PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gwynn fighting cancer.

corkedbat
10-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Loved watching Gwynn when he played. i wish him all the best. In addition to the possible leathality, mouth cancer can be disfiguring and painful.

Considering the number of players that chewed (and still do in some cases), the nature of the inside of the mouth and the direct delivery, it's a blessing there aren't more instances then there are. A local HS player had it a while back and it was a very sad story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Tony-Gwynn-suspects-his-cancer-comes-from-chewin?urn=mlb-275815

Phhhl
10-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Gwynn is one of the top three hitters I have ever had the pleasure of seeing work his trade in person. If the Padres needed a leadoff hitter, he could be one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. If they needed someone to hit third and drive the ball, he could star in that role too. As a baserunner, he was smart enough to steal a base or advance on an overthrow at any point in any game. To think that he is suffering from cancer is sad. Tony Gwynn is one of the top five greatest players in the last 50 years of this game, easily. If you feel a need to identify, I think the man has a lot in common with Barry Larkin in terms of how he performed offensively, and even more in common with Pete Rose in terms of how he prepared for every single at bat of his career.

This is a great man. I sincerely hope Tony can overcome this and continue his career as one of the greatest living ambassadors for the game far into the future.

Todd Gack
06-16-2014, 11:18 AM
News has reached twitter that Tony Gwynn has passed away today.

RIP.