PDA

View Full Version : Cole Hamels just Al Leiter'd Cincinnati

Brutus
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
to end their season.

Other than a few less runs, that was a mirror image of how the 1999 game felt to end the year.

Pretty disappointing that this season has, now, such a bitter taste to it. I recognize it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Nah, the one-game playoff vs. the Mets was over early, and it felt like a slow death. The Reds were never more than a couple of hits away tonight.

UKFlounder
10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
No - he Roy Halladay'ed us.

2 times in 3 games that our bats simply decided not to show up.

Oh well.

Brutus
10-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Nah, the one-game playoff vs. the Mets was over early, and it felt like a slow death. The Reds were never more than a couple of hits away tonight.

After 2 innings, I never felt the Reds would score more than 1 run. Did you?

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2010, 02:40 AM
The only hope is that some of the young arms (Bailey / Volquez / Chapman) continue to develop and we can return the favor to them in the future.

In the meantime, you just have to tip your cap to them. Stellar effort by their front office in opening up the wallet to add a Cy Young award winner to a defending NL Championship squad.

The Boss (may he rest in something resembling peace) would be proud.

The Operator
10-11-2010, 03:32 AM
One thing we can hope for is that Philly starts making bad decisions with their money and locks up old, declining guys to big contracts. That formula burned the Yankees for a long time and it has killed The Mets.

So far, Philly has been fairly smart with their money. Hopefully they got cocky and make some bad long term moves.

*BaseClogger*
10-11-2010, 03:38 AM
One thing we can hope for is that Philly starts making bad decisions with their money and locks up old, declining guys to big contracts. That formula burned the Yankees for a long time and it has killed The Mets.

So far, Philly has been fairly smart with their money. Hopefully they got cocky and make some bad long term moves.

Jayson Werth?

The Operator
10-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Jayson Werth?I dunno, is Werth a likely candidate to decline quickly?

I know he's certainly a favorite of most people wanting a LF upgrade around here.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2010, 01:56 PM
After 2 innings, I never felt the Reds would score more than 1 run. Did you?

Well, yeah. Hamels made several mistakes over the middle of the plate, but Reds hitters couldn't do anything with them. If anyone had actually performed, the game was still within reach.

RBA
10-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I know if the Brandon Phillips fly was not caught, the game would have had a much different outcome. I just know it.

Brutus
10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, yeah. Hamels made several mistakes over the middle of the plate, but Reds hitters couldn't do anything with them. If anyone had actually performed, the game was still within reach.

I only saw about two innings, one early and one in the 7th, where I felt he made any mistakes. The rest of the time, he was pretty flawless with his changeup and cutter keeping the ball down in the zone and working the corners.

I just never had any faith whatsoever they were going to score a single run. I honestly didn't feel they could string together two hits.