PDA

View Full Version : Worst Reds playoff team ever?

will5979
10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry I know there are thousands of posts regarding this series...but I have a serious thought and question, is the 2010 Reds the worst Reds playoff team ever? I truely believe that after what I saw in the past 2 games this club has no business playing in October, this year anyway. At least show up and put up an effort. If we get swept from Philly at least make it look good. I feel like a AA team playing against the BRM right now. Just goes to show you that the playoff format is screwed up and watered down...I want to go back to the east and west division, have a 3 of 5 NLCS, and a 4 of 7 World Series, the postseason is too damn long and there are teams that don't belong (cough cough) us.

I don't think I have ever dreaded a trip to Cincy the way I dread my trip tomorrow. Man I remember the last time I came to Cincy in October, we were returning from the West coast with a 2-0 lead and we dominated Hideo Nomo to win the series sweep, now I have to witness us being swept, LAME!

arkimadee
10-09-2010, 08:09 PM
It's hard to come to those conclusions until the playoffs are actually over for them. I was born in 85 so this is only the third i have ever seen. Right now it's worse than the 95 team but thats to be determined

PMand JM
10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Not worse than the 95 team...this is a much younger squad with a much brighter future

Natty Redlocks
10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Sorry I know there are thousands of posts regarding this series...but I have a serious thought and question, is the 2010 Reds the worst Reds playoff team ever? I truely believe that after what I saw in the past 2 games this club has no business playing in October, this year anyway. At least show up and put up an effort. If we get swept from Philly at least make it look good. I feel like a AA team playing against the BRM right now. Just goes to show you that the playoff format is screwed up and watered down...I want to go back to the east and west division, have a 3 of 5 NLCS, and a 4 of 7 World Series, the postseason is too damn long and there are teams that don't belong (cough cough) us.

I don't think I have ever dreaded a trip to Cincy the way I dread my trip tomorrow. Man I remember the last time I came to Cincy in October, we were returning from the West coast with a 2-0 lead and we dominated Hideo Nomo to win the series sweep, now I have to witness us being swept, LAME!

Do you really think they busted their tails for six months, winning the division and making the playoffs against all odds, only to get there and decide to not try very hard? I know they looked bad; if anything they were pressing too hard. It sucks that these first two games have gone down the way they have, but they do belong in the playoffs, if winning the division was easy, the Pirates would do it.

webbbj
10-09-2010, 08:40 PM
it might be i guess but thats not really anything to be ashamed of when you consider the other reds playoff teams were great.

Vottomatic
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
The Reds contended in the 1970's, but didn't win it all until 1975.

Patience, grasshopper.

And the Reds still had one of the better overall records in the NL, so they deserved to be there. Honestly, they should have won game 2, and the series would be tied 1-1 right now, but they Bucknered themselves.

Young team with a bright future. Pitching galore and hopefully payroll flexibility according to 757690.

1990REDS
10-10-2010, 09:20 AM
They lead the league in BA, HR, and RBI's as a team. No they are not the worst Reds palyoff team ever. IMO

Wiggidy
10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Cut them a little slack. This series could easily be tied. The Reds are good enough to pull out a miracle in this series. I don't rank teams as "worst playoff team" because being a playoff team against all odds is wonderful no matter how this series goes down.

Maker_84
10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
i would say yes

BAKER12
10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Not close, look at the 1984 Kansas City Royals
They won 84 games in a terrible AL West and were silent in the playoffs against Detroit

Orodle
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
maybe the Phillies are just good.....

New York Red
10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
This Reds team overachieved all season long, IMO, and then hit the proverbial wall late in the year. They weren't playing their best baseball entering the postseason, and then they got the worst possible matchup in the Phillies. The Phillies are arguably the best team in all of baseball right now, yet they only scored five earned runs against us in three playoff games.

This Reds team has nothing to be ashamed of. A better description of them would be maybe "Youngest Reds playoff team ever". I don't know if that's accurate or not, but it's closer than the title the OP gives them.

texasdave
10-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for a little tidbit like this. I wonder why Francisco Cordero didn't get to pitch an inning in Game 3? I know it wasn't a save situation and I know it had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the series. But, as far as I can tell, Cordero has never pitched in the playoffs. Maybe he didn't want an appearance, I don't know. Just thought that was odd. You would think he would want to get out there.

DocRed
10-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Twins fans are wondering the same thing this year...

Hey Meat
10-12-2010, 02:58 PM
How can you be bashing what the Reds have done this year. Look for the positive. We made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Don't blame this team for the fact that it ran up against the Phils. If you are going to blame anyone blame Dusty. Maybe we didn't need to be giving anyone the day off until we were sure that we had home field locked up for a NLDS.

mlh1981
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Kinda a superflous question, if you ask me.

I'm just happy we got in, we found out what we still need to improve upon, and I can't wait for the future.