouzmanoff(sp) his bat may not be all that great but he is more that solid with the glove. Also the Red Sox will be declining Bill Halls option so he too will be a free agent worth looking into in my opinion. He hits the Reds hard and hits especially well in GABP.
Those are a couple of interesting names.

I figure Hall may be the easier signing. Dunno why he's tailed off so much the last couple of years...he's not that old.

malcontent
10-12-2010, 07:53 PM
You couldnt do any better job resting Rolen than Dusty did this year and he still looked cooked in the playoffs.
Have to agree.

He's signed through 2012 though, so the Reds have no choice but to see how he looks in the spring. But they have to have an insurance policy (beyond Cairo) in case he hasn't recovered.

Mebbe they need to assign the guy they used to rehab Cabrera to Rolen 365 days a year.

bounty37h
10-13-2010, 10:14 AM

While I would love to see it, I dont think Francisco will ever make an impact in a Reds uniform.

roby
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Just because you don't understand the numbers, doesn't mean they don't mean anything.

I'd be glad to point out what exactly those numbers are saying, but I know you won't be willing to listen.

If only I was half as smart as you. Dare to dream. :rolleyes: