PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Cincinnati Reds appreciation thread....

traderumor
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
I cannot let failure in the playoffs sour me on the team making it to the playoffs. I know some will take that as a "just glad to be there" attitude, but really it is great to see playoff games with my team legitimately being there. This team won 91 games.

In this series, the Phillies simply outpitched us. Our pitching held up very well to their offense, but no offense is a match for dealing pitchers. We saw it Wednesday, we saw it tonight. Of course, we should only be down 2-1, but it is what it is.

Regardless, this was a great season of Reds baseball. The team is built to be a few shrewd moves away from rising to challenge the team that just handed them their hat in three games. That is the next goal. We rose to a level to be the best in the Central. Now we need to make moves to rise to the level of the Phillies.

Take a few weeks off, enjoy the rest of the playoffs, then get busy Walt.

SirFelixCat
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
:thumbup:

And a big, big :thumbup: to the Rally Onion! Couldn't have done it w/o ya!

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
With all the moaning and groaning that is pretty predicatble considering the outcome we all just witnessed...I think it's time to take a step back and think about what we all just went through since the start of the season.

How many here seriously thought these Redlegs would win their division and make the playoffs? Be honest. I didn't. I was ever hopeful, as always...but in my heart of hearts...I thought our year would be 2011 to break through.

But, that being said, think back on all the wonderful moments this team has given us. It's been the most enjoyable season I can remember since the 75 & 76 campaigns. 1990 was fun, as was 1999....but the ups and downs, the heartbreakers and emotional comebacks just made my year.

People can complain about who played over whom, about moves that Dusty made, about player moves that Walt made, but at the end of the season....they pushed the right buttons along the way and EVERYONE contributed. I don't think that can be stated enough. EVERYONE stepped up and did their part.

I'm sure we'll see some changes over the winter, but one thing I can be sure of heading into 2011 is that the decade of losing is over, the Deads are a thing of the past, and the Central is ours for the taking. I for one, will be counting the moments until I hear those refreshing and fateful words to a baseball fan from Cincinnati..."and this one belongs to the Reds".

:clap: Thank you 2010 Central Division Champions, Cincinnati Reds. Congrats on a fantastic season. :clap:

dman
10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
It was fun actually watching the players have fun being around each other. When I watched these guys this year, I saw a team that looked like they really enjoyed playing together.

It's even funner to watch when it wasn't expected of them to even make it this far.

SirFelixCat
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

BoydsOfSummer
10-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Fine season. A lot of fun. Thanks Reds!

TheNext44
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Can't complain about a single thing.

For the first time in 15 Octobers, I am proud to be Reds fan.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

TRF
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
my list of complaints.

nothing. I didn't agree with everything, but then no one should. fun season with potential for more next year and beyond.

Ron Madden
10-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I really enjoyed the 2010 season. :thumbup:

When do Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training?

reds44
10-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't have a negative thing to say about this team. It was great. They broke the decade of suck. Even OC hit a walkoff and Gomes had May.

Love this team.

TheNext44
10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Fun ride indeed!

:)

kaldaniels
10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Great season.

Lets get the Opening Day Countdown going.

dman
10-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Very emotional ride. Lots of ups, turns and twists.

I will say that the downs were scarce for the most part, but when they came, they were doozies.

mbgrayson
10-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks Reds, for an unexpectedly good 2010....

Here's to even better seasons in the years to come! :beerme:

vaticanplum
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Some of my favorite moments, just off the top of my head:

The back-to-back complete game shutouts in Pittsburgh after being swept there the first time out.

The fans' apoplectic All-Star campaign for Joey Votto. And Votto becoming a superstar.

Smacking the Cubs on the Fourth of July.

The Cards brawl.

Chapman's debut and the energy he carried that whole week.

August.

A late-season West Coast trip that wasn't a complete disaster.

Cordero's coronary-inducing "I can't pitch until the bases are loaded" games.

Volquez's return. Bailey's re-emergence.

Leake's early season help. Masset and Rhodes too.

Rolen's kicky catches.

Bruce's three-homer game. Bruce's clincher.

And I know I'm missing a ton.

reds44
10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
We'll always have the Bruce homer. Always.

dman
10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I always felt like I had to take a sedative this season when the Reds were ahead in the 9th by 1 or 2 runs and Dusty would bring Cordero in to close. Aggravating as heck at the time, but comical in retrospect.

What can be said about this season except for WOW!!!!!

Jay Bruce and Joey Votto were highlights for me, but the one I liked most was seeing Travis Wood go toe to toe against Roy Halladay in Philly back in July. A rookie and a Cy Young winner, one carrying a perfect game into the 9th, the other a no-hitter. That was a fantastic game.

I've really enjoyed seeing Drew Stubbs develop as well.

reds1869
10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
This has been my favorite summer of baseball. I have confidence the Reds will change that in 2011, but I'll always remember this team fondly.

reds1869
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Buckle your seat belts, because the ride will resume next spring. Thanks for a fun 2010, Reds.

vaticanplum
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Jay Bruce and Joey Votto were highlights for me, but the one I liked most was seeing Travis Wood go toe to toe against Roy Halladay in Philly back in July. A rookie and a Cy Young winner, one carrying a perfect game into the 9th, the other a no-hitter. That was a fantastic game.

Oh my god I forgot that game. Fantastic indeed.

CarolinaRedleg
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
It's Oct. 10 and I'm just starting to turn my attention to football. Haven't been able to say that in years.
Coming into 2010, I said many times a season above .500 was plenty for me, start setting things up for 2011 and beyond. Having exceeded those expectations, meager as they were, I feel really, really good about what's ahead for this franchise.
It's been a great ride, regardless of the crappy ending.

reds1869
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh my god I forgot that game. Fantastic indeed.

One of my absolute favorite games of the year. I love pitching and that one delivered in a big way.

The Operator
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
This was a bummer ending, but the season was still amazing.

I will not let this sweep keep me from fondly remembering the 2010 Reds. This team gave me so many great moments, this entire summer was just a blast. The best part is, I don't think they're a flash in the pan. I think we'll be back and this humbling experience will have made the team stronger.

Thank you, 2010 Reds. Best season of my adult life, by miles and miles.

Tom Servo
10-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Agreed with everything said so far. And the best part is that 2010 and the playoffs feel more to me like the beginning of something (bigger) rather than the end.

WVPacman
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
This years team was counted out by everybody on tv and the way they proved everybody wrong by winning the NL central and making the playoffs was absolutly great.Thank you reds for ending the 15 year drought and bringing excitment back for all the Reds fans.

dman
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Agreed with everything said so far. And the best part is that 2010 and the playoffs feel more to me like the beginning of something (bigger) rather than the end.

I feel the same. I hope the front office has seen what this team is capable of and goes out this winter to make some (truly) meaningful moves to build upon what is here.

I can't keep up on who is and who might be available in the off-season, but if they pursue players, I hope they are meaningful moves.

Hopefully this season will have made it more enticing for some better and bigger name players to want to play for the Reds.

corkedbat
10-11-2010, 01:19 AM
The ending was a bit of a letdown, but that's only temporary. This season was a joy and that's what I'll remember. Now it's going to be interesting to see what they can do to build on the momentum.

I don't expect to see them go hogwild, but seeing the attendance grow (along with the fans' enthusiasm) can be a drug to an owner like Castellini. Not saying he's gonna go all Steinbrenner on us overnight, but if the right deal comes along, he might stretch the budget a tad more than he planned, hoping to extend the ride and recoup through increased 2011 atendance.

I don't expect Jocketty to be satisfied by any means either. He's has made some nice moves, but I still have the feeling that he will make the one blockbuster move that really puts his stamp on the franchise - like the BigMac deal in St. Loony. It will also be interesting to see if he will have any success in shifting the payroll distribution around.

GAC
10-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Regardless of their quick 1st round exit at the hands of the Phillies I'm damn proud of my Reds and what they accomplished this year.

C'mon folks, admit it! This team, especially if one brings the Prediction thread up, exceeded our wildest expectations. We haven't experienced a season like this since the '99 one, and a post-season since 1995.

Don't use this thread to emphasize their "holes" or weaknesses, or to whine or complain about what they did or didn't do. Yeah, we all know they have some areas to address. But we have something very positive to BUILD ON.

