PDA

View Full Version : Unentertaining series.

Wheelhouse
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I like this Reds team, but words I'd use to describe this series: unprofessional, lackluster, unprepared, unfocused, flustered...

And the worst: unentertaining. None of the games were fun to watch. It was interminable: like waiting to be seen at the Emergency Room. This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball. This was bad product. I did not expect the Reds to win. I DID expect to see good baseball.

reds1869
10-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I like this Reds team, but words I'd use to describe this series: unprofessional, lackluster, unprepared, unfocused, flustered...

And the worst: unentertaining. None of the games were fun to watch. It was interminable: like waiting to be seen at the Emergency Room. This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball. This was bad product. I did not expect the Reds to win. I DID expect to see good baseball.

I placed my 2011 deposit this afternoon. I think many others will do the same.

UKFlounder
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Yep - some teams go down with a fight, doing everything they can to win and others just go gently into that good night.

Oh well. It beats the heck out of a losing season anyway

Razor Shines
10-10-2010, 11:50 PM

I agree about it being bad baseball and no fun to watch. The rest I don't know.

edabbs44
10-10-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure that a 3 game series is going to trump a 162 game season.

dman
10-10-2010, 11:51 PM
This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball.

Bad series or not, I don't think that it'll affect season ticket sales. First division clinch in 15 years, I think season tix sales for next year will be up considerably. OTOH, if they go back to their old ways of losing again, they'll drop substantially.

The Operator
10-10-2010, 11:57 PM
This ending will not spoil the awesomeness of this season for me. Yes, it wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not going to let it ruin how awesome this summer was and how it felt to be watching meaningful baseball again. No way.

And as far as ticket sales, I'm very strongly considering a 20-game package for next year. And I'm a "broke as a joke" college kid. So I think it's safe to say the ticket sales will be a bit better.

dman
10-11-2010, 12:04 AM
All I know is that I couldn't take watching this last game. I don't much enjoy watching the opposing team celebrate their victories on our teams home turf. Just a pet peeve of mine.

dougdirt
10-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Scott Rolen channeled Reggie Sanders circa 1995.
Our awesome defense played like the Bad News Bears before Buttermaker showed up.
Our MVP went 1-11 in the series without a walk.

Our pitching did post a 2.52 ERA in the series. So I guess that is the upside?

Homer Bailey
10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Reds have the best offense in the NL, and get shut out in games 1 and 3. Best defense in the majors, and make 4 errors to lose game 2. Pitchers actually pitch well, and we're swept in 3 games. Baseball is a stupid, stupid game.

paintmered
10-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Scott Rolen channeled Reggie Sanders circa 1995.
Our awesome defense played like the Bad News Bears before Buttermaker showed up.
Our MVP went 1-11 in the series without a walk.

Our pitching did post a 2.52 ERA in the series. So I guess that is the upside?

Our MVP also had 2010 Reggie Sanders and Gomes hitting behind him. The Phillies didn't have a single reason to pitch to Votto.

Patrick Bateman
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure that a 3 game series is going to trump a 162 game season.

Agreed. As good of a chance of us breaking out and winning the series was that of a diaster.

All this shows is that beggars can indeed be choosers.

And I'm one of them. Was a sour ending to a really fun season. First time I cried since I was a kid. Just was expecting more, but that's life. We have lots of young talent, lets hope its not one and done with this bunch.

dougdirt
10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Our MVP also had 2010 Reggie Sanders and Gomes hitting behind him. The Phillies didn't have a single reason to pitch to Votto.

And yet Votto reached base once in 11 times to the plate. If your reasoning is true (and I won't argue it at all), its on him for not taking a pass or three.

oregonred
10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Game 2 was the all-time nightmare and one of the worst nights of my life as a Reds fan, but it wasn't short on drama. Game 1 (for Reds fans only) was an all-time snoozefest but for the rest of the country an unbelieveable sports moment and Game 3 was a complete snoozer to anyone without rooting interest in the game. We only lacked Co-Co blowing a 9th inning lead tonight to complete the Cincinnati big stage let down jackpot.

In this series, let's face it, the Reds should have won game 2 and then lost the series 3-1 after Doc's 3-hitter tomorrow night. The Reds were effectively a $45M rag-tag outfit ($70M minus Harang and Coco) with stagefright going against a $140M mega-market, 2-time defending league champion with the resources to acquire three mercenary aces in just the last 12-months. (Lee, Doc and Oswalt). When the braintrust inexplicably decided no to go all out for the second seed for homefield advantage over the last couple of weeks the fate was sealed for 2010 ending in a thud against the Phils. I'm ok with that, it beats the last ten years of crapola.

On the postive side: Wood, Bailey and Cueto all looked excellent on the big stage. That bodes well for 2011+ and another division championship run. A shame Rolen was obviously nowhere close to 100%.

Dusty's senseless loyalty to the mediocre OCab cost the Reds by giving Hamels a 1-0 lead and providing 3 effortless outs for Hamels. Giving Philly a lead was psychologically huge, I just had the sick feeling that that alone was going to be enough by giving Hamels comfort and raising his game a notch. Let's only hope the GM is smart enough to pass on OCab's option next year. LF is such an obvious and easy upgrade it's not worth beating that horse. Dusty is loyal to a fault for sure, but the players love him.

Nevertheless, a division champ banner will look good on the wall on Opening Day. Much room for obvious improvement next year at LF, SS, a breakout year for Jay Bruce and the overall pitching staff ERA will be well under 4.00. Baby steps...

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2010, 01:36 AM
The Reds got buzz-sawed by the best team $141 million dollars could buy.

It's the inescapable reality of baseball -- a feel good story or a fun team rarely has a chance against a team that can go out and buy a Cy Young award winner in the offseason.

Onward to 2011. Time for Walt to go find a SS and a LF to solidify the lineup, and for some decisions to be made about the rotation. We might not be able to go write a check for Roy Halladay, but if Chapman / Bailey / Volquez can all take steps forward next year, maybe we can hold our own enough to knock off a team like the Phillies.

In the meantime, I hope the Phillies get swept in the NLCS. Annoying team from a dirty, mostly-worthless city that's only claim to fame is a fictional athlete and creating a heart-attack-on-a-bun sandwich.

Griffey012
10-11-2010, 01:43 AM
It was a terrible series for the Reds, but I absolutely cannot wait til the start of next season. I really am not nearly as upset as I thought I would be getting swept in the playoffs because it has been such a fun and amazing season.

And I have to disagree, the series was still entertaining. After never really getting to experience post-season baseball in my lifetime, I was giddy all week up until Wednesday, needless to say it wasn't real exciting for us Reds fans, but actually watching playoff baseball involving my team was plenty exciting. Game 2 was one helluva exciting roller coaster that had me jumping up and yelling in celebration quickly followed by removing any objects from my surroundings that I could throw. Game 3, well it was needless to say pretty unentertaining.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Oregon and Caveat have given me the only joy I have experienced in the past 24 hours with these two posts.

So true and thank you.

Time for nigh nigh and a break from the Redszone. It was a fun year, but a serious buzz kill ending.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 01:47 AM
The first 5 innings of Friday nights game were fun to watch. Bruce hitting an upper deck bomb. Phillips was doing his thing. Arroyo took the ball and delivered. Until they predictably melted down we had them on the ropes.

Other than that, you're right. Votto didn't show up. Rolen didn't have it. Gomes isn't a 5-hole. It makes things simple when those guys do nothing.

The Operator
10-11-2010, 02:29 AM
In the meantime, I hope the Phillies get swept in the NLCS. Annoying team from a dirty, mostly-worthless city that's only claim to fame is a fictional athlete and creating a heart-attack-on-a-bun sandwich.Word. Giants or Braves, and it's looking Giants, all the way in the NLCS.

Can't stand that town or those fans. They boo'd Santa Claus. They even boo when their own batters step out of the box. They honestly might be the worst in the entire game, even worse than Cubs fans.

They absolutely do not deserve the caliber of team they're getting treated to right now. And I hope they have some good whistlers in SF.

dougdirt
10-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips both reached base 4 times in the series. Drew Stubbs did so 3 times. The entire rest of the team reached base 4 times combined in the 3 game series.

