PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Season Comes To An End

berryluther
10-10-2010, 10:54 PM
This is one of the worst playoff appearances I have ever seen.

I knew the National Leagues best offense was mediocre at best. A couple of players with hot starts cooled off and indeed made this team a fraud.

Johnny Gomes did not deserve one at bat this post season and Rolen has been horrid since July 1st.

Left feild and Short Stop are spots that have to be upgraded and I suspect that we have seen the best that we are going to see from Rolen.

I know we are all disappointed but we just cemented the comments of people like Cowherd who called us frauds.

BlastFurnace
10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
You still got to be happy with the season though. It was great to finally see playoff baseball for the Reds again.

Hopefully, more to come.

Oxblood
10-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Team was on fire with Janish & Valaika up the middle, stick w/ what is working who cares about the paychecks. It was Dusty being dusty again and again, glad we extended him. :thumbdown

TC81190
10-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't let this postseason ruin the great season 2010 was. It was nice to get here, but the team obviously needed more experience, and maybe a few extra parts.

We'll be back next year.

TheBigLebowski
10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I guess we got what we deserved for daring to be Reds fans....a no-hitter, giving away a 4 run lead via inexplicable errors and getting shut out at home and therefore swept....this series was the equivalent of the Kimo Von Oelhoffen hit on Palmer....but there was a lot of good stuff that happened before the playoffs....we saw some of our prospects grow into legit starts and we saw some prospects show some real promise to be those next stars....

We should be better next season. I don't know what's to come of Rolen or Phillips but, now that the dust has settled, I hope they are both here and healthy to get us to another playoff appearance. It was pretty damned exciting....I could get used to it.

Thanks, Reds....it was fun....and no one can take away the fact we won the division. They can't, right???

Oxblood
Looking forward to next season, but then I remember who our manager is.

Krawhitham
Well, it WAS a great season

+1

Krawhitham
10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
We were a season ahead of pace, and what a fun season it was

aldotcs
10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Daring to be Reds fans? I'm not *that* put out about it! Here's to a better next year, boys!

TC81190
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
We were a season ahead of pace, and what a fun season it was
Yep. Almost like the Philly team of a few years ago.

BAKER12
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I refuse to be negative about the 2010 team.
Back in March we were all hoping to finish above .500 and maybe make the Cardinals sweat down the stretch.
This team has great chemistry and will continue to improve.
Have never enjoyed a team more than the 2010 Reds.

LeDoux
10-10-2010, 11:18 PM
A disapointing playoff series aside, it has been a great year for Reds fans. 91-71, division winners, and a good foundation for 2011.

Hats off to the 2010 Central Champs.

BAKER12
10-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Oxblood, Dusty will probably win his 4th Manager of the year award this year. That is pretty impressive.

aldotcs
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
It just didn't work out for us this season. The Twins got swept too. It happens. I wish it hadn't happened with two ugly playoff games. Tonight's game was just another of those no offense games.

Jim
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
It was definitely a great season and the future is very encouraging! Looking forward to ST '11!!

aldotcs
10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I agree. After spending so many years just wanting over .500, it's been a wonderful season. And finishing so many games ahead of St Louis was just gravy. How many days until Opening Day?

Oxblood
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Oxblood, Dusty will probably win his 4th Manager of the year award this year. That is pretty impressive.

It's also pretty impressive to keep playing a crusty OCab game after game when there's a better option on the bench. Great managing.

carmack42
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
In '07, the Phils were swept in their first playoff appearance in 14 years. In '08, they won the Series.

This year, we were swept in our first playoff appearance in 15 years. Wait. 'Till. Next. Year.

Maker_84
10-10-2010, 11:24 PM
i agree, anyone happy with just making the postseason and getting swept is delusional. this season was a dissappointment

TC81190
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
i agree, anyone happy with just making the postseason and getting swept is delusional. this season was a dissappointment
I'm happy with the season, not happy with the postseason.

bigredmechanism
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
It's been a great ride this season, guys.

Tough losses, but try to keep in mind (as hard as it is) that virtually no one expected us to be playing these games way back in April.

We have a ton to look forward to.