This thread is all about expressing just how proud you are of this 2010 team, and showing your gratitude for our first winning season in 10 years. These guys went 91-71...that's 20 games over .500 - how many predicted that?

THINK ON THIS..... when it's all said and down, only 8 teams make it to the post-season and we were one of them.

And we faced a darn good (and superior) Phillies team that has been to the two previous World Series (won one), and could very well be on the way to their third. As disappointed and broken-hearted as we all may be, there is still no shame in losing to them. We simply lost to the better team.

But what we witnessed this year, IMO, was not simply a "flash in the pan". We have a solid (yet inexperienced) young nucleus of talented players. And I do believe that this post-season, if anything, did teach them something about themselves that can be used positively as a learning experience.

So let me echo the eternal words of the prophet (Arnold), and I sincerely believe this.... "I'll (we'll) be back!"

So hold your head up high Red fans, and relish what this team (organization) gave us in 2010. It doesn't mean you have to be complacent or satisfied, but only that it gives us a firmer hope, and to be more optimistic.

And if you're a pessimist, then you need not respond. :p:

Thank you Bob Castellini, Walt Jocketty, Dusty Baker, the entire coaching staff, and more then anything else, I say emphatically .....

THANK YOU MY 2010 CINCINNATI REDS!!!! :thumbup:

SunDeck
10-11-2010, 05:55 AM
They got to the postseason earlier than I thought they would. This team has an extremely solid foundation and we can look forward to seeing them back here again soon. It's nice to finally be able to say that!

muddie
10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
It was a fun year. The last three games don't change that. I agree, I believe the Reds are ahead of schedule in their rebuilding effort.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Very optimistic for the future. As I said on another thread, we have a locked and loaded roster, a hungry owner and a stud GM. I like our chances.

WMR
10-11-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm optimistic about the future but a return to the playoffs is never guaranteed and there is no such thing as moral victories in the playoffs.

lollipopcurve
10-11-2010, 08:04 AM
It's the start of a boom in Redsville. Jocketty needs to turn the screw another time or two and the team will be locked in for another few years of winning. Would love to see the town buy up a bunch more season tickets, to help him out.

Always Red
10-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I think this season was a rousing success.

The main argument around these parts in ST was whether the Reds finally had enough talent to finish over .500. The Reds found success one year earlier than most thought they would.

I think that the team that just polished off the Redlegs is the best team in baseball. When the Phils first re-entered playoff baseball in 2007, they were dumped in 3 straight by the Rockies. They won the World Series the next year.

Now these Reds have playoff experience- and that is invaluable, going forward. Some tweaking of the roster, and reinforcement of the troops by the FO, and get back at it again in the spring.

I will not have a bad taste in my mouth over these playoffs at all. The Redlegs were beaten by a clearly superior team. I think everyone involved (players, coached, FO) learns from it.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I think this season was a rousing success.

The main argument around these parts in ST was whether the Reds finally had enough talent to finish over .500. The Reds found success one year earlier than most thought they would.

I think that the team that just polished off the Redlegs is the best team in baseball. When the Phils first re-entered playoff baseball in 2007, they were dumped in 3 straight by the Rockies. They won the World Series the next year.

Now these Reds have playoff experience- and that is invaluable, going forward. Some tweaking of the roster, and reinforcement of the troops by the FO, and get back at it again in the spring.

I will not have a bad taste in my mouth over these playoffs at all. The Redlegs were beaten by a clearly superior team. I think everyone involved (players, coached, FO) learns from it.

My sentiments exactly. Nice post.

camisadelgolf
10-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Absolutely. This is the most fun season I can ever remember, and the team was full of guys I love to root for. It might not have been a championship season, but it was a successful season nonetheless. They played hard, overcame adversity, and finally won the NL Central. It's a great time to be a Reds fan.

dfs
10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
The Redlegs were beaten by a clearly superior team. I think everyone involved (players, coached, FO) learns from it.

The reds have a lot of young guys who might have been tempted to believe "just getting here is enough." I think they way they went out will leave a bad taste in their collective mouths and they will learn from this.

In particular I think the pitchers have now been challenged to step forward and stop being "promising prospects" but to become dominant aces. There are a lot of candidates.

dougdirt
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Very happy about the future of the team. The season was awesome. The playoffs were brutal. Surprisingly though, they didn't suck as much as I would have expected if you had told me last week exactly what would have happened. I am looking forward to the offseason to see what the team can do to fill the few holes that we do have.

Joseph
10-11-2010, 12:20 PM
It was a lot of fun...a lot of fun.

I enjoyed seeing Votto become a superstar, and over the last month or two I think we've seen the Robin to his Batman in Jay Bruce. His AB's in the playoffs just made me feel like he's taken another step in his progress and that excites me about the future for him and the team.

We're pitching rich, not Atlanta in the 90's, but still very very good. If someone takes a step up, or Chapman can be what we all hope....

I was upset with game two, but you can't fault the effort this season. It was terrific and I'm quite happy to be a Reds fan.

Thanks guys.

sivman17
10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Great season. Disappointing finish, but the Phillies pitching is just dominant. The biggest disappointment for me watching them was the poor defense. But, ultimately they couldn't hit.

But, there's a lot of reason to be optimistic for the future. I really believe this team is a LF and a SS away from being a true contender next year. Joey Votto explains why we should be optimistic...

YouTube - Oct 10 2010 - Joey Votto Cincinnati Reds.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQf33Go9Uo&feature=youtu.be)

GAC
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Went to work this morning fully expecting to be razzed by a few people after the Reds lost Sunday night. All I heard from some, since I'm the resident Mr Red, was - "They had the best offense, and the best defense in the NL and got no-hit, shut out, and committed how many errors?"

Now I'm dealing with people who don't really follow baseball that well, aren't that "knowledgeable" in that aspect, and see the Reds as perennial losers to begin with. But my response to them was - "What you state is true, but you left out the most important area or stat, especially when it comes to the post-season and a short series, and would any of you know what I am referring to?"

They didn't, so I responded by spelling it out for them... "P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G" Pitching wins! They labor under this delusion that the offense, especially a good one, has a marked advantage over pitching. That it is the pitcher who is at a disadvantage. They have it backwards. I told one guy - you create your All-Star offense (batting order), then allow me to field my All-Star pitching rotation of Cy Young candidates/winners and the pitching will shut them down, or hold them at bay, for the most part.

Not to belittle what the Red's accomplished during the regular season, from an offensive standpoint, but those numbers were built on a 162 game schedule playing the very good, the average, and the bad.

But in the post-season you only play a narrow field of the very good for the most part. And when it comes to pitching, and a short series, facing Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamel back-to-back-to back, maybe the best 1-2-3 punch in the NL and maybe baseball, ANY team is going to find it difficult.

I look at it in a very simplistic manner because I'm a simple-minded guy, but a hitter when facing pitching, fails far more then he succeeds.

WVRed
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm surprised this thread hasn't had more responses.

I saw in the other thread where people were trying to compare this to 1999. I was 14 then and still remember how much the loss to the Mets stung. This series loss though doesn't have the same feeling. The Reds actually made the playoffs and the younger players were able to get a taste of the postseason. Hopefully the players come back wanting more next season.

As a Kentucky fan, the loss in the NCAA tournament to West Virginia stung way worse than this one though. The difference is that all of the key contributors on this club will be back next season. Imagine falling short of the goal and losing every single key contributor from that team.

_Sir_Charles_
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm right with you GAC. I was fully expecting to get an earful too from all the Astro fans I work with and that are customers at my restaurant. I did, as expected. But the surprising part was that it didn't bother me in the least. I was happy and upbeat.

Yeah, the series was painful to watch. But afterwards...I paused, took a deep breath, and saw my laptop background image of Jay Bruce heading towards homeplate with his arms thrown wide towards the awaiting mob....and I smiled. Not even 1 minute after the final out...I was smiling. That one picture told a thousand words (or moments in this case). It made me remember all the beautiful moments we've experienced this season and it makes you extremely hopeful for the seasons to come.

Sure, we may not get the extended success we all hope and pray for, but considering the great group of guys we currently have...I find myself simply looking forward to their development as major leaguers. I can't recall a team filled with such nice guys that mesh so well together as a group.

