PDA

View Full Version : Walt talking major extension with Bronson

malcontent
10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
That's the only good thing I learned tonite.

Stray
10-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Loved Arroyo's performance tonight. Showed a lot of composure and toughness. He's as reliable as there is.

malcontent
10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Loved Arroyo's performance tonight. Showed a lot of composure and toughness. He's as reliable as there is.
And he would have gone deeper, if BP and Rolen didn't botch their chances.

FlyerFanatic
10-08-2010, 10:58 PM
where did you hear that? did the announcers say that? and how much and how many years do you give him? hes already 33

malcontent
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
where did you hear that? did the announcers say that?
Yep.

Something to the effect of "keeping him in a Reds uniform for a long time".

texasdave
10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Yep.

Something to the effect of "keeping him in a Reds uniform for a long time".

This doesn't involve cryogenics somehow, does it?

malcontent
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
This doesn't involve cryogenics somehow, does it?
LOL. Arroyo will have more flexibilty at 80 than Rolen does now.

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 11:06 PM
If true, this still means that they need to go out and get an ace.

malcontent
10-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd be surprised if they did.

Resigning Arroyo makes them 7 deep at starter (assuming Chapman makes the conversion).

Unless they somehow turned 1 or 2 of those guys into a bonafide ace via trade...it just seems unlikely to me assuming they resign Bronson.

redsfan_12
10-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I'd be surprised if they did.

Resigning Arroyo makes them 7 deep at starter (assuming Chapman makes the conversion).

Unless they somehow turned 1 or 2 of those guys into a bonafide ace via trade...it just seems unlikely to me assuming they resign Bronson.

Agreed. Im still worried about Aroldis being a starter. He just throws so hard, and with his velocity....I guess he could get hurt just as easy being a reliever.

FlyerFanatic
10-09-2010, 01:03 AM
how long are we talking though. cant be more than 3 yrs can it? arroyo is 33...

malcontent
10-09-2010, 01:09 AM
how long are we talking though. cant be more than 3 yrs can it? arroyo is 33...
Not sure. They didn't elaborate.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm not opposed to this. I just see alot of pay increases due to arbitration this year and in the upcoming years.

It's obvious that our pitching carried us this year. Pitching wins pennants.

And I still think we need an ace. Wish we could trade for Felix Hernandez or Josh Johnson...........on two teams rebuilding. Seattle can afford Felix, but they won't be contending anytime soon, so why afford him?

Arroyo has been a workhorse and his rubber arm is likened to Jamie Moyer's age and ability. Savvy veteran who is getting better with age. Personally, I think the carpal tunnel and him having to quit playing the guitar has alot to do with his improvement.

webbbj
10-09-2010, 12:13 PM
i'd love to bring arroyo back long term. im just wondering what we do w/ all these pitchers? will there be trades in the offseason or will next year big one giant audition for leake, volquez, cueto, bailey, wood, chapman to figure out their futures for the reds?

does chapman just relieve for another year and leake ahs a year in the minors to build innings? i think things get really confusing if chapman proves he can start next year.

10-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Arroyo has never missed a start as a Red. And he's the type of pitcher that can pitch effectively pass 35. If it's affordable, then I am all for an extension.

BLEEDS
10-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Cueto, Leake, Wood - those are young guys who I think are polished enough to count on 180-ish innings next year with solid numbers.

Volquez, Bailey, Chapman - while they have good stuff/upside, there is a LOT of risk and unknowns.

IMO, you can't go into next season with just that 6 on your staff.

Arroyo you pencil in for 200+ innings, a 4-ish ERA, and takes the ball every 5th(or 4th) day for 32+ starts.

If you sign him to a long-term deal and all the young pitchers flourish - then you have the Horrible problem of having too much pitching, which EVERY team in baseball is willing to overpay for in a trade.

Brilliant idea IMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Cueto, Leake, Wood - those are young guys who I think are polished enough to count on 180-ish innings next year with solid numbers.

Volquez, Bailey, Chapman - while they have good stuff/upside, there is a LOT of risk and unknowns.

IMO, you can't go into next season with just that 6 on your staff.

Arroyo you pencil in for 200+ innings, a 4-ish ERA, and takes the ball every 5th(or 4th) day for 32+ starts.

If you sign him to a long-term deal and all the young pitchers flourish - then you have the Horrible problem of having too much pitching, which EVERY team in baseball is willing to overpay for in a trade.

Brilliant idea IMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Good post.

I've been a Bailey critic for a long time, but I think if he stays healthy, next year is the season he starts putting it all together.

I love Wood. Dude is in the style of Maddux and Glavine. Just knows how to pitch and spots his locations perfectly.

Gotta remember Volquez is back from TJ surgery and cut him some slack.

I'd be happier leaving Chapman in the bullpen and grooming him for the closer role for when Cordero leaves after next season.

Krawhitham
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM

There is ZERO chance they get a starter in FA, They will not spend $ for an ace with they have 6 solid starters and 2 more in the wings

This is the only place in the world I have seen a 17 game winner not called an "ace". He just held the best lineup in baseball to ONE earned run, and if not for the 2 errors would have pitched deeper in the game

But Cueto is improving every season and might be an "ace" people are looking for.

The 6
Homer
Cueto
Wood
Volquez
Arroyo
Leake

+2
Chapman
Maloney

Wildcard
LeCure

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 02:32 PM
My bet is that the Reds WILL trade for an ace starting pitcher. The deal will include that other team taking Cordero for his last year of his contract. In return, the Reds give up a boatload of top prospects/current major league players. It's probably gonna a hurt a little too, but the fans will eventually get over it.

Relieving the Reds of Cordero will free up enough room to pay for the ace. In return again, the other team gets good future players to rebuild their team.

webbbj
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
^^^
i like this idea but will this be a one year Ace or a guy curently on a multi year deal?

i think the above would only happen if chapman proves to be a starter. if he doesnt i think its easy to just put leake in the minors and reevaluate at the trade deadline.

if the pitching stands pat for next year w/ Arroyo, Wood, bailey, cueto, volquez, leake. does leake spend 1 year in the minors? which i wouldnt mind at all.

arkimadee
10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
johnfayman John Fay
Jocketty says the #Reds will definitely pick up Arroyo's option. Will try to add years

Looks like we get Bronson for atleast 1 more season !

malcontent
10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
This is the only place in the world I have seen a 17 game winner not called an "ace". He just held the best lineup in baseball to ONE earned run, and if not for the 2 errors would have pitched deeper in the game

Yeah, it is amazing. 17-game winner. Toughest on RHH (at least in the NL).

Best ERA in MLB in 2009 second half. Amazing stretch of QS.

Keeps himself prepared, physically and mentally. Just a helluva pitcher, IMO.

I think he could do this till he's 40.

And yet some people seem to think he's always ready to blow up.

Damn tough crowd.