PDA

View Full Version : Walt announces Reds to pick up Arroyo's option

NeilHamburger
10-10-2010, 03:19 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Theoretically, last night’s start could have been Bronson Arroyo’s last start as a Red. The club is on the brink of elimination, and Arroyo is in the last year of his contract. The club does hold an $11 million option.

It will be picked up, general manager Walt Jocketty said. The Reds would like to extend Arroyo, but Jocketty leaves it at that.

mattfeet
10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Im glad to see this.

-Matt

BurgervilleBuck
10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Me, too.

Redsnake
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I just think Arroyo is due for a down year and still projects no better than a #3 even on this team behind Cueto and Wood.

$11 million...I'd pass.
I would rather see them use the $11 million, add some of Harangs money and get Greinke. Then pocket the difference and use toward a better LF option.
Which I feel is the biggest need on this team.

Girevik
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I think you have to pick up the option, but I also think you give a lot of consideration to trading him, especially if are getting near the deadline and it looks like the young arms are ready to step up and replace him.

10-11-2010, 01:55 PM
He has never missed a start. 6 straight years of 30+ starts and 200+ IP, with an average ERA of under 4.50. That is very valuable and hard to find. He might not be worth $11M, but he's worth very close to that, and I don't see anyone who can provide that for less.

krm1580
10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I see it like this:

If the Reds pick up his option for 2011, the 2012 season will be his first chance to become a free agent and due to his age (35 by 2012 opening day) it will most likely be his last chance to get a big money deal.

Regardless of your opinion of him, 200 inning, 4 era guys, on the open market go for more than 11 million per season. My guess, as seems to be the case with pitchers, is his agent will want a 4 year deal. Most teams will probably offer 3 years, but there will always be desperate teams that throw in that 4th year (Pedro Martinez/Mets, Cordero/Reds). So if the Reds want to keep in beyond 2011, my guess is they would probably need to offer 4 years at >12 million before he becomes a free agent.

Now is Arroyo worth >12 mill
In 2012 - Probably
in 2013 - Maybe
Beyond 2014- ?????

As a mid market team, the Reds cannot make financial mistakes by paying guys beyond their usefullness. So my opinion is sign him to the option and look to deal him. He is coming off arguably the best season of his career and I believe they can probably get more by trading him that letting him walk and taking the two draft picks.

bshall2105
10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I just think Arroyo is due for a down year and still projects no better than a #3 even on this team behind Cueto and Wood.

$11 million...I'd pass.
I would rather see them use the $11 million, add some of Harangs money and get Greinke. Then pocket the difference and use toward a better LF option.
Which I feel is the biggest need on this team.

People have been saying Bronson is due for a down year for a few years now. Guess what, he still has not had one.

Vottomatic
10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I think you have to pick up the option, but I also think you give a lot of consideration to trading him, especially if are getting near the deadline and it looks like the young arms are ready to step up and replace him.

It's a win-win situation for the Reds.

1. Pick up the option, and hope he anchors a contending ballclub.
2. If you have injuries or starting pitching problems, he's one more arm you don't have to worry about.
3. If the young starting pitching improves dramatically, Bronson becomes expendable.
4. If Bronson is not open to a long term reasonable contract with the Reds and wants to test free agency, then you definitely trade him unless the Reds are having some kind of remarkable dominant year, and Arroyo is too.

The only way it backfires is if they have a dominant year, win big, go to the postseason as huge favorites and lay an egg and get nothing for Bronson before he hits free agency. If all the pieces come together and they win it all, it will have all been worth it.

winks
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree with 757690. He's durable and eats innings and I think could be real valuable to the young guys.

mmt1552
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, you have to pick up his option. He's the veteran presence in the rotation, and he's steady. Hard to find a FA pitcher that will sign a one year deal at the same cost with his production.

Now, as for the extension talk, I'm not sure if I like the idea. I'd like to see where the younger Reds pitchers are at the end of next season to see if Bronson is needed. If they progress well this year and gain experience they he may not be needed past 2011 at the price he'd probably demand. Only way I'd even think about an extension is if its about about 3 years at a decent, low price and lowers the amount of money he'd make next year (kind of like Rolen I guess). I don't think Bronson would be for it though.

NorrisHopper30
10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree about picking up the option, but signing him longer than 2-3 years would be idiotic. I honestly would prefer to just take the option and see what happens..then maybe sign him later..although he probably wouldn't be too happy with that.

Redsnake
10-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I guess I didn't make my opinion specific enough. If the Reds make no off season deals, keep Arroyo.

I'm suggestion if you going to spend $11 million on one pitcher I would rather get a potential #1 than a serviceable innings eater. A sub 4.5 200 innings guy is still not pitching game one in a playoff series.

I would rather spend the $11 million and add a few extra on a Jason Werth.
and have the Reds go with what they got now.

mckbearcat48
10-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Arroyo is better than Suppan, who got 4/48 from the Brewers. Let that be a guide to what he would get on the open market.

scott91575
10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I guess I didn't make my opinion specific enough. If the Reds make no off season deals, keep Arroyo.

I'm suggestion if you going to spend $11 million on one pitcher I would rather get a potential #1 than a serviceable innings eater. A sub 4.5 200 innings guy is still not pitching game one in a playoff series.

I would rather spend the $11 million and add a few extra on a Jason Werth.
and have the Reds go with what they got now.

You don't have the option available forever. Deals don't really heat up until December, and you have to make a decision on Arroyo's option by then.

As for Werth, it's not just $11 million for him. It's $75 million. This team will see lots of player's salaries increase in the next 5 or 6 years. Werth will be getting $15 million a year for about 5 years. For the Reds to get him, it will probably have to be more than that. The Reds cannot afford that kind of contract with all the increases in the next 5 years.

carmack42
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
When I saw him pinch-running in Game 3, I was thinking he's a gamer. He seems to have his head screwed on straight. I'm glad he's still in a Reds uni.