So when those select individual did approach me to belittle my Redlegs...I just smiled, agreed that they got their butts handed to them, but simply said they still had a great year and I'm looking forward to more of them to come. And thought to myself..."at least they're not the Astros". :O)

OnBaseMachine
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I was just wanna say thank you to the Reds for a great 2010 season. I will always remember this season. I was only eight years old the last time the Reds made the playoffs, so I don't really remember much from that year. I remember 1999 like it was yesterday, and while it was an amazing season, that team came up a little short of the playoffs. The 2010 Reds frustrated the heck out of me at times (the two 6-run leads blown in the 9th inning, five 1-0 losses in a 26 game span), but they were a lot of fun to watch and left me with a ton of great memories, most notably the walk-off homer by Jay Bruce to clinch the NL Central for the first time since 1995. I will never forget that.

This was an exciting summer. Yes, it ended with disappointment by getting swept by the Phillies in a bad manner, but I'll remember this season for the good times, not the NLDS sweep. I'm not the type of person who can easily brush off a loss (as many of you probably know just by reading my posts) but in this case I can. Truthfully, how many of us expected the Reds to win the NL Central this season? I didn't. I predicted them to win 87 games but I'm always optimistic in spring training. I did think they would be better than last season but I didn't expect a playoff appearance. I've thought all along that 2011 would be the Reds year.

Here's a quote from Ruben Amero Jr.:

"That's about as good a pitching performance on the other side as we've seen. They were all fantastic," Phillies GM Ruben Amaro said. "They're going to be good for a long time. They've got some great, great young arms. They're going to be a formidable opponent for a lot of years to come."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101010&content_id=15570058&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

I can't find it now, but there was another quote from some Phillies players where they said the 2010 Reds reminded them of the 2007 Phillies. Like the Reds this year, the Phillips ended a long playoff drought in 2007 only to get swept in the NLDS. The following year they won their division again, and of course, the World Series too. I'm not saying the Reds are going to win the World Series next year but I do think this team will be better and will have a chance to advance further, assuming they make a few moves. I think left field and shortstop are the biggest needs, and while a true ace would be nice, it will be tougher to find.

I have never been more excited about this franchise in my life. We have a lot to look forward to, IMO: We already have the 2010 NL MVP (IMO). We have Jay Bruce, a guy who is more than capable of winning a MVP. We have Drew Stubbs who looks like a budding star. Toss in solid players like Phillips and Rolen. Then we have up and coming prospects like Devin Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, and Zack Cozart in Triple-A. That's only the offense. The pitching is what has me excited: Aroldis Chapman, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Travis Wood, Homer Bailey, and Mike Leake, along with Nick Masset, Bill Bray, Jose Arredondo, Logan Ondrusek, and Donnie Joseph on the way. There's a lot of to excited about in Reds Land, IMO.

Again, I just want to thank the Reds for a great season. I've been itching to see a winner in Cincinnati for a long time and they finally delivered this season. Attending that playoff game last night was one of the best nights of my life. That was an unbelievable atmosphere and I only hope I can experience it again next season and the following season and many more years after that. You can never predict the future, but on paper the future looks bright for the Reds and I think we'll be seeing some more playoff baseball in Cincinnati in the near future.

Captain Hook
10-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Nice post OMB.

I won't get into how angry I was after last nights game or any of the things I was saying and thinking about a few of our guys.I'll just say that I was driving home listening to Marty wrap things up and suddenly a small weight seemed to lift and I realized something .What I realized is something I already knew but for some reason I have yet to enjoy it.Probably because I've been so caught up in the the race for the central title with the hated Cardinals,the anticipation of making it to the postseason, then the excitement of playoff baseball for the first time in 15 years.This simple piece of enjoyment that I've deprived myself of, was the simple the fact that the Reds now have a truly good baseball team.

For the first time in a long time I'm a fan of one of the better teams in all of baseball.How great is that?

Ron Madden
10-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Well said OBM. :thumbup:

I can't find the words that would actually describe just how much I wish that the younger fans in Reds Country could experience the feeling of winning the World Series.

You really have to live through it to truly understand just how great it feels. I know you would appreciate it every bit as much as I did.