ThornWithin81
10-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Great season, terrible series. It could not have gone any worse. The great hitters did not hit, the great fielders did not field, we were shutout twice and no hit - the second no hitter in the postseason, ever.

Inexcusable. I'm glad I have other sports to follow and take my mind off of this debacle and this team. I feel for anyone who lives and dies with the Reds.

ThornWithin81
10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
In retrospect, winning the Division meant next to nothing. We didn't finish strong, the Cardinals didn't finish strong and we were routed out of the playoffs.

We looked awful. That kind of performance kills whatever momentum this franchise could have had with a respectable showing, even if they had lost to Philly in four or five games. The bulk of Cincinnati won't remember the Division title. They'll remember the no hitter, the error fest, and Al Leiter 2.0.

What a waste.

ThornWithin81
10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I know we are all disappointed but we just cemented the comments of people like Cowherd who called us frauds.

Bingo. And Cowherd was right. Quality teams don't get no hit in the post-season. There's a reason it only happened once prior to this year.

Billy_Bearcat
10-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Bingo. And Cowherd was right. Quality teams don't get no hit in the post-season. There's a reason it only happened once prior to this year.

This.

TheBigLebowski
10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
In retrospect, winning the Division meant next to nothing. We didn't finish strong, the Cardinals didn't finish strong and we were routed out of the playoffs.

We looked awful. That kind of performance kills whatever momentum this franchise could have had with a respectable showing, even if they had lost to Philly in four or five games. The bulk of Cincinnati won't remember the Division title. They'll remember the no hitter, the error fest, and Al Leiter 2.0.

What a waste.

I'm not always the voice of reason, per se...and I do get why you might be really bummed out right now, but people will remember winning this division and probably look back on this season with a great deal of pride.

It does suck, however, that our two greatest strengths - our defense and our hitting - abandoned us when it mattered most.

10-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Reds led the NL in offense in nearly every major category. The offense was not the main issue in these playoff games. Inexperience was.

FlyerFanatic
10-10-2010, 11:47 PM
i've said this numerous times in other threads. the playoffs are a crapshoot. lets just focus on making multiple appearances consistently, then we can dissect the post seasons.

Jefferson24
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
go 2011 Reds!!!

time to move on

10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Uhhhh.....

Did anyone really think that the Reds were a dominant, playoff worthy team this season?

They were fun to watch, but they clearly were a young, yet very talented team that was just beginning to experience success for the first time in 15 seasons. They were a league leader in comeback wins and winning in their last AB. That's usually a sign of an overachieving team.

They remind me of the 2007 Phillies, actually, who unexpectedly won the East, and then got swept by the Rockies. Both teams has a talented, but inexperienced core. I'm not saying the Reds will become the dynasty that the Phillies have become, but they have the talent to do it. They just need more experience at this winning thing.

Most people would have been happy with a .500 record. This team won 90 games and won the division handily. Hard to be disappointed with that.

Jefferson24
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I enjoyed this season very much, lets build on it.

10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Can't wait until pitchers and catchers report in February!

:):):):):)

10-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Yep. Almost like the Philly team of a few years ago.

Very similar, and they got swept in their first post season appearance in awhile too. They had a nice bounce back the next season. ;)

Red in Atl
10-10-2010, 11:55 PM
They weren't supposed to be here and they made it. They were totally outclassed by a group of 5 guys who've played 33 (I think) games together in the playoffs and one of the baddest ass big three pitchers in baseball. Add in three of our "veteran leaders" are basically injured or out with the rest of the team a bunch of first timers in the playoffs.

We were doomed to failure at the onset, but at least then we had hope. You can't take away some pretty good pitching performances that will go far for the future. The rest is all learning experience and we got ours a year early.

I look forward to watching this team grow and mature and get better over the next few years. Phillies could easily continue to be the nemesis with the big boys locked up, so get ready for the ride boys and girls.

We may be off tonight, but we'll be back!

Great season Reds...certainly worth the $160 package from Comcast even though they screw me out of the HD...

Jefferson24
10-10-2010, 11:56 PM
We'll be back next year.