That is about as un-entertaining as it gets.

redsmetz
10-11-2010, 05:31 AM
I have very mixed emotions about the end of the club's season.

I'll start with some technical issues.

First, I absolutely hate the arrangement MLB has with TBS and only broadcasting on cable. I saw only two innings of the TBS broadcast in the series and that's because my wife & I had dinner at Skyline for Game 1. Why on earth do they no enter into some agreement for the clubs involved to have the game simulcast on a non-cable station in the same way the NFL does with an ESPN broadcast.

Second, mlb.tv is just awful. Absolutely awful. We watched with my daughter's from about the 6th inning on and the limitations having to jump from camera to camera, it's just impossible to find continuity in the game narrative visually. Ugh!

What was most disappointing is that the magic of this club wasn't seen on the national stage. Having not seen the games, I couldn't say whether they looked awed or overwhelmed. But the spark this club had certainly wasn't there and it feels like the rest of the country may think these guys were pretenders. I would disagree, but nearly every flaw showed up here in the end.

I'm more sad than anything. Not even ready to starting counting down to Spring Training; probably need a few weeks for that (end of Series). I agree with whoever said it, I hope the Phillies get thrashed. Nothing against the team in particular, I just don't like this taste and I'm fine with them getting it back. Normally I like to see the team that beat us go all the way, always found some vindication in that, but not this year.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 07:26 AM

I love Votto and the fact that he is a Red, but there is zero reason to make excuses for him. While people are looking for players to throw under the bus, just throw a dart at the non-pitcher part of the roster. You'll likely hit someone who contributed to this sweep.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Jay Bruce and Brandon Phillips both reached base 4 times in the series. Drew Stubbs did so 3 times. The entire rest of the team reached base 4 times combined in the 3 game series.

That is about as un-entertaining as it gets.

Bruce walked three times, homered and singled. Reaching base 5 times. He had a good series considering.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I love Votto and the fact that he is a Red, but there is zero reason to make excuses for him. While people are looking for players to throw under the bus, just throw a dart at the non-pitcher part of the roster. You'll likely hit someone who contributed to this sweep.

I knew Votto would lay an egg this series, and I knew 99% of Reds fans would be able to face the music and talk about this.

Great regular season; did not show up for the playoffs or get it done. Votto was as bad as Rolen/Gomes in the playoffs. He didn't look like himself. If Votto shows up for this series things might have been different.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I knew Votto would lay an egg this series, and I knew 99% of Reds fans would be able to face the music and talk about this.

Great regular season; did not show up for the playoffs or get it done. Votto was as bad as Rolen/Gomes in the playoffs. He didn't look like himself. If Votto shows up for this series things might have been different.

When you are facing top pitching, you need your top hitters to set the tone and make some noise. Unfortunately, Joey was nowhere to be found for this series. Rolen as well.

It is what it is, this series was a team effort. After reading the quotes it is obvious that these guys are realists. They understand that this wasn't their time. Next year is a different story.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
When you are facing top pitching, you need your top hitters to set the tone and make some noise. Unfortunately, Joey was nowhere to be found for this series. Rolen as well.

It is what it is, this series was a team effort. After reading the quotes it is obvious that these guys are realists. They understand that this wasn't their time. Next year is a different story.

And hopefully, next year Johnny Gomes isn't force-fed to us in the 5 hole against elite pitching in the playoffs. And Jay Bruce hitting 7th. I like Dusty but sometimes he is the cause of problems.

westofyou
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Yeah, you knew it eh?

What a load, I bet if he rocked you would have know that too.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
And hopefully, next year Johnny Gomes isn't force-fed to us in the 5 hole against elite pitching in the playoffs. And Jay Bruce hitting 7th. I like Dusty but sometimes he is the cause of problems.

Sometimes we focus on the wrong things. The top 4 went 3-16. Jay's 1-3 wouldn't have slotted anywhere last night. He also had his chance with a RISP from the 7 hole and didn't convert.

Take that lineup and do whatever you wish with it, nothing was going to change the outcome.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah, you knew it eh?

What a load, I bet if he rocked you would have know that too.

Pouncing on another post of mine, eh?