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer - Phillies agree Reds have bright future

“They have great players and it looks like they’re going to keep that team together,” he said. “There’s a lot of great things to come for that team. It’s not the last you’ve heard of the Cincinnati Reds, for sure.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101011/SPT04/310110074/1071/Phillies-agree-Reds-have-bright-future

Chip R
10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
As I drove to work today I started thinking that as far as Reds baseball goes, there's nothing to look forward to until ST. Sure, there's the playoffs and World Series but it's not quite the same because of the year the Reds had.

I'm going to miss looking forward to the next game whether it's against StL or PIT.

I'm going to miss watching the games on FSO and listening to them on WLW no matter how much the announcers drive me crazy.

I'm going to miss the posting of the lineups in the game thread and the debate that follows.

I'm going to miss chat and everyone saying, "PEACE" after an opposing hitter strikes out.

I'm going to miss the magic of the Rally Onion when the Reds need a rally.

I'm going to miss what Votto did at the plate this year.

I'm going to miss Brandon making incredible plays at 2B and his infectious smile.

I'm going to miss OCab's RBIs.

I'm going to miss Rolen throwing a strike to 1st after diving for a ball.

I'm going to miss Gomes swinging from the heels hit or miss.

I'm going to miss Stubbs incredible power and tracking a ball down in CF.

I'm going to miss Jay Bruce's Platinum Glove in RF and that division winning HR.

I'm going to miss Razor Ramon and Ryan Hanigan (and Corky's stache) behind the plate and what they did at the plate.

I'm going to miss Laynce Nix' hot streaks.

I'm going to miss Cairo's filling in for everyone and doing a stellar job.

I'm going to miss Paul Janish's bazooka at SS and his squeeze bunts.

I'm going to miss Heisey's pinch hits and good defense.

I'm going to miss Bronson's leg kick and knowing that more than likely we are going to get a good performance from him every 5th day.

I'm going to miss watching Cueto work through an opposing lineup and end up with 8 Ks.

I'm going to miss Aaron Harang.

I'm going to miss what Mike Leake did in the 1st half and what Travis Wood did in the 2nd half.

I'm going to miss Volquez coming back from Tommy John surgery.

I'm going to miss how Homer can dominate a lineup.

I'm going to miss Chapmania.

I'm going to miss how Ondrusek came back from a bad Opening Day performance and subsequent demotion to become a valuable middle reliever. I'm also going to miss when Daniel Ray Herrera stands next to him. It looks like a father and son game.

I'm going to miss Jordan Smith coming up and giving the Reds a lot of quality innings.

I'm going to miss Nick Masset coming back from a horrendous start to become a dominant arm again.

I'm going to miss Arthur Rhodes' scoreless streak and the hitch in his delivery.

I'm going to miss Bill Bray being the best part of the infamous "Trade".

I'm going to miss Micah Owings' bat.

I'm going to miss the ulcers Cordero gave me when he came on to save a game.

I'm going to miss the quality spot starts Maloney and LeCure gave us. I'm going to miss LeCure being a fine middle reliever.

I'll miss Fisher and Viola throwing the ball well.

I'm going to miss Dusty's interesting lineups.

I suppose before I know it, February will be here. But that hole in my heart is going to be there for a while.

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
As I drove to work today I started thinking that as far as Reds baseball goes, there's nothing to look forward to until ST. Sure, there's the playoffs and World Series but it's not quite the same because of the year the Reds had.

I'm going to miss looking forward to the next game whether it's against StL or PIT.

I'm going to miss watching the games on FSO and listening to them on WLW no matter how much the announcers drive me crazy.

I'm going to miss the posting of the lineups in the game thread and the debate that follows.

I'm going to miss chat and everyone saying, "PEACE" after an opposing hitter strikes out.

I'm going to miss the magic of the Rally Onion when the Reds need a rally.

I'm going to miss what Votto did at the plate this year.

I'm going to miss Brandon making incredible plays at 2B and his infectious smile.

I'm going to miss OCab's RBIs.

I'm going to miss Rolen throwing a strike to 1st after diving for a ball.

I'm going to miss Gomes swinging from the heels hit or miss.

I'm going to miss Stubbs incredible power and tracking a ball down in CF.

I'm going to miss Jay Bruce's Platinum Glove in RF and that division winning HR.

I'm going to miss Razor Ramon and Ryan Hanigan (and Corky's stache) behind the plate and what they did at the plate.

I'm going to miss Laynce Nix' hot streaks.

I'm going to miss Cairo's filling in for everyone and doing a stellar job.

I'm going to miss Paul Janish's bazooka at SS and his squeeze bunts.

I'm going to miss Heisey's pinch hits and good defense.

I'm going to miss Bronson's leg kick and knowing that more than likely we are going to get a good performance from him every 5th day.

I'm going to miss watching Cueto work through an opposing lineup and end up with 8 Ks.

I'm going to miss Aaron Harang.

I'm going to miss what Mike Leake did in the 1st half and what Travis Wood did in the 2nd half.

I'm going to miss Volquez coming back from Tommy John surgery.

I'm going to miss how Homer can dominate a lineup.

I'm going to miss Chapmania.

I'm going to miss how Ondrusek came back from a bad Opening Day performance and subsequent demotion to become a valuable middle reliever. I'm also going to miss when Daniel Ray Herrera stands next to him. It looks like a father and son game.

I'm going to miss Jordan Smith coming up and giving the Reds a lot of quality innings.

I'm going to miss Nick Masset coming back from a horrendous start to become a dominant arm again.

I'm going to miss Arthur Rhodes' scoreless streak and the hitch in his delivery.

I'm going to miss Bill Bray being the best part of the infamous "Trade".

I'm going to miss Micah Owings' bat.

I'm going to miss the ulcers Cordero gave me when he came on to save a game.

I'm going to miss the quality spot starts Maloney and LeCure gave us. I'm going to miss LeCure being a fine middle reliever.

I'll miss Fisher and Viola throwing the ball well.

I'm going to miss Dusty's interesting lineups.

I suppose before I know it, February will be here. But that hole in my heart is going to be there for a while.

Nice post, Chip. I agree. As soon as Rolen struck out to end the game, it hit me that the season was over and there would be no more Reds baseball until February. I love the Reds and baseball so much, it's a huge part of my life, so I'm always sad when the season ends. It's only been two days and I already miss the Reds.

I'm sad that it's over, but at the same time I think we have some things to look forward to. In less than a month we'll find out if Joey Votto wins the MVP that he deserves, or if Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips win the Gold Gloves they deserve. Then there is Redsfest at the beginning of December. Redsfest is an amazing event, I can't wait to go again this year. I'm telling you folks, if you've never been, go. You will enjoy it, especially this year as the Reds will celebrate the 2010 NL Central Division Championship, plus Chapman will more than likely be there. Also, I'm curious to see what type of moves the Reds make this offseason. This could be a fun offseason.

But, yeah, I'm ready for spring training.

IslandRed
10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Good posts in this thread.

I'm disappointed we didn't get to the destination we wanted, but more than any other sport, baseball's about the journey. And this one was fun.

Matt700wlw
10-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm always going to be able to say that I was there when Jay Bruce hit the clincher. The most exciting moment I have ever been to at a sporting event.

There's a lot more, but that was the absolute best. I hope there are more to come, and I hope they top it :)

Tommyjohn25
10-13-2010, 12:08 AM
I miss my team. :(

Strikes Out Looking
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
The season was fun -- it illustrated why I believe baseball is the greatest sport of all. There were days when the Reds crushed the opposition, there were days when the opposition crushed the Reds. There were days when both teams crushed each other. There were new beginnings, there were career endings and there were historical moments. And we finish with great memories and more hope for the future then we've had since October of 1970.

As I get older, I don't wish for the time to fly by, but really, hearing the phrase "pitchers and catchers report" can't some soon enough.

Redsfan320
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I love the Reds and baseball so much, it's a huge part of my life, so I'm always sad when the season ends. It's only been two days and I already miss the Reds.

I know. :( Can't wait for ST to start. Already got a pic of Goodyear Stadium up as my desktop (and very soon to be my avatar).

Unassisted
10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm happy that the team made progress.

I'm even more happy that the Reds, for the first time in many years, have a front office making effective decisions rather than just cost-effective decisions.