Maybe, that's up to Walt, he has some work to do.

arkimadee
10-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Just got back from the stadium. Fans rocked tonight. Phillies just better than the reds. It's depressing the season is over. It was fun spending it with all you guys whether we agreed on dusty and janish or not. I'm glad I joined this board this year because you all are intelligent and share my passion for the reds. Have a good offseason all

redsfan_12
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
It was a great season. I enjoyed every second of it. I'm already looking forward to next year

texasdave
10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I never realized Reds fans were as dumb as Cubs fans. Nice job on the Utley homer you freakin idiots.

arkimadee
10-11-2010, 01:01 AM
I never realized Reds fans were as dumb as Cubs fans. Nice job on the Utley homer you freakin idiots.
What happened on that play? I was in the view level and couldn't really tell

ukwazoo
10-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Reds led the NL in offense in nearly every major category. The offense was not the main issue in these playoff games. Inexperience was.

4 runs in 3 games. 1 of them scored on an error. Need another weapon in the lineup.

Vottomatic
10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
This team needs a few more parts to win it all.

Getting swept will sit with these guys all Winter long and hopefully drive them to want more, like the Phillies team that keeps being mentioned.

I'd much rather finish 20 games over .500 and make the postseason, than finish under .500 and feel crappy about our year. In the end, only one team will be standing as World Series Champs anyway, so we're not the only team that will fall short. All but one team will.

Making the postseason gives this team something to build on it, and also gives them confidence that they can get there.

Congrats to the 2010 Reds.

Now management needs to continue tweaking things to make us better. And hopefully attendance gets a needed boost next year with increased season ticket sales.

Caveman Techie
10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I am fine with the Reds losing to the Phillies, wish it wouldn't of happened but whatever. I was just upset with the way it happened on Friday night.

But as for what some of you are saying, REALLY? You act like we're the Yankees or something, the Reds were playing a team that had more than double the payroll, yeah that's an awful tall mountain to climb. Then others calling for Dusty to play a rookie 2nd baseman over Brandon Phillips???? Really? Are you crazy? Phillips was one of the few offensive bright spots on this team during the playoffs.

gmt
10-11-2010, 10:46 AM
It was a good 5 out of 6+ months season. Too bad the worst was the end. Next season should be a great challenge to see if the Reds can make the playoffs again. The astros and brewers will be better. The Cardinals will be better. I can see a lot tighter race than 2010. It would not surprise me to see any one of the Reds, Cardinals, Astros or Brewers win the division. None of the teams look to be consistently dominant. Strange things happen when you crown a team the pre-season champs. A lot of off-season work needs to be done to fill some holes.

Girevik
10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I understand the Reds losing, and I think we all pretty much expected it. The way it happened, though, was beyond ugly. The best offensive and defensive team in the NL committed more errors in the series than they scored runs. That's just not good.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
This team needs a few more parts to win it all.

Getting swept will sit with these guys all Winter long and hopefully drive them to want more, like the Phillies team that keeps being mentioned.

I'd much rather finish 20 games over .500 and make the postseason, than finish under .500 and feel crappy about our year. In the end, only one team will be standing as World Series Champs anyway, so we're not the only team that will fall short. All but one team will.

Making the postseason gives this team something to build on it, and also gives them confidence that they can get there.

Congrats to the 2010 Reds.

Now management needs to continue tweaking things to make us better. And hopefully attendance gets a needed boost next year with increased season ticket sales.

Great Post! :beerme:

Every year, I was just hoping the Reds broke .500 and this year they won the division. This team accomplished a lot this season and next year has a lot of promise.

Thanks for a great season Reds!

EddieMilner
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I think this series showed that the Reds need to make a major step to win the World Series. It felt (to me) as if we were the little brothers and the Phillies were able to do about anything. Kind of reminds me of the late 80s Bulls teams that couldn't get put it all together in the play-offs. Luckily this team wasn't built for a one and done run and they should have a few more opportunities in the coming years.

However after what Utley pulled in Game 2 I think the Reds could have kicked the little brother act and shown MLB they are a team not to screw with if they would have put Chapman in to face Utley and let him air out a 103 mph fastball behind Utley's head. And with Chapman just staring him down after it happens. That's the type of attitude winners need to have, taking it to them and not giving an inch. It just seemed the Reds were taking what the Phillies gave them the entire series, and I did not like that one bit.