Unfortunately, I've got you covered on this one.

http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2010/10/baseball-show-nlds-preview-show.html

Listen to when I talk about the Reds series. Second half of the show. And I quote, "I wouldn't be surprised to see Joey Votto go 1 for 12 in this series".

I'd been happy to have been wrong, but to jump out and say 'what a load'? What gives man?

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Sometimes we focus on the wrong things. The top 4 went 3-16. Jay's 1-3 wouldn't have slotted anywhere last night. He also had his chance with a RISP from the 7 hole and didn't convert.

Take that lineup and do whatever you wish with it, nothing was going to change the outcome.

Last night was so meager in terms of results, you had to look who got good swings. Jay had good swings off Hamels. And with the way he played the last two months of the season, he warranted a 5-hole in this series or even a two hole more than Gomes. Vs. LHP or RHP.

Dusty has a weird fetish with hitting this kid 7th or 6th. I don't get it.

westofyou
10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Pouncing on another post of mine, eh?

Unfortunately, I've got you covered on this one.

http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2010/10/baseball-show-nlds-preview-show.html

Listen to when I talk about the Reds series. Second half of the show. And I quote, "I wouldn't be surprised to see Joey Votto go 1 for 12 in this series".

I'd been happy to have been wrong, but to jump out and say 'what a load'? What gives man?
Coin flip analysis is how I see it, sorry to "pounce" but I find clairvoyance to mostly be a parlor trick.

WVRed
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Believe it or not, I have absolutely nothing against the Phillies. They were clearly the better team and are actually a pretty good model for the Reds to look up to. In 2007, they were swept by the Colorado Rockies in a similar fashion to the Reds this year. The following year, they went on to win the World Series. The fans give you every reason to hate them, but as an organization, they have really come a long way.

As for the Reds performance this series, this was the first time a lot of these players had been in the playoffs. It's not surprising seeing the younger players choke (unfortunately, that is the word), but what really surprised me was the veteran players such as Rolen and Cabrera (although the injury may have been a factor).

oneupper
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Boring. Frustrating. Boring.

The 2011 REDS could be the 2008 Phillies. Or they could be the 1971 Reds.

Blimpie
10-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Personally, I think that 12 hours after their playoff exit is a bit too soon to try to place their 2010 season in perspective.

Unassisted
10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
The Reds got buzz-sawed by the best team $141 million dollars could buy.

It's the inescapable reality of baseball -- a feel good story or a fun team rarely has a chance against a team that can go out and buy a Cy Young award winner in the offseason.
The article in my morning paper pointed out what an incredible luxury it is for the Phillies to have the 2008 WS MVP as their #3 starter. Kinda puts the loss for the Reds into perspective.

Homer Bailey
10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Reds had a .373 OPS for the series. That's a record for the NLDS.

Puffy
10-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Man, the Reds made the playoffs. They had their first winning season since 2000. They were built by Jocketty to be competitive this year and a playoff team next year. They are a year ahead of schedule. They lost to a team which was built to make the playoffs (not dominate regular season) and then dominate in playoffs with front loaded pitching.

I loved this season and i have complete faith in Jocketty for next season. Each journey begins with a single step......

macro
10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Boring. Frustrating. Boring.

The 2011 REDS could be the 2008 Phillies. Or they could be the 1971 Reds.

Yes, and not to mention, the 1991 Reds.

oneupper
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, and not to mention, the 1991 Reds.

Yeah. I just thought the 1971 version was more appropriate since they fell short in the post-season the previous year.

Maybe 1974 or 1996. Two teams which followed early exits the previous year and didn't make it back although they were over/at .500. The 1974 team was pretty good, but the Dodgers won the division.

cincrazy
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't stand the Phillies, or their fans. But I do take some comfort in knowing that we didn't just lose to ANY team, we lost to a juggernaut. We lost to one of the best NL teams of the last 60+ years.

Take some notes, improve this team in the offseason, come back stronger. The Phillies are an older bunch, their reign can't last forever. Would be nice to supplant them, eh? :).

blumj
10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Reds had a .373 OPS for the series. That's a record for the NLDS.

I realize it probably isn't that comforting a thought, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if the Giants or Braves did about the same or worse in the NLCS, especially if the Phillies don't have to use a 4th starter.

oregonred
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
The Phillies are 52-19 in their last 71 games. Winning 3/4 for almost half of a season when most of those wins mattered after a slow first half, that's elite and historic territory. The 2000 Mariners, the 1970 Reds (70-30 start) and '75 BRM are but a few that come to mind.

After a lost weekend, 52-19 puts the buzzsaw the Reds faced in perspective.

The Phillies should roll to a WS Championship. I do think the Giants will test them and take it at least 6.

macro
10-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah. I just thought the 1971 version was more appropriate since they fell short in the post-season the previous year.

Maybe 1974 or 1996. Two teams which followed early exits the previous year and didn't make it back although they were over/at .500. The 1974 team was pretty good, but the Dodgers won the division.

Oh, okay, gotcha. I was just thinking in terms of teams that seemed set up to contend for years but didn't.

Screwball
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
First, I absolutely hate the arrangement MLB has with TBS and only broadcasting on cable. I saw only two innings of the TBS broadcast in the series and that's because my wife & I had dinner at Skyline for Game 1. Why on earth do they no enter into some agreement for the clubs involved to have the game simulcast on a non-cable station in the same way the NFL does with an ESPN broadcast.

Wait a second.

Screwball
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Wait, you don't have cable?

PuffyPig
10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
It was clear that Rolen was quite banged up for this series, so I don't like the choke label on him (or any other player for that matter).

We lost, not many gave us a chance to win anyway.

Great season.

We look good going forward in 2011.

Chip R
10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
"Green Fields of the Mind"

A. Bartlett Giamatti

"The Green Fields of the Mind "

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
The Phillies should roll to a WS Championship. I do think the Giants will test them and take it at least 6.

Or at least to the WS -- where they'll likely meet the other team that has the baseball equivalent of the AMEX Black to fill just about any need.

My hope is that this 2010 season rallies the fanbase when season ticket deposits come due, and convinces the owner to let Walt go buy some help for the ballclub.

The core of this team looks to be incredibly strong: Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Phillips, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, Chapman, Wood, Leake, Masset, Ondrusek, etc. The club is not only loaded with talent, it has talent to spare in the rotation (7 guys, counting Arroyo, for 5 spots) and on the diamond (Alonso / Heisey). There are reinforcements coming from AAA in the form of Mesoraco, Frazier (who can hopefully turn his 2010 around), and possibly Francisco.

A few key acquisitions -- at SS and LF especially -- via free-agency or of the "sell a couple kids and take on a big contract" variety could move this ballclub to the next level.

Now it's on Walt and the Ownership. You've seen what it takes to compete at the next level. Your competition won't sit idle this offseason, you shouldn't either.

Roy Tucker
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I think I need a few weeks to appreciate this season. This NLDS is a little too raw for me still.

Being a fan doesn't mean always being rational and logical.

edabbs44
10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Or at least to the WS -- where they'll likely meet the other team that has the baseball equivalent of the AMEX Black to fill just about any need.

My hope is that this 2010 season rallies the fanbase when season ticket deposits come due, and convinces the owner to let Walt go buy some help for the ballclub.

The core of this team looks to be incredibly strong: Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Phillips, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, Chapman, Wood, Leake, Masset, Ondrusek, etc. The club is not only loaded with talent, it has talent to spare in the rotation (7 guys, counting Arroyo, for 5 spots) and on the diamond (Alonso / Heisey). There are reinforcements coming from AAA in the form of Mesoraco, Frazier (who can hopefully turn his 2010 around), and possibly Francisco.

A few key acquisitions -- at SS and LF especially -- via free-agency or of the "sell a couple kids and take on a big contract" variety could move this ballclub to the next level.

Now it's on Walt and the Ownership. You've seen what it takes to compete at the next level. Your competition won't sit idle this offseason, you shouldn't either.

Let's hope they get the support from the fans as well.

Everyone is comparing this result to Philly's 2007 playoff series. Here is a snapshot of what has happened since then:

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/FDGmc

Payroll has exploded since they started this run. Hopefully the team can follow this path as well.

VR
10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Oregon and Caveat have given me the only joy I have experienced in the past 24 hours with these two posts.

So true and thank you.

Time for nigh nigh and a break from the Redszone. It was a fun year, but a serious buzz kill ending.

Sheesh, no kidding. Great points OR and CE. :beerme:

GAC
10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Man, the Reds made the playoffs. They had their first winning season since 2000. They were built by Jocketty to be competitive this year and a playoff team next year. They are a year ahead of schedule. They lost to a team which was built to make the playoffs (not dominate regular season) and then dominate in playoffs with front loaded pitching.

I loved this season and i have complete faith in Jocketty for next season. Each journey begins with a single step......

Dude, you rock! And I couldn't have said it any better.

We were "entertained" for the entire regular season. Yeah, I'm bummed at the first round outcome, but facing a 1-2-3 punch (maybe the best in the NL) of Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamel would frustrate most teams (and fans) in a short post-season series. And even going in, while I maintained my optimism because anything can happen, in the back of my mind I knew we were facing an uphill battles to begin with.

I want to see how the remaining opposition fares against this Phillies rotation the rest of the way. Maybe, just maybe, they're THAT GOOD. They've been to the WS in the past 2 years, and could be well on their way to a third. Their experience, because they've been there before, shows. Our inexperience, because it's been quite awhile for us, also was evident.

If anyone judges or bases their overall evaluation of this team based solely on their performance in this series, then IMO it's not a valued assessment.

Razor Shines
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Nice post, that is a good looking core. One point I would add is that we've been saying the Reds need to upgrade SS and LF all year, I think we're slowly realizing that they're going to need a 3rd baseman as well. I'd like to think that Rolen can come out and produce for half a season again, but I'm doubtful. This year may have finally wore him down, he may be done.

UKFlounder
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Great post! That's probably the best way to sum up all my feelings. In my mind, I know the Reds had a fine year and I should be showing "appreciation" on those other threads, but my heart still hurts and guts are still sore.

Not only am I not logical and rational about the Reds right now, I don't want to be so yet.

Sigh...

I think I need a few weeks to appreciate this season. This NLDS is a little too raw for me still.

Being a fan doesn't mean always being rational and logical.

redsmetz
10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Great post! That's probably the best way to sum up all my feelings. In my mind, I know the Reds had a fine year and I should be showing "appreciation" on those other threads, but my heart still hurts and guts are still sore.

Not only am I not logical and rational about the Reds right now, I don't want to be so yet.

Sigh...

I think I wrote this last night, but my younger daughter called from Chicago where she and her roommate (our old next door neighbor) were at a "Cincinnati" bar enjoying some 3 ways and watching the game. She was surprised I wasn't listening to the game. I told her we were watching something else. Then after that was over, I wasn't keen on watching on mlb.tv (and as I know I said, what an awful way to watch a game). This morning I got up from the breakfast table and went and got my book to get Lonnie Wheeler's book "Sixty Feet, Six Inches". My wife asked why I wasn't reading the sports page, and the front page had stories and some history of the Reds in the Local section. Just didn't feel like it. Tonight my oldest daughter called from DC walking home from work. She figured she'd see how I was doing (I have great kids!). She also was surprised at my reactions. I agree, it's going to take a while to think through it, but overall it was a great season.

My wife's older brother wrote because he lives in the Twin Cities and wanted to commisserate over our teams' bowing out so quickly. My wife sent him this great Bart Giamatti quote:

"The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Her brother had sent Rogers Hornsby's quote, "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring."

Sometime soon, I'll resurrect the winter reading thread. Time to hunker down.

Roy Tucker
10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
My wife asked why I wasn't reading the sports page, and the front page had stories and some history of the Reds in the Local section. Just didn't feel like it.

I guess we're peas from the same pod. I didn't read the sports page this AM either. "Just didn't feel like it" sums it up perfectly.

I saw all the Reds stuff and read the comics and my horoscope instead.

My horoscope said "in order to win, you first must believe you can". Which seemed strangely appropriate.

M2
10-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I suspect the 1975 and 1976 NLCSes were tough to watch from the other side of the fence (in fact, I know Phillies fans winced their way through the '76 NLCS because I saw it firsthand).

This Phillies team might be the best NL club since the BRM. It's built to steamroll the competition. The Reds were just extras in this year's October drama.