Roush's socks
10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
2010 was a great season for the Reds.
1. Made playoffs for 1st time in 15 years.
2. Votto led league in OPS and had MVP season. He is still young.
3. Reds had 4 players make All-Star team.
3. Break out seasons for Bruce, Cueto, and Stubbs and Wood.
4. All kinds of potential with Leake, Chapman, Bailey and Volquez all showing great stuff, and all of them are young and improving.
5. Except for Rolen, Arroyo, Cordero and Hernandez all of the Reds key pieces are still young and should improve.

Losing in the playoffs sucked and watching the games was painful. But I've seen it many times over the years where young teams with a lot of talent come into the playoffs and get wiped by older teams with more experience. This happens in the NBA, NFL and the MLB. Confidence is everything in sports, and the Phillies expected to win the series, while the Reds did not. This also leads to getting more calls from the umps, who are only human. You could see it in game 2 where the Reds gout out ahead, but gave it away.

Next year the Reds will have more experience. All their young players will be back. Hopefully they can find an upgrade in LF. I would be in favor of trading one of the potential 7 starters for the right player. Of course, trading starting pitching away can really come back to bight you in the ass.

Jack Burton
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
This was probably the worst case scenario for this team, do just enough for dusty to keep his job.

New York Red
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Fantastic season for the Reds, until the final month rolled around. And unfortunately the Reds we saw the last month of the regular season showed up again in the playoffs. This team got to 23 games over .500, at 78-55 or something like that, and then went downhill the rest of the way. Lack of experience did them in, and they never recovered. Still extremely proud of them and excited about next year!

winks
10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Great season. Very fun to watch. They have to get tougher on the good teams next year, but what a joy. I'm still hoping to hear about a 8 or 10 year contract for Votto. they have to sign him forever.

improbus
10-11-2010, 09:51 PM
The postseason was atrocious, but it won't ruin the season for me. I enjoyed baseball for the first time in years. I didn't have that "wait until next year" mentality watching games, and they had me believing by the 3rd inning of game 2 that they could come back to win. Ultimately, their inexperience and age (Rolen was beyond awful) came back to haunt them. But, hope springs eternal because 1) The Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, and Astros are still in our division. 2) All of our young guys will be back and better. 3) Arroyo, Cordero, and Harang all come off the books soon.

texasdave
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
This was probably the worst case scenario for this team, do just enough for dusty to keep his job.

Amen.

BLEEDS
10-11-2010, 10:47 PM
It just didn't work out for us this season. The Twins got swept too. It happens. I wish it hadn't happened with two ugly playoff games. Tonight's game was just another of those no offense games.

Unfortunately the economics of baseball make it nearly impossible for the mid/low-market teams to compete.

NY has the offense to beat anyone in the AL.
In the NL, if you have TWO Aces, you can't be beat in a short 5 game series.
Good Pitching gets out good hitting; GREAT pitching gets out GREAT hitting. Especially in the NL where the pitcher bats.
The defensive anamoly that was game 2 could have put away the no-no - that could still be playing if Volquez hadn't blown up and we started Wood (who, you know had an 8 inning Perfect game going against this team, albeit with a lighter lineup) - in the rear view.

Hamels and Halladay are nearly impossible to get to in a short series.
I actually think we could have got to Philly had it been a best of 7, at least forced a game 7.

We need an Ace to emerge from that young pitching. Arroyo's a solid #2, but we need an Ace to win a short series in the NL with the likes of Philly and SF who can pitch 2 Aces.
We should have sold the farm for Cliff Lee. Now we're going to wait for Cueto and another of the TOR-ceiling guys to HIT their ceiling!

A SS/LF upgrade is necessary as well.

We're still young, and cheap, and I have faith in Walt to add the right pieces.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bagz
10-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Thank you 2010 REDS for a fantastic season! This is a young team that is just beginning to learn how to win. We'll be competitive for many years with our fine young players and experienced vets. There are some tweaks to be made and some missing pieces that need to be added but I'm very optimistic about the future of this club.
:thumbup: